[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aliens attack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 6

File: 1502881642298m.jpg (104KB, 766x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1502881642298m.jpg
104KB, 766x1024px
Hey /k/ just came from /sci/ in thread talking about relativistic kinetic kill vehicles and it got me thinking. If ayys ever attacked, what weapons would our militaries have to combat them?
>>
>>35022677
Fuck all.
>>
>>35022684
So nobody has even done scenarios or made battle plans?
>>
>>35022677
22lr
>>
Absolutely nothing we can do. If you really understand how relativistic weaponry works, you'd understand its unstoppable once it reaches near speed of light.

Our only hope would be colonization if other planets and other humans surviving the first attack in order to even attempt to respond.
>>
>>35022694
What would be the point? Any civilization that can cross galaxies has a grasp of far more advanced physics than we do. We'd be fucked, it would be more asynchronous than European settlers coming to North America with guns, horses, and disease.
>>
>>35022694
If they have the tech to reach us, they have the tech to destroy us. It would be like leaves to the wind.
>>
>>35022718
Oh I'm more talking about an invasion scenario. And the weapons we would use to counter it.
>>
File: ODSTunist.webm (3MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
ODSTunist.webm
3MB, 854x480px
>>35022677
Team up with their enemies
Chances are if there's one race of war mongering ayys there's another
>>
>>35022729
Fair enough.
>>
File: IMG_4107.jpg (46KB, 360x356px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4107.jpg
46KB, 360x356px
lob nukes and hope they die of radiation poisoning
>>
>>35022733
We would use our secret alien blasting weapons.

What kind of an answer were you expecting here?

It would be conventional weapons and tactics, likely to very little effect.
>>
>>35022733
Independence day type? Or battle of the worlds type?
>>
>>35022758
Hmm, wasn't expecting any specific answer. It just seems like something a military would at least have a "war game" for.
>>
>>35022766
Assume a bit of both. The aliens deploy and attempt to establish air and land superiority.
>>
>>35022772
I'd wager any strategy would hinge more on appeasement/surrender/survival and getting government leaders into bunkers than an actual attempt at armed resistance. Seems hard to war game around an entirely unknown opponent with unknown capabilities and numbers.
>>
>how would we fight off a species with a tech gap that would be more severe than 2017 US invading 3rd century BC Europe
Geee I don't know, I'd assume try what we know, get BTFO and then capitulate to our new AYYY LMAO masters.
or alternatively
AYY LMAOs are obviously out for extermination.
>try what we know
>get BTFO
>try guerilla war
>get BTFO
>fuck it try and nuke the cunts
>be eternally BTFO
>>
>>35022733
casaba howitzers, thunder wells, we'd get pretty well fucked if we were attacked by a light speed capable enemy. if someone sent a generation ship colony and they couldn't be convinced to keep looking we might have a ghost of a chance blowing them up before they blew us up.
>>
>>35022677
I fucking love that style of art. Nostalgia for the days of Asimov, Lem, Clarke...awesome reads.
>>
>>35022833
I did forget.
This is an interesting short story by Turtledove. the main idea is that the secret to interstellar travel is actually quite simple and most species discover it towards the beginning of their industrial revolution. Earth never did however. This ironically leads to a technological darkage for the species that have the capability of interstellar flight.

https://eyeofmidas.com/scifi/Turtledove_RoadNotTaken.pdf
>>
File: VF-0D.jpg (1MB, 2000x1246px) Image search: [Google]
VF-0D.jpg
1MB, 2000x1246px
>>35022677
Cannibalize technology from the few ayliens we can kill with conventional weapons and then overclock everything we have with the resultant advances in knowledge.
>>
We literally had this thread yesterday. No, we'd all die, fuck off
>>
We had a thread on this the other day, and the answer is we'd probably attempt to use conventional arms and tactics, if that fails, then lobs nukes at them, maybe some black project that we don't know about might get a shot before the nukes, but thats pretty much it. All in al, we'd be fucked if they came purely to invade/colonize/wage war.
>>
>>35022677
If there's a civilization that can reach our planet, we're most likely fucked. The only way we can possibly win is lobbing nukes and hoping they do some damage, otherwise we're probably ded.
>>
Use the Dark Forest Theorem against them.
>>
Could always try some pascal nuclear shots and hope the math adds up for a hit.
>>
Unless the memes about the government having super sekrit black projects lying around ready to go are true there's not much they can do. And even then there's not much they could do anyway, see the Killing Star.
>>
>>35022921
Thanks, will read the link
>>
>>35022921
Interesting
>>
>>35022677
Our only hope is weaponized autism.
>>
>>35022677
We impregnate them.
>>
>>35022921
I like his books on the US Civil War.
>>
We would welcome them, Swedish style.
>>
>>35022772
In an invasion/enslavement/steal our resources (though why I dunno) scenario, the plan is to surrender entirely and be basically terrorist cells attempting to be as annoying as possible until they decide to just leave us alone.
>>
>>35025851
>>35027845
I will do what must be done. For the good of mankind, I will make the ultimate sacrifice.
>>
>>35022921
interesting scenarios, but lord almighty, he's a terrible writer.
>>
>>35022729
Please explain how having the technology to build a space ship translates to having the technology to defeat Earth. Don't just assume they have something. Actually mention what they would have.
>>
>>35022694
Explosively Formed Penetrator, using a hydrogen bomb as the explosive component.

