[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

UK Sword Law

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

File: uk law swords.jpg (393KB, 648x1734px) Image search: [Google]
uk law swords.jpg
393KB, 648x1734px
Hi /k/
Britfag here, I'm thinking of taking fencing lessons and eventually coming into ownership of a rapier.

Can you guys advise on the legality of the following:
I buy the materials needed, pay a blacksmith to forge the blade part along with an attachable hilt (that I can attach to the blade at my home to create the rapier), then once the parts are fabricated I put them both into a GPS-locked case that only opens once I get home.
The blade would be made to "methods" post-1954.

Attached is an image from the UK's government website on the law regarding knives etc.

What I've noticed is that nowhere does it say that I cannot get a sword made, or atleast a blade made for myself. If I own all the materials prior to fabrication then the blade is owned by me, the blacksmith is merely changing something which I own. Surely getting it made doesn't mean that it is being "brought" into the UK? The blacksmith handing me the blade wouldn't be "giving" it to me as I already own it.

Any anons got any advice on this, or is my plan just retarded?

Thanks.
>>
this board moves fast
>>
File: received_1662171250482474.jpg (342KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
received_1662171250482474.jpg
342KB, 1536x2048px
Move to America where you can own a gun you fucking cuck. Enjoy getting fucked by Muhammed while you fiddle around with your GPS locked rapier.
>>
>>35081460
Not interested in cowardly guns.
Swords are more manly.
Can you open-carry rapiers in the US?
>>
>>35081491
yes
>>
>>35081216
Okay first off fuck fencing go HEMA, I suggest studying Giganti's first book. Go to the darkwood armory website and get a bated economy rapier for maybe 300 USD. When ever you feel like making it "Live" simply sharpen it and shape the tip. Until you do that its still legally considered sporting equipment in the UK and they cant do shit to you. Now take this advice and go be a faggot on some other board
>>
>>35081491
You can in the UK too just say your some kind of reenactment faggot and don't live in some Islamic shithole city like London
>>
>>35081216
>images or words suggesting it is used for violence
hello thought police

>>35081491
also
>not interested in cowardly guns
where do you think you are, git
>>
>>35082936
What a cunt m'rite?
>>
File: 1497769259074.png (428KB, 558x744px) Image search: [Google]
1497769259074.png
428KB, 558x744px
>>35081491
whats cowardly about efficient killing/defence
>>
>>35081491
say you are a sikh and carey a fucking sword m8
and if they say that you cant sue their asses on religious descrimination
>>
Someone should invade England all those cucks are disarmed! Oh wait, they already are!
>>
>>35083132
i am reporting you for islamaphobia, you are worse that hitler, i can't even rn, i am literally shaking
>>
>>35081491
You can in fucking Canada
>>
>>35081216
Okay first off, you're a Muppet.
Second I'll sum up knife laws

>You are legally allowed to carry any non-fixed/non-locking blade shorter than 3 inches without due cause.

'due cause' basically means you can carry a sword/machete/etc strapped to your hip if you can provide a valid excuse.

with that said just buy yourself a proper sharp sword for less than £200

www.theknightshop.com/
>>
>>35083151
Just don't threaten me with those air rifles you boy pack! could lose an eye!
>>
fuck the filthy rat jews
>>
>>35082915
I meant in a self-defence sense like in some states in the US where you can open carry to deter criminals. This SHOULD be law in the UK, but it seems only some people, including MPs have the right.
>>35083038
Personally I'd say proximity. Guns take some practice and skill to shoot from afar but up close there is more prestige and honour in using a sword.
Also lethality, swords are definitely lethal up close but you can choose not to in order to have a longer more drawn out fight. In this case it's a lot harder to have a manly duel with guns (see Barry Lyndon where those two dudes just shoot each other in a field and pretty much it's an insta kill).
Swords allow for longer and better duelling, and I think that is more honourable and manly than just likely insta-killing someone.

>>35083082
A rapier is not a kirpan, and no amount of waffling to a jury will convince them of that.
Kirpans are usually very small (6inches long or so) and curved.
>>35083193
For self-defence?
>>
>>35083404
I don't want to carry it around outside my home.
I want a proper genuine sword that does it's intended purpose like it did 500 years ago. I don't want a cuck sword, or a mantlepiece sword, I want a rapier that can do its job.
I want to get this rapier sent to my house where I keep it, and in the case of a self-defence situation involving a house intruder, I can fend them off and protect my home and family.

