[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good all around outdoor gun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

File: Snapchat-49273628.jpg (649KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-49273628.jpg
649KB, 1080x1920px
Hi /k/, So I'm a bit of an /out/ist and enjoy traveling off the beaten path in my wrangler. I have been looking to get my first gun for a while now but since I live in California the go to of an AR is off the table since I dont want to deal with all the bullshit regulations. I want something that reliable, with a semi high ammo capacity, but also powerful. I had my sights on a .45-70 lever action but when I went into turners the guy told me It would be too expensive and I should look into buying a semi-auto 5.56 platform or a .357 lever action platform. So now I dont know really what I should get, I though about a shotgun but dont know if it offers the range or reliability I need and have been eyeing lever actions but I'm worried about ammo costs (Stupid I know). What is /k/s suggestion?

>pic unrelated
>>
>>35026708
bump
>>
>>35026708
I should also add i was considering a Benjamin bulldog .357 air rifle
>>
>>35026708
Is your primary purpose for self defense from animals? I mean, you could get a 10mm handgun and it'd save you a lot of weight.
>>
>>35027014
>I mean, you could get a 10mm handgun and it'd save you a lot of weight.

The Glock 20 is on the CA handgun roster.
>>
>>35027014
Animals is my main concern, but I am also one who believe in legends and I want something that fires a large round in case I run into skin-walkers or some shit. I have had some spooky shit happen to me in the past and I want to be able to kill whatever spooked me or may attack me in one shot if that makes sense
>>
>>35027059
Guns are ineffective against magic. What you need is a wand.
>>
>>35027086
I was gonna bless my bullets with holy water, I'm not some fucking autistic neck-beard you cuck
>>
>>35026708
A .357 levergat is actually a pretty good suggestion. I'm very partial to the Henry rifles. Too bad the Mare's Leg isn't CA legal, because that would be a perfect option.
>>
>>35027059
If that's the case, then I would seriously consider >>35027041 this guy's suggestion. 10mm is powerful enough to stop just about anything with proper shot placement. Plus, it'd be a handgun, so it'd be easily accessible and quick to draw. No slinging it over your back for hikes and then fumbling to shoulder it while your adrenaline is pumping. And did I mention that 10mm packs quite the wallop?

The downside is that it'll reduce your range significantly. But you probably shouldn't be shooting 25+ yards in self-defense anyway.

Oh, and can you share your stories with things you've encountered? I love that stuff, and I'm in the mood for a spooky story.
>>
>>35027098
The world doesn't need a superstitious paranoid firing off rounds at every rustle and crack he hears in the night.

>I'm not some fucking autistic neck-beard you cuck
YOU FUCKING LIE
>>
If you're worried about animals then you just need something with a bit of oomph to it.
I would recommend a simple bolt rifle with a 1×4 scope.
An animal probably has your ass in a doing if you didn't get the first shot.
Animals are unbelievably fast and powerful.
The shorty 12 that Michael Douglas has in "The ghost and the darkness" was probably the most believable thing about the movie.
>>
>>35027121
If I go out at night I usually am in the car and if I stop I keep the floodlights on and dont stray far from it. Coyotes spooked me the fuck out a couple of times. (Keep in mind I was raised in the city, nature still frightens me a bit)
>>
>>35027171
>(Keep in mind I was raised in the city, nature still frightens me a bit)
It shouldn't. The animals in the city are far more dangerous than the ones in the woods.

Coyotes, bobcats, and black bears are afraid of humans. The only non-human animal that might kill you is a starving mountain lion, and there's nothing a gun can do about that. They're ambush predators. Jump on you from behind and snap your neck. You'd never see it coming.
>>
>>35027120
okay I got one that happened back in may
>be me
>camping out in Joshua Tree national park with buddy
>nighttime
>Deiced to do some exploring in the jeep
>we hope in and head for the first dirt road that leads us out of the park.
>jeep has bright headlights floodlights
>we all have 100+ lumen flashlights
>have .177 pellet rifle in the back to scare off coyotes spooky shit
>travel down road for an hour
>middle of a desert plain, buddy asks to turn off engine see if we cant hear wildlife.
>turn off and wait to see if we can hear anything
>Hear what sounds like an eagle suddenly
>turn on floodlights but leave engine off because spooked.
>See coyote staring right at us in the middle of the road direct front about 40 meters in front
>buddy says turn off lights
>do it but get spooked, like a chill running down my back.
>turn lights back on
>coyote now closer still staring at us standing in middle of road.
>We both get freaked out
>I turn on engine
>buddy reaches for .177
> coyote runs off into the night
>eventually find highway and drive back to joshua tree.
>on way back see an eagle in the night sky
> we get back to our camps site and all have nightmares for the rest of the night
>at one point I begin to sleepwalk but buddy stops me before I leave the tent
>>
>>35027220
I should mention that they were 1000+ not 100+
>>
>>35027059
Mini 14 covers the 5.56 semi auto aspect. Otherwise, your choice of .30-30 lever action.
>>
>>35027220
>dude, this wild dog is curious about us
>I can't handle this shit, man. I'm greening out. oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck
>>
If you are afraid of animals and spooks a shotgun is great. They are very reliable, you can get a long magazine tube and load them with many varieties of powerful ammuniton, also they are very cheap and fire cheap ammo. You could also hunt anything with it. A mossberg 500 with an 8 round tube is only 300 bucks and you can load 3 inch shells into it.
>>
>>35027197
Mountain lions weigh like 80 pounds... they ain't snapping no one's neck.

