[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stupid what if question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

File: sxf5v2r7ylmy.jpg (54KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
sxf5v2r7ylmy.jpg
54KB, 540x720px
If for some weird reason nobody could use firearms anymore and we had to go back to melee combat, what would warfare look like?
Considering modern technology, materials and industry.
>>
the same... everyone shits themselves when they die..
>>
>>35055598
We make lazers
>>
>>35055598
>attach giant ass blade to abrams inert gun
>ramming speed into crowd while spinning non-gun gunblade around

Also, you didn't discount explosives so everyone now just gets rpgs. It's like playing TF2 in a pub match.
>>
The compound bow industry booms overnight and everything stays basically the same, though engagements distances are halved.
>>
Small rockets with explosive warheads take over.

Nothing else changes.
>>
>>35055663
>>35055730
I would count rocket launchers as firearms
>>
>melee combat
We'd just use bows and crossbows.
>>
>>35055760
If we still have internal combustion engines what's to stop an APC from driving right into a group of archers? What if the military started issuing ballistic shields?
>>
>>35055768
The archers would be in their own APC's firing out of special holes.
>>
>>35055745
High explosives galore. Nothing changes beyond shit tons of explosions.
>>
Coilguns, airguns, lasers, railguns, fancy motorised self cocking crossbows.
Then we all die because whatever stops guns working ruins biochemistry entirely.
>>
Archers and crossbowmen would become a thing again. There would also be more guys armed like Chinese cops in Xinjiang, who have started carrying wolf tooth mace staves and mancatchers because Chinese police don't have the access to firearms that American police do and still have to deal with terrorist attacks (mostly knife/sword/machete charges, which kill a surprisingly large number of people when the target is a crowd).
>>
>>35055598
Polymer swords and armor.
>>
File: 1420101002188.jpg (329KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
1420101002188.jpg
329KB, 2592x1944px
>>35055777
Mechanized Bowmen, thats next level shit.
>>
>>35055777
>not APC cavalry to screen the flanks
>missing out on APC on APC boarding action
smhtbhfam
>>
File: 1299005471561.jpg (192KB, 629x481px) Image search: [Google]
1299005471561.jpg
192KB, 629x481px
Even without guns a tank would do an excellent job of demolishing blocks of both cavalry and infantry. So the warfare that existed just before firearms became a big thing would not return. What would come instead is unknown, because even without guns our current technological and cultural basis is completely different from back then. Instead we get pic related, because that's far more realistic than the "guns just can't be sued because reasons" scenario.
>>
File: file.png (726KB, 900x604px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
726KB, 900x604px
>>35055598
>>
File: pole-saw-safety-gear.jpg (80KB, 540x300px) Image search: [Google]
pole-saw-safety-gear.jpg
80KB, 540x300px
>>35055598
This, except for the tree is people.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>35055598
>>
>>35055598
Jörg Sprave would very rapidly become a central figure in weapons development.

Airguns would see a massive boom in use and crossbows might make a comeback too. Never underestimate the retarded amounts of power compressed air has. I imagine we might also see the return of catapults to some extent. Rockets and missiles would take over as artillery of the world while catapults, ballistas, and scorpions with nasty high explosive ammo would probably become the kings of short range arty. Lasers and railguns would suddenly get a far greater focus eventually taking over. Tanks would probably just become man crushers used for charging enemy lines rather than shooting from afar. Aircraft would just roll rockets, bombs, and missiles as usual. The arsenal ship would probably finally become a thing, big ass ships covered in VLS cells and seaRAM style systems. I would expect to see a return of spears, swords, and axes for sure but not as the primary method of war.

Warfare would be a clusterfuck of explosions.
>>
>>35055598
spear flammable acid flamethrower

that is all
>>
Grenades and flamethrowers.
>>
>>35055598

Are we still allowed to have explosives?

Anyway, warfare would look like really advanced crossbows and shit lol.
>>
>>35055598
Crossbows, flamethrowers, grenades + bombs.
>>
>>35056937
Actually, the only thing that would disable firearms would be the end of explosive reactions. That would make a much more interesting thread.

>No firearms
>No internal combustion engines
>No explosives
>>
>>35057068

Yeah but I think the OP was saying, just suspend disbelief and assume that all of a sudden there are no guns, no artillery pieces, nothing with a barrel and charge to set it off. I don't think he was including combustion in general, just the concept of a gun.
>>
MOTORIZED
REPEATING
CROSSBOWS
>>
File: wallpaper-2893525.jpg (333KB, 1562x970px) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper-2893525.jpg
333KB, 1562x970px
Pic related
>>
>>35057149
MBTs mounting massive Balistas, self propelled catapults; Yeah, I know light gas guns make more sense but they'd look cooler
>>
>>35057080
OP here.
Actually, I wanted a discussion about a hypothetical high tech melee world.
>>
>>35057222
Would never happen, melee combat is too retardedly dangerous to be viable in warfare; everyone be using high tech bows/crossbows and chemical energy projectile weapons.

Even if we had lightsabers we'd still need space magic to make them anything but suicidal to use.
>>
>>35055598
>What if no more firearms
Flamethrower since they're not legally a firearm
>>
>>35055598
your right, that IS a stupid question
>>
>>35057339
I know that it would never happen, hence the thread subject. But it would be cool to see how modern technology would do traditional melee combat.
Maybe some sort of Battle Royale entertainment scenario would be kind of possible. Different corporations designing weapons and gear, and training volunteers to fight to death in an arena, with a immense prize for the winner.
>>
>>35056834
let me me show you it's features
>>
>>35057410
>Instead of a car door or something like that the target is a captured enemy combatant
>>
>>35057068
And that'd wreck so much biochemistry that we'd die off as well, so
>>
>>35058081
What part of biochemistry involves explosives reactions ?
>>
>>35058109
How do you change chemistry to prevent explosions happening without also preventing respiration?
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.