[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beretta or Glock and first gun?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: Beretta and Glock.jpg (576KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Beretta and Glock.jpg
576KB, 1024x768px
Hello /k/, first time poster, i am currently thinking about buying either a Glock 21 .45 ACP or a Beretta 92FS 9mm. I am currently 18 never owned or shot a gun before but have been visiting my local gun shop once in a while. I have done some research on both guns and i'm leaning toward the beretta because it's cheap. I do plan on taking firearm safety courses and learning about the mechanicals of the gun. I am buying it through a private party and my budget is $500-$700. Any suggestions? I want a gun for practice shooting and personal protection.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
>>
>>35104311
Also anything i should look out for when inspecting the gun? Is there any issues that i should be aware of when looking at it?
>>
File: 10105872.jpg (20KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
10105872.jpg
20KB, 500x500px
Neither. Get a glock 19. You won't regret it. Big enough to learn small enough to carry.

-berettas are heavy and dumb, and double/single action is dumb and old
-45 acp is around .30 a shell, you need to shoot more than that for a first gun
-get a new glock 19 gen 3 and spend the rest on practice and ammo
>>
>>35104311
Berettas are great quality, extremely skft shooters, and it was also my first handhun.

Starting out with a Glock 21 is inadvisable, if you insist on a Glock go with a 19 or 17. 9mm is the most well-rounded handgun caliber, very mild recoil, easy to shoot even +P+ defensive loads out of, good mag capacities. .45 ACP out of a relatively light handgun as your first gun could create some bad habits.

Depending on where you live you probably can't even buy either of these guns because you're not 21. For a first rifle I say you should get a CZ 455/452/512, Ruger 10/22, or Savage A22. .22 is cheap, (now) plentiful, no recoil, and the important thing is you can develop and nearly perfect your marksmanship skills on a .22 rifle.
>>
>>35104386
You might be right about looking into a Glock 19 but to buy it new i'd have to go through a dealer. So i might have to look for a used one.
>>35104431
Specifically i live in Nevada, Clark county to be exact. I can buy a handgun through private sale using a bill of sale but not through a dealer. Would it be an issue when buying ammo? I might start looking into rifles so thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>>35104311
neither get a cz75b
>>
>>35104311
Berettas are way more fun to shoot, dissasemble, and look at (subjective).

9 is cheaper than .45 too, so you may be inclined to practice more. Overall i do think a Beretta is also of slightly better quality than Glock, manufacturing-wise, but that is just my experience (ie., all new berettas ive seen are pristine, but Ive seen NIB gen 4s that had minor scratches)
>>
>>35104570
>>>35104311 (OP)
>neither get a cz75b
This. Cz75b is where its at
>>
>>35104311
If you plan on upgrading soon after purchasing, go Glock
If you plan on using this purchase on a carry piece, go Beretta.
Also don't get a Glock in .45acp, stick with 9mm.
>>35104345
scratches, pitting, chips on the internals, clean and clear bore, and how the finish is holding up.
>>
>>35104311
>I am currently 18
You may want to doublecheck the laws in your state. I know most states do not allow the purchase of handguns until you're 21.
>>
>>35104311
also read the damn sticky next time
>http://amagicalplace.wikia.com/wiki/Sticky#First_Pistol
>>
Beretta
>>
>>35104311
If you have a 500-700 budget just get a Glock 19 Gen 4, you won't regret it, 9mm like the baretta that you would get but it's a practical cc gun
>>
>>35104311
>>35104345

Either is good. I got into handguns last year when I turned 21 after studying and dreaming about them through college. My dad was a fudd until he tried what I started getting. I went with glock because I like the way they look and being able to share magazines between all of the double stacks in the same caliber.

If you go with glock, make sure you do not get the 17; it's not the length of the gun but the height that makes it so bad and if you're going full size might as well make it a target pistol and get a 34. I'm 6'4 and it's just doable to carry the 19 when sitting but I have no problem doing the 34 standing.