a lever action in .357 doesn't sound bad at all... unless you could find something that was fed by a box magazine and wasn't a bolt action. I guess that would leave you with a pump action 223. Might end up a fudd gun unless you want the tacticoool route.

If you want to take it backpacking, mybe one of those folding keltec 9MM carbines... or a .357 revolver...
>>
>>35027266
I should mention we both had the same dreams, that the tent was on fire and we were burning and couldn't get out. I also began to sleepwalk because it sounded like my friend was outside and he was calling my name to come talk to him.
>>
>>35027286
Since I'm in California I was gonna go the NEo-western route of a 1911 and a lever action. But everyone is telling me the 10mm route is better
>>
>>35027286
Ignorant fool.

https://youtu.be/1CLqJCGNCjo?t=46
>>
>>35027259
This with 30 round mag is "almost" like an AR. Fires same calibers at semi auto
>>
>>35027326
I happen to know how to convert that to full auto, don't ask me how, but I don't know the legality of the 30rds in california and dont want to deal with that bullshit
>>
>>35027326
>30 round mag
>California

Choose one
>>
File: 1ef2abd9-ted-3-the-elvis-years.jpg (118KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1ef2abd9-ted-3-the-elvis-years.jpg
118KB, 1024x768px
elemental damage to target with fire, water, earth, air and spirit.

fire - exploding bullet
water - acid bullet
earth - poison bullet

and

spirit - bullet laced in pig's blood.
>>
>>35027401
So basically, have the Avatar with you, and everything will be fine.
>>
File: 20170515_142323.jpg (4MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170515_142323.jpg
4MB, 4128x2322px
>>35027220
I've hadn't something similar happen to me, some strange shit out in that desert
>>
File: IMG_0826.jpg (289KB, 954x639px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0826.jpg
289KB, 954x639px
>>35027059
Get a 10mm and call it a day. Protect you from animals and creepy fuckers/druggies ect. Small enough to put on a chest holster for quick access but not obtrusive or heavy. Could use something like pic related Hill People Gear as to not scare some California fags you encounter.
>>
>>35027220
>29 Palms out by Joshua
>Training exercise
>Insertion by helo onto a mini mountain to establish a comm site, mountaintop only reachable by air
>there's a conex box observation building-thing

>sleeping on top of said conex observationey-thing
>wake up to a wierd humming in the middle of the night
>seems pretty peaceful and stuff
>actually get my bearings and realize it's really fucking wierd and I maybe should be a little concerned
>look around in a 360 and remember I'm on top of a 7-8' high basically-a-shipping-container, safe enough and pass back out
>>
>>35026708

.30-30 levergat

They're simple, rugged, fast to use, appreciably powerful, and don't cost too terribly much to feed.
>>
>>35026708

You need a 12ga shotgun. You can, in fact, buy a whole other gun shortly after getting one since IMO some of the best options for camp defence are also the cheapest (Mossberg/Maverick, 870, various clones).
>>
>>35027120
Problem with this post:
If you're concerned about large animal defense:
-You should carry a rifle;
-Don't wait until the animal is within 25yds to draw bead on it if it's acting aggressively toward you. Thats too close even for defense against humans, let alone large powerful four legged mammals.

When I go hunting in AK, any grizzlies tracking us that get within 100yds will be taken down. It hasn't happened yet--fortunately they've all turned away before that point.
>>
>>35027120
Not OP but I have a similar interest. My brother and I actually encountered something fucked up when we were youngins.
I've asked about it on /k/ and /x/, even (((Reddit))) before about it and the consensus seems to some sort of manticore. I call it a mandracore, you'll see why in a bit. We both got a good look too seeing as it activated our neighbor's motion light on its way into our backyard.

