[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ammunition 'sizes' for game, wtf do I call them

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 25

File: bugout_guns.png (544KB, 641x574px) Image search: [Google]
bugout_guns.png
544KB, 641x574px
What up /k/unts, /v/idya game dev here and I need some help. I'm working on a game that's gonna have three different 'classes' of 'standard cartridge' (brass w/ bullet.) They're basically gonna be small, medium, and large. Weapons in the same class can share ammunition, and to a certain extent magazines (with some exceptions.) The game is survival/bugout/scavenging-themed, so the idea is to have a nice compromise between "every gun has unique ammunition" (which fucking sucks in survival games) and "you just pick up an ammo box and it fills up the gun you're holding" (which feels too arcade.) I'm making this game because I feel like most survival games try to do too much 'simulation' while most other FPS's do too little. So, trying to find that sweet spot in the middle.

Here are the rough classifications for cartridges:

SMALL = handguns, submachine guns, very light rifles (like .22's), etc. Think 9mm, .45acp, etc.
MEDIUM = assault rifles like AKs and ARs, light hunting rifles, maybe a big-ass revolver. Think .223, 5.56, etc.
LARGE = hunting and battle rifles, crew-served heavy machine guns. Basically covers 7.62 to .50 BMG.

The question is: What do you I call these ammunition types? How do I present them to the player? I want terms that you don't necessarily need to be a firearms enthusiast to 'get,' but I definitely don't want something as brainless as "small, medium, large." I was thinking the small ammo could be "Pistol Cartridges," and large ammo could be "Rifle Cartridges," but then what do we call the medium ones? I was thinking 'Carbine Cartridges' but that isn't really correct on any level. We could also call the medium ones "Rifle Cartridges" and call the large ones something else, but I don't know what that would be.

Thoughts?

(Btw also going to have shotguns, so 'shotgun shells' will be a fourth ammo type, along with crossbow bolts and other 'unique' ammunition. But naming said 'standard firearm cartridges' is the difficult thing right now.)

Thanks!
>>
Pistol, Intermediate, Rifle?
>>
>>35040534
If .22 is SMALL and .223 is MEDIUM, then .226 is LARGE
Not gonna ply this dumb ass game
>>
>>35040534
>What do you I call these ammunition types?
Pretty much what >>35040553 said. Although I might call the "rifle" ammo something slightly different to denote that it's for the larger rifles. Something like big game ammo, or "hunting rifle" rounds. IDK, I feel like someone else should think of something better than me.
Also, don't fuck up shotguns. A load of buckshot should be like a pattern of 9 "pistol" rounds in damage within 50 yards.
>>
File: bugout_rifle.png (433KB, 865x373px) Image search: [Google]
bugout_rifle.png
433KB, 865x373px
>>35040553
I was indeed considering 'Intermediate.' It seems like a wildly different connotation from 'pistol' and 'rifle,' but, maybe that is a simple enough thing we can 'teach' the player.

It just... doesn't sound as punchy/intuitive. Thanks for the suggestion though, that's definitely seeming like the best option right now.

>>35040555
Two things:
1. I have to draw the line between 'medium' and 'large' somewhere.
2. All the firearms I own are either shotguns, slug guns, or hunting rifles. I can't into 5.56 or .223 or whatever, so, SORRYMASEN.

>>35040576
"Big game ammo" seems kinda too heavily weighted towards hunting (which is definitely going to be a thing in this game), but I'd hesitate to put "hunting ammo" in my military crew-served machine gun. Suggestion noted though, thanks!

30-degree spread pattern shotguns in games makes me REEE as hard as the next guy. Don't worry--even though I'm taking some huge vidya liberties with the ammunition types, I'm gonna try to make guns behave more or less how you would expect IRL, including shotties.

I might put slugs in as an alternate ammo type for shotties as well.
>>
File: bulletcalibercomparison[1].jpg (971KB, 3795x1600px) Image search: [Google]
bulletcalibercomparison[1].jpg
971KB, 3795x1600px
>>35040643
Maybe make all "pistol" rounds 9x19mm or 9x18mm depending on setting(west or eastern block country), make all intermediates either 5.56x45mm or 7.62x39mm depending on your setting, and make all larger rounds 7.62x51mm or 7.62x54r mm depending on setting.
Scale damage accordingly to balance your game.
Then use pictures of ammo to scale with eachother so that it's obvious which is larger. It's not hard to create a few cartridge outlines.
>>
>>35040534
>small caliber - .22LR and typical pistol ammo
>intermediate caliber - 5.56, 7.62x39, etc
>full caliber - .30 Caliber and above
>>
>>35040534
joules. all those cartridges can be fired out of an ar.
>>
>>35040649
I definitely thought about normalizing all the weapon ammunition types, but I admit I am going to commit the cardinal sin of making the 'same ammo type' in different guns do different amounts of 'damage' in the interest of having a more varied selection of weaponry. A 'pistol' round in a magnum will do significantly higher damage than one in an SMG. I know that will make some people scream, but damages won't be WILDLY different. And again I'm not trying to make a firearms simulator, I'm trying to make a fun game that appeals to the bugout fantasy crowd (of which I am a member.)

