[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A gun for "Blown Across the Room" scenario.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: bigfuckingbullet.jpg (57KB, 638x480px) Image search: [Google]
bigfuckingbullet.jpg
57KB, 638x480px
So, I was reading the Eisenhorn Trilogy, and they mentioned guns with bigger, slower moving bullets. These were needed to not puncture the hulls of the ships, but also caused the recipients to be knocked back on their feet. Is it even possible to devise a round that is large enough to send the target flying, but slow enough to be able to actually shoot. I'm not even talking about penetration; just sending the target flying. For example, the .950 JDJ. What would that do if it it was loaded colder?
>>
>>35091862
If you're talking about a handheld weapon, it would be very impractical. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction so if someone is shooting a bullet that knocks the target off his feet, the shooter would also be knocked down.
The bullet would also have to impact a large enough area of the target to prevent it from going strait through (something like a beanbag round)
>>
>>35091862
I'm assuming you just googled something like "big bullet" and found that picture.

You should look up the backstory to that photo and you'll see why your question is retarded. Newton's laws, nigga.
>>
>>35092073
I know. What happens if you use less gunpowder though?
>>
File: PICT0373.jpg (34KB, 522x225px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0373.jpg
34KB, 522x225px
>>35091862
>>
>>35091862
>>35091958
>>35092073

Throw a medicine ball at someone as hard as you can, and I guarantee they will fall on their back.
>>
>>35093141

Setup a hell cannon that fires a 30 pound medicine ball at your doorway. Doesn't need to be going to fast only like 50 fps and that should knock the guy over with only minor internal injuries.
>>
>>35092073
What I am also asking is, since Newtonian laws dictate that there must be an equal reaction to the firing of the gun, how heavy would the gun have to be to be able to have a slow moving yet massive bullet be shot from it handheld.
>>
>>35093096
Then it goes slower. You still get hit with just as much force as the guy you're shooting though.

>>35093141
Newton's laws still apply. It only hits them as hard as it pushed on you as your threw it at them. Unless you're throwing it at a kid, if they brace for it they would be able to catch it.

The only way this is even feasible, OP, is to use some kind of mounted gun firing very large, but relatively light projectiles slowly. In order to get the projectile moving fast enough to have any kind of range it needs to be going at a decent rate, and in order to just knock over the person on the other end without killing them it needs to be large (so it's impact force is diffuse and so it doesn't penetrate them) and not super dense (because getting hit with a 3ft diameter ball of solid lead going 30mph would probably still kill you).

>>35093423
That depends entirely on what you're trying to knock over. Calculate how much force you'd need to knock over whatever your target is first, then from there you can figure out how much mass you'd need the gun/cannon to have.

It's going to be a lot. It's a stupid idea.
>>
>>35093453
gyrojets/partial vent recoil-less rifle
>>
>>35093482
Even with that it's still a dumb idea.

How big and how heavy of a bullet would you be comfortable getting hit with, and at what speed, so that it would knock you over but not kill you?

Keep in mind that if you fire it horizontally from 9.8 meters above the height of your target it will only be in the air for 1 second, so you have to keep the velocity up kinda high to make it work even remotely like a gun, and with high velocity you need the projectile to be of relatively low density to keep it non lethal, and low density projectiles lose velocity to air resistance quickly. Even ignoring air resistance, angling the gun to 45 degrees extends your range only to be the muzzle velocity squared divided by 9.81.
>>
>>35093453
Have you never caught a medicine ball someone threw at you?
>>
>>35093613
Yes.

Have you ever tried catching one from a strong stance, when you know it's coming? Have you ever tried throwing one without leaning into the throw?
>>
>>35091958
you could use a recoilless rifle, or maybe a rocket
>>
>>35093626
I read that as "have you ever," not never. Point is I've caught them before. None of that changes the fact that equal and opposite reactions are a fundamental part of the universe. You not knowing how to catch doesn't change that.
>>
>>35093453
>>35093453
I would guess it would be theoretically possible becuase although it is true the same amount of total force is felt by both parties, the impulse of each force is different (the amount of time force is applied respectively). The shooter would feel the forces over a longer time (assuming the projectile does not penetrate) as the total force is a result of gasses expanding during most of the projectile's trip down the barrel. We know this because muzzle velocity is dependent partially on barrel length.

