[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happens to guns that get worn out beyond repair? Do they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: worn out gun.jpg (66KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
worn out gun.jpg
66KB, 480x640px
What happens to guns that get worn out beyond repair? Do they just get recycled for scrap? Is that what will happen to all these old Mosins once the barrels have eroded beyond hope and it's not worthwhile to try to rebarrel them?
>>
>>35016218
Just melt it down into blocks of steel and start over.
Maybe when that happens, everyone will move on to bolt action SCAR-H's.
>>
>>35016218
you bury it and mother nature reclaim it's iron to feed the plants

don't worry gun spirits ascend to gun heaven where they will get to spend eternity being fired by their most beloved masters within the Murder Cube sanctuary gun range where the ammo grows from trees and where you don't need ear pro cause your dead
>>
>>35016992
That doesn't seem bad at all. When I die, sign me up.
>>
>>35016218
You anoint it with the sacred oils, recite the Litany of Maintenance, and inter it in a Dreadnought.
>>
You sell them at a gun buyback.
>>
>>35016218
The same thing that happened to Model T Fords - they'll become "classic" antiques, owned by collectors, and boutique businesses will spring up to make new-build parts for things that wear out frequently. For example, new tires for your Model T will run you between $160-200 each (not for a set - for each individual tire) from Snyder's, but the kind of people who collect classic cars just simply accept those kinds of expenses as the cost of their hobby, and besides, it's not like they're driving their classics around enough to wear out those tires at the rate they wear out on a daily driver.

Someday, people will gladly pay $1000 for a new barrel for their Mosin, and they'll talk about how their grandpa bought that rifle for $70 waaaaaaay back in 2007.
>>
>>35016218
Some rifles will wear out with use and neglect, others will get stored away and forgotten and be devoured by rust and vermin, and some will be maintained by successive owners and fired on increasingly rare occasions. This last group of rifles are the type that linger on for centuries and it's where the current crop of 1700's muskets and rifles reside. Eventually even those rifles become attenuated with age and end up maintained and collected in private and public collections and you come to the preserved and catalogued examples of firearms going all the way back to the first handgonnes. Some entire models of firearm will disappear and leave no trace outside of technical data and preserved documentation, you can see this happening already with murky subjects such as Hungarian service rifles pre-Cold War. The general public has no idea they exist anymore. Others will end up being maintained by an aftermarket and collectors industry who will supply parts and technical information to keep them functional. In the end there's no definitive answer to this question and no one really knows where the future will lead, for all we know their might be a functional breakdown of society and every functional firearm suffers the fate of slow but inevitable failure with time or we may see a future where metallic 3D printing leads to a strange world of replica 1903A3's and M1s alongside vintage M91/30s and Kar98k's.
>>
>>35017136
>The same thing that happened to Model T Fords
They'll get melted down for WW2?
>>
>>35016218
>What happens to guns that get worn out beyond repair?
They are welded into the kube.
>>
>>35017136
Have you never bought tires before? 150-200 is normal for all cars
>>
File: 1504022526603.jpg (131KB, 600x502px) Image search: [Google]
1504022526603.jpg
131KB, 600x502px
>>35017089
>>
>>35016218
>Is that what will happen to all these old Mosins once the barrels have eroded beyond hope and it's not worthwhile to try to rebarrel them?

When that happened they got sold to /k/ ten years ago.
>>
>>35018318

Depends on the tire. 14-15" commuter tires are easily $50. 17"+ W-rated sports tire is closer to $200.
>>
>>35018318
i think you're overpaying
>>
>>35019098
Dont buy cheap tires unless you want to die
>>
>>35016992
Someone please draw this so I can blow it up and hang it over my bed
>>
>>35016218
either:

become just a display piece as part of a historical collection in a museum, private home or other building such as hanging on the walls of pubs and historic buildings.

or

melted down and made into something else, maybe a new gun

or

languish forgotten in a box or drawer
>>
File: EttEndaBloss.png (526KB, 608x446px) Image search: [Google]
EttEndaBloss.png
526KB, 608x446px
>>35016992
Are there any limitations as to capacity, full auto, caliber and so on in gun heaven?
I mean will scurry salt raffles be stopped at the pearly gates because of muh chilluns?
>>
>>35020159
Nope. No bans, no ATF, all are welcome
>>
>>35019098
If you buy a tire for less than $100 dollars you're buying absolute garbage chink tires
>>
>>35016218
They became part of the /k/ube
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.