In the game each ammo type will have its own boxes it comes in, and you'll see loose rounds flipping around in your inventory between boxes/magazines/weapons as you manage your ammunition.

>>35040659
Is "full caliber" a technical term? I've never heard that. Interesting. I actually hadn't thought of calling things "-caliber," which actually makes 'small-caliber' and 'high-caliber' more digestible for firearms enthusiasts (or just me at least), while more easily-digestible by the average person.

HMMM. Excellent suggestions, thank you!
>>
>>35040679
Lmfao. GAME. Not REAL LIFE. I've seen a pistol that fires .50 BMG too. The question of naming convention is one of intuitiveness, not... correctness.
>>
File: bugout_inventory.jpg (172KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
bugout_inventory.jpg
172KB, 1920x1200px
>>35040714
Meant to post with this pic, of prototype inventory.
>>
>>35040714
>Is "full caliber" a technical term?
Kind of. It sounds better than "large ammo" and "full sized rifle cartridge" is a real thing (typically means .30 cal and above).
>I've never heard that. Interesting. I actually hadn't thought of calling things "-caliber," which actually makes 'small-caliber' and 'high-caliber' more digestible for firearms enthusiasts (or just me at least), while more easily-digestible by the average person.
Exactly. It's technical without being jargon that the average joe wouldn't understand or appreciate.
>>
Another survival game? Fuck off, yours is going to suck ass and the fact you want to reduce part of the appeal of survival games down to some retard level weapon scheme is going to make it that much lamer.
>>
>>35040744
>"full sized rifle cartridge
*sorry, full power rifle cartridge. It typically means stuff used in battle rifles but fuck it that'll work for .50 BMG as well
>>
>>35040725
no you havent. that revolver is shopped.
>>
>>35040534
Maybe pistol, rifle and magnum rifle/hunting rifle ammo?
>>
>>35040643
Why do all the guns look stumpy in these pictures?
>>
>>35040789
Shitty stylized garbage.
>>
File: bugout_character.png (833KB, 644x820px) Image search: [Google]
bugout_character.png
833KB, 644x820px
>>35040744
Yeah, I actually really dig using 'caliber.' Probably gonna go with that. Thanks again!

>>35040749
I'm not some 14 year old who downloaded Unity, bought a bunch of shitty cheap ready-made assets and scripts, and dumped them into a project and put it on steam greenlight. I've been a professional game developer for 6 years. I've played countless survival games, hated most of them, and figured out what makes a good game and what makes a bad one.

I'LL SHOW YOU. I'LL SHOW YOU ALL.
>>
>>35040805
Plz no, that looks goofy as hell, or like a cell phone game
>>
File: 50handgun.jpg (21KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
50handgun.jpg
21KB, 500x332px
>>35040749
>>35040803
You negative nelly samefag, go away. You don't have to play it.

>>35040765
AK50, pic related.

>>35040758
Ah! Yeah that's way cooler. I actually like "High Power Rifle Cartridge" as a designation... hm. Thanks!

>>35040789
It's the a e s t h e t i c of the game. Pulling a lot of inspiration from the old Conker's Bad Fur Day actually.
>>
>>35040534
>pistol ammo
>shotgun ammo
>machinegun ammo
>rifle ammo
>magnum ammo (for revolver)

Lots of games have done it just like this in the past.
>>
>>35040805
Yo, hook me up with a tester key my guy
>>
File: bugout_weapons.png (1MB, 1328x827px) Image search: [Google]
bugout_weapons.png
1MB, 1328x827px
>>35040833
Yeah but I'm gonna have SMG's/PDWs that shoot 'pistol' ammo, bolt-action small game rifles that shoot 'machinegun' ammo... I dunno. I hesitate to use those terms, even though they're kinda ingrained in gamers' minds. I want to toe a weird line between being 'technically correct' but also reasonable for non-firearm-enthusiasts.

