[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shoot To Kill

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: shoot to kill.jpg (452KB, 2880x1800px) Image search: [Google]
shoot to kill.jpg
452KB, 2880x1800px
So I was watching this YouTube Vid about Shooting to kill.

It states that fifty percent of all plane kills by the American air force was done by one percent of the air force while the other fifty percent was done by the other 99 percent.

So why are so many soldiers so scared to shoot to kill and how can we change it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zViyZGmBhvs
>>
>Lindybeige vid
100% chance video is based on hyperbole, anecdotes or a misunderstanding of source data
>>
You gotta read on killing. Great book. What you have two do is twofold: create a stress response that is killing; i.e. train so that when your dude rolls into a room and sees a man with a fat he automatically blasts him. Second is dehumanizing the enemy. Making sure that the hajji, goat fuckers, sand niggers, dune coons, whatever are not people like us Gatorade swilling, burger eating, not-little-boy-raping, American freedom warriors.

The third is only partially related but it is to remove the responsibility of killing. There are several ways go accomplish this, the easiest two are through crew served weapons, such as an artillery piece or a tank or what have you, or through a higher authority figure such as an NCO or officer telling the soldier to shoot. All things the modern army is very good at. Being an all volunteer army helps too. Our shooting rate is very high in the modern army.
>>
In ww2 you had the masses of average line pilots who were just ok. They could fly welk enough but they werent the best. Then you have that 1 in 100 who is actually good. Maby a master at one facet of air to air combat Then you have that 1 in a thousand. That guy who dosnt so much fly the plane as wear it can snap deflection shoot and has an almost inate understanding of energy managment.
>>
>>35101823
>>35101886
>>35101914
I've always been interested in these claims. Lots of people claim that many soldiers don't shoot to kill, but I've only heard speculation. Any sources or real data on this? It seems a little absurd.

Also, I've heard that we expend three tons of ammunition for each enemy we kill in Afghanistan. Is that true? Why?
>>
File: sex_panther-1.jpg (106KB, 1181x743px) Image search: [Google]
sex_panther-1.jpg
106KB, 1181x743px
>>35101823
>>
>>35101823
Because theyre little bitches who had healthy social lives and hang out with their little friends. Do you know what a psychopath is? Do you know what a sociopath is? Do you know what a murderer is?
>>
>>35102331
Suppressing fire against an enemy of indeterminate position mostly, but I seem to recall that the 200k rounds per kill figure included rounds fired on ranges, therefore much of it would be people zeroing their guns and rear echelon types requalifying.
>>
>>35101914
On Killing is drivel that's entirely based on a study that's been debunked and proven wrong for decades. It's also written by the douche bag, "scholarly warrior," type of officer who had never seen combat and has no business writing about what it takes to kill someone.
>>
>>35102331
> Lots of people claim that many soldiers don't shoot to kill

They fell for the SLA Marshall meme. Like Grossman of >>35101914 fame.

> I've heard that we expend three tons of ammunition for each enemy we kill in Afghanistan

Probably not that much, but "1000 rounds per kill" type figures include recon by fire and suppression fire. A textbook platoon reacting to contact from an enemy squad under a 100m will expend a solid thousand rounds minimum against less than 10 dudes, liekly a lot more.
>>
>>35102331
it's only 600 rounds
well
>only 600
>>
>>35102331
Again in modern times it's not true it's something like 98% of dudes are out to say some bodies but back in the day when most folks relied on conscript armies and had bad training that didn't focus on killing the rates were much lower. Now we have a professional army that trains to kill.

For a source look into a book called On Killing by a guy named David Grossman.

As far as shooting so much to kill folks that's an average not a running tally. Sonthats just we shot x amount of munitions vs killed this many people and that includes arty and air and small arms and everything. It adds up quick.
>>
>>35102437
I won't argue with the characterization of Grossman, but, you know, sources would be cool.
>>
>>35102331
Honestly a good chunk of my platoon didn't really put out any effort to kill. On my second tour with a bunch of younger guys I think probably only half of them ever hit anything. I later found out from one of my buddies that me and him were considered weirdos due to how aggressive we were about going after shit. We both were just doing our jobs and came off as blood thirsty to some 20 year old pukes.
>>
>>35101886
^^^
This anon is correct, OP. Lindybeige is only useful as a wiki page reader.
>>
>>35101823
It's a human function. Your brain doesn't want you to end someone's life, so you hesitate each shot until you're finally used to it. It's human mentality.
>>
File: 1504302824001.jpg (45KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1504302824001.jpg
45KB, 700x700px
>>35101914
>Making sure that the hajji, goat fuckers, sand niggers, dune coons, whatever are not people like us Gatorade swilling, burger eating, not-little-boy-raping, American freedom warriors.
>>
>>35102680
When was that tour and what kind of unit? The squad and team leaders can totally change the character if a unit and I've definitely seen some whole units who were pretty passive as a whole, but others that weren't, and I think it comes down to the atmosphere created by some of the NCOs, as cheesy as that sounds.
>>
>>35101823
Sounds like libby propaganda, killing in war looks fun as hell.
>>
>>35101823
This isn't unique to combat. 50% of everything worthwhile is done by 1% of the population.
>>
>>35102437
>dismissed as debunked for decades, always without a source
ftfy
>>
>>35101823
Air force fighters historically guard near aces or aces to increase their total ace count.
>>
>>35102713
Nay it's a placebo based of many measurements.

>Will this dude surrendure
>will I be implicated for shooting him
>maybe i'm being overkill in this self defence scenario
>If I kill the tribal chiefs son, hell come for me
>>
>>35101823

Sounds like bullshit to me. In combat you are so pumped to adrenaline and you don`t even have time to think, instincts kick in. Even if they miss, its not because that was intentional, its because they simply missed
>>
File: 1504447698583.jpg (26KB, 413x367px) Image search: [Google]
1504447698583.jpg
26KB, 413x367px
>>35101823
did somebody say spandau?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.