[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bladed weapons general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 16

File: 459467676189.jpg (15KB, 236x359px) Image search: [Google]
459467676189.jpg
15KB, 236x359px
Fake & Gay Edition

Previous abortion: >>35073188

>Using antiques for practice
>Spearfags lording over their superiority
>HEMA was ruined by GoT and Dark Souls
>>
File: swordnerds.jpg (181KB, 647x815px) Image search: [Google]
swordnerds.jpg
181KB, 647x815px
>>35103977
Sword shit is for fedoralords.
>HEMA was ruined by GoT and Dark Souls
kek, HEMA was always for butch queers who lord over the SCA ultra-fags.
>>
have some medieval swag:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EszwYNvvCjQ
>>
>>35104043
Daily reminder that HEMA covers more than just Middle Ages sources. It goes all the way up to the late 19th century.

For example...

- bayonet fencing
- sabre/cutlass
- smallsword
- bartitsu
>>
>>35103977
>he doesn't practise with an original Spanish smarra

[smug anime girl noises intensify]
>>
Anyone know of any sources involving sabre and buckler, or sabre and dagger.

Or would you at least consider it to be a reasonable thing that someone may have done in 19th/20th century
>>
File: e91.jpg (30KB, 600x640px) Image search: [Google]
e91.jpg
30KB, 600x640px
>>35103977

Okay, so considering all the britbong "eh wat m80" cavalry sabres and shit in the last thread, what is the availability like in North America?

And suppose I pick one up on the cheap, what's the procedure for getting it "battle ready" again? Take some steal wool and scrub off all the rust, then take it to a knife shop and have them sharpen it up? I don't want it looking like some dull old piece of shit, and I have a bunch of water bottles and cantaloupes ready to meet their maker.

Or maybe try a modern proof test, maybe do some blade binds with my Cold Steel Zombie Obliterator? Suggestions are welcome. I will for sure post results if I find one while antiquing this weekend.
>>
>>35103977
Would it be viable to have a Scottish Longsword length bayonet on a gun?
>>
File: SH2365[1].jpg (30KB, 215x450px) Image search: [Google]
SH2365[1].jpg
30KB, 215x450px
>>
File: IUyQqgC.jpg (64KB, 960x735px) Image search: [Google]
IUyQqgC.jpg
64KB, 960x735px
>You will never own a sword made by Peter Johnsson
>>
>>35104865
The availability is pretty shit in the us, although Canada may be different, because we missed the whole swords in warfare thing. They're fairly easy (and relatively inexpensive) to buy through online auction sites, though.
>>
>>35104865
Sorry. Hit post too soon.

For cleaning tips check out the Schola Gladiatoria channel on YouTube. He has a couple of videos on restoring antique swords. I would be careful when using an original saber for anything but cutting meat. They weren't designed for it and they won't last long through it. If you just want something to hit things with by from Cold Steel. It's what they're made for.
>>
https://youtu.be/2f8JJpiT0y4
>>
File: pistol-cutlass2.jpg (68KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
pistol-cutlass2.jpg
68KB, 640x480px
>>35104871

What, like mounted on a pistol? I would guess you need some sort of adapter to mount it on the accessory rail. Also it may end up a tad blade heavy, you'll need to mount a secondary pommel on the gun to bring the point of balance back. A bowling ball could work.

Whatever you do, make sure it doesn't end up fake and gay.
>>
>>35104853
saber was a military weapon up until 1939, so there are sources for that.
There are sources for British/French military saber, as well as treatises like Tallhoffer, Meyer, etc. that deal with sword and buckler.

The two "gray areas" are Polish Saber, which didn't leave much in the way of written sources - there's Marsden's book (Polish Saber), and a group called Sieniawski and Sons, that does seminars on cross cutting: https://www.youtube.com/user/sieniawskifencing/videos among others.

And the other is "viking" combat, since, again, there are no treatises (I don't consider the sagas to be equivalent to Lichtenauer's book). Here, your best bet is a guy called Roland Warzecha, who focuses a lot on biomechanics.

>>35104865
depends. If it's something like a civil war item, then maybe, but otherwise - just get one made. If you want a functional item, there is little point going for sentimental value over quality.
>>
File: mrl_stmfalc1.jpg (142KB, 600x920px) Image search: [Google]
mrl_stmfalc1.jpg
142KB, 600x920px
>>35104853
Sabre and buckler/dagger used together?

Sabres (at least the 19th/20th century ones) and bucklers weren't really around during the same time period, at least in Europe.

I've heard Indians paired their service swords with bucklers and some British officers also tried it out, though it was more the Brits doing it in the Indian style.
>>
File: Brandt_Towarzysz_pancerny.jpg (539KB, 1120x1048px) Image search: [Google]
Brandt_Towarzysz_pancerny.jpg
539KB, 1120x1048px
>>35105250
well, there's always these guys:

The small shield is of eastern origin, although it's arguably larger than a buckler.
>>
File: images~39.jpg (12KB, 572x257px) Image search: [Google]
images~39.jpg
12KB, 572x257px
My favorite machete
>>
>>35105709
and what exactly does that have to do with swords? take this shit to /out/
>>
>>35105745
Fuck up
It's a weapon, I'm not off topic.
>>
>>35105709
zombie slayer/10
>>
bumping with a pretty picture
>>
>>35105752
>Fake & Gay Edition
He's totally on topic.
>>
>>35107061
Nigga wot
>>
>>35104645
still filled with autistic shitlords who take themselves too seriously
>>
File: dazzle pensive.png (266KB, 667x429px) Image search: [Google]
dazzle pensive.png
266KB, 667x429px
dear spearchuckers of /k/,

