[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/ book club

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 72

File: Hatchet.jpg (38KB, 416x639px) Image search: [Google]
Hatchet.jpg
38KB, 416x639px
What books does /k/ read?

Hatchet: kid stuck innawoods, has to survive from a plane crash in the canadian north.
>>
File: 91PtvGCilLL.jpg (668KB, 1400x2471px)
91PtvGCilLL.jpg
668KB, 1400x2471px
>>35049933
This and Tom Clancy
>>
>>35049933
Just finished my Vietnam collection, no on to Roman military.
Matterhorn, Chickenhawk, Praying for Slack, Guts n' Gunships, The Centurions, The Things They Carried, The Long Grey Line, and a few others. Most of them were pretty good, I enjoyed Praying for Slack the most because tanks.
>>
i love this book, the over the top ness of how America is so much better than the soviets, the russians crying when they watched ET. its all great
>>
File: 51syKw4npOL[1].jpg (34KB, 336x500px)
51syKw4npOL[1].jpg
34KB, 336x500px
>>35049933
I'm a nerd a heart, so I still read a lot of sci-fi stuff. I also like a bit of alternate history as well. Though mostly my interest is in non-fiction about history, military history in particular (as you'd expect from a /k/ommando).

One series of books I love is the "Mistakes in History" series by a guy named Bill Fawcett. Pic related is the first one I read, and over the years I've picked up several others.

Robert Harris, the guy who wrote Fatherland, wrote another book that I really liked, called Archangel. It follows a British historian in contemporary Russia as he hunts for a secret notebook, believed to be Stalin's diary. It kinda goes off into some strange /x/ style conspiracy stuff, but I think a lot of /k/ would find it interesting.
>tfw I learned more than a few interesting facts myself while looking up the information for you guys...

And as I said above, I'm a nerd at heart so I read a lot of sci-fi stuff. Mostly Warhammer 40,000, which is schlock pulp fiction of course, but when it's compared to most science fiction stuff it's fucking Shakespeare. And even then, there's more than a few novels that rise above even that to be considered just plain good in a general sense.
>>
"A Lonely Kind of War" is my favourite military book, it's an autobiography of a forward controller in Vietnam
>>
He can get pretty over the top and pulpy, but I've been reading through Correia's books lately and they're pretty fun. Recommended Grimnoir Chronicles to anyone who likes magic with warfare.
>>
>>35049933
Is this worth a read? My kid had to read it for school and it might be around the house still.
>>
>>35052117
Yes. Gary Paulson is a pretty good writer. For preteen red dawn nostalgia check out the White Fox Chronicles.
>>
>>35052117

its a fun read for a kid/teen. Paulson's autobios are fun reads since the dude is pretty much just anarchist druid.
>>
>>35052117
I read it in school years ago...... maybe 20? Fuck im old. I liked it and went on tp read the series at the time. Kid survives with wits barely surviving the canadian bush. When he gets home he cant take living in the city or dealing with people and runs back inna cold ass woods.

I recomend it. I guarantee you wont be like" well that was a waste"
>>
>>35049933
Johnny Got His Gun is still my fav war related book, although it's not the most /k/ book out there
>>
>>35049933
I enjoyed it as a kid, honestly this book got me interested in having survival kits and EDC kits because it felt fucking stupid that he didn't think to search the plane for more gear.

I mean it's been a long time, but I don't know if the plane was totally submerged.

I didn't read the sequel but I heard it sucked and ruined the series.
>>
>>35049933
All Tom Clancy books up until Rainbox Six

Starship Troopers

The Halo novels up until The Forerunner Saga (Halo lore peaked with Halo 3 and started dying from there)

The Killing Floor

Blood Meridian

Tribe (not /k/ related per se, but I think every man born after 1985 should read this)
>>
>>35049933
Death in the Long Grass

The tell all of a legendary professional hunter in Africa. Regardless of your view on big game hunting, it is a difficult to put down. The way he writes about the hunts is addicting. The chapter on leopards is probably the most intense thing I've ever read.
>>
>>35050134
just read it and it was great.
>>
>>35049933
Read this in 5th grade
>>
>>35052226
Wow, I saw this at my local bookstore yesterday and never heard of it before. Think I'll go back to get it now.
>>
>>35049933
> newberry Medal of Honor
More like newBORING Medal of Honor.
I read shitloads and I have literally never read a NBMOH book worth reading.
>>
File: 1470840094486.gif (428KB, 200x183px)
1470840094486.gif
428KB, 200x183px
>>35052156
Tfw the sequals have better ratings
>>
>>35052167
Halo fall of reach. First boom and all around awesome. Skip two since is just halo ce
>>
Bootprints by Hobart Winebrenner and Show me the Hero by Dale Lundigh are great ww2 GI books. Sawed off BAR's and civillian shotguns in the first. The second one is just an asshole to every german he sees.
>>
>>35052274
2nd book (The Flood) is still decent even though it's nowhere near as good as FoR or First Strike. I enjoyed the scenes about what the rest of the UNSC was up to on Halo while Chief was fucking around somewhere else.
>>
>>35049933
I like Paulsen but he's a gun grabber.
>>
>>35052338

Yeah, he went full retard with The Rifle.
>>
File: md21633840926.jpg (34KB, 300x411px)
md21633840926.jpg
34KB, 300x411px
I love how this book is written. 80 pages of history, philosophy, religion, fieldcraft, sex, and butterflies. Then suddenly then two straight pages on how to effectively suppress an Socimi 821
>>
>>35052258
Do it. Hope you don't have any big plans over the next few days.
>>
File: IMG_0832.jpg (79KB, 403x540px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0832.jpg
79KB, 403x540px
Blood Meridian
>>
>>35049996
Matterhorn is one of my favorites.
>>
>>35051402
Anon, you know if there are anymore Ciaphas Cain books on the way?
I loved those.
>>
File: one soldiers war.jpg (32KB, 313x499px)
one soldiers war.jpg
32KB, 313x499px
Most recently I read One Soldier's War In Chechnya, recommended here on /k/ by some anon or other. I haven't ripped through a book so quickly in a long time, but make no mistake, it is god damn brutal. The Chechen War was not vodka and Stalker memes, it was vodka and astounding cruelty.
>>
File: cain.jpg (100KB, 1280x720px)
cain.jpg
100KB, 1280x720px
>>35052445
I'm almost embarrassed to admit how much I loved Ciaphas Cain: Accidental Hero and Snarky Coward of the Imperium. Sometimes pulpy dime novels are exactly what you want.
>>
>>35052482
>>35052445
Read the Flashman books! The origin of Cain, and lots of shenanigans.
>>
File: 6214-square-1536.jpg (873KB, 1536x1536px) Image search: [Google]
6214-square-1536.jpg
873KB, 1536x1536px
Why aren't you doing more cardio anon?
>>
File: sodomybongpirate.jpg (198KB, 600x895px)
sodomybongpirate.jpg
198KB, 600x895px
>>35049933
am brushing up once again on Will and Ariel Durant's Story of Civilization for my tutoring gigs this fall.