Thanks for the link, if I want a "proper" rapier, do I need to shell out £500+ or is £200 enough?
I want something low-maintenance that perhaps I have to clean or inspect once a year.
>>
>>35086493
Fuck off
>>
>>35086526
Which poster are you?
>>
>>35086543
the gun laws in my country make me want to die
we need concealable weapon licence to own an airshit pistol
t. aussie
>>
>>35086507
get a zweihander, the manliest of swords
>>
>>35082936
He's on the "weapons" board, not the "guns" board, you cunt. He has every right to this foolish and dangerous weapon preference here.
>>
>>35086493
>Guns take some practice and skill to shoot from afar

You say that as if swords don't take practice or skill to use. You want to be practicing hema if you get a rapier, the term fencing is fine if you're using it in its historical context. Modern fencing still requires a lot of skill and fitness, but isn't fighting and doesn't translate well to it.

If you intend to use it for self defense, be aware that it is illegal and you're willing to accept the legal consequences for doing so. Make sure you lawyer up before saying anything to the cops if you injure or kill somebody in self defense. Also practice hema. I personally am confident I could take an inexperienced opponent with a sword if I was unarmed and change it into a brawl situation, and I consider myself a newbie to hema. Anybody with a little bit of experience in dealing with swords is going to get the best of you if you are not familiar with how to use it, don't leave that up to chance.
>>
>>35086587

Cannot disagree, but it's fucking useless for indoors. You'll be hitting your furniture, walls and ceiling if you're gonna do anything beyond basic spear thrusting. If you want to hold off someone like that, just use a spear. Either that or get a longsword.
>>
>>35086493
Leaf here you can I OC hunting knife everyday
>>
>>35086689
>You say that as if swords don't take practice or skill to use.
What I was actually saying was that swords DO, hence why they are more manly than guns, which a baby could be lethal with.

>If you intend to use it for self defense, be aware that it is illegal
Nope, it is legal if someone intrudes into my home with a weapon of their own (knife, bat etc) and I use a rapier to threaten them away, getting their legs to subdue/disarm them if they don't back away. As long as I don't take steps to kill them, and only act in defending myself and my family, it is reasonable force.
Stabbing them in the legs where they are not likely to bleed out is fine.
>>
File: 1497105890222.png (100KB, 200x250px) Image search: [Google]
1497105890222.png
100KB, 200x250px
>>35081216
>The STATE of american "banter" online

You try way too fucking hard, sage
>>
File: Win_7ed732_5516880.jpg (44KB, 680x753px) Image search: [Google]
Win_7ed732_5516880.jpg
44KB, 680x753px
>>35081216
even says in the law
1 illegal to buy or sell
2 no swords (except antiques and reproductions of antiques made in the same way -pre 1954)
-----solution is to take a class on blacksmithing and make a sword in the old way---
you own everything beforehand, it's made in the old way, and you even made it, its made by our own hand

also even a "decorative" sword can and HAS been used in a home defence scenario and worked
as long as it isn't cardboard it can still kill
---who was the jap samurai that killed a guy with a wood stick after he didn't bring a sword to a duel?---
>>
>>35088647
If you're in fear of your life, defending yourself with lethal force is perfectly fine.

On the subject of swords, you can buy one and cart it about to/from classes or elsewhere just fine. I got stopped having a falchion sticking out of my rucksack. Police car pulled up as I was walking and they started in with "where are you off to" etc. I said I was taking a new purchase off to a friend's to show it off, and they asked a few questions about my HEMA group. Took about five minutes and was quite friendly. No US-style handcuffs shenanigans, just a chat.

Long story short, buy a shorter weapon (a 45 inch rapier is not ideal for most homes, a shorter cutlass or a cudgel would be better) and train with it at a reputable local group. It will serve as legal cover AND ensure you don't get fucking murdered if you are ever called upon to use it in anger.
>>
>>35088719
https://youtu.be/96_xrMab9rg
>>
>>35088768
https://youtu.be/CouB9aQ9vvc
>>
>>35081216
Basically, this boils down to:
> Don't use any object to defend yourself.
> Self-defense is tacitly outlawed.
> Roll over and die.