Been thinking of a fake and gay spear with the shaft made out of aluminum for lighter weight and increased durability. However, since nobody really makes these, how would one go about making it at home?
>>
>>35107777
relax man it's all just for funsie wunsies
>>
>>35109058
>buy aluminum rod
>drill a hole
>buy spearhead
>attach spearhead
>add the set screw that probably came with your spearhead

Not sure aluminum is going to save you that much weight or be significantly more durable though.
>>
>>35109058
buy a real boar spear they are still made or boar hunting.
>>
Is it better to have a short sword and buckler or a hand and a half?
>>
>>35109058
you need something with flex for a spear like fiber-glass or carbon fiber

an aluminum shaft will bend and stay bent because it has a retardedly low yield strength unless you buy an expensive aerospace alloy
>>
Cold Steel offers the best blades. Prove me wrong. Protip: you can't
>muh weight
Not a problem unless you are a manlet or girl
>muh historical accuracy
Standards have only been introduced in the 19th century
>muh pommel
Has been fixed
>>
>>35110260
"I don't understand sword/blade geometrics or the function of a sword" The post
>>
>>35110151

A bastard sword seems to me like it requires:
- skill with the arming sword
- skill with the two handed sword
- the strength & skill to use a heavier sword single handed
- the strength & skill to do two handed sword techniques with a shorter grip
- room to do two handed techniques

OTHERWISE, you just end up with a slower arming sword, without the benefit of a buckler. Though I'm largely talking out of my ass here since I don't practice HEMA yet, it seems like if you have to ask this question, you won't be able to offset the compromises a bastard sword makes.

Added bonus for arming sword & buckler: some home defense ability. If some "refugees" come a knocking, they would rightly shit themselves if you greeted them with an arming sword and buckler:
- off hand melee defense
- off hand bashing ability
- an arming sword that isn't so long it's totally cumbersome to use indoors (especially if you go with one of the 28" blade varieties like an Oakeshott Type XIV, with balanced cutting and thrusting ability)
>>
>>35110151
>>35110366
Most civilians used arming sword/side sword/rapier + buckler rather than longsword so I guess it's generally better or at least easier to learn. If it's a short sword, the longsword probably wins on open ground and loses in confined spaces.
>>
>>35110151
>short sword
Nobody really uses the term "short sword" in actual fencing.

>Is it better to have a short sword and buckler or a hand and a half?
You can have a hand and a half AND a buckler.

It'll be slightly more cumbersome than a one-handed sword, but the whole point of the hand and a half is to be the jack of all trades.

>>35110473
>Most civilians used arming sword/side sword/rapier + buckler rather than longsword so I guess it's generally better or at least easier to learn
You have to keep in mind that it's just easier to carry around a one-handed sword and a buckler than it is a longsword. Something being carried more doesn't necessarily mean it was better.

IMO, longsword was easier for me to pick up because it's harder to coordinate two separate weapons.
>>
>>35110532
>easier to carry around a one-handed sword
Well rapiers of similar length were carried at the hip, so I guess that works fine. Of course if that's no requirement the longsword can be considerably longer and bigger.
>>
File: Halberd.jpg (10KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
Halberd.jpg
10KB, 400x500px
Who /polearm/ here?
>>
I have horses and I want to practice using melee weapons on them.

What weapons are best suited for horseback?

What material can I make safe practice lances out of for striking and rings and shit?
>>
File: 1393128876853.jpg (319KB, 528x661px) Image search: [Google]
1393128876853.jpg
319KB, 528x661px
>>35110786
And rapiers were replaced by smallswords.

Doesn't mean smallswords were better, just means combat effectiveness isn't the sole factor for why something was carried.
>>
>>35110366

a longsword (which a bastard sword is) is only marginally heavier than an arming sword. And you have two hands, and extra leverage.

A 117 cm long sword, with a 92 cm blade and a 25 cm grip (incl. pommel) has plenty of room on the grip. Ofcourse, if you can get an extra 5-10 cm of space there, go for it.

Also, an arming sword with something like a 85cm blade only has 5-10cm blade less, than the longsword - not a gamebreaker. Even with a short viking period sword (~70 cm blade on the low end), you don't gain that much maneuverability, and practically nothing in terms of speed.
>>
>>35110996
>I have horses and I want to practice using melee weapons on them

lol i was totally imagining something different until i read that second line
>>
File: bec-de-corbin.jpg (55KB, 695x521px) Image search: [Google]
bec-de-corbin.jpg
55KB, 695x521px
>>35103977
Crow's Beak master race come at me shitlords.
>>
File: Cold Steel Tosh.webm (3MB, 480x268px) Image search: [Google]
Cold Steel Tosh.webm
3MB, 480x268px
>>35110260
>Prove me wrong. Protip: you can't
lol
>>
>>35111465

Fancy pickaxe. I'm sure the other miners are gelatinous with envy.
>>
File: fakegay.png (402KB, 539x539px) Image search: [Google]
fakegay.png
402KB, 539x539px
>>35103977
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.