Team Yankee
Red Storm Rising
Call of the Wild
Eye of the Needle
Sodomy and the Pirate Tradition
>>
>>35049933
I've read Lights Out by Halffast (can't remember his real name off the top of my head), parts of the series by A. American, that William R. Forchstein series, and stuff by Creek Stewart(sp?). They're all good authors. Most are in series though and I can't find PDFs anywhere. Build the Perfect Bug Out Bag and Build the Perfect Bug Out Vehicle are good reads desu.
>>
I'm a sucker for historical fiction. I have read the entire Sharpe series, aubrey/maturian series, the Saxon tales, Thomas Kidd series, Hornblower series, and I'm currently almost finished with the Alan Lewrie series.
I also read some fantasy series like the wheel of time and mistborn trilogy.
As far as war memoirs I rather enjoyed "my helmet for a pillow" and "goodbye darkness". William Manchester's recollection of his near death experience is pretty chilling.
>>
>>35049933

Brian's winter was the superior sequel
>>
>>
File: IMG_0454.jpg (53KB, 283x475px)
IMG_0454.jpg
53KB, 283x475px
>>35049933
Hatchet and pic attached are essential reading
>>
"Storm of steel" by Ernest junger is the GOAT
>>
>Everyone talking about what a great book hatchet was
>It's a fucking children's book
are you all serious?
>>
>>35052364
His argument in that was so unfeasible a possibility that it could literally never happen.
>>
>>35049973

The last good Tom Clancy book was Rainbow Six.
>>
>>35053015

holy fuck i thought I was the only who read this... the part with him trying to rock cook chicken...

fuck yes I loved that book
>>
>>35052596
>Red Storm Rising
Hells yeah man. Read back when I was 16 and the part with the Russian(?) troops raping the women in an Icelandic village really stuck with me.
>>
>>35053475

never read it, can I get a fast gesalt? I read the hatchet and Brian winter, then the river was dog shit
>>
>>35053267
Sometimes a Children's book can be good shit.
The trick is to not treat your readers like children, paradoxically.

Go read The Outsiders.
>>
>>35052156
fuck it's been about 20 years since I read it but IIRC the whole plane was submerged except the tip of the tail.
>>
>>35050134
It's not even that over the top. Red October evaded Dallas for basically the entire book until Marko decided it was time to "pop the hatch".

The movie is more or less consistent with the book too which is nice.
>>
>>35052156
>I didn't read the sequel but I heard it sucked and ruined the series.
The River is dull, but it's kinda necessary.
It's the direct sequel to Hatchet, where he was rescued at the end. In The River, a government researcher gets sent with him to study his techniques for wilderness survival. Then he gets put in a coma and Brian has to haul ass to civilization on the canoe he was given.

The other books are much better, where Brain wasn't rescued at the end of the first book and had to survive the winter, and the rest of the books follow that line.
>>
>>35053646
>don't treat the reader like children
>The Outsiders
The Outsiders was intended to be a regular adult novel, but the fact it was written by a 16 year old girl limited it's tact for many important aspects to any good story. This neutered it to it's young adult audience where it thrived because surprisingly stuff written by teens is enjoyed by teens because they can connect to it easier.
>>
>>35053600
>Gunsmith in the revolutionary war makes "best rifle ever"
>Everyone involved with rifle ends up dying
>Rediscovered years later
>Eventually random car shop owner gets it
>Puts over mantle
>Candle sets off 300 year old powder
>Neighbor kid gets shot
>Turns out kid was supposed to cure cancer or something, but won't because evil gun

Basically pure anti-gun propaganda. It also comes out in his other books. I honestly liked them as a kid, but looking back Pulsen had a hard on for the Brady bunch
>>
>>35049973
>Tom Clancy book that wasn't written by Tom Clancy
>>
>>35053716
Even when I read this when I was like 9 I thought it was stupid
>Brian is just doin his thing
>government asks to put him in what could be a very traumatic position to relive so he can show them basic things you could find in any survival book
>immediately Brian get's stranded again
>Brian is the only one who is mostly unharmed again
What a coincidence

also, that alternate timeline shit really annoyed me, It was worse than a shitty movie sequel because this just flat out ignored the ending of the first one and I just had to figure that out myself, it didn't say it was an alternate line. But that book was pretty good
>>
>>35052364
I accidentally picked up that book in a library once and after reading it I realized for the first time in my life that it was an antigun fantasy and I was thus progun.

So thanks Paulsen?
>>
Right now I'm reading about the Norman conquest because I wanna know more about muh ancestry.
>>
Definitely like my Scifi.

>Starship Troopers (and a lot of Heinlein's other stuff)
>Anything by Larry Correia, who ought to be a god to /k/ readfags
>Almost anything published by Baen
>Peter F Hamilton is good for a Brit
>So is Chris Nuttall, but his stuff is a bit repetitive
>Ignition by John D. Clark, which is a book on rocket fuels
>Few odd science and history related books
>>
>>35052117
In terms of survival innawoods for Little Johnny, I actually preferred My Side of the Mountain. Not sure how well it would hold up if I read it again, but I have fond memories of it.
>>
>>35053821
Ha, I had a similar revelation. I read a book called "Black Powder", basically about a nigger and his (white?) friend. Well nigger gets shot because he was involved in drugs and whitey is upset. He finds his professor who created a time travel machine that sends you back in time via mirrors and shit. Whitey wants to stop Francis Bacon from creating the first gun. He shows Francis a bunch of videos of war with guns and Francis ends up making the first pistol anyway because he couldn't resist doing so. Whitey and Francis have a few whacky dangerous adventures and eventually whitey gets sent back to his own time. He smashes a gun on his nigger's grave. The end.

Also the postscript is a bunch of antigun statistics courtesy of the Brady Campaign.

I used to think it was pretty deep when I was a dumb kid.
>>
>>35049933
Ride the Tiger, Revolt Against The Modern World, A Frozen Hell, Imperium, and Moby Dick
>>
>>35052167
Starship troopers is like 90% politics but still pretty good.
>>
>>35052258
Definitely do it, I started with that book and now own pretty much every one he's ever written
>>
Currently reading Gulag Archipelago because fuck commies.
This book is pretty good, also gives as unbiased a look at Rommel as Ive found. Good read so you can put Wehraboos in their place.
>>
>>35053835
Mike Williamson, Larry Correia, and Tom Kratman should be required /k/ reading

Mike
>Space libertarian paradise of gun nuts vs autocratic Earth UN
>Ripple Creek Mercenary Contractors
>A Long Time Until Now was actually a good time travel book

Larry
>You know how urban fantasy makes vampires romantic? Fuck that. Stake them in the heart and cut off their heads for profit
>Dead Six does Tom Clancy better than Tom Clancy
>Grimonir Trilogy has mother fucking John Moses Browning as a character

Tom
> Muh Space Second Gulf War
> Muh Space Panama mercenary army
> Muh Space progressives getting anally violated

All three are definitely wank fests, but they're wank fests in the best possible way
>>
File: 1503403216839.png (335KB, 1600x1200px)
1503403216839.png
335KB, 1600x1200px
>>35053700
Consistent yes but cut a whole lot.

I know its a movie and they can cram it all in there. The book is a much more rewarding experience

I kept getting freedom boners with the hard core MURICA shilling he did. It was great
>>
File: 71W7uZ-OyyL.jpg (134KB, 600x1001px)
71W7uZ-OyyL.jpg
134KB, 600x1001px
Good book. Pretty fucked up shit. "The Montagnard Man" is the best chapter.
>>
File: armor.jpg (87KB, 736x1104px)
armor.jpg
87KB, 736x1104px
Read this every year or two. Same with Tolkein and a few others.
>>
I've been reading japanese crime dramas recently
Not exactly /k/ material but they are hard boiled as fuck and I love it
>>
File: 1492371511861.jpg (39KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1492371511861.jpg
39KB, 600x600px
>>35054084
>black veterans
>>
>>35052997
I thoroughly enjoyed his battle with the moose.
>>
>>35049933
That's some nostalgia. Read that a few times when I was in 4th grade, really liked it, one of my big favorite books before Dune in 6th grade.

