[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Swords

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 10

File: cf409-01.jpg (22KB, 490x330px) Image search: [Google]
cf409-01.jpg
22KB, 490x330px
Hey k, I'm in the market for a full tang high quality two handed templar sword.
Just hoping for some suggestions for good vendors and any sword buying advice.

Ibe always wanted to own swords and now that I'm an adult and have money I damn well will own one. Yes, I already own guns, pls don't be mean to those of us who enjoy other weapons.
>>
Check out Kult of athena for lots of choices from different manufacturers.
Albion has great quality swords but they aren't cheap.
>>
>>35043402
I was just looking there, are there battle ready swords really battle ready? I'm looking at this
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SH2473&name=The+Sword+of+Saint+Maurice+

Looks almost exactly what I'm looking for but I don't want to take it out for some fun only to have it snap
>>
Same sword. Amazon is cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Knights-Templar-Long-Sword-Plaque/dp/B0019GXT3E

http://www.budk.com/Knights-Templar-Long-Sword-Wall-Plaque-15061
>>
>>35043213
Check sabersmith, i just bought a gladius from them, still waiting for it to come in though, stoked!
>>
>>35043402
>Check out Kult of athena for lots of choices from different manufacturers.Albion has great quality swords but they aren't cheap.

literally the warehouse for fake and gay
>>
>>35043213
>two handed templar sword.

So, pretty much a type of sword that wasnt used until after the dissolution of the Templar Order in 1312?

So, kind of like asking for Crusader's plate harness, or a Colonial Williamsburg colt Navy revolver, or a Minuteman's Abrams MBT?
>>
File: 502356_l.jpg (301KB, 907x1772px) Image search: [Google]
502356_l.jpg
301KB, 907x1772px
>>35043213
what do you all think of the windlass accolade? i know its not period templar accurate, but i think its pretty
>>
>>35043473
Battle ready means that the sword is typically made of carbon steel and won't break after a few hits.

If you have the money for it, order an Albion. They offer payment plans too.

>>35044382
Don't listen to this retard.
>>
>>35045210
Windlass is decent for the price.

That's about it.
>>
File: otm23va&b.gif (397KB, 783x464px) Image search: [Google]
otm23va&b.gif
397KB, 783x464px
Trying to find a "Templar" sword specifically might not be the best idea, since the templars didn't use any special weaponry, they equipped themselves like anyone else at the time. A maker might call a sword suitable here a templar sword of course since the word attracts people, but many suitable swords will be called other things.

With the Knights Templar by and large being around in the 12th and 13th centuries, the twohander we have available is the "greats word of war", ie Oakeshott XIIa an XIIIa types, maybe some type XIII would fit as well. These won't be the huge twohanders of the renaissance, but they will at the very least have a grip meant to fit both hands.

Albion and Arms and Armor both have good looking examples of this type oin their lineup. All sitting somewhat above a thousand USD. If you just want a really cheap one that's still not a wallhanger and can live with an obviously modern design and construction (not hiding the modern manufacturing methods to keep the cost down, etc) then the Hanwei Tinker (check Kult of Athena) Greta Sword of War is probably a decent idea. As per the bits of quality control above, do look the sword over when you get it to make sure every thing's nice and solid when you get it. Pommel peen is probably the most important thing on a sword like that. At slightly more money and a bit nicer looking we have Valiant Armoury's Austrian War Sword. There's also a number of East European makers that could probably make a decent sword at a competitive cost if you're willing to do some research to figure out who.
>>
File: XIIa.jpg (14KB, 472x127px) Image search: [Google]
XIIa.jpg
14KB, 472x127px
>>35043473
"Battle ready" is often one of the more abused buzzwords, but Kult of Athena seems like they tend to be honest about its use. Hanwei is also a maker that will, unless otherwise stated, aim to make something you can swing and cut with rather than a wallhanger. So they generally shouldn't snap off unless abused. At the same time, we're looking at some rather cheap swords here, and quality control costs money, so there's always the risk of getting a lemon.

On the other hand, that sword would appear to fall foul of the "twohanded" part of "full tang high quality two handed templar sword", on account of being a single hander.

>>35045210
That looks more like something out of a Narnia movie than the high middle ages to my eyes. Windlass are also at the extreme cheap end for anything that isn't wallhangers, so I wouldn't expect a terrible lot from them.
>>
>>35044382
Retard
>>
>>35045210

Windlass is ok. I own a rapier from them. Could kill someone very easily with it. But the sword would probably bend because of shit heat treatment while doing so. Screw on pommel could be lame depending on the sword. Not a big deal on my rapier however. Looks nice but there are probably way better places to shop around for swords from in the 200-400$ range.
>>
>>35045210
Between the Accolade and Maurice.
I'd recommend getting the Maurice.
While the blade shape of the Windlass will make the effect a little less noticeable it does not has noticeable distal taper (blade getting thinner).
So if you want to have a sword that actually feels somewhat like an original the hanwei is the much better option as is seems to have a fairly decent blade geometry.
>>
File: 20170901_182900_resized.jpg (2MB, 3096x1742px) Image search: [Google]
20170901_182900_resized.jpg
2MB, 3096x1742px
I trust CSS Silesia (historicalmarket.com) - most Polish teams use it, and while something like BOTN may be cringeworthy, it's also a good test of durability, and the guys over there have plenty of experience making swords.

