[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fuck The Sun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: FuckMyShitUpDesert.jpg (128KB, 1152x767px) Image search: [Google]
FuckMyShitUpDesert.jpg
128KB, 1152x767px
Experiencing an unusual heat wave at the moment. No one here has AC so we are all miserable. There's flooding down in Texas but what do you do when you experience Phoenix style heat? How do you fight it? What weapons do you use? I've been using fans and evaporative cooling. For two days I've been making ice in pyrex casserole dishes and it's still fucking miserable. Should I suck it up and buy AC or should I jury rig a swamp cooler. Advice from southwest bros? Heat waves are only getting stronger. How does a man pick a fight with the sun and win?
>>
Also extreme weather prepper thread I guess?
>>
>>35047527
Buy an AC also what has kept you from getting one?
>>
Craigslist is your friend
>>
>>35047527
Go to wallmart, buy a 110 dollar window unit (the digital one, not the mechanical), throw that bitch in a window, enjoy your cold room.

Man evolved to change his environment. Don't be an animal op.
>>
Phx fag here buy an ac or initiate ultimate grit and get used to it.
>>
File: IMG_5053.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5053.png
1MB, 750x1334px
Phoenix AZ here. Had my AC break on me and couldn't get it fixed for a week.

Buy a $5 styrofoam cooler from the grocery store (or more expensive cooler if you want) and a few bags of ice. Get a spare computer fan or buy a cheap one if you don't have one. Cut two square holes on each side of the cooler near the top. Snugly fit the computer fan on one side, and leave the other hole open. Dump ice in the cooler up to the fan. The fan will pull warm air from one side and draw it over the ice, effectively cooling it and pushing it out the other side. Point in the direction you want cool air. Make multiple ones for multiple rooms, costs almost nothing.

Pic related
>>
>>35047593
Forgot to mention, the fans run on 9v batteries with no modifications. Buy some of those if you don't have them. Enjoy
>>
>>35047593
I wonder if a fan at the entrance would Increase the cooling factor or move air too fast and lower the cooling factor.

I bet you could get around this with a few Styrofoam planks forming an S that the air has to flow though, keeping your increased flow airflow.
>>
>>35047605
For my box, the air worked the opposite way. The fan pulled the air in and pushed it out the empty hole on the other side. Haven't tried two fans, also haven't tried dry ice or any other coolant. One 99 cent bag of ice gives you two days of cooling and the 9v battery lasts weeks. It won't be as cool as an AC unit but it seemed cooler than an evap but without the extra humidity than an evap gives. Point it at yourself while sleeping and thank me later
>>
>>35047605
Also that S shape idea is a really good idea. Kinda making your own coils. Maybe make the planks steel instead of styrofoam. Some kind of jerry rigged steel coils would be even better
>>
>>35047631
Trying to keep it as simple as possible, steel would complicate things, but actually cool down to inner temp and help.
>>
>>35047662
>>35047631
Oh shit. Bruh. Hear me out. Bruh. Listen.

Bruh.

Consecutive layers Metal mesh/fine chicken wire.

*drops mic*
>>
As a Phoenix bro who was poor for awhile and lived without power and thus AC, you learn to sleep during the hottest portions of the day, take frequent showers, and walk around shirtless a lot. Also leave all the doors/windows in your house open so you get some airflow. Otherwise the insulation in the house starts to work against you.

Alternatively, do what other people said and get an AC. Just make sure you set it up in one room, get one the right capacity for that room. Not too big or it will constantly shut off. Not too small, or it will run nonstop and rape your power bill. Make sure when you do this to get one with a thermostat and make sure you do your utmost best to seal the room with thermal insulation.
>>
>>35047670
wedged in between the S shaped planks to increase the time that the air spends over the ice. I like the way you think, brb buying mesh screens
>>
>>35047670
FAGGOT
>>
>>35047678
Digital AC's are energy efficient as fuck nowadays.

My electric bill went down and I ran that bitch at the lowest temp with the fan on high 24/7 all fucking month. I actually wonder why I fixed the fucking thing. Well, one room vs whole house but still, I spend all my time in the bedroom anyways...
>>
>>35047692
AC repairman spotted. I'm onto you.
>>
>>35047678
It's really hard for me to sleep when it's too hot
>>
File: Hell.jpg (19KB, 810x518px) Image search: [Google]
Hell.jpg
19KB, 810x518px
>>35047549
Haven't gotten one because this area usually doesn't get this hot, but things just keep getting hotter. More heatwaves. Global warming. Suck a dick.

>>35047574
No he isn't and I'm not calling him back

>>35047581
This is probably the best idea with the best justification in this thread.

>>35047585
I have no grit, only fine sand.

>>35047593
10/10 for creativity but I would rather spend the time It would take to do that ripping post-it notes off of my girlfriends nipples instead. It's not a sexual thing, I just really like doing that.

>>35047595
>>35047605
>>35047623
>>35047631
>>35047662
>>35047670
>>35047681
>>35047692
>>35047695

This is turning into a /diy/ thread.

>>35047678
We seen to be on the same page

>>35047696
Me too.
>>
File: IMG_3953.png (659KB, 600x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3953.png
659KB, 600x1440px
>>35047527
That sounds extremely painful
>>
Suck it up.
Become crepuscular.
Go to Montana.
t.Tucsonfag
>>
>>35047527
>Well its floodin down in Texas
>Muddy water turned to wine
>cant get through to my baby
>all the telephone lines are down
>>
>>35047837
Try shooting at the sun with 22lr. Maybe you'll hit the off switch.
>>
HIGH desert SoCal here where currently is 101°F w/ 12° humidity while inside the warmest room (my master br) is a comfy 79°, rest of home (2200sf) is a chill 75°. All courtesy of some serious swamp coolin' and a tight box. Only downside to evap cooling is when moisture climbs to fifty/sixty percent. We have two, maybe three, of them days PER YEAR.

>should I jury rig a swamp cooler
If sized correctly, your simplest and most cost effective route is getting that evap cooler running tiptop and making your building envelope as air tight and well insulated as you possibly can. Just doing this will pay dividends year round. If interested, I can step by step for you.
>a/c window unit prolly a best
If you go a/c, you still want to confirm the house's air/moisture barrier and insulation are on point. Sounds trivial, but by your description alone I'd bet c-notes to singles your house is sub-par in one, prolly both those areas. Wrap/sealant/reflective film/glass batting/mylar lined foam/etc is chump change and pays for itself in no time. Good luck anon.
>>
>>35047955
The Sun's pretty hot; I'd fuck it.
>>
>>35047527
Texas here. Central heat and air is best, but most expensive. A good, efficient heat pump will pay for itself in a few years, but installation just isn't cheap. A giant window unit in a central location will get it done, just get used to never closing any doors. A small window unit will cover one, maybe two closed off rooms. Pick those rooms very carefully. A small, portable air conditioning unit will cover a smallish room adequately, but you'll have to account for the condensation somehow.

For general cooling never underestimate the value of ceiling fans coupled with a central attic fan. The attic fan pulls in fresh air through open windows while the ceiling fans keep everything circulating. Seriously, this setup has saved me so much money on cooling bills.
>>
>>35047527
>How does a man pick a fight with the sun and win?
attack at night duh?
>>
>>35047593
$10 a day in ice
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.