>>35052153
>When he gets home he cant take living in the city or dealing with people and runs back inna cold ass woods.
This is like full reverse-Jack London, what the fuck

>>35052596
>Sodomy and the Pirate Tradition
This is...
>>
>>35053015
Most dangerous game reboot confirmed gold.
>>
>/k/ book club

What the fuck is the book about a tank crew in a cold war gone hot scenario? I fucking want to read it so badly.
>>
File: images.jpg (17KB, 264x400px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
17KB, 264x400px
>>
File: IMG_2712.png (81KB, 750x1334px)
IMG_2712.png
81KB, 750x1334px
I read quite a bit on my phone.

I'm mostly through the Lost Fleet series and Southern Victory series, both are great.

On YouTube they have Hunt For the Red October as an audiobooks for free, finished it today. They also have Diary of a U-Boat commander, little action but a hell of a story. True too.

The After America series is also good. If you don't mind the US disappearing behind a wall of energy that turns everyone to goo and the country being run by Hawaii and Seattle basically. Good bit of military stuff as well.

Star Carrier series is a good take on space warfare. Atleast that is what I've heard. I enjoyed the books regardless.

The Phoenix Rising series is interesting. Mudslimes take over the US and eventually civil war breaks out. Very unrealistic and laughable but still a good time.

Theodore Roosevelt's Influence of Sea Power is a great read, as well as A Voage For Madmen.

"Patriots" by James Wesley is a book about hardcore prepers. Liked it but they go overboard on a lot of things and do many other things that are just plain unnecessary.

I have many more on my phone, but these stood out.
>>
>>35049933
edgy
>>
>>35053861
Loved it and hated the stupidity at the same time.
>>
File: images.jpg (121KB, 719x1080px)
images.jpg
121KB, 719x1080px
basically anything by this guy is really good. he writes a zombie series and a SHTF series. really good. Its written in a journal format too.
>>
>>35053491
I've heard Hunt for Red October was pretty good.
>>
>>35054186

Vastly underappreciated work. This, Forever War, and Old Man's War are some of my favorites.
>>
>>35052153
If I recall it was a What If sequel where Brian doesn't get saved at the end of the book. It continues on where he has to survive the winter in the same location. Interesting kind of concept to me, having an alternate sequel where you can explore further in the same setting. Especially in this context where it actually makes it a very interesting thought exercise.
>>
>>35054237
GET THE FUCK OFF MY BOARD RACIST
>>
File: 51VF1YNDX2L.jpg (39KB, 305x475px)
51VF1YNDX2L.jpg
39KB, 305x475px
>>35049933
My parents bought me this book when I was in 4th grade, I've probably read it 50x since.
>>
File: w204[1].jpg (14KB, 204x308px) Image search: [Google]
w204[1].jpg
14KB, 204x308px
mom got me this. pretty good. a little narrative based on interviews to compose the whole story- not just from survivors perspective, but also from outside looking down on the ordeal.

historical non-fiction is good, read everything because why not if you're looking to fill time

>tfw i studied the militarization of israel while taking shits
>>
Start the world
>>
>>35052153
You're thinking of Brian's Return, bro.
>>
>>35054866
>>
All other books in this thread don't matter. Jack donovan is a fucking god
>>
>>35054826
Fuck off commie
>>
>>35054889
This.
The Way Of Men is absolute god tier /k/ literature
>>
>>35052433
This book was fun to read, but I felt the violence was way tooo over the top
>>
File: without remorse.jpg (89KB, 600x1043px)
without remorse.jpg
89KB, 600x1043px
>>
A French airborne battallion gets captured in the First Indochina war, it tells of their experiences about how warfare has and is evolving, turning into something where both sides wear uniforms and follow the rules of war to insurgencies where the enemy does not wear a uniform and fights using guerrilla tactics and how this caused their complete failure to fight their enemy

It later on follow them into the Algerian War and the Suez Crisis, where they apply everything they learned from their mistakes in Vietnam

Its a pretty good read, not too long, multiple POV characters but not confusing and the author himself was a soldier and war correspondent
>>
>>35054889

isnt the guy who wrote that gay?
>>
>>35055556
What difference does that make?
>>
File: wayne.jpg (349KB, 1332x900px)
wayne.jpg
349KB, 1332x900px
>>35055556
What's it to ya?
>>
>>35053861
The key, critical difference between Hatchet and My Side of the Mountain is that the kid in Hatchet was thrown into a survival situation in the wilderness in the most literal way possible, where the kid in My Side of the Mountain went into and stayed in the wilderness because he wanted to, and could have left at any time.
>>
File: 1451246746317.gif (2MB, 360x270px)
1451246746317.gif
2MB, 360x270px
>>35050134
>Clancy made up everything about the October's propulsion system after reading up and researching current submarine tech
>mfw he got a visit from the Feds asking where the hell he got that info since what he wrote was literally what they were working on at the time
>>
>>35055567

>"Ya had to straight bitch-slap your friend's brother for callin your John Deere a 'John Queer'"
>>
>ctrl-f Clausewitz
>no results

come on /k/
>>
>>35055556
You ever met a real man that was gay? You would never guess it by looking or talking to them.

I had a teacher in high school. Cool as shit and annoyed with the world. He would start the day with whiskey and i would later find out from a buddy who worked at home depot that he spent his afternoons working on his land.

I didnt realize he was gay til i asked if he was some sort of fag as a joke and he responded "took you long enough to figure it out."
>>
>>35052482
no shame, they're by far some of the better WH40K fluff, Gaunt's Ghost is good too
>>
>>35055674
Did his dick taste like shit?
>>
>>35055674
Aside from the ones that act all faggy by talking with that faggy lisp and have limp sissy wrists, normal queers are hard to figure out. Though they all deserve to die. Scourge of the earth and child molesters.
>>
>>35055711
>>
>>35055711
That sure is a lot of anger towards gays, you in the closet, bro?
>>
>>35053861
Have you read the other books in the series? They're just as good honestly.
>>
>>35055839
That sure is a lot of guns, you overcompensating bro?
>>
>>35055903
Yes, my dick can't shoot out solid projectiles at 1000 fps.
>>
The Naked and the Dead
Starship Troopers
Catch 22
All Quiet on the Western Front
The Red Badge of Courage
Johnny Got His Gun
The Short-Timers
The Art of War
The Prince

Slaughterhouse 5 (& Slapstick)
Fear and Loathing
Anything by Palahniuk
Steal This Book!
Meditations of Marcus Aurelius
Franklin's Autobiograpghy
Walden

I'll throw in "V" by Pynchon
And "The Sea Is My Brother" (If you really like Kerouac)
>>
Forgot;
US Army Ranger Handbook
>>
Kill or Get Killed by Applegate. Lil' dated but good.
Finished "Filth" a bit ago, waaaay better than the movie (as always)
>>
>>35054829
Reading it for the first time. It's very gripping.
>>
File: A1OvK-kWZJL.jpg (1MB, 1629x2447px) Image search: [Google]
A1OvK-kWZJL.jpg
1MB, 1629x2447px
Down and Out in Paris and London

It's an autobiography of George Orwell's experiences living in abject poverty in the 1920's. In Paris, he describes the rat race that is living as a wage slave in restaurants, and in London he describes life as a basically a hobo. Since this is early 20th century poverty, you know it's some real shit. He wrote down several anecdotes he heard throughout his experience and they are both interesting and amusing.
>>
Haven't seen any Hemingway yet...
So, Hemingway
Also, Gandhi.
And Steppenwolfe.
>>
>>35056013
That's kinda surprising since he covered 2 wars.
>>
>>35055923
Why did I get hard at the thought of that? Man I really am fucked up in the head.
>>
File: 1344989506408.jpg (310KB, 962x721px) Image search: [Google]
1344989506408.jpg
310KB, 962x721px
>>35056093
>>
>>35052433
That cover is shit.
>>35055492
>t.brainlet
>>
File: download.jpg (10KB, 182x276px)
download.jpg
10KB, 182x276px
>>35052155
....you're the type of nigger that would also like cormac mccarthy's the road, huh?
Things I don't look for in a book: so bleak it leaves you wanting to kill not only yourself but all your loved ones because hope is just a joke, everything is ultimately unimportant and doomed to entropy and then forgotten, life is a cruel gift from a dead god, all joy turns bitter with time, and killing your loved ones is the ultimate gift because it's an infinite reprieve from the pain of living.

