[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SHTF

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 5

File: 1399379256012.jpg (322KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
1399379256012.jpg
322KB, 1280x854px
If there was an actual fallout and SHTF, do you think people would kill on sight like they do in dayz and other survival game or do you think people would have more empathy?

Don't get me wrong, I know there will be baddies maybe even a lot, but would you have to stop trusting everyone entirely?
>>
>>35069031
Assholes would be assholes.

There would be a lot of predation, but I like to think that people who are scared would see that other scared people should team up instead of insta-killing any one they see
>>
>>35069031
>If there was an actual fallout and SHTF, do you think people would kill on sight like they do in dayz and other survival game or do you think people would have more empathy?

See people like you who think like this will die in SHTF, absolutely zero fucking doubt that you will.

and that makes me happy.
>>
>>35069031

I won't predate, but anyone refusing to lay down their weapons when approaching our position will fertilize the fields. No chances when protecting me and my own.
>>
>>35069124
This. If you want to see how people behave in SHTF, look at Houston.
>>35069031
OP is a fag.
>>
>>35069031
I think demographics plays a huge part in what you're thinking. Obviously a small town would be more likely to be friendly, but Niggers and Spics in DT Los Angles will most likely rip each other apart. Not trying to go /pol/ but I think that's what would happen
>>
>>35069031
Imo people will quickly return to a sort of tribal state of mind. There will be small groups of survivors not too many individuals. Some of these groups will be hostile like raiders etc. others will be peaceful.
>>
>>35069191
This.

>>35069031
If you look at civil wars and other catastrophes, you do have some early mob craziness, but conflict has extreme risk of injury such that deliberately looking to engage in conflict is almost a guaranteed death. A broken leg now isnt so bad; in SHTF its almost a death sentence. Even a light bullet wound can become rapidly septic, to say the least of trying to break into a camp of people who may be armed and have traps, dogs, and other things.

People in Africa generally dont shoot eachother on sight. Warziristan and the tribal parts of Afghanistan and Pakistan have essentially anarchy, yet they manage to exist.

Even after Katrina, a lot of the worst excesses (ie., reports of mass rape and cannibalism rumors) were fictional and exaggerated. Many of the WORST behavior happened in the Superdome, where the people lived under the government's eye, yet the government was so overburdened it couldnt help them, and since Uncle Sam likes a monopoly of force the gulf couldnt be filled with an adhoc militia to maintain a basic degree of civility.

During the plague, Europe went through a literal zombie apocalypse tier epidemic, yet they rebuilt a new social order when lords, knights, bishops, and barons were dropping like potato sacks. The Great Depression and Dust Bowl didnt have that societal freefall despite utter economic ruination
>>
>>35069143
No that's retarded because there's still TONS of cops and government around. Sure you might get to kill someone in a flooded house and get away with it because it's water world, but you aren't gonna see people roaving around raping and killing for beans because cops will put em down.

Imagine houston with no cops or nastygirls around, that nice dude in the boat rescuing people is gonna be shot so someone can take said boat and get their family out first instead of waiting half a day for rescue.
>>
>>35069404
civilians outnumber the police and military literally 300 to one. If shit hits the fan will the twenty fucking cops in my county be out on patrol or keeping their family safe? Most people don't even know what being hungry feels like, so most people would be willing to beat some ass after two days without food.
>>
>>35069031
i would trust less a father of a family than a lone hungry man
>>
>>35069031
Wow graphics keep getting better I can still see the aliasing and anisotropic filtering but it's much harder.
>>
>>35069347
>Warziristan and the tribal parts of Afghanistan and Pakistan have essentially anarchy, yet they manage to exist.
this is a part of a much more complex (or at least wider reaching) issue that the tribal parts are successfully self-governing. but they're not anarchic, each little town and tribe has its own elders and way of governing themselves. it's just that the taliban, the west, and other groups are trying to unify them against their will

>>35069545
i lived through the ice storm and no one was "willing to beat some ass after two days without food"

the CF even had to come out and distribute food and fix power lines and such but there wasnt exactly widespread civil unrest

when s has indeed htf, you have bigger concerns than re-enacing your favorite survival drama

most people, from what i experienced and heard after, mostly just traded food and materials amongst neighbors. i bet today youd have a lot more fatalities related to not having some supply or another because people talk to their neighbors less but for the most part people keep more than a few days' worth of food in their house
>>
>>35069143
I wouldn't look to Houston as a good measure of a SHTF scenario at all. There's probably a big difference between people holding on till help arrives and you having to be your help because that shit just doesn't exist anymore or the govt is just as hostile as the bandits.
>>
I live in a small town; your not invited
>>
>>35069031
Well Iraq a few years after the invasion was an accurate portrayal of shtf. But depending on cultural beliefs, some might just adapt to it through tribal traditions. You can't just kill someone if their from your community, anyone outside if free game.
>>
>>35069031
Total (unrealistic) shtf = 90% die off.
>>
>>35069897
I will bring snacks, can I come?
>>
>>35069917
> Diversity is our strength
At least Iraq had cohesive ethnic groups, if it happened in a Western Country, it would go full Mad Max within a week.
>>
>>35069031
You'd only see that kind of cut-throat behavior on wide scale when it became clear that there were not enough resources to sustain everyone even with sensible rationing.