>Requesting the picture of the Soviet idea of how to kill Ayy Spaceships
>>
>>35022844
Light speed and faster travel isn't possible, ever. If it was, then the fermi paradox becomes 100000000x more insane.
>>
>>35027965
Simple, in order to actually reach us, they'd either have generation ships, which would be reaaaaallly hard to maintain and require advanced technology that is, even now, beyond us. Both for construction, actual systems, and maintenance, such as a fusion engine for power, and high efficiency ion thrusters, and being able to actually get such a fuckhuge ship to stay together under the riggors of actual centuries of space travel, and all of the possible disasters that entails.

At least with this, we could make a decent showing, because they'd probably suffer some form of degeneration of what the fuck they were here to do simply because it's been hundreds of years since they departed, and they would, while being far beyond us, at least have difficulty standing up to sustained barrages of nuclear weapons, and on the ground, bullets will probably rip through their unarmoured fleshier bits.

Orrrrr they have FTL Travel, which requires shit like figuratively, and probably literally, bending reality over your knee and slapping the shit outta it and making it your bitch.

With this, we ain't got a chance. When you can rip a bubble of reality and be somewhere else in minutes, advanced materials, power generation, weaponry, and armour is like child's play. Shielding? Easy. Potentially making bullets just phase through your troops and come out the other side? Sure! We wouldn't be able to do jack shit.
>>
>>35028037
You haven't mentioned a technology they could have which would give them a man vs insect edge. People always seem to think that aliens are going to have tech we wouldn't understand. We probably would understand it. As our technology and understanding of physics advances, so does our picture of what is and isn't possible, as well as where technology will plateau.

Thinking about alien tech from an alien perspective is as much folly as looking at it from a human perspective. It's just tech that anyone with a sentient brain is able to develop.

Think about it, if you were super smart and you wanted to take a planet for yourself, what would you do, assuming you had lots of technology, BUT also knowing that tech isn't magic? Viruses and chemicals. You find what kills the dominant life form in the fastest and most unpreventable way, then you just dump that shit into the atmosphere.
>>
>>35028162
if they want to attack they can simply throw a few asteroids with math and level the surface of the planet before ever reaching us. Extra tech is basically a given but it isn't necessary either.
>>
>>35028162
>>35027965
Any space ship capable of moving between solar system is also an incredibly powerful weapon of mass destruction, they sit in orbit and wipe out cities until the nations of the earth surrender (which they would very quickly after a few million deaths). Any nukes fired at the ship would be intercepted, its not like our missiles are designed to hit fucking spaceships.

done
>>
File: 534534.jpg (249KB, 992x1400px) Image search: [Google]
534534.jpg
249KB, 992x1400px
>>35022677
>If ayys ever attacked, what weapons would our militaries have to combat them?
1. None.
2. With high technologies planets and ecosystems are hopelessly vulnerable against attacks.
3. Space-faring technologies require space based production of space ships.
4. ...???
5. Space-faring races leave planets and start living in space ships.
6. Population spreading out into millions and even billions of small settlements in space instead of planets provides natural defense against attacks.
7. Also it means that space-faring races will have little interest in planets like humans have little interest in jungles now.
>>
>>35028164
>throw a few asteroids with math

