[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can some smart anon tell us whether or not lightning cuts on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

Can some smart anon tell us whether or not lightning cuts on a pistol slide are detrimental from a reliability standpoint?

I assume that having windows on your slide lets in more dirt/sand/particles but that's just my speculation and not from my experience.
>>
>>35030583
Inertia is a property of matter.
The slide weight is paired to appropriate spring force by the manufacturer.
Example 1) 400 grams at 400 fps is ~ 11 pound force seconds
Example 2) 350 grams at 420 fps is ~ 10 pound force seconds
I have no damned idea how fast a slide moves or weighs for every damned gun or load.
Bottom line is there is very little difference using the same load.
A lighter slide moves faster, but we're not talking about walking speeds vs light speed.
The slide will move quite a bit slower than the bullet.
A lighter slide won't do a damed thing to your gun except label you a snowflake.
The mass of a snowflake is irrelevant.
>>
>>35030583
The dust/dirt getting into the slide would be my main concern. Usually, when you see carry guns with a ported barrel or with slide cutouts, it's because the gun isn't really a carry gun, but rather is a competition gun designed for a "carry gun" class or division. In this case, it appears that the slide was lightened to compensate for a red dot cutout on the rear, which has the potential to add more weight than the gun is normally used to carrying on the slide.

Sigs are notorious for being finnicky about the timing of the cyclic rate - as soon as the recoil spring of a P226 wears out, the guns become unreliable - however, I am not sure if that applies to the P320 also.

>>35030668
Lol, you're a retard.
>>
>>35030721
>Lol, you're a retard.
LOL suck my bloody hemorrhoids dry, no maths faggot
>>
>>35030721
>recoil spring ... wears out ... become unreliable
HOLY FUCK BALLS, DID YOU COME UP WITH THAT ALL BY YOURSELF?
>>
>>35030745
>maths
What's up, noguns.

>>35030761
It may be a difficult concept for someone who has never put more than 400 rounds through a single gun before, but other pistols, like Glocks and HKs, will shoot reliably, just with a little stronger of a recoil impulse, until the recoil spring is so weak that it won't even chamber a round. Sigs will start jamming long before the recoil spring gets that weak.
>>
>>35030780
>just with a little stronger of a recoil impulse, until the recoil spring is so weak that it won't even chamber a round. Sigs will start jamming long before the recoil spring gets that weak
Moron
Well, we found the real noguns.
>>
>>35030668
>>>35030583 (OP)
>Inertia is a property of matter.
BILL BILL BILL BILL
Shame hes a gaytard lib shill now.
>>
>>35030583
You had it right. The guns that have cutout slides are typically used for competition shooting (inb4 Beretta 92). The slide cutouts can let dirt in, which generally is not an issue unless you drop the thing in sandy mud. I prefer a solid slide.
>>
>>35030745
>maths
>pound force seconds

Shouldn't you be in school, Britbong?
>>
>>35030838
Seriously, anon has obviously never shot a gun enough to break it in or wear it out.
>>35030780
When the recoil spring wears out, it can not resist the force of the slide as easily as a new spring, so the slide actually starts to go faster and faster until it starts stressing the metal. A worn out gun will chamber a round with more force than a brand new gun
>>
>>35030838
What are you on about now? Have you never shot a gun with a worn out recoil spring, or just never shot a gun, period?

>>35030983
>When the recoil spring wears out, it can not resist the force of the slide as easily as a new spring, so the slide actually starts to go faster and faster until it starts stressing the metal. A worn out gun will chamber a round with more force than a brand new gun
It seems like it should be common sense. Worn out springs cause the slide to move faster, which increases the felt recoil and sends the spent casing flying farther. In the case of Sigs, the increased cyclic rate affects reliability as well.
>>
>>35030583
A lighter slide will require a heavier spring or a longer stroke to cycle reliably.
>>
>>35031127
If a spring wears out thv slide will go rearward fine, because less tension, but also may not lock back into battery, because there's not enough force pushing it forward again.
>>
>>35030583
Lightening cuts, OP. Electricity does not shoot out of a firearm, though that would be really cool.

Also: their purpose is to reduce the mass of an extra-long slide so that it will still cycle reliably with a normal recoil spring setup.

That having been said if you can look through them and see the working parts, you're doing it wrong. Grit and pea gravel need to stay outside the gun.

I can see the virtue of something like a Glock 17L having lightening cuts to help it cycle more briskly but mill some metal off either side and from the top, don't drill fucking speed holes in it to let in foreign matter.

You can get away with that on a range toy, but every firearm I own was chosen with the possibility in mind that it just might be what I had close at hand when I hear glass breaking at three in the morning. All of them are big boy toys that I shoot a lot at the range for shits and giggles, but none of them is JUST a toy.
>>
>>35031441
>If a spring wears out thv slide will go rearward fine, because less tension,
You're not understanding what people are saying. A weaker spring will let the side go back much faster than it's designed to, which isn't "just fine." It increases felt recoil, increases wear on the gun, and, for the third time in this thread, it changes the timing of the recoil action, which can cause failures in the Sig 226.

>but also may not lock back into battery, because there's not enough force pushing it forward again.
What I'm saying is that the Sig P226 will start malfunctioning long before this point.
>>
>>35031647
Your first point is semantics; I'm using "fine" to mean "adequately" or "successfully".

Your second point is likely true.
>>
>>35031808
It's not "semantics." I'm describing a complicated topic, and it's worth mentioning relevant details.
>>
>>35030668
>grams
>fps
>pound force seconds

What the fuck am I reading
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.