[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will .308 kill through body armor?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

Saw a video a while back explaining that even if body armor stops a 12 gauge slug, the energy transferred through the plate into the wearer is enough to break bones and rupture internal organs, causing serious injury if not death. Ergo, the plate is useless.

That being said, since 308 has more energy than your typical shotgun slug, will it have the same effect? (i.e. seriously injuring/killing even if armor stop the projectile). OR does the shotgun slug have more of an effect bc. of greater mass?

For reference:

Average 12 Gauge Slug
Muzzle Energy - 2664 Foot Pounds
Weight - 300 Grains

Average .308 Round
Muzzle Energy - 2648 Foot Pounds
Mass - 150-180 Grains
>>
>>35019886
No.
>>
>>35019886
That's bullshit.
>>
>>35019886
Level III hard plates stop slug without problem without causing serious injury. kevlar on the other hand stops slugs but the energy really can mush something inside. the difference is the area of impact (pressure and all that physical stuff).

Speed is king in defeating armor keep that in mind, for example a level IIIA kevlar will stop the slug but the energy making a gigantic back deformation that could kill u, the .308 will go through and kill u.
in a level III hard plate the slug will stop and not mush ur organs, the .308 will also stop but the back deformation will be bigger but will not cause damage

videos for reference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh7pW8j-6pc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ute-FFA4XZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixnTDXg9eLs

TL;DR
the plate is not useless dummy, kevlar vest is kinda useless for shotgun slugs
>>
You need to understand the difference between soft armor and hard armor. Lvl 4 Hard armor will stop a shotgun blast and save you, and will do the same with .308

Soft armor will stop a shotgun blast but still allow it to damage you, but will not stop .308
>>
>not carrying ar500 on the front and back all day long
>>
>>35019886
>since 308 has more energy than your typical shotgun slug

>Average 12 Gauge Slug
Muzzle Energy - 2664 Foot Pounds

>Average .308 Round
Muzzle Energy - 2648 Foot Pounds

M8 did you even read the data you posted or are you just memeing?
>>
>>35019886
XM1158 7.62x51 ammo will go through level 4 plates
>>
What is velocity
>>
>>35020106
I carry a piece of ar500 glued to 4a ceramics front and back
>>
File: IMG_7085.png (141KB, 553x798px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7085.png
141KB, 553x798px
>>35020125
I was about to post the same thing, is OP retarded as well as a faggot?
>>
>>35020125
But you're putting that energy into a .3 area versus a .7 area. This makes the energy more effective for the smaller area. I think that's the point he was driving at.
>>
>>35019886
Simple answer: No.
Laws of physics, mate.

Evidence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnnLgmNVQ5I
>>
>>35020320
Change the projectile and it will
>>
the .308 will hit harder than the 12.
Even with the some energy
>>
>>35020359
>>35020370
if it did, the shooter would literally dislocate his shoulder with each shot as well.

No new energy is generated by the bullet, it just loses it.
>>
>>35020125
Not an argument
>>
>>35020382
The time to transfer the energy into the body is much shorter. I think the shockwave has more potential to break bones...

Its like makeing a sharped charge with TNT or C4
>>
Guys, hey
reminder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozqRR6dW3vE
>>
>>35020382
New bullet changes the penetration. Not all bullets exhibit the same terminal ballistics. There are 308 bullets that will penetrate type iv plates
>>
File: NIJ armor stats 02.jpg (415KB, 1628x641px) Image search: [Google]
NIJ armor stats 02.jpg
415KB, 1628x641px
>>35020431
Unless a penetration or massive cave-in happens, the plate absorbs and spreads the shock around its entire area, dampening the felt hit a great deal. If there's also soft panels behind the plate, you may literally feel nothing at all.

like said in the earlier video, it is indeed usually your own reaction and surprise about being hit that "knocks you down".

>>35020492
>There are 308 bullets that will penetrate type iv plates
I'd love to see that, as NIJ level 4 is designed to stop especially armor piercing variants of most common rifle- & intermediate rounds, including .30-06 AP rounds. Many of them are even rated to stop at least one .50cal BMG shot, though that behemoth of a bullet will almost certainly kill you none the less.
>>
>>35020527
XM1158
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.