[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bad Ammo?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: rps20170901_194926.jpg (79KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
rps20170901_194926.jpg
79KB, 1280x720px
So I recently bought two boxes of 185 grain Hornady American Gunner .45 acp. Upon closer inspection of the bullets when loading them, I noticed a select few seemed to have the bullet pushed farther into the casing than others. Pic related is a example I took. Is this a problem? I've never seen this before, so I wanted to check to see if it was.
>>
File: rps20170901_200139.jpg (85KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
rps20170901_200139.jpg
85KB, 1280x720px
>>35043161
Here is a picture of all the rounds I had loaded in my magazines for more reference.
>>
>>35043161
Bullet setback is very bad and can cause your gun to blow up.
If you're getting this many set back bullets, either you're doing something horribly wrong or your ammo is from a bad lot.
Do not shoot any rounds with noticeably set back bullets. Better yet, didn't shoot anything from this lot. Contact the manufacturer and bitch at them for replacement.
>>
>>35043243
I looked it up, and I've seen that it can be caused by repeatedly chambering a round. I have chambered a couple rounds a couple of times, but not enough that I'd think would cause this. Could I have done it myself, or is it really just bad ammo?
>>
>>35043274
It "can" cause it, but I wouldn't worry about it unless you're doing it daily on the same round.
We're all the rounds normal when you bought them, or did they become this way from being loaded or carried?
Did the setback rounds misfeed and ram the nose of the bullet into the chamber wall or whatever, causing them to set back?
On any of the normal rounds, can you push the bullet in or pull it out by hand?
Did you go jumping up and down ontop of the boxes?
>>
>>35043320
1.I'm not sure if they were all normal. I think so, becauseI checked the rest of the second box and they seemed ok.
2. They did not misfeed at any time
3. If I set the bullet on the table nose down and apply pressure, I can push the bullet in. I can also do this by squeezing it between my thumbs
4. No, I didn't jump on the boxes.
I tried chambering a single "good" round about 5 times just now, and it ended up looking just like the bullet in the original picture.
>>
>>35043320
Also, I haven't really carried them. I bought them Wednesday
>>
>>35043161
Every shooter should have one of these:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/128288/lyman-dial-caliper-6-stainless-steel

Some ammo is more susceptible to setback and some guns are more apt to cause setback when chambering. Measure a few rounds out of each lot of ammo. If you CCW and frequently empty and chamber a round use your calipers to keep an eye on it until you see how your particular gun/ammo combo behaves over time.
>>
File: 20170901_203022.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170901_203022.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Jesus Christ
>>
>>35043474
I'm thinking failure of the crimp at the factory. Contact the mfg and send that shit back.
>>
>>>35043369
Bad ammo. Don't use it. Keep the box, receipt, etc and contact Hornady with pictures. They'll probably bend over backwards to make it right. Letting ammo like this out is dangerous.
>>
>>35043505
That was after chambering one round a few more times
>>
Those are medical bullets. Like how people pour gunpowder on gunshot wounds to surprise them? That's what those are for. A simple mistake but they're totally fine to shoot I assure you
>>
>>35043521
Yeah a properly crimped round shouldn't get setback that far with a few chamberings anon. If your gun does this with every kind of ammo you try then I'd take a closer look at the feeding. Maybe out of spec mag followers serving rounds in some odd way.
>>
I bet it's your gun.
>>
>>35043584
It may be, but I've never seen this happen on any of the fmj ammo I've used. Only the American gunner.
>>
>>35043599
FYI, American Gunner is just the most popular grain regular Hornady Custom brown box ammo at a certain caliber repackaged and sold at a cheaper price.

Dont think that its "cheap" ammo just because its price is competitive.
>>
>>35043651
I didn't think it was cheap ammo, really. I know Hornady has a good reputation, and I've heard the American Gunner is good ammo. I checked, and both boxes come from the same lot, so I'm thinking it's just a bad batch
>>
>>35043682
contact them, because if its actually a bad batch they can recall it
>>
>>35043584
>ammo is so defective, the bullet can be pushed in by hand
>must be your gun
U wot

>>35043682
Hornady is good, and I've been bad lots of Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST. It happens, this is why you still have to give your ammo a once over yourself when you get it.
Hornady stands by their shit, so expect them to replace it. They'll probably give you freebies too.
>>
>>35043720
>>35043716
>>35043651
>>35043552
>>35043515
>>35043505
>>35043243
>>35043320
>>35043468
Sorry for the mass reply, I know that shit shit is annoying, but thanks for the advice. I'm glad I caught this before I tried to shoot any of it
>>
Hey guys so I'm a tremendous faggot and this is a bait thread. Sorry for trolling.
>>
>>35043868
Can confirm. Those bullets look like that because I shoved them too far up my ass
>>
File: IMG_0446.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0446.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>35043161
Manlets about to get triggered
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.