Thanks for the input.
>>
>>35040714
>>35040534
Pistol
Small Rifle
Large Rifle
>>
>>35040848
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'll make a new thread in here once the game's at a presentable state.
>>
>>35040861
That... actually isn't entirely unreasonable. Firearms can generally be classed as either 'pistols' or 'rifles,' with 'rifles' being the broader selection in this game. Will consider--thanks bud.
>>
>>35040885
Aight, remember my seldom used tripcode, I'll end up asking for a tester key or equivalent with my steam account url, and we can go from there.
>>
Just do what darkwood did and use small caliber, medium caliber, and large caliber ammunition if somebody didnt already say that in the thread
>>
File: armalite.jpg (12KB, 550x173px) Image search: [Google]
armalite.jpg
12KB, 550x173px
>>35040857
You should totally put an AR-18 in the game. I can think of literally no games that have it as a weapon
>>
File: topdown (1).jpg (478KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
topdown (1).jpg
478KB, 2048x1152px
>>35040972
Yeah that's definitely what I'm leaning towards, but maybe using "intermediate" instead of "medium" just to be a little cooler. 'Medium' just sounds dumb by default, haha.

>>35040991
I could certainly put it in. I currently have a sorta generic AR-15 in there, but all the guns are gonna be slightly different from real-world counterparts. What about the AR-18 makes it unique that you'd want to see in a game? It's definitely a good-looking gun...
>>
>>35040940
Sounds good! I'll probably be shelling out tester keys to /k/ and /v/ at some point. You guys are somewhat less autistic than /v/ (bless them) so you guys got dibs.
>>
I'm fine with chibi weapons and your models look detailed enough for what they're supposed to be.
How many weapons can you carry at one time? You could do it MGSV style and just name it after where it is on your body(hip,back, sidearm etc.)
>>
>>35040991
MGSV has a bastardized version
>>
>>35040534
Pistol, Intermediate, High-Power

high powered is a term that is neutral vis a vis hunting vs killing, but gets the point across.
>>
>>35040534
Pistol cartridge, intermediate cartridge, full power cartridge. Accurate and simple.
>>
>>35040805
If you're serious, this would be the place to find alpha testers. Well, to bounce ideas off of anyway.
>>
>>35040534
Pistol, Rifle, and Big Bore

If your player base can't assume using context clues your intended audience is too dumb to notice anyways so you could just put whatever and jack your prices 50%
>>
>>35041098
Thanks for the input. The game will be mostly top-down view. as seen here: >>35041030 so yeah the low poly count should be fine for gameplay. The 'chibiness' addresses:
- Make guns, which IRL are inherently long/thin objects, fit better in an inventory screen.
- Masks/works with the low poly count
- Harkens back to the 'source material,' Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Inventory system is actually volume-based... see here: >>35040737 You will always have a backpack, which has 'deep storage' (big tarp, general junk you carry around) and 'quick storage' for ammunition/snacks/medical supplies you want to access using hotkeys.

You can also carry a bag and a vest/chest rig, which can be loaded with supplies and swapped around between players/left at base. You could, for instance, have a 'hunting bag' with a scoped rifle, rifle ammunition, a few magazines, and some traps/beef jerky for the trip. You could have a separate 'assault' bag with a machine gun, lots of ammo, and some grenades. You could have both bags around in your hideout and just grab whichever you need for the chore you're going to run.

Backpack will have two 'weapon slots' for strapping long guns to the sides of the bag (accessible by hotkeys), and every bag/vest will have a hotkeyable weapon slot as well.
>>
>>35040830
This. I hate to be that guy BUT you are just asking people to play or pay what they already can on like... Modded Roblox...
>>
File: bugout_dood.jpg (86KB, 837x837px) Image search: [Google]
bugout_dood.jpg
86KB, 837x837px
>>35041132
>>35041134
Somewhere between these two is what I'm definitely going with. Thanks for all the help, guys! The /k/onsensus has been a great resources, haha.

>>35041141
Yep, I feel like the /k/ crowd who isn't completely anal about details is kinda my 'target' audience, so I'll definitely hit you guys up. I mean, just this thread has proven you guys are a good resource.

>>35041160
I do actually like "big bore," and it certainly is descriptive while being 'intention-agnostic.' It doesn't specifically suggest hunting or military application. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll roll it around with the other ones...
>>
>>35040805
>figured out what makes a good game and what makes a bad one.

Go on
>>
>>35041195
You... don't know ANYTHING about this game...?

Would you prefer it look 100% realistic? Because there are thousands of those games already out there, and they're either just shitty thrown-together pre-made asset shitpiles, or way too complicated (and also a shitpile.)

Fuck off for now, and come back when I dish out alpha tester codes. THEN you can tell me my game is shitty.
>>
>>35041166
>>35041209
Overall I like it. Maybe it's because I'm a STALKER CoM autist, but maybe consider putting a stricter limit on inventory. So the player has to make a decision as far as loadouts go
>>
>>35041209
the most i'm willing to pay for a game with that kind of graphics are $3 bucks while drunk, I really wonder what kind of audience it's supposed to appeal to
>>
>>35041223
TL;DR to make a shitty game:
> Go into developing a game thinking "I'm gonna combine all my favorite elements from all my favorite games into one!"