You can keep that bullshit.
>>
>>35049933
I red that as a kid. You read any of the sequels?
>>
>>35052167
Ugh. blood meridian? For real? I feel like a lot of people like that book because its cool to like it. People can't rally around the road or no country anymore because they are popular and have been turned into movies. I know blood meridian is becoming a movie too and now all you melonfarmers can say the book was better.
But the blood meridian was just like a cartoon version of a McCarthy book. Is it dark as fuck? Yep. Is it incredibly gruesome? Uh-huh. Is the protagonist lacking introspective monologues but sometimes spitting out pieces of erudition? Check. Is everything that is precious, beautiful, and/or innocent just fucking figuratively curb stomped into a gore pile? Jawohl. If other cormac books are cereal then blood meridian is cereal with a fistful of sugar dumped on it.
>>
>>35056177
I heard the aftertaste is explosive
>>
>>35052482
Love this stuff.
>>
File: Ed McMahon.jpg (27KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
Ed McMahon.jpg
27KB, 300x400px
>>35053667
You are correct sir!
>>
>>35053920
War is an extension of politics.
>>
>>35049933
>that realization that you've been eating fish that have been eating human.
>>
>>35053980
Pulp novels of the 21st century.

You can add John Ringo to that list. The Posleen war and the Counil War series are great stuff. Delves into the differnce between fighting battles and fighting wars and the importance of logistics and intel.

The Paladin of Shadows novels (What Ringo calls "50 Shades of Guns") are the raunchiest pornfest to ever include training sequences and the mass removal of kebab.
>>
>>35054084
Check out "Soul Patrol". War stories of and by brothas in the Nam.
>>
>>35055674
Kind of stupid a man who is mentally ill enough he can't perform the ONE biological function that matters talks about how to 'be a man'
>>
>>35054186
>>35054806
Great stuff. There's a bajillion part anthology series called "There Will Be War" edited by Jerry Pournelle that's fucking fantastic (I hear he started the series up again) and really anything that he and Larry Niven and/or Steve Barnes has ever written is worth reading.

I highly recommend the CoDominium Novels and the Legacy of Herot/Beowulf's Children novels.
>>
>>35055670
Von Clausewitz is a classic, but tragicaly flawed due to age.
>>
>>35056013
I find Hemmingway to be unreadable. His narrative style makes my teeth itch. It's like he tried to write a story after eating his own body-weight in ketamine.
>>
>>35056424
If that's the only biological function that matters, then WTF is breathing?
>>
>>35049933
>Underaged, b&
Or
>Illiterate fuck
>>
>>35056459
Booty is more important than air, food, or water. I'm serious. I have no shame in my game....
>>
>>35056493
What about your penis?
>>
>>35056493
Then you really are going to die before you procreate.

>no shame in my game
>game
Fucking and procreation is srsbsns kid.
>>
>>35056510
I see someone doesn't recognize Fleece "Booty Warrior" Johnson's talking points.
>>
>>35054889
Just, fuck you. If the summary for this book wasn't just: "duh" for you. Welp I've got some news for you.
If you really want a book which pulls back the curtain on how a lot of things work then read "the republic" by Plato will take the ice pick of truth cram it into the corner of your eye and give you a reverse lobotomy.
One of the only books I've read that details how society has mirrored the structure of the human mind and how good naturally has more incentives than evil.(fuck you thrasymachus)
Why do I even try? Anybody here reading this going to say "it's old and popular, how could it be anything special?" .okay keep believing popularity is a negative indicator of quality,snowflake.
>>
>>35056572
Man, you are salty as fuck. I do agree though, Plato is great reading. Socrates as well since he basically would make people uncomfortable by exposing how little they knew on things they claimed to be experets on. Kinda obvious why they executed him and he nails it in his statement about how he speaks the truth and that they warn that he spoke "eloquently" to try and discredit his sharp wit.

I do like how Plato's Republic also kept women in their place, at home. There's a reason your average American woman is unhappy, she is doing something that goes against her natural instinct.
>>
>>35056459
Booty importance increases as actual booty quantity decreases.

Has no one told you that women won't fuck you if you make them important?
Treat them like an animal they love that shit.
When they cry don't place any importance on that shit they love being a victim and will play that card for all its worth.
>>
>>35056585
This is like one of 4 threads I actually like on this board. And there are some good books posted ,but damnt if there isn't a lot of shit that is so pedestrian and crude that I can't believe people who read as a pastime would recommend them. I feel like that's because those books are one of five that they've read ever. So I'm a little frustrated.

Also I agree women don't fucking know what they want don't ask them they'll tell you what they're supposed to want. They want to be at home they just don't want you to fucking know it
>>
>>35056630
Smart people can enjoy dumb things too. Not everything has to be high brow. I love Arnold movies even if they're mindless action films with cheesy one liners.

Just relax a bit man, at least there reading something. The see days that's a small miracle.
>>
>>35053785

Jesus that is almost as bad as the river.

other than Brian's winter I thought his autobiography on his Iditarod race was great, even though the goober fucked up in the first fucking 10 feet.
>>
>>35056589
>Booty importance increases as actual booty quantity decreases.
well, duh. Basic economics. why do you think more women than ever are willing to do anal and other shit they personally find at least weird if not actually unpleasant? Too much pussy available for men to turn to.

>Has no one told you that women won't fuck you if you make them important?
Well, they will, you just have to impress up them that the REASON they're important (or at least one of them) is because they fuck.

