[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Baofeng Bread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

File: 81WRUKmNbOL._SL1500_.jpg (197KB, 612x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81WRUKmNbOL._SL1500_.jpg
197KB, 612x1500px
Looking at a UV-5R for innawoods communications and general SHTF prep.

Any suggestions/setup guides/idiot proofing?

Any users get a radio license or are you sticking it to the man?
>>
>>35087653
>licence
nah, simply bought that radio and use it when I feel like it.
>>
>>35087682
Reported. Get off my airwaves, you damn kids.
>>
>>35087693
>licenced, listed and numbered
sure, register all and everything. have you also registered all your guns like you should? probably, you don't wanna breake the law or something.

>thinks they won't go after those listed with guns first, thinks they'll shut those able to report and communicate shit too

say hi to your home invaders taking your guns, and radios while carrying you to the next fema camp for NWO readjustment.
>>
>>35087741
Bandwidth is a shared, finite resource. Get in line, punk.
Also, what the fuck are you talking about gun registration? That's not a thing. But for real, I don't actually care what you do with your radio. Just know what frequencies to stick to to not step on anyone's toes and don't be a dick.
>>
>>35087773
I'm thinking of following one of the many startup guides online. Is it as easy as sticking to reserved ham frequencies? It'll mostly be innawoods so I'm not too worried about there being too much RF traffic
>>
>>35087806
I would stay away from ham frequencies unless you are licensed (the test is super easy btw) because there are a lot of old fudds who love to find and rat on people. FRS and MURS channels are the ones used by the walkie talkies you can buy at walmart or whatever, and no one really gives a shit what goes down there, so long as you are not willfully interfering. I think that Baofeng infographic that gets traded around here recommends MURS. It's license-free and relatively uncongested, and although the Baofeng is not type-accepted for MURS operation, everyone does it anyway.
>>
>>35087806
>>35087854
And although a cheap blister pack walkie from the sporting goods store will work just as good as the Baofeng for point-to-point innawoods communication, it is a lot of fun to dick around with and see what you can listen to.
>>
use chrip to program it and it should have some commands to add the FRS and MURS channels to the table.
you could also add the HAM simplex channels. i would imagine that would be good to have in an emergency.
>>
>>35087884
no they wont.
most of those are capped at .5 watts because that is the power limit in that band.
this should be 5 watts
>>
>>35087653
I highly recomend a license. It is piss easy to get and in the unlikely situation that you do get caught it will be a 60 year old turbo-fudd that will do everything in his power to find you so that you get fined a stupid amount for "shitting on his hobby"

Do it right so you don't get needlessly fucked.
>>
>>35087653
https://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2014-no-nonsense-tech-study-guide-v20.pdf
Its not that hard to get a licence.
it should only cost you like $5.
>>
>>35087913
How can they locate you?
>>
>>35087890
I think it's now 2 watts. Or it is going to be soon. But yeah I forgot about that. In a lot of situations, though, terrain will be the limiting factor for maximum distance, not power.
>>
>>35087693
>>35087682
How would you even be convicted for that?

Unless you are broadcasting your full name and Social Insurance number over the airwaves I don't see how they could find you without some Navy Seal pasta triangulation
>>
>>35087934
It's $15 dollars for the test, typically. But you can take all three test up to Amateur Extra in one sitting for one fee if you pass the first two.
>>
>>35087854
Anyone have this infographic? I know I've seen it before...
>>
>>35087980
>>35088009
Triangulation isn't that hard. Hams regularly do field day shit where they locate interfering signals for practice or giggles or whatever. But in reality it's not a big concern unless you are an uber troll who willfully shits on everyone. But there is plenty of unlicensed spectrum that literally no one cares about, so why use ham bands?
>>
File: baochanginfo_1024.jpg (82KB, 235x1024px) Image search: [Google]
baochanginfo_1024.jpg
82KB, 235x1024px
>>35088024
>>
>>35088045
Thank you based god
>>
This site has a file with instructions for using CHIRP to program your radio with a lot of common SHTF-type channels and other useful frequencies like marine vhf and weather radio.

https://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/2013/07/30/prepper-shtf-survival-comms-ht-vhf-uhf-frequency-programming-file/
>>
I am taking the first half of the Technical course Saturday.

Anything I should know?
>>
>>35088188
Read the Study guides.
you should be able to find mock tests online.
bring some extra cash because if you fail a test you can just repay and take the test again.
>>
>>35088317
I've been reading the study guides. Also got the AARL books.

I took some practice tests before studying and was passing, so I am not too worried.