See, saying things like that makes you sound retarded.
>>
>>35028166
We have missiles that are able to shoot things out of orbit. Thank the cold war for that. Something to remember, nukes always beat matter.
>>
>>35028353
What? Throwing space rocks is classic and planet-killer-capable.
>>
>>35028369
Well yeah, but an advanced space ship could sit further out and simply move away even further when we shoot the nukes, our missiles would also move very slowly compared to whatever the aliens are used to intercepting and have relatively trash targeting and programming.
>>
I saw a greentext here once about some soviet plan for a fuckhuge, nuclear powered EFP. If we could somehow lure the aliens ship over one of those it'd probably do the job.
More practically, the thing to consider about an alien invasion is that space is really fucking huge and so the sheer distances involved are going to make sustaining an invasion force many times more difficult than it already is on earth. Attrition may well be a viable tactic for us simply because of our defenders advantage and any tech lead the aliens have will inevitably disappear during a sustained conflict as we capture and reverse engineer their shit.
>>
>>35028405
unless they just park in the outer solar system and either mine asteroids for automated pest control or simply launch one at us. Of course it's never really clear what anyone gains from aliens attacking so maybe they don't want that destroyed.
>>
>>35028369
no. if you can accelerate a shop to light speed, you can accelerate random objects too. any mass, at all, at light speed by definition has infinite energy. if you hit earth with an infinite energy projectile, the planet comes apart.

light speed engines are themselves planet killing weapons. no lasers necessery.
>>
>>35028434
Even medium-speed at space scale + time will do though.
>>
>>35028434
cont.

fuck, if they want, they could shoot the light speed random object through our atmosphere on a trajectory which will not impact the surface and boil every person on earth alive from the insane heat, while ripping much of the planet's atmosphere off due to the gravitational implications of being in close proximity to an object possessing infinite energy.
>>
>>35028439
That's true, you could kill cities with a gram of matter at 50% of c.
>>
>>35022921
seems interesting have a (you)
>>
>>35022677
silly anon, the ayys are already in control, we are nothing but their pawns
>>
The furthest away any human has ever been is the moon, 384 400 km away.

Mars will, at its closest, get to about 56 000 000 km away. We haven't even gotten started on a serious attempt to send anyone there.

The nearest star, Proxima Centauri, lies 40 000 000 000 km away. A bit over a hundred million times further than the trip to the moon. If you want a decent selection of somewhat Earth-like planets to spawn a civilisation, then you're probably looking at a journey of up to ten times that, so over a billion times longer than the furthest humanity has managed to reach. It's the difference between lobbing an ICBM to the other side of the planet, or reaching out to something less than an inch away.

If aliens attack, we'd be at a greater technological advantage than a small stone age tribe on some south pacific island facing a full invasion by the US military. Your bets bet is to try and figure out how to say "me love you long time" in Zentradi before the aliens decide to vivisect you.
>>
>>35028434
>at light speed by definition has infinite energy

Infinite energy also means infinite effective mass. Infinite mass means an infinitely strong gravitational attraction, an infinitely strong force pulling everything towards your light speed object. And so a true light speed engine isn't just a planet killer, switching it on will instead create a gravitational shockwave annihilating the very fabric of space-time and absolutely everythign within it, propagating out at the speed of light. It would be a universe killer.

Of course, all of this is base don not knowing math, and not applying common sense. It isn't that shit has infinite energy at lightspeed. Instead at light speed we get a division by zero. The answer to that isn't infinite, it's "undefined". In a purely mathematical sense that means you screwed up, in physics it can mean that you're trying to calculate something that simply isn't possible.

Now what we do get is that as the speed goes towards lightspeed, the energy goes towards infinite. This is something quite different form the energy being infinite at lightspeed, because it shows you a practical reason for why you can never get there. As you accelerate, you add kinetic energy. To reach ligthspeed you must reach infinite kinetic energy. But since you will be adding energy at a finite rate, you will never reach infinite.
>>
File: casaba_howitzer.jpg (74KB, 342x400px)
casaba_howitzer.jpg
74KB, 342x400px
>>35022677

There's not much we could do, other than try a Casaba Howitzer or nuclear-pumped xray lasers and the like.
>>
>>35028416
>it's never really clear what anyone gains from aliens attacking
they kill us before we kill them
>>
>>35028889
>non-fissionable uranium
what
>>
>>35028889
That'd hurt us more than them. These ayys traveled through space, I think their ships would be shielded from gamma and X-rays
>>
>>35030664
U235 is fissile, U238 ain't. Wouldn't need to enrich shit otherwise.
>>
>>35030717
yeah, but is says non-fissionable. As in, not able to fission.
>>
>>35028824
We don't need to look too far to see how invaders act towards natives. It's in our history, I'm sure we'd get rekt by ayys if they really wanted but fuck me if I'll make it easy for them to take it
>>
>>35030741
Not able to or about to in any meaningful amount under the relevant circumstances. But that's a bit much to cram into the picture, even if everything heavier than H1 can be split apart if you really, really want to.
>>
>>35022677
idk probably guns or something

i actually once asked a CSA person what their plan was for space junk and they literally said "we're going to build a giant howitzer, or maybe use a laser."
>>
>>35030775
What? The majority of a hydrogen bomb's energy comes from U238 in the tamper. What kind of neutron flux are we talking here?
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.