[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to be a POG without being a tool?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: h945_v1452646536_w1680[1].jpg (349KB, 1680x945px) Image search: [Google]
h945_v1452646536_w1680[1].jpg
349KB, 1680x945px
I'm hoping to be a Space Operations Officer in the air force after I graduate college. https://www.airforce.com/careers/detail/space-operations-officer
I'm not kidding myself, I know it's POG as fuck, but I'm studying computer science and want to do something more meaningful than work at a dime a dozen hipster startup that lasts 6 months tops. My question is, how can I be a POG without being a tool?
>>
Find an Air Force ROTC Detachment. Some have recently (this is the first year) offered 1 and 2 year courses for college juniors and seniors. It's quicker than OCS and you might even get a scholarship out of it. Even if there isn't one at your school, they'll work with you.

Det. 685 here, SCO BEAVS.
>>
Bumping, I'm not deluding myself by pretending I'm going to be a lean, mean, killing machine, but is there anything more I can do?
>>
>>35099969
Good to know, I'm a junior in college and kind of clueless about how to go about preparing.
>>
Keep in mind that that fly by night startup pays as well out of college as being a General in the Airforce does.
>>
>>35100011
It's not just about the money, I want the chance to do something more meaningful than Facebook clone #548.
>>
>>35099908
do your job and shut the fuck up

also bring us booze and dip
>>
>>35099908
>Joining the Air Force
>Is concerned about being a POG
The only time you might be dealing with another branch will be with other POGs. There are jobs that require you to work directly with grunts (Typically Marines), but Space Operations ain't it. And those jobs are things like calling in air strikes or para rescue and shit, which puts you on the same social level as Doc. POGs that worry about being tools are the type of POGs that are tools
>>
>>35099908
Don't worry about being a POG. Sure people like to give them shit but the military can't do their job without them. A lot of POG jobs help ensure boots on ground get home in their boots instead of in a box. I was a POG but took a lot of pride in my job because it did exactly that. It also got me a 6 figure job after the military. Just do you dude and fuck what anybody else says or thinks.
>>
Thanks for all the replies, everyone.
>>
>>35099908
You are not a pog when you are not in the fob son.
>>
>>35099969
I did the 2 year AFROTC program way back when OIF was kicking off. The only real penalty was spending 2 more weeks in boot camp.
>>
i was a pog and im proud of it.

now im infantry and im super proud
>>
>>35099908
Why the hell should you care what some internet tough guys says. Do the job that you like and that you can do well and excel in. Plus, you have a bigger chance of landing a civvie job later if you specialize in a civvie related field. Not much jobs for ptsd welfare queens.
>>
>>35099908
> military
> meaningful
Pick one. The only way I can see this making sense is if you use this as a way to get into NASA or one of the private space companies. NASA would be meaningful in a scientific way and the private companies will be meaningful in an advancing humans way but the military? At best you'd be contributing to missile defense tech and that's it. And that's going to be a DARPA thing anyway. The military is going to spend the next 10 years trying to figure out how to justify even having a space branch and not doing anything as it is.
>>
>>35099908
Why not just be real about it? You're no front but you never tried to be one and you went about this in a way that secures for you training you want and you do a job that needs doing.
>>
>>35099908

be honest and realistic about your military service when you meet the 0311s and 11Bs and high speed low drag dudes. don't be the dude who says "non of you trigger pullers would get your job done without (insert service you provide)".

at the same time, don't let the 0311s and 11Bs give you too much shit since you decided that walking into an ambush for a living was a stupid idea.

tl;dr be honest that you're not a badass, but don't be a pushover either.
>>
>>35099908
Hope you like commiefornia, because you'll literally never leave.
>>
File: dasit.jpg (63KB, 500x496px) Image search: [Google]
dasit.jpg
63KB, 500x496px
>>35099908
>Space Operations Officer

cyber command is awesome
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.