Which really makes sense, since humans are better able to survive in groups. Five guys go hunting together, one or two bag a deer and everyone's family eats for the next week. Five guys hunt separately and it's either feast or famine for everyone rather than steady meals. A group of five guys could also come and take your hunting grounds.
>>
>>35072673
>Which really makes sense, since humans are better able to survive in groups. Five guys go hunting together, one or two bag a deer and everyone's family eats for the next week. Five guys hunt separately and it's either feast or famine for everyone rather than steady meals. A group of five guys could also come and take your hunting grounds.
The next step is that they start taxing you
>>
>>35069031
cowards would be cowards
>>
Normal people do not kill on sight, and probably never will. Many people have never killed so much as a deer; there's no way they would be able to kill a human unless seriously in danger.

That being said, these people will die.
>>
It will be like Japan earthquake. Everybody help each other. No Blacks and no Arabs.
>>
>>35069031
Bottom line, if you're in a city you're fucked. If you're in a small town where everyone knows each other and you're not a shitbag, surprisingly little will change.
>>
>>35073238
Adding to this, people killing on sight like in DayZ is because it's a game, and it's beneficial to kill other players to take their stuff and has no moral repercussions because it's not real life. CoD does not make operators, DayZ does not make post-apocalyptic psychopaths.
>>
>>35072673
why don't ancaps ever understand this
>>
>>35069031
I've been questioning this recently since Im a South Florida fag and Irma is closing in. Last big hurricane I was younger but remember how violent people were when it came to things like gas and even then my area was relatively unscathed. That said it depends on the location. If my area was Houston'd right now I guarantee there would be a lot if murder and stealing because there are too many haitians around here.
>>
I think the duration and scope of the shtf scenerio matters more than anything here.

If it's a flood/storm/other natural disaster, then most people realize that they will eventually be "back to work on monday" or "government will eventually take care of me".

Even if it's prolonged to more than a week, you can always evacuate and find a way to somewhere better.

If it's like that, then I think most people will keep their humanity because they know "this too shall pass"

However... if it's something much bigger that would end "society" as they know it like nukes/zombies. That's much more problematic.

At that point, it would just be a matter of time before people start losing it and nature starts sorting out the "fight or flight" of our race.

But yeah, over time, it would just be a degradation of morals for survival.
>>
File: 1499133077998.png (24KB, 453x748px) Image search: [Google]
1499133077998.png
24KB, 453x748px
>>35073345
Just remember
>Around blacks never relax
Niggers will chimp and spics will go full favella tier.

Hopefully you're well supplied and armed heavily, as should everyone in Florida. This looks like it's going to fucking nuke the whole SE of the state through multi track drifting, so hopefully you've got a lifted truck or a boat to get through any floodwaters.
>>
>>35069897
I have boipucci
>>
File: 1353466266120.jpg (76KB, 595x589px) Image search: [Google]
1353466266120.jpg
76KB, 595x589px
>>35069031
I'm immediately reminded about some forum post I read years ago where a guy who lived in and through the Bosnian conflict in the late 90's told his tale.

Wish I had that capped or at least linked. It was a fascinating read on the reality of a city full of people in a warzone with no government or law left.

The parts I remember are him saying people who tried going solo got fucking rekt by groups of 30 to 40 people who would sweep areas and kill and ransacked anyone they found. Water and medical supplies were worth their weight and gold, but the supreme currency was weapons and ammunition, period.

As much as I like to fantasize as the next guy here in /k/ about post apoc scenarios, the reality to me is easily that I lay low and avoid detection at all costs, especially if I have no buds to rely on. And if a single person comes snooping, I'm killing them no questions asked.

Survival is no joke.
>>
>>35074036
Its almost like you want to survive an apocalypse, you psychopath. I know I'll die, so I'll just try to make it worth it. Fuck living on a dead planet.
>>
It's natural for humans to create communities with other humans for mutual benefits. Makes no sense to kill a guy who knows how to fix your gear, and vice versa when you know how to farm well

and then there are others who will attack those communes to take everything they have, they will not attack alone, they will be in groups of 5-15 usually
>>
>>35069031
After nine eleven, the murder and violent crime rates in NYC dropped. If that's any indication of how people act in a disaster, my guess is that most people would feel solidarity and team up.
>>
>>35069347
Don't forget about how the military and thepolice force confiscated everyone's guns and yet to this day have not given them back in that katrina event.