>they love being a victim
Most people do, that's condtioning, not genetics. That conditioning just started a lot earlier for women than for men is all (DAMN Walter Raleigh and all his heirs and assigns)
>>
>>35056572
>>35056630

You're such a moron
>>
Is the new metro book any good?
>>
File: 32844.jpg (17KB, 243x360px) Image search: [Google]
32844.jpg
17KB, 243x360px
>>35055979
Accounts from surviving IJN/A personnel are all so fascinating, they faced an apocalypse and lived to tell. This is another good one from the Yamato's 20 year old radar officer.
>>
>>35055513
This. Red storm rising, clear and present danger, and hunt for the red October are all essential Clancy.
>>
File: 1501340613976.jpg (24KB, 640x392px) Image search: [Google]
1501340613976.jpg
24KB, 640x392px
>>35055839
>>
>>35049933
4th grade reading level book
>>
>>35052458
i agree it's an outstanding book written with suck grit and acceptance for the cruelty he has to endure. it seems like he expects to be treated that way as if its normal. The 'scene' in the house where he imagines a wife and she hangs his kit on the radiator "to dry" gave me shudders; seeing his mental state deteriorate to a state of such deprivation, desperation and desire.
>>
>>35056246
i really didn't like the tone of dispatches. He sounds like a classic sensationalized reporter spewing words like man, dude, greased and other popular language (popular of the time for both soldiers and civilians) in the hope of sounding cool and with it. He constantly makes a point of people being surprised when they find out hes there voluntarily. To me he is a tourist and has just gone for fun not to report and hare the stories of others. In the end section of the book he has almost a whole chapter to another reporter, i don't feel that he accurately captures the reality of Vietnam and may not even have intended to.
>>
File: Starship_Troopers_(novel).jpg (38KB, 205x300px) Image search: [Google]
Starship_Troopers_(novel).jpg
38KB, 205x300px
Probably the most /k/ fiction I've ever read.
>>
>>35054791
god damn that book was shit
I like how the SHTF comes from the whole CIA electronic superbug, but the whole book was fucking stupid and assumed that an economic depression would set us back a millenium and that everyone would run away from their responsibilities as nuke plant workers, railroad operators etc. EXCEPT the cops and military, those guys will stick around so you can #RESIST and #FIGHT them with the captured MRAPs you just have lying around.
>>
>>35054889
why can I find no/very little mention of this book online?
>>
>>35053941
I'm also working on the Gulag Archipelago, but I'm starting with part II since I found it for free and figured it would be better than nothing. Unfortunately with classes I don't have as much time to read it as I would like. What are your thoughts on part I so far?
>>
>>35054889
https://zagria.blogspot.com/2010/11/jack-donovan-1974-artist-priest.html#.WaxBMomnGUk

Hmmm not sure how good that bio is but his own web pages talks about

The meaning and the purpose of the four “tactical virtues” that define masculinity

He does make some good points about masculinity... Tactical virtues is very /k/

to bad 85% of /k/ probably does not meet his criteria of being a man
>>
No Roadside Picnic?

It's the inspiration for STALKER and even if it wound up not being particularly /k/, it's a fine work of fiction.

http://soviethistory.msu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/picnic.pdf
>>
File: 1473013489695.gif (999KB, 250x251px)
1473013489695.gif
999KB, 250x251px
What's up my nibbas
I reed these books and liked them
>Memoirs of an Outlaw: Life in the Sandbox
>Outlaw Platoon: Heroes, Renegades, Infidels, and the Brotherhood of War in Afghanistan
>Sniper One: On Scope and Under Siege with a Sniper Team in Iraq
Also I'm want to read Ben Macintyre - Rogue Heroes
What similar books you can recommend to me?
>>
>>35055926
I love me some Kurt Vonnegut. Have you read Cats Cradle? It's got a great doomsday part.
>>
>>35059760

Bleak, but a good yarn

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/21279/21279-h/21279-h.htm
>>
>>35059786
That was a great read! Hopefully we'll never see anything like that in our lifetimes.
>>
>>35059991
If it does happen, I hope it's not like that, but rather like in starship troopers, where you have to have been a civil servant of some sort to breed.
>>
File: airborn.jpg (563KB, 1061x1600px) Image search: [Google]
airborn.jpg
563KB, 1061x1600px
Not really /k/ related aside from sky pirates, but absolutely loved this book as a kid.
>>
Since I'm here. Any good recommendations on fictitious war novels that focus on the troops and their camaraderie during frontline combat? Future, modern, or past wars. It doesnt matter
I keep running into novels about commanders, special ops teams, and politics which aren't to my liking.
>>
>>35049933
Read that in 4th grade but yes I read all the time.
>>
File: 9780451462374B.jpg (1MB, 1252x2026px) Image search: [Google]
9780451462374B.jpg
1MB, 1252x2026px
This entire series is pretty accurate of its depiction of WWII Navy Routine, Anderson describes the ships in really precise detail. Also, It's teeming with /k/ shit down to crew members pondering whether they could fuck Lemur people.
>>
>>35049933
I read that a long time ago in grade school, solid book. Right now I'm finishing up my book backlog and am reading Robert Heinlein's For Us, The Living.
>>
>deathwatch
>0 results
Kid gets stalked by madman Inna desert during hunting trip.
>>
File: IMG_28071_zpsfafc0d0c.jpg (149KB, 1024x867px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_28071_zpsfafc0d0c.jpg
149KB, 1024x867px
>>35060181
I'm wondering how many infants I would have to sacrifice for HBO to make a TV series adaptation.
>>
>>35060149
A bit old but All Quiet on the Western Front is an excellent novel following a group of German boys through World War One.
>>
File: 51Da8ykSs0L._SY346_.jpg (29KB, 227x346px) Image search: [Google]
51Da8ykSs0L._SY346_.jpg
29KB, 227x346px
Great book that I'm sure most of /k/ has already read.
>>
>>35056246
Different anon, but reading horridly depressing novels is a great way to rediscover how to appreciate what yo have in life, even if it is as mundane as a cold bottle of beer in the refrigerator. The world can be a shit, so find any enjoyment you can and cherish it.
>>
>>35053920
Starship Troopers is 90% coming of age story, 5% brief mentions of a political system, and 5% war.

I sometimes wonder if /k/ has ever actually read it.
>>
The Profession by Stephen Pressfield

Has PMCs, Operators, General Mattis as the grey area antagonist, Operating, killing kebab, etc.

Legitimately fantastic book though.
>>
>>35054186
This novel was one of the direct inspirations for Halo.

Off the top of my head:

Armor
Ringworld
The Vang

There's a few others, but those were the big ones.
>>
File: storm of steel.jpg (40KB, 325x499px) Image search: [Google]
storm of steel.jpg
40KB, 325x499px
>Not mentioning the greatest war story ever written
>>
>>35060279
Ctrl+f'd it, I stand corrected
>>
More from Storm of Steel guy

(I reeeeeeallly like world war one)
>>
File: Poilu2.jpg (173KB, 658x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Poilu2.jpg
173KB, 658x1000px
More
>>
File: spow.jpg (8KB, 181x278px)
spow.jpg
8KB, 181x278px
Basically a story of a man's adventure with his bros

[[also possibly completely fictional but still a good read]]
>>
File: For whom the Bell Tolls.jpg (21KB, 236x378px) Image search: [Google]
For whom the Bell Tolls.jpg
21KB, 236x378px
A story of one man's adventure to get laid... and operate in Spain
>>
File: Shake Hands.jpg (50KB, 329x499px) Image search: [Google]
Shake Hands.jpg
50KB, 329x499px
Not so much a classic war story, but it does really immerse you into the bureaucracy that fuels war and how it works on a global scale

[I'm also Canadian so this is instantly on the list]
>>
>>35056003
"Homage to Catalonia" is another good book about George Orwell's experiences fighting Franco's army with Catalan anarchists in the Spanish Civil War.
>>
>>35060330
This and Orwell's Homage to Catalonia are great books on the Spanish civil war. Amazing, entertaining reads for anyone interested in that time period.
>>
Right now? This. Puts the battle of Stamford Bridge in its proper context.
>>
>>35059760
I can't stand his prose
>>
>>35056304
It's actually the only McCarthy book I've read. No Country was a really good movie, but I thought it was overrated. Never seen The Road.

I get why the author gets flak because his books (all of them?) have the same grim "Everything is bleak. Happiness is a lie" motif, but Blood Meridian in itself is a great book.
>>
>>35056493
He's a booty warrior!
>>
>>35056510
>Choosing the hard way
I likes ya, an I wants ya
>>
If anyone has an interest in Air Force or Gulf War history definitely read this. Written along with GEN Cbuck Horner, who lead the air campaign in 1991.