TL;DR, to make a good game:
> Pick 1 idea
> Pick 2-3 core 'elements'
> Make ALL gameplay and development decisions serve the idea, followed by the elements.
>>
>>35041257
What constitutes an "idea" in this context?
>>
>>35041235
Thanks very much. I haven't balanced the inventory volumes, but you're definitely going to be restricted. Furthermore, every single item you decide to carry will slightly reduce your movement speed/increase your stamina burn rate while running. So, you can certainly choose to carry an entire backpack full of ammunition... but your guy's gonna be out of breath very quickly if you try to get anywhere fast.

I wanna push the idea of stashing stuff in your hidey hole organized by mission-specific 'go-bags'. Going hunting? Grab the scoped slug gun 'n jerky bag. Gonna raid a base? Leave the snacks, but grab the vest fulla mags with the AK strapped to it.

If your hidey-hole is about to get shelled by artillery, you could certainly grab everything and bail, but you're not going to want to go long-distance carrying everything.

>>35041243
I'll take that as a challenge, thank you.
>>
File: stilker.jpg (168KB, 765x788px) Image search: [Google]
stilker.jpg
168KB, 765x788px
>>35041291
BUG-OUT & BLOWOUT
>>
>>35041288
'Context' as in, in the discussion of video games as a whole? The 'core' of the game. The thing you are playing the game to experience. I play Wolfenstein if I wanna kill nazis. I play Forza if I wanna race cars. I play Dishonored if I wanna be a sneaky bastard.

I play THIS game (discussing in this thread) if I wanna experience the grab-sks-go-innawoods scenario. All my elements will support that. No stupid fucking cube-based building, no crafting, no zombies (probably). Just hunting, defending against/attacking other people/aggressive wildlife. Might work in some story elements but it'll all serve the 'idea.' I could go in-depth with some of the plans but I'll save it for a new thread.
>>
>>35041291
Play Wasteland 2 OP, it may have some things you like.
>>
>>35041347
Oh yeah, no stupid fucking PLANTING CROPS FOR FOOD. I mean good fucking lord, are you shitting me, survival games? It's the lamest fucking game element and it's always put on top of the cube-based building and crafting and REEEEEE I hate game developers sometimes.

Sorry. I just really fucking hate survival games. That's why I'm making a survival game... so I can have a survival game that I don't hate.
>>
File: 1485048409182.jpg (50KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1485048409182.jpg
50KB, 540x540px
Shitty game incoming. Looks boring and derivative. Graphics are poorly implemented and scaled. (I'm also a game dev and I was making better meshes in unity on day fucking one, PROTIP vertex count does not have a massive effect on performance if you're smart about what you're drawing and when.)
>>
>>35041348
Will check it out--thanks boss. Definitely looks like good research material.
>>
>>35041381
Cool, what games have you made?

Also
>condemning game strictly by pre-pre-pre-alpha screengrabs and no gameplay
>>
File: 1490140855023.png (425KB, 1000x1102px) Image search: [Google]
1490140855023.png
425KB, 1000x1102px
>>35041392
Collaborated on a number of successful indie titles. Not going to name names because muh anonymity.
Right now I'm writing a fully procedural RTS because RTS mechanics and design have kind of frozen since 2000 and there's a lot of fresh things iteration can bring to the table. (Ex look at starcraft 2, the most innovative thing they did was add fucking MOBA style abilities, how shit.)

I'm condemning your game largely because its "wander around and kill stuff" aka all "survival" games. Also dat vertex count.
>>
>>35041381
And I don't need to justify myself to you because you sound like an asshole, but just for the record, the only assets I've actually lovingly hand-modified to 'in-game scale' are the three in the OP. The lineup from >>35040857 are super rough-ups. None of those are actually functional yet.

And all these screen grabs are a week or so old. I'm at work right now and haven't taken new shots.

Wait for the tester keys thread, THEN judge my game. It's not a game yet.
>>
>>35040534

>>35040534
Hey game dev guy do you need any help cause I have enough spare time atm to model assets etc.. animals plants weapons buildings? I'd love to have something goal oriented to work on for a while.

I can provide examples of past work if needed
>>35040534
>>
>>35041430
I didn't get into the details because this isn't a development thread, it's a thread about "what do I call the boolits," but for your information, it's gonna be a roguelike with procedurally placed objectives/landmarks that are linked together in various ways to create a story arc.

I'd say your RTS sounds lame but I don't know anything about it, so I won't. Take a hint.