Here's a couple of mine - also have a longsword from them, and a viking type L on order (because of reenactors, their standard models have the infamous 12.5cm grips, but you can order a normal 8-9cm gip at no extra cost).
>>
>>35047413
>>35047427
How often were two handed swords used in that era? I can't really fathom why someone would use that over a dane axe or spear.
>>
>>35048312

They were starting to become popular, but were not nearly as large as true twohanders of the 15th to 16th centuries, only beginning to approach longsword size.

You could wear them on your belt, draw it if you lost your lance, and swing them one-handed a little more clumsily, and two hands would give some extra power against a mail-clad opponent.
>>
File: medieval-shields-gothic-art.jpg (40KB, 347x400px) Image search: [Google]
medieval-shields-gothic-art.jpg
40KB, 347x400px
>>35048312
As far as I can tell single handers would have been the norm. As for these "greats words of war" they would often not be true twohanders, but rather in the hand-and-half range, much like longswords, and the blades can often be of similar size to those of single handed arming swords. So you can grab it in one and use it like a large cavalry sword, or you can grab it in both hands (leaving your shield to the neck strap) when someone really needed a good whacking, possibly correlating to you running around on foot at the time.

Why you'd use these, well, you may feel more at home and be better with a sword than either of the other weapons. The sword may also be brought along as a backup or close-range alternative to whatever else you have (a lance most likely). Being able to carry it in a scabbard at your waist is an advantage the spear and dane axe will have trouble matching.
>>
>>35048065
according to the description, the accolade is peened, not screwed
>>
Anyone know about Valiant Armoury? Are they of decent quality?
>>
>>35044410
or a Nazi AK47?
>>
>>35046530
buy muh fake and gay shit
>>
TrueSwords

lol jk it's just as bad as kult of athena
it's child toys
lol
>>
What company makes really high quality battle ready medieval-style daggers? Albion looks great for swords but they don't have daggers.
>>
>>35048686
Bought some a long time ago, so don't know if it's still the same.
Balance was really nice, they basically make budget versions of Angus Trim / Christian Fletcher swords.
Quality control was a bit spotty ... (grip not in line with the bade, imperfections on the scabbard ...) But likely not an issue any more (especially if you're in the US and able to have it fixed without shipping over the pond.)

I'd put them somewhere in between Hanwei and Albion.
>>
Albion is a cheater, they use modern machinery
Arms&Armor uses hammer and anvil
Arms&Armor best arms and armor
>>
>>35048939
I'm partial to Lutel-Handicrafts

They made one for me that I enjoy quite a bit.
>>
File: 1499528464073.jpg (10KB, 261x193px) Image search: [Google]
1499528464073.jpg
10KB, 261x193px
>>35049091
>Modernfags are cheaters, they use new technology
>Crow Magnum man uses rock and stick
>Crow Magnum best arms and armor
>>
>>35049091
Bought an Arms-Armor rondel dagger last year and an axe of theirs this year at Hearstmonceux Festival. The Rondel is much more ornate (and cost more) but the axe is about the best god damn skull-splitter I've ever handled.
>>
File: Rainbow sword.jpg (175KB, 600x1036px) Image search: [Google]
Rainbow sword.jpg
175KB, 600x1036px
>>35048387
This question might be a little too specific for you to want to bother with it and if so I'll understand but what might you know about point of balance, specifically on what might be considered shortswords (~20"blade) geared towards cutting?
>>
>>35051226
A cutlass or hanger is the first thing that comes to mind, but they're usually around 22-24 inches. A gladius would be a good choice too. They can cut and thrust very well.
>>
>>35044410
This OP. The Templars were disbanded before steel was made lighter so no two-handers. However, the other crusade orders were
>>
>>35043213
>Templar
>Two handed

Two handed swords largely didn't exist in the time when Templar where not a thing Templars where killed of in early 1300s where as the Long sword came into popular use in the 1350s. The time in which they were most active long swords had largely not been invented If you mean a long sword with a Templar "Aesthetic" then check around Kult of Athena. Stay away from Deepeeka Swords and Cold Steel.
>>
File: DSCN3516.jpg (240KB, 946x704px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3516.jpg
240KB, 946x704px
>>35051226
Well, in one way that's very specific, in another way it's ridiculously broad, since "shortsword" covers quite a lot. To make a short story, well, short though that's not really data I have at hand. I would suggest looking into things like rotational nodes as well though, as those can be at least as important as the centre of mass for how a sword handles. If you want to get a good chopping impact out of a short blade though, a relatively forward (whatever that means) centre of mass would seem suitable. My fascine knife has its centre of mass at the waist for whatever that's worth.

http://www.peterjohnsson.com/the-making-of-a-long-sword/

>>35051281
>before steel was made lighter so no two-handers

Technically true I guess, since changing the density of metals to a significant degree is something we have as of yet no clue how to do , it'd probably demand messing around with some fundamental constants of nature, or miniature gravitational impellers.
>>
>>35051400
Your link has something almost exactly like what I'm looking for and now I think I can take myself in the right direction, thank you.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.