[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Switching barrels on pistol

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_5111.jpg (285KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5111.jpg
285KB, 650x650px
Hypothetical here… Would changing the barrels on a pistol still allow a ballistics expert to identify a round fired from the same gun?
>>
>>35033307
ballistics is a meme used to trick juries.
It's akin to a witness seeing someone wearing nikes, and proclaiming that because you own a pair of nikes you must be guilty.
If your lawyer has a pulse, it doesn't matter.
>>
>>35033333

I mean sure, but in the ballistic sciences… I'm just curious
>>
>>35033340
So much as putting a few magazines through the gun is going to change the marking it leaves on a bullet. So, obviously changing the barrel is going to be a huge difference.
>>
>>35033340
No. They can't prove anything. Ballistics are nearly completely worthless for positive conclusions.
The best that could be said is that similar patterns/markings are present.
>>
>>35033307
Aren't replacement barrels test-fired including having some forensic data from the bullet recorded before they're sold? Or is that a meme?
>>
>>35033375
meme
>>
>>35033333
nice septs
>>
>>35033375
Every time you put a round through a barrel, the rifling characteristics change a little bit more. Even if manufacturers do keep records of such things they'd be obsolete after the first box of cartridges you shoot through. Ballistics matching can be useful if the gun in question hasn't been fired since the sample round, but it's really not an absolute science. At best, usually, ballistic forensics is used to give an approximation of the kind of gun used in a crime, where the shooter was standing, their height and distance from the target, etc. Bullet matching is the least useful thing they do.
>>
>>35033333
As a legal fag it's honestly this
>you wouldn't believe the unscientific shit we can use
>>
>>35033572
any other memes I should be on the lookout for other than ballistics and polygraphs?
>>
>>35033685
Fingerprinting, expert witnesses, and eyewitness testimony.
>>
>>35033685
Pleas as a threat
>lazy DA doesn't have good evidence
>"sign this and you will get off easy"
>convicted felon
If you didn't do it NEVER sign a confession
>>
>>35033307
Just be aware that if your firing pin has a fairly unique strike it could help point something to you.
One of my pistols likes to hit slightly off center and 'push' its way to the center where it looks like a normal strike.
>>
>>35033738
>eyewitness testimony
The most damning and retarded kind of evidence there is. Eyewitnesses have shit memory and will even change testimony between court dates.
>>
>>35033738
Experts and eyewitnesses for sure
>>
>>35033738
>Fingerprinting
do you mean more than partial 'matches'?
>>
>>35033774
I can't even remember the number of men on death row in Texas that have been cleared by DNA evidence after having been convicted solely on eyewitness testimony. It's fucking horrifying.

>>35033809
Finger print analysis is not a science. The notion that all fingerprints are unique has never been truly tested; we just accept that it's true because generations of television and radio crime dramas have told us so. It's even worse when dealing with partials, whose validity can be influenced by context and the technicians state of mind. I'm not saying that fingerprint evidence is completely useless, but it's certainly not the silver bullet we've been led to believe.
>>
>>35033738
Unless it's an accountant testifying in a fraud/embezzlement case, expert testimony is worthless. Not to say that the experts are all incompetent, but lawyers can spin their testimony any way they want, the expert is just there to rattle off degrees and certifications.

Accountants are the only ones that will talk back to the lawyers.
>>
>>35034203
>buttmad accountant
>>
>>35034203
The problem is that you don't have to be an actual expert in anything to hire yourself out as an expert witness.
>>
>>35034245
no accountants are autistics yings to lawyers chad yangs
>>
>>35034301

>t. autist who just watched the accountant
>>
>>35034245
accounting has actual rules, most other things are much softer.
>>
can't leave ballistic evidence if you don't leave witnesses.
>>
>>35033307

The barrel wouldn't matter anyway as the new micro stamping technology has made it impossible to get away with murder.
>>
>>35034301
Someone make one of those virgin and Chad comics with acct and lawyer NOW
>>
>>35035794
Yes...
>>
>>35035794
I read about that in cosmopolitan. That's why I've been picking up all of my brass at the range. I'm not being framed today Mr. lawman
>>
>>35034203
>lawyers can spin their testimony any way they want, the expert is just there to rattle off degrees and certifications.