The first half of the book is about his experiences training in F-100 Super Sabers for the tactical nuke mission. This was back when the Air Force were a bunch of cowboys testing revolutionary tactics. Pilots died in training more or less every single week.
>>
File: image.jpg (25KB, 192x288px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25KB, 192x288px
>>35060573
Forgot pic
>>
>>35055633
He did the same thing with the F-117 in Red Storm iirc
>>
>>35049933
Tank Warfare on the Eastern Front series by Forcyk, and The Cruel Sea by Monsarrat. Both are great, definitely worth a read.
>>
File: 1451882173413.jpg (51KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1451882173413.jpg
51KB, 1024x576px
>>35060134
Great young adult novel, that and the Mortal Engines series were my favorites as a lad.
>>
File: 512DR0R55EL.jpg (53KB, 292x475px)
512DR0R55EL.jpg
53KB, 292x475px
Bolo - I came for the giant AI tanks but stayed for the feels
>>
>>35049933
I just started reading the classics. I'm on the Iliad, which is quintessential /k/ literature.
>>
File: 71PHVTgWVGL.jpg (161KB, 907x1360px) Image search: [Google]
71PHVTgWVGL.jpg
161KB, 907x1360px
>>35049933
Been reading (or trying to read) pic related and Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese Grammar.
僕の日本語はくそだ
>>
File: 510Qp5m-tpL.jpg (56KB, 363x500px) Image search: [Google]
510Qp5m-tpL.jpg
56KB, 363x500px
Who here reads Osprey books?
>>
>>35053799
>Ghost Recon styled after Rainbow Six and uses Clancy's name for branding
>Book is written based off of existing characters in the games
>Tom Clancy has his name on it because of the games it is based on
makes sense to me.
>>
>>35060759
Yeah I've got a couple. Good reads, but sometimes expensive for what they are, depending on where you buy them.
>>
>>35060215
this looks monumentally gay
>>
>>35056304
Except for the fact that Blood Meridian was considered to be his masterpiece, the greatest expression of his style, before the millenial pea-coat posse did their first bumbling spaghetti-encrusted Tommy Lee Jones interview, BM has always been considered to be the most hyper-violent/bleak of his works, and in that sense the best.
>>
File: saddlecannon.jpg (4KB, 439x115px)
saddlecannon.jpg
4KB, 439x115px
>>35056304
S A D D L E P I S T O L S
A
D
D
L
E

P
I
S
T
O
L
S
>>
>>35061292
Aww man, it fucks up unless you expand the image
>>
Harry Turtledove's Guns of the South is pretty nice.
>>
>>35052433
good choice man gotta love cormac McCarthy. The road too god damn favorite author hands down
>>
>>35058710
That does sound suspiciouly like a pants-on-head retarded author.
>>
>>35054826
Obvious b8
>>
>>35060701
Always start with the Greeks
>>
>>35060058
I doubt it will happen. If we really wanted to take care of the population we just need to cut aid to Africa and let them sort themselves out.
>>
>>35060149
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. It's sort of depressing, but what the tralfamadorians say really helped me out a lot when my step dad died my freshman year of high school.
>>
>>35060330
I can't fucking stand Hemingway. What really turned me off from him is how dull The Old Man and the Sea was. It's so fucking boring. Tell me, are his other books any better or can I expect to be bored out of my skull the entire time?
>>
>>35060476
I love his prose. I think he's a more interesting author than say Hemingway. Hemingway tries too hard in my opinion to have an underlying deeper meaning. With Vonnegut, it seems as though it just flows naturally. He's also able to put the awful and mundane and ridiculous in his stories without them coming off as over the top and that's a hard skill to find as far as authors go. Try reading Cat's Cradle, Slapstick, God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater, or Breakfast of Champions.
>>
File: gwh.jpg (135KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
gwh.jpg
135KB, 900x900px
Any love for Abbey here?
>inb4 leftist
Not really, and G.W. Hayduke is /k/ incarnate
>>
>>35055567
>Be Canada farm man
>Go to local bar
>See 7/10 woman but hell it's the best in the bar
>Proceed to talk to said woman
>Starts telling you stories of people that sound familiar
>Get worried you might be related
>Still hit that puss because shits cash.
>Mfw
>>
File: hwat.jpg (8KB, 226x200px)
hwat.jpg
8KB, 226x200px
>>35062893
>>
>>35060208
can i have your gun?

dude one day when i actualy make more money than what it costs to pay my shitty apartment rent, water, and electric i will one day own a US stamped 1911.
>>
>>35060208
Fuck this greedy faggot >>35062989 may I please have that dope quilt??
>>
>>35060215
i had to read a book a friend wrote....... about hard core gay furry shit.

im like dude were friends but this is too much. then i go into him about how wrong he got the navy and chain of command and gun shit.

also the gay stuff was gross, im not a faggot
>>
File: fallenangels.jpg (53KB, 286x475px) Image search: [Google]
fallenangels.jpg
53KB, 286x475px
Probly one of my favorite reads. Been a while though.
>>
File: wax-and-wayne-mistborn.jpg (367KB, 1600x815px) Image search: [Google]
wax-and-wayne-mistborn.jpg
367KB, 1600x815px
The second Mist Born series has been pretty /K/ in a Western/Fantasy setting
>>
>>35063043
Been looking for a new fantasy series. I hate to skip three books, so how is the first trilogy? Or is it pretty easy to jump into the second three?
>>
>>35063171
the first Mistborn trilogy is fantastic and should be considered one of the classics for the genre imo. It has one of the better and more unique magic systems I've ever read, the current series is also really good, partly in how he continues the magic system and integrates it into evolving technology

I have yet to not enjoy one of Sanderson's books and the Stormlight Archives, his super major epic series which is supposed to tie all his various other works together eventually, is one of my more anticipated ongoings
>>
>>35063278
Yeah, I had the Stormlight series pop up in my recommendations and enjoyed it as well. Since Audible decided to give me 6 free books for living in Houston, I'll try out Mistborn. Thanks.
>>
A part I liked in the Dark Tower 2, was when Roland was trying to describe a retention holster to two cops and they took it as spring clip, which I'm still not sure what that is.
>>
>>35053861
seconding MSotM. Loved that shit as a kid.
>>
>>35049996
Before you go on, read Fields of Fire
>>
>>35052226
Peter Hathaway Capstick. Such a good read. Dude left his job as a stockbroker to be a game warden in Africa. Also check out Death in the Silent Places.
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.jpg (72KB, 604x613px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.jpg
72KB, 604x613px
>>35052433
>order this book on amazon
>suggestions get filled with edgy books
>>
>>35062721
FWTBT is, IMO, a pretty accurate depriction of war -at the time- it captures the downtime and sudden adrenaline of combat perfectly. It only get a little weird when you consider that the MC goes out of his way to fuck an underaged grill --- In other words, /k/ approved
>>
>>35053015
I knew a furry girl that sat next to me that pitched this book at me in my first semester at college. I fucked up, didn't I?

The coulda had some sweet mursuit action.
>>
>>35056435

> there will be war

Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time...that's when I first read Ender's Game.
>>
File: 1467704988626.jpg (30KB, 374x454px) Image search: [Google]
1467704988626.jpg
30KB, 374x454px
>>35060359
Fuck yeah anon, I thought I was the only one who read that
>>
No Hammer's Slammers? Just that silly Bolo shit? If you want to see a remarkably awesome interpretation of C3I stuff in the near future--written decades ago--check that series by David Drake out.