Basically went like this.
>Wake up middle of the night thanks to neighbor's bright ass light
>Get out of bed, climb onto bro's bed and over bro to scope out what turned it on cause that's what I do when this happens
>Saw an owl once, cool shit
>Tonight's different though, inexplicable sense of dread drumming at the back of my mind
>Pull apart window blinds and see the back of a feline, tawny and short fur like a lion even has a tuft at end of its long tail
>Judging by the tree it was next to the thing was about 3-3.5' tall at a slouched sitting position, gaunt and muscular
>Thing turns its head towards me as if it noticed me staring
>Face is human and baboon-like
>Red and blue facial markings like a mandrill
>Eyes as black as obsidian, just pitch black pits of darkness
>Unable to look away

Cont. because just over character limit.
>>
>>35027120
>>35028246
Cont.

>Glares at me with the anger of >9000 suns
>Opens jaws like it's roaring, teeth are like stilettos in at least 2 rows
>No sound, but whatever this 'roar' is it causes me to feel an ever increasing, in both frequency and intensity, pulse of pressure
>Eventually black out, wake up next morning and pretend everything's cool
>Even at 6 years old I knew my animals better than my family and my 1st grade teacher (tfw could spell camouflage and understand its purpose in kindergarten)
>This thing was something I've never seen before or since
>So I kept quiet about it for years until a thumbnail of SCP-173 triggered the memory to come flooding back
>Tell bro that I shared room with about it, long pause while he looks like he's remembering something he didn't want to
>Says he saw it too, woke up when I crawled over him, watched over my shoulder the entire time, frozen silent in the same terror that had me

Some speculative conclusions we've come to over the various threads.
>'Roar' may be infrasound
>No leathery wings
>Miniscule mane
>No scorpion stinger or visible barbs on tail
>Between lynx and mt lion in size
>Corporeal due to activation of motion light
>>
File: Mandracore.png (64KB, 1938x1446px) Image search: [Google]
Mandracore.png
64KB, 1938x1446px
>>35028246
>>35028281
Quick mspaint of how things were lain out.
>>
A good bolty, lever or lever gun fits your bill. I'd personally want something as short as possible. Think scout rifle of thumper concept. If you want a beater, I also have alternate suggestion. Buy a T53 action. Most I've seen are in the $139 range, but you can get lucky at times. Synthy stocks are roughly $89. Result is 7.62x54R in lightweight stock.
>>
File: 20170415_152130.jpg (3MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170415_152130.jpg
3MB, 4032x2268px
>>35027108
>Henry .357

Mah nigga
>>
File: 20170415_152108.jpg (3MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170415_152108.jpg
3MB, 4032x2268px
>>35028998
Let's fix that pic a bit
>>
>>35029145
... Or not

Anyway OP, you've still got a lot of good options. A 12ga pump shotgun would do you good, buckshot and slugs will fuck up anything. A levergat in .357 or higher would do well. A Bolt gun in .243 and up will also work. Basically it all comes down to what you can afford to shoot.
>>
>>35028281
Thanks anon, that is fucking spooky.
>>
>>35026708

Just get some sort of lever action gat.
>>
>>35027286

You're a dumbass. They've been known to kill full grown Moose.
>>
File: asdf213.jpg (113KB, 1200x527px) Image search: [Google]
asdf213.jpg
113KB, 1200x527px
>>35026708
How you can even ask that question on this board and receive actual replies instead of getting berated into a coma is beyond me.
>>
>>35026708
Turner's is garbage OP, a .45-70 lever action is the most versatile Bush gun you could ask for.
>>
>>35029717
BEcause Grab sks go inna woods
>>
>>35026708
Honestly a shotgun is a great option. You can load with slugs for bigguns, buckshot for hunting and birdshot for birds. Its extremely versitil and you can get a Mossy 950 Semiauto for like 600$s
>>
Get a cheap 590 or 870 for a nice do all gun, if you don't want a shotgun get a Winchester 1894 or Marlin 336 for another great do all gun, if you want a (CA legal) semi auto get an SKS or Mini 14 or unconverted Saiga in whatever caliber you want or an M1 Garland if you don't mind the weight

Personally, I'd get a shotgun. If you don't want a shotgun I'd get an 1894 or 336 or SKS, they're all cheap and shoot cheaper ammo (30-30 is more expensive than 7.62x39 but it isn't too expensive for a centerfire rifle cartridge)
>>
OP get an sks, not 10mm

sks = amazing
>>
>>35026708
Just get a single action revolver in 357 mag. Youre not gonna need anything more than that in california. Also ammo is cheap, and most revolvers are cheap and reliable.
>>
>>35027086
.45-70 IS magic. Pure redneck poetry voodoo death spell-casting sculpture taken lethal form.
>>
>>35026708
Galil ACE 7.62x51 or SCAR 17S.
>>
>>35027849
I fucking hate alien brain parasite hosts pretending to be rational skeptics.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.