[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a MBT that can withstand a Top-Attack ATGM?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: Javelin missile 25 July 2017.jpg (41KB, 570x344px) Image search: [Google]
Javelin missile 25 July 2017.jpg
41KB, 570x344px
Is there a MBT that can withstand a Top-Attack ATGM?
>>
>>35046088
Don't need to slap thick armor on the top of your tank to survive an ATGM if you can just take the missile out with countermeasures instead.
>>
But your answer is no and will probably remain no.
>>
>>35046208
Is there an APS that can counter Top-Attack ATGMs?
>>
>>35046255
Don't think any of them can hit a target above a 70 degree angle.
>>
>>35046271
We should be making less Tow and more Javelins.
>>
>>35046294
TOWs are a lot cheaper than a Javelin, and more versatile too.
>>
>>35046208
Does slat armor count?
>>
>>35046309
Much more cheaper? Because the Javelin seems lighter, and if you basically have a guaranteed 1 shoot kill against anything also way more powerful.
Also I wonder how the future of armor warfare will be with the increasingly flood of spike ATGMs.

>>35046318
Good observation, I wonder if these system employ contact fuse or a proximity one.
>>
>>35046332
Wiki say it is an impact (contact) fuze missile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FGM-148_Javelin
>>
>>35046088
Yep, one protected by a decently functioning army that provides security
>>
File: 1-20.gif (12KB, 490x300px) Image search: [Google]
1-20.gif
12KB, 490x300px
>>35046379
Interesting, the missile does have a big rounded nose, I wonder how it acts against slat.
>>
>>35046405
>Fire and Forget
>>
>>35046088
What type of Top attack? There's 2 different trajectories of top attack ATGMs.

The Arena APS of Russia is actually capable of stopping Overfly Top Attack ATGMs like the BILL 2.

Afghanit APS is rated against plunging top attack ATGMs and PGMs.
>>
>>35046512
tandem warhead can defeat ERA and most modern missiles can defeat slat armor.

I know the newest TOWs have a standoff blast tandem warhead to defeat APS or at least minimize APS effectiveness. US has been working to ensure TOW designs are updated.
>>
>>35046590
Is there any evidence of Afghanit killing plunging top attack ATGMs or is it just purported?
>>
>>35046271
"Quick Kill" supposedly has full hemispherical coverage.
>>
>>35046750
Afghanit can only used gimped soft-kill against top attack.
>>
>>35046088
T14 with superior top protecting APS
>>
>>35046088
I doubt it, but merkava IV has the best chance I think. It has a reinforced roof and a good aps, though I don't know if it can shoot down a top attack. Don't see why it wouldn't be able to though.
>>
>>35046255
Supposedly the Trophy.
>>
>>35046239
>derr this weapon will always be effective forever
>>
>>35046255
Afghanit
>>
Does any of you primadonas actually understand how fire and forget, top-attack weapons acquire and more importantly, guide themselves to hitting the target?

There's your countermeasure opportunity.

APS would be another.

Javelin is waaaaaaaay overhyped, and only a few tanks in the world can reliably take modern ATGMs in the front and keep their crew alive.

I would be extremely interested in observing Javelin performance in climate, vegetation and terrain of central Europe.
>>
>>35046255
Most advanced system seems to be later versions of ADS. Sensors and plates can be mounted in any orientation, and since each can direct the blast it's possible for them to overlap against multiple attacks towards the same spot.
>>
File: Afghanit.jpg (128KB, 700x583px) Image search: [Google]
Afghanit.jpg
128KB, 700x583px
>>35046750
It's one of the Afghanit's goals or Russians are developing the Afghanit with Top Attack in mind. As of now there's no videos of anything about the APS.

All we have are doodles.
>>
how long until missiles are equipped with their own APS to defeat countermeasures

how long until missiles are armored to defeat Trophy-style countermeasures

how deep down this rabbit hole can we go
>>
>>35047962
By that time nobody will be on the ground fighting. A soldier on the ground with anything, will be the same as a man on a horse with a wooden lance landing on Normandy
>>
>>35047962
>he doesn't know TOW and Spike II already carry counter-APS jammers
>>
>>35047978
awesome
>>
>>35047970
>By that time nobody will be on the ground fighting.
Then what the fuck is the point?
>>
>>35046590
>Afghanit APS is rated against plunging top attack ATGMs and PGMs.

Shallow dive missiles like Spike perhaps, Javelin comes in at too steep an angle.
>>
>>35047990
hopefully, to funnel tax money into massive defense corporations at the expense of third worlders whose countries serve only as arenas for trillion dollar proxy wars fought by the machine armies of major world powers in the cyberpunk dystopia of early 22nd century
>>
>>35048057
No countries will be third world in several decades if they start liberalizing their economies and drop their tyrannical dictatorships in favor of democratic governance. This is slowly happening around the world, unfortunately not as quickly as it should happen to the detriment of millions of people, and war is on a steady decline and has been for many decades.

We will not see a war like WWII ever again as long as the existence and flourishing of capitalism in more countries continues to increase productivity and increase the wealth of the common man.
>>
This is why the mecha will win out over the tank in the end, because the mecha's bird's eye profile is a lot smaller and harder to hit.
>>
>>35048184
You'll just get Leg Attack Missiles.
>>
>>35047157
Unless the reinforced roof is rated at +600 RHA I don't she why it would.
>>
>>35047288
Do you?
We are taking about passive homing, which means the only way to detect it would close range Doppler radar. That basically restricts your countermeasure window to only APS, the missile is already on you by when the tank has time to react.
>>
>>35048372
Just kick the missiles back.
>>
>>35046088

Leclerc can't be killed by top attack because of its special titanium armor.
>>
>>35047930
Damn.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.