[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys. I'm not big on guns but I just received this double

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1484.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1484.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Hey guys. I'm not big on guns but I just received this double barrel shotgun from my grandfather. He willed it to me but my parents didn't tell me until I began moving out.

Anyway, is it worth taking this to a gunsmith to get it looked over? I'm not dying to own a gun but I figure if I do have one I might as well make sure it works and buy some ammo for it. However, I'm not sure if it'd be better to just buy one that hasn't been sitting in storage for a decade. I've looked it over and from what I can tell the rear trigger doesn't work. The barrel diameter is .5" and I found BOITO stamped on it. No idea how old it is.
>>
Take it to a smith. Even cheap doubles are worth something. And I'm guessing it isn't that old so it's likely safe to shoot.
>>
>>35021762
Nigga that is an heirloom. Your grandfather left you that gun. Keep it, use it, respect it. Make sure your kids can one day use it as well.
>>
>>35021784
>>35021800
This. That's got sentimental value man. It's your old grandpops double barrel. Get it cleaned up just to have as a keepsake.
>>
It's Brazilian. Likely sold at Kmart or another chain store in the 70's or 80's.

Nice guns for the money.
>>
>>35021762
>Anyway, is it worth taking this to a gunsmith to get it looked over?
If you don't know anything about it then yes, you might be scammed when he says he'll buy it off you for "x" when its actually worth more than that but whatever just don't sell it.
>>
>>35021819
>just don't sell it

This is the most important thing.
>>
>>35021762
>>35021813
this anon. If you have kids you can teach them gun safety on their great grandpa's gun. You can't buy that kind of history. Even if you use it to shoot trap once every couple of years it's well worth keeping.
>>
Either but a cabinet or a gun lock.

We don't want to read about your friends or kids blowing themselves away.

Basic firearms courses are good too if you a noob.
>>
>>35021784
Alright. Do you know if a smith would ask for registration or anything before working on it? I don't have any papers on this gun and I live in commiefornia.

>>35021800
>>35021813
I think my grandpa had wanted to teach me how to shoot on it but he died when I was only about seven years old. I don't think it has much sentimental value beyond that, he hunted deer and I don't think he used this shotgun for that, one of my friends looked at it and said it was a .410 and implied that was a small gauge.
>>
File: IMG_4170.png (894KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4170.png
894KB, 1242x2208px
welcome to the world of guns, anon
the best thing about breech-loading shotguns is that they're hilariously tolerant when it comes to ammo types
if that thought tickles your interest, I suggest you get another cheap break-action shotty to test the crazier loads without ruining your grandpop's
>>
>>35021849
Tell the smith, he'll set you straight. Probably won't have to register it, but god only knows in commiefornia.
>>
>>35021849
The fact that it was your grandpas makes it sentimental, gaylord
>>
>>35021849
It's a 60s to 80s hunting/target double barrel. There's no papers to present for it, even here in Commiefornia. They'll just inspect for damage or safety hazards and tell you whether or not it's safe to shoot after taking $40-$60.

Hell I had gunsmith work done to install night sights on a new handgun and they didn't ask for papers. The fact that you're in possession of it and spending more money on it instead of selling or pawning it is usually a reliable enough proof of ownership.
>>
>>35021849
Dude your grandpa left you, by name, that gun when you were all of 7 fucking years old. He wanted you to have it. If you don't get why that should have sentimental value to you you might be literally autistic, or possibly psychopathic.
>>
>>35021866
>>35021879
Alright, thanks everyone. Now I just have to find a decent gunsmith near me. One last question, how should I bring it into the place? In a something like a baseball bag or just hold it out?
>>
>>35021849
The gunsmith won't ask for any sort of documentation, because there is none.

Almost all firearm transfers are supposed to go through an FFL, though. Parent-child and grandparent-grandchild transfers are an exception. However, you are still supposed to report the transfer of the firearm to the CADOJ.

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/oplaw.pdf
>>
>>35021934
just carry it in, shouldn't be a problem. Obviously have the barrel pointed to the sky or ground and finger off the trigger. If you're walking into a store with a big sign that says GUNSMITH nobody will think twice
>>
>>35021849
>>35021958
Oh, and minors are prohibited from owning firearms in California. When your grandfather died, the firearm transferred ownership to one of your parents, whichever one is his child. That occurred before the reporting requirement, so your parent is in the clear, legally speaking. But this transfer, which, to be clear, is between your parent and you, must be reported.
>>
>>35021934
Briefcase or duffle bag or luggage bag or something. Especially cause you're in cali, it's just better etiquette to have it in something, tell them what you have, then take it out for them. Be super careful not to point it at people. Just lay it down
>>
>>35021974
This, but also keep the breech open.
>>
>>35021934

wrap it in a towel or small throw blanket

any sort of longish back that fits it

even a cardboard box
>>
>>35021934
Legally, all you have to do with a long arm is have it unloaded to transport it by car. Though walking into a gun store with a gun in hand is considered poor form. If you don't have a case, wrapping a towel around it is nice.
>>
OK OP.
1) Get an FSC card. Have tge parent/child transfer recorded by the DOJ. Makes things legal. Good to CYA.
2) It's an old hardware store SXS shotgun. Looks like a 20ga or .410 bore. Low recoil. EZ to shoot. Keep it.
3) Don't be a cheapskate. Get a plastic gun case. They're like $20. Get a cleaning kit, ear protection and eye protection. A trigger lock can't hurt either.
4) Do not bring it into a store in your hands. A towel at the very minimum. Really, get a case ir gun sock, secure it at home and then bring it in. Let the store staff uncase it for you, that is an important safety rule because they don't know if it's loaded.
>>
File: IMG_3657.jpg (187KB, 724x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3657.jpg
187KB, 724x1024px
>>35021762
Hey anon. Don't bother taking it to a gun smith. Waste of time and money. If there is something wrong with it, even a noguns noob would notice. The rear trigger sets when when you fire the first barrel.
>>
>>35021762
Why would it not work? Put some shells around the stock and hang it up fag.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.