Tell me why we aren't seeing the bodies of UK politicians lining the streets? Their security details know their personal agency is next on the chopping block, right?
>>
>>35088647

>Stabbing them in the legs where they are not likely to bleed out is fine.

Good luck figuring that out in the dark, on a moving clothed attacker at 4am. An item is something that must be at hand, not something prepared for self defense because it's showing premeditation.

Buying guns, swords and knifes for the sole purpose of home defense in the UK is going to land you in hot water, if you ever have the balls to leave your bedroom in the event of a break in and use your sword.
>>
>>35088667
I am actually a Brit being genuine.
>>35088738
Thank you, will look into this.
But surely a stabbing weapon like a rapier or estoc is better than a slashing weapon in my home due to the narrowness of it?
>>
File: 1489898097015.gif (3MB, 386x232px) Image search: [Google]
1489898097015.gif
3MB, 386x232px
>>35081491
>come on /k/
>complain about firearms
One day youll grow up sweetie
>>
>>35088827
>Good luck figuring that out in the dark
I'd turn the lights on, they would see my rapier, and I would tell them to fuck off or they will get holes in their thighs
>on a moving clothed attacker at 4am
I'm going to take fencing lessons, adrenaline will harden my senses.
>not something prepared for self defense because it's showing premeditation.
Couldn't you argue that for any "dangerous" item in your house? A butcher's knife that's never used, cricket bat that I never play with.
As long as I don't intend to walk outside brandishing it and LARPing around like a faggot, I really do not see why it's "not okay" for me to get a sword to protect myself in my home.

>if you ever have the balls to leave your bedroom in the event of a break in
If I don't get the rapier, chances are I'll be a giant pussy and hide. My family are in risk.
If I do get the rapier, I then have the confidence to confront them and protect my family.
I really do not get how the law would prefer I'd do the former rather than the latter. Why are we protecting the rights of home intruders so much?
>>
>>35088883
Not complaining about firearms at all, you do you.
I am just stating a preference for swords which is enshrined in the rich history of my country and the honour with which men have defended their homesteads and families with them until recent times.
>>
>>35088842
Depends. A stab will be a "mortal blow," but not a quick stop. Slashes and swings from percussive weapons apply leverage, affect large areas of the body and are faster to repeat in some ways (no sticking, for instance).
For a home defence scenario in a normal modern home, you want something that would:
A) Deflect or parry the opponent's weapon effectively. Sturdy, some length, hand protection, etc. This is where kitchen knives fail, because who cares what happened to the other guy if you're dead.
B) Apply force to the target sufficient to overbear. So swing with impact, or cause large cuts. Axes and entrenching tools, plus swords and machetes all do this. All forms of percussive weapons do this. You win the "brawl" of the fight, irrespective of the injury you have caused (be it lethal or slight).
C) Handle well in the confines of the space.
Thrusting weapons will dominate in long halls where you have favourable footing. As soon as you must move around anything more complicated, you are at a disadvantage. Especially with a rapier or spear, you risk the weapon being bound, grabbed or deflected by the other party. See the InRange video on trench fighting for more info.
Frankly, I might even suggest joining a group who can teach you cane fighting, and scatter a couple of stout walking sticks around your home. A B and C will all be satisfied, but I understand if you want the sword because you want it. That's valid too.
>>
File: 01 Skeleton.jpg (61KB, 780x468px) Image search: [Google]
01 Skeleton.jpg
61KB, 780x468px
>>35088899
>Why are we protecting the rights of home intruders so much?
cuz it's "racist" to stop the refuges from committing crimes
just kill them and bury them in the garden like we do in the US (you call the cops when you need them to stop the bad guy not when the bad guy is dead)

also when you have a blade made, have it made with your famaly name on it and maybe the family crest so that even if they find it, you can say it's a famaly heirloom. i have one just like that and it has stopped a lot of backtalk about my "weapons in the home"
>>
>>35088932
Thank you, this is actually very useful
is anything that I'd learn from fencing applicable to brawling with a cutlass or cudgel?
>>
File: fiore_meyer_silver.jpg (413KB, 2048x1204px) Image search: [Google]
fiore_meyer_silver.jpg
413KB, 2048x1204px
>>35081216
>Englishman wants to carry a rapier and not a glorious basket-hilt backsword or broadsword

Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>35081491
I'm sure the crack addict trying to stab you for your shoes really cares about "manliness" and "honor" you fucking pussy.
>>
>>35088992
Depends (again).
Fencing can mean Olympic style tag-with-car-aerials or any number of other combat systems.
Consider. This is fencing too http://www.the1595.com/
So is http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/
And both can teach you to fight with short, effective weapons you could use in your home. More importantly they will teach you footwork, how to remain the correct range from your target, and how to deal (in the most general terms) with a determined armed assailant.
If you join a sport fencing club, you will learn some footwork, but you will not be ready for an actual fight. In some ways, boxing would be preferable to Olympic fencing.
To be finally, fully honest, if you are worried about home security in England armed defence is the worst money:results effort you can make. Buy better locks, fix those windows, and practise a more aware lifestyle. Situational awareness and a good pair of shoes will do you more good than a hand weapon almost all the time.
>>
>>35089026
What's your point?
I don't give a shit about what they think beyond them shitting themselves when they see that I have a weapon, and that they need to get the fuck out.
My seeing swords as manly is important to myself. I would rather defend my home with a sword than a gun.
>>
>>35089031
>o be finally, fully honest, if you are worried about home security in England armed defence is the worst money:results effort you can make. Buy better locks, fix those windows, and practise a more aware lifestyle. Situational awareness and a good pair of shoes will do you more good than a hand weapon almost all the time.
I get this, but say all those have failed and I still have an intruder, is there anything else I can do (after calling 999) to defend myself and my family?
>>
>>35086493
Dude if somebody is threatening or robbing me, I don't care about manliness or honor, I just want him dead and me alive, and anything more than that is putting yourself at undue risk
>>
>>35089047
Shit yeah. Claim you were in fear for your life and kill the fucker. Or at least try.
The tips above should recommend a weapon to you. Note that a general course like the 1595 guys will allow you to use any sturdy long object as an effective defensive tool. You will lose (probably permanently) anything used to wound an intruder, so make it something cheap if you have the option. Hence canes, bats, etc. They also defend well against knives and overbear (i.e. knock down and control) targets better than shorter knives. A good cane has a very effective thrust too.

The way to look at it is like this: You should spend the time and money on security commensurate with your risk. You should strive to gain the most benefit from each penny spent, also.
So: in order you should,
1) Fix any glaring security flaws. Broken locks, unsecured windows or other entry points. Social media broadcasting your riches or weaknesses. Access to the property by addict/unreliable acquaintances (huge risk factor) should be revoked.
2) Join a good club for a defensive art. Fencing, boxing/MMA/etc, or suchlike. Get in better shape, learn how not to freeze when it's time to fight or flee, etc.
3) Develop awareness. Know what your house sounds like at night. Know where you live, the roads, the risks. Read!
4) Defensive precautions. Ensure that the things you have trained to defend with are in your home, in some for or another. Know where they are, ensure they are not a risk to children (another advantage to percussive weapons), and see that they are stored safely in terms of maintenance.
If you have done 1-3, come back for further advice on 4.
>>
>>35082890
This, OP. Please do not take fencing lessons, we don't even teach rapier and we already have too many turbo-autists. Your lot belongs in HEMA
>>
>>35089037
I don't think you understand the concept of "drugs." People high out of their minds on crack or meth don't give a shit if you have a rapier or not. In a case like this they would be an active threat that needs to be neutralized. The concept of self defense isn't being "honourable" you autistic fuck it's about survival. Using anything less than the most efficient weapon for defense says to me that you care about "honour" more than keeping yourself and your family safe, which is fucking disgusting. Even if you manage to use your rapier in self defense you're going to jail anyway, this is the UK we're talking about. This is why we make fun of swordfags, if you want to play with antiquated bullshit get into fencing or HEMA, and let the adults talk about effective defense. Grow up.
>>
>>35088899
>I'm going to take fencing lessons, adrenaline will harden my senses.
Fucking christ, I didn't know that it could get this bad.
>If I do get the rapier, I then have the confidence to confront them and protect my family.
You're going to get machete'd to death you idiot. Even an over/under hunting shotgun would be a leagues better than a fucking fencing implement
>>
>>35088899
Please don't shit up fencing with your autism, it is unsuited for practical self-defense or attacking, take HEMA instead
>>
>>35089139
Yeah but you're not allowed guns in a city area
>>35089193
Not allowed guns
>>35089275
Lmao okay mate
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.