Also give me the short version on what your talking about on the black death causing europe to revamp their social order please.
>>
>>35074297
>full on gun confiscation from the military and police

Holy fuck story!?
>>
>>35074427
Someone respond please...
>>
Tribalism will become reality. Look at history within tribalism for your answer
>>
>>35069031
Just stay away from brown people you'll be alright. The gods basically marked people from best to worst with a very simple color scheme.
>>
>>35074427
just look it up. they confiscated thousands of guns and stored them in the prison cells. when the water receded, they were all gone.
>>
>>35074712
Please tell me there was a huge backlash about this and the military and police got their asses rammed hard please.
>>
>>35074851
They dindu nuffin
>>
>>35074036
I remember reading that too. He also told about how dangerous even minor injuries were without medicine and how skills could be super valuable. Like there was a guy who knew how to jury rig disposable lighters and refill them and people generally didn't fuck with him because he had such a valuable skill and would pay him food so that they could have fire.
>>
>>35069404
>government suddenly disappearing just because some big event happened
Bro that shit's decentralized. If DC suddenly takes a hit it's not like local governments won't be able to carry on business as usual. If City Hall gets wiped in every city, there's police in police stations that will go out and try to keep things sane. There're military bases that will do the same. There will be neighborhood watches, there will be citizen militias, there will be no shortage of people trying to stay organized and cohesive. Any rogues like you piss your pants over will be apprehended or killed.
>>
>>35075513
this is accurate. we might chimp out for a minute but this is still America.
>>
>>35075530
>we might chimp out for a minute but this is still America.
actually it's a causal relationship.
the rest of the world would not even chimp out a little.
>>
File: 1492575664750.jpg (43KB, 500x347px) Image search: [Google]
1492575664750.jpg
43KB, 500x347px
>>35073289
Tfw this is why I want to be living the small town life right now. City folk suck with few exceptions. City women are preponderantly low tier.
>>
>>35069143
>If you want to see how people behave in SHTF, look at New Orleans in 2005.
>>
>>35069031
Speaking purely for myself here, but I would fulfill my fantasy of going full paladin and do my best to protect to good people in my city. Do that until shit settles, or I get killed protecting an old folks home from junkies looking for a fix or something.
>>
>>35074297
>>35074427
>>35074712
This isn't the case at all. The mayor and chief of police, acting on their own in a vacuum of leadership, ordered officers to confiscate weapons. They later got their asses sued off and returned almost all of the guns, though some did remain unclaimed. The NRA took them to court and they got reamed. Stop spreading fuddlore.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150821/a-decade-later-remember-new-orleans-gun-confiscation-can-and-has-happened-in-america
>>
>>35069143
>>35069404
There are different types of SHTF. Look at Houston than at Saraevo than at Donbass than at Haiti 1804.
>>
>>35075513
Problem is when several groups try to fill authority vacuum they may conflict with each other and then shooting starts. And sort of shooting that is "kill on sight". Another thing people usually don't solve conflict with shooting because one side (backed by central government) has absolute advantage so shooting at this side is 100% lose strategy. If central government doesn't provides such backing shooting becomes more useful strategy of conflict solving and depends on the relative number of fighters on each side.

>Any rogues like you piss your pants over will be apprehended or killed.
"Rogues" would be term for anyone who doesn't agree with your group and doesn't complies immediately.

One more. Dominating in the area authority group can have enough resources to defend from attacks against themselves but extending protection over wide area may require many times more they don;t have. See classic Katrina case when police dedicated resources to protect themselves first and let marauders roam relatively free through non cops neighborhoods.
>>
Just look at Houston and its surrounding areas for that answer. Looters are getting shoot on site because the police can't make it in.
>>
>>35069181

If we kept trailer parks as densely populated as we do inner cities, you see redneck crackers doing the same thing every time a tornado goes through
>>
>>35076196
Except OP specifically said an actual fallout type SHTF. Learn to read dumbass.
>>
>>35075970

this.
>>
>>35074036
>>35075406
I've got you, mein neggers
personalliberty.com/one-year-in-hell/
>>
>wasting potential good loot by cooperating with people

Fuck that, KOS all day erry day
>>
>>35076693
So a complete and utter fantasy.

Great thread.
>>
>>35077066
>no fun allowed
>>
>>35074201
That's a terrible example
>>
>>35074297
Simply put, the Black Death killed so many people across the social ladder that there was major social transformation. The shortage of labor meant a drastic increase in the value of manpower and screwed with a lot of noble lines, which coincided with technological innovations maturing.

Also consider that, although 1/3rd of Europe died of plague, a heat map would reveal extreme concentrations (ie., a city like Versailles may well be scourged to practically the last man, while a hamlet of 50 people may be spared completely).