For real though I wish you luck and hope your game turns out cool. I love RTS's and have been wishing for more variety/new ideas in the genre.
>>
>>35041430
>because its "wander around and kill stuff"
Where did OP explain anything about the gameplay? All of his posts have been related to inventory or guns
>>
File: 400px-Sterling_AR-18_Folded.jpg (18KB, 400x163px) Image search: [Google]
400px-Sterling_AR-18_Folded.jpg
18KB, 400x163px
>>35041030
>What about the AR-18 makes it unique that you'd want to see in a game? It's definitely a good-looking gun...
Instead of being a direct impingement gun like an AR-15, it's a gas piston gun. Also the charging handle is more like an AK/FAL type charging handle than the AR-15. It's also lever shaped so you could have the player character spin it around before charging it as the "Different from real world" aspect, as the charging handle doesn't spin in real life
>>
File: 1485342423892.gif (2MB, 380x214px) Image search: [Google]
1485342423892.gif
2MB, 380x214px
>>35041454
Yeah, I'm kind of a dick, sorry bro. It might be strategically fun to make the ammo sources interconvertable, but with tool requirements and resource costs, like it takes 1 small bullet plus some materials plus a basic bullet bench plus time to make a medium bullet.
>>
Is there going to be a stealth element? or vehicles?

>battlebus
>>
>>35040534
Light, intermediate, and heavy calibers.
>>
>>35041568
>We'll Be Right Back

It's all good. I thought about that but that would require a crafting system, which requires carrying raw materials, and tools, and all that shit. I want this to be more or less a strictly 'scavenging' game. Don't have ammo? Go kill some fuckers and steal theirs. That's way more fun than hitting cars with a wrench until get enough scrap metal to magically generate 9mm parabellum. (Looking at you, Seven Days to Die).

I want the elements of the game to make intuitive sense as much as possible. It's intuitive to me that if I don't have the right ammo for my gun, I need to go find more. It's not intuitive that I can take a boolit and turn it into a different boolit.

>>35041590
Definitely stealth elements, like sniping/suppressors/line-of-sight/maybe camouflage. Stealth takedowns with melee weapons. All that good stuff. Maybe even some splinter-cell style hostage-taking stuff. I don't want to get TOO far into it, because I want to keep the scope of the game focused.

I'm going back and forth on vehicles... again, narrow scope. Battlebus would be sweet, but that means I need to make the map bigger, and as soon as you get in a vehicle your "power" as a player scales up massively. I don't think I want to give the player that much power... it would detract from the struggle-to-survive aspect.

Some janky gas-guzzling gokart might be cool though. I was also thinking I could concede the player a little speedboat which could let you use waterways to get around quickly, but it would be limited, obviously, by where the waterways were.
>>
>>35041447
Thanks for the offer! I'd be happy to check out your work--I've hired and paid artists for stuff before. So far I've been doing okay with just heavily modifying assets from the Unity asset store, but if I need something custom I could hit you up.

Uhhhh hit me up on Discord? SergeantBiscuits#2648
>>
>>35041486
I can imagine a really cool flourish for working that charging action. You know, I'll look into it--that's a neat weapon. Just unique enough, haha. Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>>35040534
Go away with your shit generic zombie survival kusoge, you're not fooling anyone except noguns idiots. 3 ammotypes is 3 ammotypes and it's just as brainless garbage no matter if you call them "pistol intermediate rifle" or "small medium large".
>>
>>35041712
>GO AWay WIth YoUR SHit gENeRIc ZoMbIE sUrVival kuSogE, yOU'RE not FoOLINg ANyONe EXcEpT NoGUNS idIOTs. 3 AMMOtypeS Is 3 AmMOTYpes aNd IT's jUst As BRaInlEss gaRbAge No matTeR iF you CaLL thEM "PisTOl INterMedIaTe riFlE" OR "SMaLL MEdIUM LaRgE".
>>
>>35040553
Plenty true, and plenty simple.
fpbp

Caliber is a term you should probably avoid. In pop culture it sounds like a general level of power for something, but what it truly means is an approximate diameter of the bullet, which isn't necessarily related to how powerful a cartridge is. Especially when you're looking at both rifles and pistols, since pistols tend to shoot big fat bullets, but they suck anyways because the bullets are slow.

.45 > .30 > .27 in inches of diameter, the caliber,
but the energy of particular cartridges could be different, even the opposite
.270 Win > .300 Blackout > .45ACP
>>
>>35041756
I definitely agree, and yeah, good analysis on 'caliber'. You make a strong case against it. I'm only slightly hesitant to use "intermediate" because:
>"pistol" is a type of firearm
>"rifle" is a type of firearm
>"intermediate" ...kind of is? kind of?

I was hoping there was a better word that is as readily-grockable as 'pistol' and 'rifle' that still is relatively weapon/action-agnostic, but the /k/onsensus seems to prove that "intermediate" is probably the best choice.