>what is cross
>>
>>35033307

ways that bullets are traced
>barrel grooves matched to gun
changes with rounds fired, brush strokes from cleaning rod, and corrosion
>firing pin strike
changes with wear on firing pin/swapped firing pin

its not a very concrete science, because there are so many variables, I believe there is something metallurgical that can be done to match the allows from the gun and the round, but that would change if you swapped functional components, they would have better luck trying to identify the specific lot of gun powder in your cartridge and matching it to residue in the area
>>
If you want to change barrels easily get a glock. If you get a glock in .40 you can get conversion barrels in .357sig and 9mm. The barrels can be changed by hand with no tools very quickly.
>>
>not having an untraceable cheapo ditch-gun
Cmon son
>>
>>35034162
Ah DNA, good old Fred Zaine sure sent alot of people to death row on falsified dna matches. Texas still remains unapologetic abkut killing innocents.

Basically thisis how cops work
>crime happens
>nab the first person they run across
>beat a confession out of them
>or just use court nepotism, violate every right and break the law to put you away
>20 years after the state fries you in an electric chair, some lawyer takes the case and reveals the absolute corruption
>so they make the judge involved a state prosecutor
>>
Your gun won't be totally untraceable, but it will be real close.
>>
>>35038291
Yes, it's critically important to make sure it's a Glock™ brand Glock™.
>>
>>35038333
glocks have an advanced fingerprint removal feature too
>>
>>35038344
and most importantly, don't show up on metal detectors
>>
>>35038324
Texas: we only kill niggers, spics, retards, and poor people.
>>
>>35038350
No, the porcelain Glock™ 7 is only available in 9mm, you need a .40 for the fingerprint removal feature to work properly and besides, you wouldn't even be able to kill someone in the first place with a 9mm.
>>
>>35036272

>picking up my brass at the range to avoid getting framed

>not picking it up anyway for reloading

Dumbass
>>
>>35033307
It would (assuming it could be matched originally anyway) but honestly a fresh barrel in the gun of a suspected murder weapon is probably stronger evidence than anything ballistic testing could provide.
>>
>>35038333
Yes, the glock must be made by Glock. But the conversion barrels are not made by glock. They are made by various other brands.
>>
>>35038822
not necessarily, if you buy the new barrel before the murder, and use the new barrel for the killing and just put the old one back in after.
>>
>>35038312
>wasting a gun because you fell for a meme
Cmon son.
>>
>>35033685
Psychology is an absolute meme. Both inside and outside the courtroom. It's the one thing I agree with Scientologists about.
>>
>>35039967

>not tracing new barrels and guns bought recently in the area of the murder in the same caliber
>>
>>35040260
>not making your own barrels
>>
>>35040260
>there were new-ish goodyear tire tracks near the crime
>you own a car with newish goodyear tires
>therefore you are guilty
Please tell me most jurors aren't so stupid that they don't see why this chain of logic is retarded/flawed
>>
>>35040281
Unless you have a proper boring drill and rifle button/reamer, or barrel blank, that is one of the few ways for ballistics to not be a complete meme...
The only other way is you do custom wildcatting and you exclusively used tin bullets and 'brass' made from something stupid like 1095.

Even then, the "I sold/bought a (similar) X to/from some guy in a parking lot, prove otherwise faggot" defense still is well within a reasonable doubt.
>>
>>35038312
this
if you're gonna murder somebody go buy a hi point off a spic and trash in after.

Or just make a slamfire shotgun with plumbing pipe
>>
>>35040791
Because smart jurors are never selected. A jury that can't be led is something neither defense nor prosecution want
>>
In criminal justice I was straight face told that tracing bullets back to the gun is basically bullshit.
>>
>>35040791
Oh shit, son. Back in the the mid 2000's there was a Law and Order mini series called The Jury or something like that. It was a documentary series following an actual jury hearing an in real life case affecting real people. It was the single most depressing thing I've ever seen. Juries aren't stupid, they just don't care. Same as prosecutors and judges. They just don't fucking care about anything other than convicting someone and going home.
>>
File: 1503114189917.jpg (63KB, 575x584px) Image search: [Google]
1503114189917.jpg
63KB, 575x584px
>>35033333
>ballistics is a meme
welp, consecutive digits don't lie
>>
bumperango
>>
>>35038373
So Texans?
>>
>>35035794
Just now reading about this. Sounds like people won't be getting away with gun crimes much longer.
>>
>>35045382
He's memeing anon. (and it doesn't sound like you are)
>>
>>35044725
>832

Nice little addition. I like you.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.