In that price range, those are good choices for reliable guns with good, cheap magazines and aftermarket.
>>
>>35105719

Shit, I misread the glock 21 part. Again go for the target model if you do, you won't regret the accuracy for a gun nearly the same size.
>>
Taurus pt92 (Beretta clone) can be had new for under $350 and their customer service is excellent. If you are looking for a firearm for concealed carry don't get a full sized. Get a sub/compact. I've owned a few Glocks in .45 including the 36 and the 30s. Reliable but snappy due to being a polymer gun.
>>
Berettas are very comfy, the glock needs a trigger job to shoot as well as the Beretta will out of the box.
>>
>>35104510
I know Walmart will not sell handgun ammunition to anyone under 21 even if it's for a carbine. Expect the same from any big box stores or lgs run by fudds
>>
Get the g21. G19 fags are retarded
>>
>>35104311
Either one is fine. I'd personally prefer the 92. Handle both and see what features you like and go with that.
>>
File: 20170818_104812.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
20170818_104812.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>35105719
>>
File: 350px-GIJoe2GlockRoadblock1.jpg (26KB, 350x264px) Image search: [Google]
350px-GIJoe2GlockRoadblock1.jpg
26KB, 350x264px
Glock 21, it's the biggest frame glock and can be easily converted to nearly every popular pistol cartridge including 9mm. Usually just a new barrel and magazine for each cartridge
>>
>>35104311
Ive always preferred berettas to shoot, strip and look at. Subjective but I know which I'd go with - ideally I'd want something smaller and easier to carry though.
>>
>>35104311
I'd also suggest that condition might be more important than anything else when buying used and not having a lot of options. Don't want your first experience of a gun to be spoiled by getting some beat to shit piece that keeps jamming on you.
>>
File: 1484249517579.jpg (37KB, 285x298px) Image search: [Google]
1484249517579.jpg
37KB, 285x298px
>>35104386
>and double/single action is dumb and old
>>
>>35104311
>I am currently 18
Most states require you to be 21 to buy a handgun.
>>
>>35104311
Most people buy a .22 rifle or handgun as their first gun so they can practice fundamentals on the cheap. Both 9mm and .45 are *relatively* cheap right now because there aren't any gun buying panics going on, but even with that, centerfire ammo is way more expensive than rimfire. Since you're under 21, that would make things a lot more logistically sensible for you.
>more affordable to buy the gun and shoot it for someone who probably doesn't have a high paying job
>don't have to deal with the hassle of gun shops or ranges refusing to sell you pistol ammo or to shoot pistols on their ranges

>>35104386
>buy the most popular handgun of all time because those other guns are dumb
Wow, what an intelligent response.

>>35104431
>Starting out with a Glock 21 is inadvisable, if you insist on a Glock go with a 19 or 17. 9mm is the most well-rounded handgun caliber, very mild recoil, easy to shoot even +P+ defensive loads out of, good mag capacities. .45 ACP out of a relatively light handgun as your first gun could create some bad habits.
You've never shot one. The Glock 21, especially Gen 4, is an extremely soft shooter.

>>35104510
>I can buy a handgun through private sale using a bill of sale but not through a dealer.
Just get a parent to buy the gun for you from a dealer. You should look this up for yourself, but I am not trolling when I say that buying a gun as a gift to a family member is considered an exception to the straw purchaser rule.

>>35105657
This is retarded advice. Nobody is going to "upgrade" their first gun right away, and he's 18, so he's not thinking about carry.

>>35105719
>>35105722
There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a full size grip, and a half inch longer barrel isn't going to make the gun more accurate. The Glock 19 is not the ultimate carry gun - it's a fat gun to stuff into your pants - and OP isn't even old enough to conceal and carry yet.
>>
>beretta 92 is way nicer looking, all metal quality
>glock is just a good solid ta- gun

if you go glock get a used 19, don't buy one new it's not really worth it
>>
>>35104311
Get yourself a "large frame" EAA Tanfoglio. Costs aroung the same price as a Glock usually if not cheaper, more robust construction, can be converted to damn near any caliber you want including some that you can't convert a Glock to without spending ridiculous amounts of money, they come stock with a better sight system and they are dead stupid simple to work on.

Not to mention it's a frame mounted safety, double/single action and can be half-cocked. They are great guns to get into the pistol world on and forgiving of mistakes. They also will take CZ-75b mags which are dirt cheap.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.