Appreciate the input, thanks.
>>
>>35041790
The issue I'm trying to avoid is, "I have this 9mm luger that I've been carrying around for 6 hours, and I've found a box of .223, one round of 7.62, some 5.56, two .50 BMGs, a handful of .45acp, a Remington m700 magazine, four banana mags, some .22 long rifle, some .22 snakeshot, some .22 shorts, on and on and on and on... but I don't have any 9mm parabellum.

That's just piss-poor gameplay, in my opinion. Realistic? Sure. But all that ammo that doesn't fit my gun is just detritus that obfuscates the game.

The main hook of the game is survival/using your wits/gunfighting, not "weapons simulation."

Thanks.
>>
>>35041823
Why not... maybe "pistol" "heavy pistol" "smg" "carbine"(for ak and ar etc...) "rifle"
>>
>>35041911
So instead of ammo type just define your guns into categories then each category uses the same ammo ? Like cod for example

>inb4 cod is garbage don't do what they do

Even though their method works perfectly in terms of playable function.
>>
>>35040534
What's wrong with pistol intermediate and full power.
>>
>pistol ammo
>shotgun ammo
>AR ammo
>rifle ammo
That's what I was personally planning for my arcade-y shooter game.

RE4 did something similar.
>>
>>35041911
>>35041929
I wanna be a tiny bit more realistic than COD, having you 'manage' your ammunition instead of just having a pool that you pull from, with infinite mags. I want to have the 'spirit' of different ammo types, and the 'spirit' of weapons that have similar function but are chambered in different cartridges (e.g. I am planning to have a bolt-action rifle chambered in all three ammunition types).

>>35042036
Nothing? That's more or less the /k/onsensus right now, and what I'm leaning towards. I'm only hesitant on "full power" because it suggests the other rounds are "less-than-full power." I mean, a pistol round will be 'full power' for that round. A "full-power" rifle shell isn't 'full-power' compared to a cannon shell. I'm leaning towards Pistol, Intermediate, and High-Power.

>>35042042
This is basically exactly my system, I've just been looking for a better term than "Assault Rifle" ammo, because I'll have bolt-action rifles and maybe bigass revolvers that use that same ammo type. Again, that's why I'm leaning towards "Intermediate". Thanks for the input!
>>
>>35040714
Just make the ammo crates look like they have a mixed variety of rounds in them. Like ammo crates with "pistol cartdiges" could have 9mm and .357 and .45 outlines on the side in order to explain why it provides the player ammo for a revolver and an SMG.
>>
>>35042382
Not the kind of game where you get 'crates full of ammo.' You actually have to manage individual magazines. Your inventory will consist of boxes of cartridges, magazines, and firearms. You actually put rounds from the boxes into the magazines into the guns, so it's important that the cartridges go along nicely with the weapons.
>>
>>35042401
Important to note it's not you physically click and drag rounds from the box to the mag or anything... You just click a box, click a mag, it fills it up, then you click the mag, click the gun, mag goes in. Then if you set up your inventory correctly you can switch to fresh mags using a hotkey.
>>
File: 1498989822325.gif (2MB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1498989822325.gif
2MB, 800x800px
>>35040534
>Think .223, 5.56, etc.
what did he mean by this
>>
>>35042454
I don't own any ARs, forgive me.
>>
>>35040534
Class one ammo; Dont share ammo between pistols/smg's and rifles. Pistol rounds.

Class 2; you have the option of 5.56, 7.62x39 or 7.62 REAL FUCKIN' NATO. Give it some realism and only put in models that would shoot the chosen rounds. If you chose one of the former rounds, real fuckin NATO could be your big round. If you chose it as your mid, you could go with .50 or something around there as the large round.
>>
>>35042454
They are not truly interchangeable in all circumstances from what I understand
>>
>>35041381
Fuck off neet. At least OP applies themselves with work you massive turbofag.
>>
>>35042503
I already have almost-too-much realism with the realistic loose ammo/magazine handling already, so I'm hesitant to have more than a few ammo types. And there are plenty of SMGs that shoot "pistol rounds."

BUT, I also want to have a fairly wide spread of weapons you can use... so I unfortunately do need to find some compromise.

Since you're scavenging around, you're gonna be picking ammo off of randos and lots of different places, so I want the 'spirit' of having lots of very different weapons, but without the realism of incompatible cartridges with weapons that are otherwise fairly similar.
>>
>>35040857
MAS-49/56 might be interesting to have in.
>>
>>35042578
I understood what you meant. To clarify I meant do 1 pistol round(9 or 45), only to be put in pistols and smg's. Make them models that take that specific round.

