[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MREs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: mre-contents-800[1].jpg (94KB, 800x489px) Image search: [Google]
mre-contents-800[1].jpg
94KB, 800x489px
how long do these things REALLY last, and how bad are they?

they say 5 years, but i hear about ww2 rations still being edible, like the vet having a tinned cake on his 100th birthday story.

are there better options that cover the same bases?
>>
File: 1502587410668.png (560KB, 600x595px) Image search: [Google]
1502587410668.png
560KB, 600x595px
>https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2I6Et1JkidnnbWgJFiMeHA
>>
>>35084493
They only rate them for 5 years, because that's only the length of time the military desires to test them for. They realistically could be good for 15-30 years or more. Steve at an '88 one recently and found zero issues with it.
>>
>>35084493
Simple rule: if the cheese looks like the peanut butter don't eat it.
>>
>>35084594
good thing they seem to label them...

>>35084511
>>35084508
we've had the same ration for 30 years?
i feel like someone should have developed something better by now... but as i understand it, that would be a 15 year and 150 billion dollar project.
>>
>>35084657
Everything decays, you can't beat entropy.
>>
I have eaten some that were around 10 years old and they were, for the most part, no different then recent manufacture ones at the time. The one exception to this was the 10 year old MREs candy rations were often fucked. M&Ms were litererlly powder.

>10 year old mre cheese and cracker; stale as fuck
>fresh mre cheese and cracker; exactally as stale

Fucking science
>>
>>35084859
Fwiw these were pilfered in the early 90s and consumed in late 90s and early 2000s.
>>
>>35084493
A nearby outdoor goods shop has milsurp stuff including MREs, problem is, at some point of time their MREs are packed in some kind of trashy looking transparent bag where you can see the content within, instead of the usual sealed brown packaging with descriptions printed on it.

Are these MREs normal or a ticket to bad poop town?
>>
>>35084945
They're civilian/off-brand.
>>
>>35084594
yeah i bough some cheese packs as a kid thinking they'd last forever, they did not.
>>
>>35084945

or foreign, other nations use clear packaging.
>>
>>35084945
or repackaged.
>>
File: surepak12-new-case-07.jpg (138KB, 787x1024px) Image search: [Google]
surepak12-new-case-07.jpg
138KB, 787x1024px
>>35084945
they look like these but with less words written on top.
there were also these large trays of sealed mashed potatoes
>>
>>35084987
sopakco just packaged some for civilian sales, same stuff, just different packaging and not much variety in the menus.The big trays are t rations, meant to feed a lot of troops at once
>>
>>35084945
The BX at goodfellow sold those for like $4 and regular MREs for $8. Apparently the clear ones were training MREs, though I never ever saw one other than for sale at the Bx
>>
File: ONECOL.jpg (305KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ONECOL.jpg
305KB, 1200x1200px
Take my word for it and stock up on these.

As long as you can supply yourself hot water, you can have a meal that tastes nearly indistinguishable from a fresh cooked meal now or four decades from now.

Not sure why you guys deal with all that packaging and shit for MREs when they are pretty much a deprecated product category for the prepper.
>>
>>35085160
>The big trays are t rations, meant to feed a lot of troops at once
I honestly prefer MREs to whatever the fuck that mystery meat in white sauce was.
>>
>>35085160
I'm not sure about those exact ones, but the civilian versions often have less in the way of accessories, drinks, etc. as well.
>>
>>35085186
mountain house meals are quality but expensive. i only use them for backpacking. is that package much cheaper than buying the individual meals?
>>
>/k/ got me addicted to Steve
>watching Steve finally convinced me to try this stuff out
>ordered two French RCIR's last month and ate them over a week or so, $45 or so with shipping each
>ordered two Lithuanian meals a couple weeks ago, still waiting
>just ordered a German EPA for like $75 with shipping

Fucking help. I already spend way too much on guns and now I'm blowing money on fucking survival food
>>
>>35085213
True they sort of fall short in the calories/$ race (not that MREs are cheap by any stretch of the imagination) but you are paying for the closest thing to spoil-proof food and the more appetizing nature of freeze-dried meals.
>>
>>35085213

I got a 14 day supply on Prime day for $130 after a $50 rebate, well worth it at that price I'd say. Normally you can find the 14 day for a bit over $210 which still isn't terrible. I should really get another.
>>
>>35085206
we had nothing but t rats in Kuwait for a month before invading, I hate them with a passion
>>
>>35085239
>14 day
>$210
buy a fucking 20lb bag of rice every 5 years and you get the same thing. fucking $10 for your short term NVA shtf means. This "in 35 years that can of spam is going to go bad you totally have 34.99 years of food and won't blow your fucking brains out before then lol"
>>
>>35085224
>>35085224
i know this road, its a cozy road nonetheless.
I wish i could find good mre's but in ger i can only get american ones, they're good and such, but i want diversity (no merkel jokes pls)
>>
File: Chili mac.jpg (88KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
Chili mac.jpg
88KB, 1280x853px
Chili Mac represent
>>
>>35084493
Is mre food freeze dried?
>>
>>35085213
Buy a freeze dryer and a vacuum seal packing device.
Freeze dryer can be had for 3,000 and vacuum seal for like a 100.
Expensive but just think how expensive freeze dried food is.
You can make a co purchase with friends and bring the cost Down.
Also think about making money with it.
You can sell your own freeze dried food on eBay or etsy and make a profit and earn that 3.1k back in no time.
>>
>>35084493
Australian Army here. We tarded out rats for some MREs desu we all loved them. The fact we could heat them up without using a jet boil and the fact it tasted more closer to real food was a welcome change. The only thing I didnt like was there were little to no snacks ie chocolate bars, m&ms, biscuits, soups because we get bulk, The marines were all too happy to take our 24 hr CR1s which can easily last 48 hours.
>>
>>35086051
No, they are ready to eat and require no preparation other than heating if desired. Image ravioli in a can. It's better hot, but can be eaten cold.
>>
>>35085186
Mountain House is so salty you have to sit in a fucking lake while eating them.
>>
>>35084493
MREs expiration dates are Best Before X, not Use By X. So theorically, you can eat them forever.
However, there's still a small risk of bacteria surviving and multiplying.
>>
>>35084493
if stored in a freezer they have an almost indefinite shelf life afaik
>>
>>35085224
im in the same boat pal, i have a norwegian arctic ration and 4 generic civie mres that he recommended
>>
File: image.jpg (217KB, 388x520px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
217KB, 388x520px
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.