Do I need to memorize the math formulas?
>>
>>35087653
>Any users get a radio license or are you sticking it to the man?
Why even buy a radio if you don't want to learn how to use it?
>>
File: IMG_5397.jpg (224KB, 816x1056px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5397.jpg
224KB, 816x1056px
>>
File: IMG_7221.jpg (397KB, 727x844px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7221.jpg
397KB, 727x844px
>>
>>35088572

so you can fill your radio pouch on your rig
>>
File: IMG_7211.png (616KB, 900x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7211.png
616KB, 900x1136px
>>
>>35089508
You could just as easily fill it with skittles.
>>
>>35089559
This anon has the right idea but should kill themselves for not suggesting the superior master race candy, laffy taffy.
>>
>>35088572
I can learn just fine but don't want to deal with the FCC/a bunch of pinchy faced ham nerds
>>
>>35087653
Get a real radio. Sure it's $25, but you're going to make fuckall for contact when innawoods.
Get a real radio, like a kenwood.
>baufeng = airshit
>>
I use mine from time to time on GMRS. It's fucking illegal but whatever.

Get a Nagoya whip antenna replacement. If you have the shit laying around, make a rat tail. Rat tail supposedly helps. It costs like 60 cents so fuckit.
>>
>>35087980
ever see a car with ham radio license plates and a bunch of antennas on it? that's a fudd rooting out some illegal flapjaw talking when he shouldn't be.

why do millennials always think the rules apply to everyone else but them?
>>
>>35087682
based anon
>>35087693
screw you, old man/pedo
>>
File: down.jpg (19KB, 500x404px) Image search: [Google]
down.jpg
19KB, 500x404px
>bought CHInKPABAEFENG UVR52 w/e the fuck it is
>literally have to read thousands of pages and pages of bullshit
>have to reg. to ham like a good goy or 'else'
>all i wanted to do was listen to local police chatter
>>
>>35091779
this. how the fuck does one operate this overly complicated chink crap
>>
>>35091270
>>I can learn just fine

apparently not or you would learn before wasting money on a piece of equipment you don't know how to use
>>
You buy a programming cable and use CHIRP.

You can listen to cops if they're using analog and not P25 or something. I program and sell them to locals as police scanners for certain counties (after fucking disabling transmit because I'll be goddamned if I get caught providing radios to rednecks who are going to piss off the FCC)
>>
>>35087653
One thing you can't do without a licence is practice hitting local repeaters in your area. Its all fun a game to play around with radio to radio , but when SHTF and you realize your favorite bug out spots gets shit to no reception. Your shit out of luck.
>>
>>35088572
Getting a license teaches you nothing about actually using a radio other than frequency restrictions.

>>35091779
>>35092329
Start by going to radio reference and looking up your state/county/city ems/police or whatever. Find a simple guide for something like CHIRP and start punching in frequencies. Check out https://murdercube.com/radioconfig/
>>
>>35091680
There is about 6 local old guys who work with the sheriff dept. in my area. They pinned down a kid playing with a pre programmed Baofeng his mom bought from a local survival store in about 15 minutes. Mom got stuck with a $500 fine. Trust me, the ham world is full of old guys with way to much time, equipment, and nothing to do in your area but "fox hunt' violators.
>>
That's why if you're going to use it without a license, you do it on FRS. They can still probably tell because of the baofengs shitty band control, but it becomes way harder to pin you down (baofengs are NOT type 93 compliant for use on FRS).
>>
>>35092743
It's no harder to pin you down, but yes using FRS is the best option.
>>
>>35091680
>muh millenials
Boomer detected, die so I can stop paying for your diapers.
>>
>>35091335
How about a list of approved handhelds?

Especially ones for a private SHTF network
>>
>>35092778
The Baofeng's are completely fine. They're cheap and usable. The radio world is full of pedantic autists. In some ways it was the first retreat for pedantic autists. CB isn't much better.
>>
>>35092778
Yaesu FT-65R is pretty solid next step up from a Baofeng, should be able to0 find one around $150.00.
>>
>>35092762
It's harder to pin you down in the sense that they'd have to find reason to believe you aren't using a part 93 compliant handset. If it's an old man on social security with nothing to do you're fucked anyway
>>
who /old enough to have a grandfathered ham license class that no longer exists/ here?
>>
Isn't ham radio dead nowadays except for boring old guys?
>>
File: 1475422982064.jpg (21KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1475422982064.jpg
21KB, 500x333px
>>35089625
>implying anything besides skittles doesn't make you a super autistic mall ninja internet tough guy wannabe operator in his mom's basement
>>
>>35092643
Not to mention the contact you'll make with the local repeater crowd. Mostly kooks, but I've met a couple like minded people through radio stuff.
>>
>>35087653
greg?
>>
>>35092920
There's a lot of new stuff going on related to digital and diy experimentation. But yea, the voice modes are mostly fudd types with not much interesting to say.
>>
>tfw always have fantasies of getting a ham radio, setting it up in the basement, and listening to numbers stations with a handgun within reach to live out cold war fantasies
>tfw nothing interesting actually happens on numbers stations
>>
I recommend just getting a good cheap radio to start, but get a decent antenna. Your money will go farther if you invest more in your antenna than in your radio.

I bought a few signal sticks to go on my Baofeng GT-3s. They're pretty shitty radios, but the signal sticks make them sound really, really great. People were even commenting that they thought I had a nicer Kenwood or Yaesu instead of a POS discontinued baofeng.

https://signalstuff.com/ (great, cheap, super durable antennae)
https://hamstudy.org/ (free HAM study helper)
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.