1 small rifle round(either 5.56, 7.62x39, OR 308), again, only models that can take that specific round

1 large, (308 or larger) go with models that can take that specific round.
>>
File: da.jpg (2KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
da.jpg
2KB, 125x125px
game looks cool so far, digging the aesthetic, good ideas and for once a developer that actually sees fun as the primary concern, really hope i'm here for the alpha key thread

if i had one thing to suggest, having played a lot of survival games and being your typical wannabe grab sks and go innawoods kommando,
it'd be not to limit your inventory by size which gets frustrating as fuck and never makes sense,
( i.e 7 days to die where you can go on a looting trip to another town and are unable to continue looting because your inventory is filled up by small things like gun parts, forcing you to go back to base ),
and instead have a limitless inventory which is restricted by total carry weight, like conan exiles

>>35041648
>(Looking at you, Seven Days to Die)
i love that game to bits but holy fuck it's a buggy mess and can be pretty fucken tedious, probably good thing to distance yourself from

if you need anything done in Lua i'm happy to help, can provide past works if you'd like
>secretly wish i knew a more useful language than just Lua
>>
>>35042982
>and instead have a limitless inventory which is restricted by total carry weight, like conan exiles
STALKER does this too, and first gives you a Stamina-penalty when you're slightly over weight, and finally stops you on your tracks when you go totally overboard.
>>
File: guns_ammo.jpg (93KB, 967x703px) Image search: [Google]
guns_ammo.jpg
93KB, 967x703px
>>35042955
Yeah--I don't really want to be limited to guns that take the same round. I'm going to be mostly "making up" firearms for the game based on real-life counterparts (that way I can get away with inaccuracies, lol!) and also give me creative control over what the weapons are named and such. And having every weapon of a certain class 'just so happen' to use the same type of ammunition just feels kinda contrived, y'know?

>>35042982
Thanks man, means a lot! I'll make sure the alpha thread is well-advertised, without being annoying about it.

I hadn't considered having a 'limitless volume, limited weight' inventory, because of considerations like, "can I REALLY store 50,000 marshmallows in my backpack?" I also am intending on showing the actual items in hastily-dumped-out piles on the floor when you access you inventory screen, as shown here >>35040737, so having tons of (otherwise very light) items will because a huge mess on the screen. Limiting things by volume is kind of the only way to make this particular inventory system work.

I was also going to put a weight mechanic, such that filling your pack completely full of heavy shit will, in general, make you slow enough to be impractical. It's gonna take some balancing, and I could maybe remove the volume limit, but... we'll see.

The individual bag system is also something I want to make sure gets implemented and utilized well, such that bags/vests serve as very valuable 'extra storage space.'

And at the end of the day, the best solution to inventory size limits is to just not let/require the player to have a full inventory to be 'most effective.' Deciding NOT to fill your inventory, in fact carrying as little as possible, will be rewarding, because you will have more stamina and be able to sprint at a faster rate.

Inventory is definitely a tough problem to solve, and I think the best course right now is to just not give people a reason to carry around tons of garbage.
>>
>>35043480
(cont.)

I also guiltily enjoy Seven Days to Die, but only with friends, so we can rage together about the bugs. Definitely not an 'immersive' experience, haha.

Not currently looking at deploying anything using Lua (I'm coding this thing in C#), but if I end up needing Lua for whatever reason, I'll light the beacons here on /k/ for you.

Thanks again for the input!

>>35043032
Yeah, I was going to do a combined system, where backpack/bags/vests have a maximum volume, but your entire combined weight of items just kinda linearly reduces your stamina/sprint rate. If the volume system ends up being way annoying then I'll scrap it and do something else, but I'm pretty confident I can make it so players don't have the incentive to completely fill their packs up with stuff.
>>
>>35040643
pistol ammo
carbine ammo
rifle ammo
>tfw no shot guns? it would be a great 4th class with various types of ammo
>>
>>35043698
Definitely having shotguns! The ammo is easy to classify. Just "shotgun shells" compared to rifle cartridges. Also gonna have crossbows and shit.

I'm not completely convinced "carbine" is an accurate enough term. It kinda means different things depending on who you ask... I'll think about it though. Thanks!
>>
>>35043698
See image of
>>35043480
>>
>>35040534
Pistol
Carbine
Rifle
>>
File: carbines.jpg (81KB, 1040x619px) Image search: [Google]
carbines.jpg
81KB, 1040x619px
>>35043698
>>35043762
I really wasn't convinced on "carbine" at the start of this thread, but I did some research and I'm starting to like it, actually. It's a good short word comparable to "pistol" and "rifle" that does more or less fit the description.

I mean I know that a "carbine" is specifically defined as a shorter-barreled weapon, but... I mean, that's kind of how all my currently-planned weapons in that category are. (Pic related).

