[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just how common were flintlock pistols?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

File: pistol_1762.jpg (127KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
pistol_1762.jpg
127KB, 1000x1000px
When did officers and enlisted soldiers start carrying standard issue pistols? Who used them before that?
>>
The concept of 'standard issue' for officer sidearms didn't really exist before WW1 (lots of officer bought and brought their personal guns), so with thst I think that you will find easy to understand why there's no real general answer for your question
>>
>>35049355
Very uncommon. A sword was more common for officers. And for the average frontiersmen if you could afford a gun you bought a rifle not a pistol.
>>
File: feeny.png (247KB, 431x319px) Image search: [Google]
feeny.png
247KB, 431x319px
Duelists, highwaymen and pirates
>>
File: 1195976535034.jpg (892KB, 2288x1712px) Image search: [Google]
1195976535034.jpg
892KB, 2288x1712px
Cavalry had largely switched form lance to matchlock pistol in the 16th century. I'm not sure when they then switched to flintlocks, probably early 18th century or so, but odds are you'd see significant variation there. The question of to what degree these were standard issue also depend son when the army you're looking at started using standard issue gear, Sweden had gone that way in the second half of the 17th century, many other armies were considerably later in standardising.

I don't think infantry ever really carried flintlock pistols.
>>
>>35049471
feeny?
THE captain feeny?!?
>>
>>35049488
Great movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARKtsemA_qI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woO1Cs6c-oo
>>
File: Battle_of_Jena.jpg (517KB, 2278x3269px) Image search: [Google]
Battle_of_Jena.jpg
517KB, 2278x3269px
>>35049486
> Dragoon regiments were established in most European armies during the late 17th and early 18th centuries.
> The name is derived from a type of firearm, called a "dragon", which was a handgun version of a blunderbuss, carried by dragoons of the French Army.
>>
>>35049519
They also fought on foot, so their status as cavalry is a bit in the grey.
>>
File: 7054198e41fe08e6ee.jpg (151KB, 736x983px) Image search: [Google]
7054198e41fe08e6ee.jpg
151KB, 736x983px
>>35049644
In theory, dragoons, scouts, hussars were issued pistols but more often than not there weren't enough of them to go around.

> The rest of the weapons equipping the Éclaireurs were the standard Chasseur a Cheval model Year XIII cavalry pistols and model Year IX light cavalry sabre.
> Due to general lack of equipment only the 3rd regiment was able to obtain shabraques, with only officers being so equipped in the 1st and 2nd regiments.
>>
>>35049355
Generally not as common in the army, but officers in the navy would have them
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.