Imagine trying to live in a city where half of everyone is just dead, often dying within a day. You dont understand WHY they are getting sick, you dont understand how to keep it from spreading, and there's nothing you can do if you or a family member gets sick. The reason we say "God Bless you" when you sneeze was because it was developed by the Church as a hail Mary attempt to stop the plague; we do it out of reflex 700 years later because it was so traumatic.

Without getting too in depth, the Renaissance wouldnt have likely been possible the way we know it if it wasnt for some 1/3rd of Europe, nobles and peasants included, dying.
>>
>>35069841
I oversimplified the Warziristan issue, but i meant it more of an illustration of how despite no meaningful central government, they manage to eek out a modest living and civilization. By Western standards, its very wild wild west-tier, but it doesnt take much to build a functional (here meaning "everyone can reasonably expect not to be gang raped or murdered if they follow these basic rules") society.
>>
>>35073329
Communalism works... but only for tight knit groups, and only to the extent they cover each others physical needs.

Ex: i may be willing to help my buddy hunt for durr, because i can expect he'll help me and share meat. I dont think i'd help him scavenge for a PS4, because I dont need or want a ps4 in return (maybe i dont have electricity, maybe I just dont care).

Communalisn also breaks down when societal trust falters or if there are not enough communal resources to ensure equitable access; 1 communal kitchen for a village of 800 just isnt going to work out long term
>>
I'd probably be full out S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and shoot first.
>>
File: IMG_9195.jpg (719KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9195.jpg
719KB, 3264x2448px
>>35069031
Well, I'm 24hrs away from a Hurricane SHTF. Lemme tell you one thing, it doesn't always end like Katrina. Sure, there will be thieves who will loot and people are gonna fight. Yes, there will be lost of homes and a shitton of paperwork. But one thing it won't be is STALKER, is because government emergency services are still operational and active throughout the area (NG, Coast Guard, First Repsonders, etc). Another thing is preparedness. Unlike Texas, Puerto Rico is a seasoned veteran of Hurricanes. We've already been preparing for damage reduction, and the populace is fairly experience on what's going to happen then. Just right now I had two NG helicopters pass by (pic related).
Tl:Dr It ain't gonna happen, there will be exaggerated stories, there will be general disorder, but when a government is prepared and its populace experienced, civil disorder will be reduced
>>
>>35071688
>cohesive ethnic groups
we do too. that's what white flight and suburbia is.
>>
>>35072751
>The next step is that they start taxing you

If they're not from the group you identify/associate with, it's not a tax. It's more like tribute, and it can be considered grounds for war. After all, that's what war boils down to. One group trying to take or protect a resource from another group.
>>
>>35074036
>>35076958
Proven to be a fake. Even if it wasn't groups of 30-40 soldiers rolling through villages killing ethnic and religous enemies isn't something anyone can realistically prepare for.

Also worth mentioning, "country/rural" has incredibly different meanings compared to Europe. There are still areas here in the Great Plains that are 4-5 hours away from anyone. That's with perfect roads.
>>
>>35069031
There will be lots of suspicion, twitchy people, and probably more politeness
>>
>>35069031
dunno cooperation works it produces results long term that far surpass selfishness. that is why we settled at the way civilization is built up by cooperating and trading on the largest scale possible.

if you think hard times would change that you are a moron. in fact i think cooperation might even intensify. partly because the punishment for non-cooperative behavior will become immensely more harsh when carps hit the fan.
>>
>>35074036
>in and through the Bosnian conflict in the late 90's told his tale.

You're talking about Selco. There's some pretty vigorous discussion about whether or not he's a fake. Iirc, the consensus on the various forums was that he most likely 'borrowed' events that happened to 3 or 4 people and made 1 composite life story that he claimed as his own.

Either way, he still makes some really good points. Just remember to adjust your preps according to the culture you're living in.
>>
>>35077412
>Proven to be a fake
I always see people post this but no-one ever links any sources that actually prove it to be fake.

I'm not saying it's real, by the way. Just saying I've never actually seen ot debunked other than people claiming it's been debunked.
>>
>>35077412
>groups of 30-40 soldiers rolling through villages killing
>isn't something anyone can realistically prepare for.
Try harder faggot. It's like you didn't design your house for survivability in terms of nature and people inside and out.
>>
>>35077055
You're the kind of dangerous nuisance who forces the neighborhood to band together, just so they can burn you out and shoot you down.
>>
>>35079333
Some anon posted links to the USAF humanitarian flight log archives for Bosnia. He also provided another link showing the mission parameters for the relief flights.

These, among other things, are what spurred the composite story theory. Selco's statements indicate he was in a smaller town, airdrops only went to the bigger enclaves. And so on. There's enough vague language in the story that you could interpret it any way you want.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.