Anyone with any particular arguments against calling the intermediate ammo type "carbine ammo?" Again I concede that it's not perfect, but I think it really fulfills the objective of being a concise, somewhat-correct term that is easy to understand and stands apart from "pistol" and "rifle."

Even if normies don't go into the game knowing what "carbine" means, at least it's a unique enough word, and they will quickly learn to associate the kind of gun with the kind of ammo.
>>
File: 1500277035844k.png (106KB, 348x278px) Image search: [Google]
1500277035844k.png
106KB, 348x278px
>>35041230
>THEN you can tell me my game is shitty.
Nah I can just tell you now that it looks gay as fuck and nobody's going to play it
>>
>>35040534
You could try pistol/intermediate/full-power, or go with actual cartridges (9×19, 5.56×45, 7.62×51) or even make up your own ammo in appropriate dimensions. 7.77×51mm devilslayer or some such shit.
>>
File: mfw.jpg (116KB, 745x760px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
116KB, 745x760px
>>35043878
>not even the same guy
>mfw
>>
>>35040534
my best idea would be for

>pistol ammo(.22lr to .44 mag)

>intermediate rifle ammo(.223/5.56 to 7.62x39)

>full power rifle ammo(7.62x51/.308 to .50bmg)

though i realize this is a bit of a mouthful...
>>35040861 's idea might be a bit better

also regaurding >>35040714
the same cartridge does in fact do more """damage""" in different guns, but that's to do with barrel length allowing more pressure to build, thus more velocity which = more energy

for example .223/5.56 shot from a 10" barrel will impart similar damage to one shot from a 21" barrel at closer ranges BUT further out the 21"
will still carry super sonic velocity doing ideal damage whereas the bullet from the 10" will have dropped below the sonic barrier and thus deal much much less damage.

>>35040737
my only criticisms so far disregarding art style choice to to add a more noticeable "bottle" neck to rifle cartridges, the pic you showed just makes them look like a bigger .22lr;
also im noticing you storage count contnstantly exceeding 1000cc so perhaps tone it down to 1kcc instead?
>>
>>35041381
how can i be a game dev

should i learn coding or do i learn how a engine works??
>>
>>35040534
>>35040737
>game
>>35040805
>>35040857
>>35041030
>>35041209
>35041209
>>35040534
wats da game called?
>>
>>35044492
Not OP, but you'll need both.
>>
>>35040857
No m91 mosin.... no sks...
Be pretty neat to add a mosin and have an optional bayonet to stick things with when you run outta ammo
>>
File: foodwater.jpg (14KB, 187x188px) Image search: [Google]
foodwater.jpg
14KB, 187x188px
>>35044436
I hesitate to put four-word labels on the cartridges... I wanna keep shit concise. Appreciate the input though. I think I'm gonna go with Pistol Ammo, Carbine Ammo, and Rifle Ammo for now.

That's a good point about the same cartridge having more power when fired out of different weapons of different barrel lengths... That'll help me 'justify' weapons doing different damage with the 'same ammo.' Thanks!

Those cartridges are more or less placeholders for now. They're all just squashed/stretched Enfield cartridges. I'll be sure to replace 'em with something nicer.

Good point about the inventory volume! I'll change the units.

>>35044492
I use an engine called Unity 3D (www.Unity3D.com). Download it, install it (it's free for personal use), and then find some tutorials that are designed to teach you as a complete beginner (without coding experience.) That's how I learned, and it got me a job at a university within about a year. Good luck homie!

>>35044522
Working title is simply "Bugout"! Not sure if that'll stay... it's certainly punchy, not sure if it's trademarked or anything. I might have to get on that soon before I commit to heavily to it.

>>35044568
Weapon attachments will be a thing! I hadn't considered bayonets, but that's a sweet idea. Sprinting bayonet charges would be awesome, and work well in the top-down view I'm using. Thanks for the input!
>>
File: 1022testrender.png (27KB, 909x340px) Image search: [Google]
1022testrender.png
27KB, 909x340px
>>35044568
and no 10/22 yet but i fixed that for you im the guy asking about needing help earlier... just got home, i added you on discord and, not being sure what poly count you're aiming for whipped this up noticing you were missing a 10/22
>>
>>35040643
>slug guns
lol east coaster, that's still a shotgun
>>
>>35043945
the characters are kinda creepy desu, but i like everything else op
>>
>>35046199
My mossberg 930 has a rifled barrel for firing sabot slugs. I'd sooner call it a "slug gun" than a "shotgun."
>>
File: gimmekiss.jpg (64KB, 1249x615px) Image search: [Google]
gimmekiss.jpg
64KB, 1249x615px
>>35046244
Thanks, yeah I know, I need to do some work on them, particularly reducing the insane head size and making the face less... thousand-yard-stare.
Thread posts: 111
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.