It's also got really solid politics and gruntwork.

For those who prefer more apocalyptic stuff, check out "War Day" (touring the US years after WWIII) or "One Second After" (EMP is very bad).

For the thinking man, I'd suggest "Wasp", which is basically the insurgent's manual IN SPAAAACE. Similarly, "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" for viva la revolucion ON THE MOOON (also is good Heinlen work).

And the fact that nobody has mentioned "Rainbow Six" or any of Turtledove's Worldwar series (ayyyy lmaos invade during WW2 expecting crusader-level resistance) is just sad.
>>
>>35063847
Cool. I check it out. Thank you.
>>
>>35064218
I'll. Fuck sakes. I've been up for a while so excuse and errors.
>>
>No Hero (Book by a ST6 guy about life in general with stories from many past operations
>No Easy Day ( Book by the same above author but about the bin laden mission and other major missions over his career
>The Operator ( Book by the guy who fired the shots the killed bin laden, basically a life story leading up the that moment)
>>
>>35058078
I was insulting him with the booty quantity line. He thinks booty is important because he hasn't gotten any.
>>
>>35060851
>expensive for what they are
agreed
>>
>>35060505
It was just so cormac. I mean after all the horrible shit done to innocent things
(children,puppies,donkeys,horses) at the end when he presented the bear and girl on stage I actually yelled "what the fuck is wrong with you?" before anything happened.

Also who is there to identify with in that book I couldn't care less of any of them died at anytime.
>>
>>35056572
Are you that gay fag that goes to nuggetfest and dresses up like an anime girl?
>>
>>35056572
>>35056585
Samefagging like crazy
Get a life loser
>>
>>35054889
If you read this book and agreed with it then we can be best buds
>>
>>35049933
I'd recommend (based on what I have read):

The Matchlock Gun (Ya, it's a children's novel, but it was memorable to me)

Four Steps to Death (WWII/Eastern Front from perspective of both sides)

All Quiet on the Western Front (Pretty much required reading, if not mentioned already)

The Great Escape (I liked this better than the movie, much more suspense)

War and Peace (This is an excellent classic, that is if you can stomach 1700+ pages)
>>
File: Capture+_2017-09-04-01-11-13.png (111KB, 480x792px) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2017-09-04-01-11-13.png
111KB, 480x792px
>>35064488
Great job
>>
>>35064478
A)People who can read are chased out of Nuggetfest with torches and pitchforks (at least as far as those fat fucks can jog before they die)
B) is "gay fag" a double negative? From the context I'm assuming you mean Just gay and No. Pussy is so much better than mouth or ass (something the neckbeard trap fetishists don't understand because they've had neither most likely). I'd rather be dead.
C)i think you're the "gay fag" for asking. You're dissapointed I'm not. But here is a heads up I believe that tripfag infests the battle rifle general threads sometimes. Better hurry.
D) wear protection when fucking that faggot. going out like Freddy mercury is no fun.
>>
>>35062721
Agreed. I've read nothing by Hemingway that has caused me to change my opinion of him.
>>
>>35063975
>Ender's Game
Possibly the most /k/ book in exisence.
>>
>>35064372
I accept your reaoning.
>>
>For wheelgunfags, swordbros and general manly-men
Pretty much anything by Louis L'amour. Classic western gunfightin' action along with the ever-present threat of nature itself murdering your punk ass.

Notable exceptions include The Walking Drum (takes place in 12th century Europe/Middle East), Last of the Breed (set in the mid-80's USSR, an American spy-plane pilot escapes after being downed) and (arguably) Haunted Mesa (being a fantasy/Western hybrid set in the modern era and crossing into another universe where all the missing Anasazi went and still rule with an iron fist).
>>
>>35065808
He probably killed himself trying to get through one of his own fucking books. If you haven't already, check out Kurt Vonnegut. Slapstick is pretty good as is Breakfast of Champions, Cats Cradle, Slaughterhouse Five, 2BR02B is a good short story, and God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater. A line that has always stuck with me from God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater is when he's doing the baptism of the twins. He says something to the effect of "Hello babies, welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At most, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of babies - God damn it, you've got to be kind". It's just always sort of stuck with me and I try and be kind to everyone because he's got a point. The world is pretty shitty, no sense in making it worse for someone by being a cunt.
>>
>>35065926
Hell yes! Love me some L'amour! To add to this, William Johnstone is a great western author. The Frontiersman series is great for some prairie nigger killing. They've actually released the third book in the series, but I haven't read it yet.
>>
>>35065964
Thanks for the recomendation. Started reading 2BR0TB earlier this evening on the strength of a post in this thread and the gutenberg link (was this you?) So far it's pretty decent, if a little too Ray Bradbury-esq in the prose.
>>
>>35066016
>2BR02B
Fuck I'm tired
>>
>>35066001
Johnstone gives fantastic western.

Any love for post-apocalyptic operating? James Axler's Deathlands novels are pulp post-apocalyptic operating awsomeness, full of gore, camp and hard-boiled wasteland badassery.
>>
>>35065867
Its simple booty economics.supply vs demand.
>>
>>35065964
I'll blow my fucking brains out right godamn now if you force me to read "old man and the sea". FUCKING BORING.
>>
>>35065964
Doesn't he know the babies can't understand him? This Vonnegut guy has some pretty spotty writing.
>>
>>35065696
What's life like for a low test failure?
>>
>>35066469
The only thing I test low for nigger, is stds.
And I say low not "free of" because lately I've gotten an absolutely scorching case of chlamydia from that rancid hairy lump of cottage cheese whose womb you spilled out of. And just like your father i had the same thought when I woke the next day "I HAVE to stop drinking. I mean did I just bang a flesh colored garbage bag?"
>>
>>35052156
He did search the plane for more gear, but it wasn't visible above the water until a storm lifted it up.
>>
>>35060134
I disliked some stuff about it, but its fills the hole that the crimson sky vidya left
>>
>>35053980
As someone that's known Williamson in a social capacity, he's a gigantic cuck and tried to ruin a guy's life over a petty disagreement
>>
>>35055513
Same, just got to were Kelly starts killing drug dealers
>>
>>35065696
Wow how fucking new are you.
Everyone on 4chan is a fag. You just add it to the end of whatever proper title you have.
A gayfag is not doubly gay. Lurk moar faggot
>>
>>35049933
Yes
>>
>>35056246

All right, so you stick to the Disney fairy tales and happy endings section of the library?
>>
>>35067474
One does not have to believe that the world is all sunshine and rainbows to not believe that it's not a 70 year razor-slide into oblivion.

Bad things happen. The bad guys win about as much as the good guys do. There are horrors in the world and you don't have to look real hard to find them. But there is also hope. The good guys DO win sometimes. Enough of the time to make a lot of the world a relatiely OK place to be. There are acts of kindness and bravery enough to stem the tide of horror in many places and inspire others to do the same.

The world isn't black and whote or even shades of choking grey; its millions of colors in infinite shades and intensities. Some are pleasant, some are unpleasant. Don't like Commie Red? Grab a paintbrush and paint it over with Freedom Gold. Don't like the drab tones of poverty and famine? Take steps to douse it all in bright green prosperity and plenty.

And if you want stories that embrace horror and grittiness and the reality of combat and war but aren't 100% doom and gloom, I highly recommend anything by David Drake. Vietnam vet turned SciFi/MilFic author.

