[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/ yesterday morning I submerged a carbon steel blade in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20170903_105735.jpg (1MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170903_105735.jpg
1MB, 1944x2592px
Hey /k/ yesterday morning I submerged a carbon steel blade in some vinegar and I forgot about it until now. The blade has turned black and rusty and I don't know how to clean it. I won't miss the knife if it's unfixable, but It'd be nice to get it back in shape.
>>
>>35056192
Steel wool to get rid of rust, resharpen. It was supposed to be just black.

And blah blah just use it and get a natural patina blah blah ur a fagot.
>>
File: IMG_1036.jpg (81KB, 746x590px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1036.jpg
81KB, 746x590px
>>35056192
>unfixable
>but I want to know how to fix it..

Wat
>>
>>35056192
soak it again for an hour or so and wipe it down as soon as you take it out. Repeat if you need to, probably with less soak time.
>>
It was a bit rusty before but only in very tiny spots on the blade. It was someway polished.
>>
>>35056211
you should have cleaned the rust.
>>
>>35056203
I don't know if it is unfixable, that's what I meant.
>>
>>35056219
I know, I wanted to try something I haven't done before. I mean, the knife was 12 bucks, I didn't give a fuck
>>
>>35056203
>if it's unfixable, but It'd be nice
>if
Holy shit you're dumb.
>>
>>35056192
what are you a baby? have you never taken rust off of something?

just take a scotch-brite pad to it til the color is gone. this rust doesn't even look like enough to leave pits. calling it "surface rust" is practically an overstatement

every time i come back to /k/ its full of more and more children
>>
>>35056192
>i soaked ferrous metal in acetic acid and now its damaged

somewhere, deep in the amazon rain forest, a tree is tirelessly pumping out oxygen.
you owe that tree an apology.
>>
>>35058567

white vinegar can actually be used to remove rust if it is very bad. I soaked my mosin bolt in it after i bought it from a friend who shot corrosive ammo through it and never broke down the bolt for cleaning. It took all of the rust off and neutralized the spots to black which carded off pretty easy with a stainless steel brush.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.