I doubt anything would look like it does in movies, it takes less force to undramatically have an unprepared individual lose their balance than it does to cause a person to be lifted and fly back.
>>
>>35093711
That's a good point about the recoil impulse. Along that same vein, using a "soft" bullet that can deform would also help.

I guess to give a real answer to the OP before I go to bed, the gun would probably have to look like a 55 gallon drum. The projectile would probably have to be something like a beach ball filled with water, just with the ball being made out of something that would flex but wouldn't tear from the force of firing or from hitting the target.

So it would technically be doable, but the gun (or launcher more likely) would be xboxhueg, the range would be short, and the arc the bullet would follow would make all the .45 AARP memes shit the bed.

It's retarded, even for the warhammer universe.
>>
Bean bag gun
https://youtu.be/fK_WVZ8PSrk?t=11
>>
>>35091862
I thought imperial navy used what was essentially frangible slugs and rifle rounds. Turns targets to meat and paints wall behind them red without holes.
>>
>>35093811
You could probably scale this concept down to feasability by using a grapefruit sized tough rubber ball in an excessively heavy gun (since bore pressure would be intentionally low the barrel could also be very long and weights placed in the stock to balance). Also use black powder or even better a modern slow burning charge.

Don't really see the point though, you don't need to knock people down to incapacitate them non-lethally and doing so I think would unneccessarily endanger them. Would be kinda cool though.
>>
File: 5357656077_986111facf_b.jpg (216KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
5357656077_986111facf_b.jpg
216KB, 1024x768px
>>35091862

You could build a muzzle loader blunderbuss with the largest barrel you can find and fuck around with industrial ball bearings and varying amounts of black powder.

It would be inaccurate as fuck; but it would be a fun experiment.
>>
>>35093811
>>35094003
All I know is, there was a gunfight aboard the ship Eisenhorn was on. And it was said that the bullets were slower moving so as to not damage the hull. The effect of the larger bullets, moving slower, was that bodies were flung away when hit. I know its unrealistic, but I was asking because I wanted to know if it was at all possible to accomplish this, if it was the intended goal. Thanks for the comments though.
>>
>>35091862
The Punt gun, or an Oberez would knock a man across the room I imagine...
>>
>>35094475
I mean i know that beanbag shotguns are a thing, can you imagine a beanbag punt gun?
>>
>>35091862
.577 snider.
>>
>>35093423
Gyrojet rounds? Small kicker charge to get it going and give it some spin via rifled barrel, and then accelerate until knockdown velocity is achieved.
>>
>>35094475
I've shot punt guns. The singles aren't so bad as the weight of the gun absorbs a lot of the recoil. It's the ones with three or more guns in a bank that'll fuck your shit up.
>>
>>35091862
>eisenhorn
Patrician tastes

Pic related for them feels
>>
>>35093141
>throw
slow acceleration, easy to handle
>hit in chest
fast deceleration, knocked over
>gunshot
fast acceleration, bad recoil
this isnt hard.
>>
>>35093096
>>35091862
Go back to school please. This is BASIC physics I learned in middle school and I live in burgerland...
>>
>>35094450
With knockdown power like that, it could only be .45 ACP!
>>
>>35091862
You could make this happen if you made a gun that launches 5 pound cylindrical projectiles eight inches or longer that consist of 4+ arms that spring open when it leaves the barrel. It would have to use compressed gas or recoilless cartridges, otherwise you'd get launched yourself.
>>
>>35093626
>changing the goalposts
Try catching a bullet when you know it's coming. Japanese people do it all the time.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.