Recomended Reading List
>Hammer's Slammers (That entire series really)
>Redliners
>An Oblique Approach
>Lacy & His Friends
>Vitruvious & His Friends
>Everything else Drake has ever written.

If you start reading his works in the order that they were written (rather that in the order of internal chronology or by series), you can actually track the changes in his PTSD.
>>
>>35067601
Exactly humans would've realized life is bullshit and bit the dust along time ago if the world was as bleak as some authors paint it to be.
>>
>>35051541
>>35053835
>>35053980
>Correia

I was looking forward to the new Monster Hunter book but from everything I've read it was kind of a disappointment. I think he needs to just kill the Owen story line and get back to characters he can clearly write better like Earl and Franks.
>>
File: 1423298.jpg (4MB, 6000x4500px) Image search: [Google]
1423298.jpg
4MB, 6000x4500px
>>35049933
Holy fuck. My third grade teacher read me this story, I still remember most of the major beats in it.
God, I loved that book.
>>
>>35066016
Not me. Some other feller recommended it to me.
>>
>>35066040
I'll check them out.
>>
>>35066174
God I hated that book.
>>
>>35062814
Love his writing style, he tells a great story. Monkey Wrench Gang is just the tip of the iceberg. His stories about rafting the Colorado and campling/hiking the back country in the four corners area are relevant to my interests.
>>
>>35052332
If you liked those bits check out the Legion of the Damned series, by the same author. Bad assery on monumental scale.
>>
>>35063015
Same here man. It was my favorite book in middle school.
>>
>>35068945
Eh, I liked it. Definitely better than Legion and Vendetta. Probably my second favorite Owen book, and fourth overall. Maybe tied for third with Alpha.
>>
>>35054186
It's focus on psychology is part of why it's the one of the GOATs of military sci-fi
>>
>>35061574
Can't be as bad as William Lind
>>
>>35052596
>Story of Civilization
Top tier series
>>
File: McCaw.png (38KB, 697x400px) Image search: [Google]
McCaw.png
38KB, 697x400px
>>35060718
Also stayed up all fucking night until 7AM reading the Halo short story The Mona Lisa.
Top tier sci-fi action horror. The Flood is such an underrated enemy.
>>
File: a-higher-call-book-jacket.jpg (684KB, 1936x2889px) Image search: [Google]
a-higher-call-book-jacket.jpg
684KB, 1936x2889px
>>35049933
This was a great book, especially if you are a fan of the luftwaffe, or aircraft in general
>>
File: 1411903954914.jpg (537KB, 1409x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1411903954914.jpg
537KB, 1409x1600px
>>35067474
even as bleak as the Road is, it has noble themes like a father caring for his son, loyalty, perseverance when everything sucks ass, charity, a man in a shitty situation trying to guard his young son's innocence for a while longer. Blood Meridan had nothing noble about it, just a hateful and in my opinion anti-human perverse desire to showcase the depths of depravity that human beings mad in God's image can sink despite out divine potential.
>>
>>35066805
Explain
>>
I've been reading about the Caucasian Front. I did pick up a book on Soviet Combat Divers of WW2.

Other books in my reading list
Red Army men remember the Great Patriotic War

Forgotten Soldier

Battle for Belorussia

American Empire Blood and Iron

First contact

I finished reading The Man who Flew the Memphis Belle. It's a great book If anyone is interested in the air war over Europe and Japan written by a pilot who was there in both fronts.
>>
File: bookstack 2 (434x640).jpg (992KB, 434x640px) Image search: [Google]
bookstack 2 (434x640).jpg
992KB, 434x640px
>>35072430
pic related, this is my current bookstack.
>>
>>35066805
I kinda know him socially (FB friends who've exchanged words both friendly and un-. He never struck me as that kinda guy. Got details?
>>
>>35072513
Eh, I could see him doing something like that. He's always struck me as a bit of an asshole. Great author and pretty damn competent, but definitely has more than a little dickishness in him. Sort of a libertarian version of Scalzi
>>
>>35053980
Tom Kratman is a gigantic internet tough guy that can't anything other than dicksucking of shitty books

He can get fucked
>>
>>35054186
Probably one of my favorite endings of all time
>>
>>35071803
whats wrong with that dudes hand?
>>
File: McNuggies.jpg (28KB, 500x425px) Image search: [Google]
McNuggies.jpg
28KB, 500x425px
>>35074220
i think he's just holding the cup weird. these are marines after guadalcanal
>>
>>35073452
LOLyeah.

Shit. Scalzi...Old Man's War series, /k/ or nay?
>>
>>35053491
Red Storm Rising.
>>
>>35053267
If you ever see /k/ hyping up a piece of shit (be it a movie, book or whatever), rest assured that they are 100% serious.
>>
I'd love to read a book about the conflict between Russia and Ukraine with both points of view. Like two characters on opposite sides. Anyone know a book like that, or am I stuck dreaming?
>>
>>35056246
It's not like The Road was trying to hammer away a lesson in how hopelessly bleak life is and how there's nothing to look forward to belt death, though it may come across unbearably so. Much moreso it's about how insanely far a man can push himself beyond his natural limits when he has something incredibly precious to protect, like a beloved son, no matter how utterly bleak the circumstances.
Despite how overwhelmingly dark and depressing the overall story is, that central theme of the book is a surprisingly sentimental and uplifting one.
>>
>>35077187
I'm assuming most people who think like anon did have only watched the movie. It's a good movie but it's way more depressing than the book.
>>
>>35075784
I read Old Man's War back in highschool for a sci fi english class. It was a fucking awesome book.
>>
File: maxresdefault(130).jpg (104KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault(130).jpg
104KB, 1280x720px
I'm looking for a survival book like Hatchet but more adult. Like a guy surviving in the woods, but he has fend off from predators or meth heads or the like, so he has to ration his ammo, use makeshift weapons, stuff like that.
Anyone know the three part greentext of the homeless anon who went innawoods with his grandma's shotgun? I'm looking for a book version of that.
>>
>>35076493
Good shit. Team Yankee
>>
>>35077360
>Swiss Family Robinson
>Robinson Cruso
>One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey
>>
>>35049933
>>35052153
Loved these books as a kid, wasn't there 4?

Hatchet
>How it starts
Brian's Winter
>Basically if he didn't get rescued and had to survive a northern Canadian winter
Brian's Return
>Back innawoods with a journalist who wants to track how he survived, he ends up getting fucked up and the kid has to escape the woods with him unconscious

What was the fourth one? Or am I derping... anyways, I'm that shill J N Morgan, and the Hatchet series definitely inspired me to get into survivalism, which eventually lead to me writing my Living amongst the Dead series which is now 5 novels long. I need to re-read those books sometime, so bloody nostalgic. I recall the movie 'A Cry in the Wild' being good too, which is a movie based on the book. That scene when he goes back down into the plane in the lake... sketchy stuff, mang.
>>
File: llh.jpg (26KB, 224x346px) Image search: [Google]
llh.jpg
26KB, 224x346px
>>35049996
Low Level Hell went in quite good after Chickenhawk
>>
>>35077360
Off topic, but does anyone have the screencaps for that story? I can't find it anywhere.
>>
>>35049933
Thats a good read my dude
>>
>>35060223
maybe it was 90% coming of age but all of the coming of age was done in the excellent context of politics and war

it was incredibly well written and it threw you into the eyes of juan rico excellently
>>
>>35071364
Should have shot him down.
>>
>>35060359
"Anarchists"
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 72

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.