[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Plate Carrier/Modern Armor Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 8

Recently purchased Condor Sentry/Spartan AR500 Swimmer plates. New to Plate Carriers/Body Armor. Share whatever experience you have with Personal Armor.
>>
Your plates are fine, sadly Condor is trash. I had one just for lulz and all and it took quite a beating, many more /k/ members have had worse issues and used them harder. It's fine for some pics etc but even camping use they don't hold up.

There will be some other anon who know PCs better and can help, but your plates are fine.
>>
File: 1342729582261.jpg (4MB, 2914x1943px) Image search: [Google]
1342729582261.jpg
4MB, 2914x1943px
Armor Carriers > plate carriers.

>kevlar protecting your torso, 360 degrees
>plates protecting your chest and spine from rifle shots
>sits tight and snuff on you if the size's right
>nice and warm during winter
>>
>>35016173
I also bought one for the lulz then immediately regretted it. I never even took the label off and will probably sell it to some airsoft kid. Now I am wondering what legit company to buy a PC from so I dont have to go through this reselling horse shit a second time
>>
>>35016233
Dat weight tho..

Rather get a soft vest and a plate carrier.
>>
>>35016136
Could've always consulted gq instead of being a retard
>>
>>35016173
The problem is that Condor is significantly cheaper than any other pc I can find online, usually by $100
>>
>>35016882
There's a reason for that bud...
>>
File: 1436933411319.jpg (14KB, 480x479px) Image search: [Google]
1436933411319.jpg
14KB, 480x479px
>>35016882

Yeah, you get what you pay for.

I mean, if you're just going to cosplay once or twice and put it in a closet, then you're golden.

If you want something that will last through more than very infrequent use, you'll have to dish out those greenbacks.
>>
>>35016136
>condor
hello newfag, enjoy your buyers remorse.
>>
>>35016882
But when you buy that condor carrier, for what? $130, then it falls apart, then you have to buy an actual plate carrier for ~$200, now you have spent over $100 more, than if you bought a good carrier in the first place.
>>
>>35017010
>very infrequent use
It's a vest that holds 10lb. plates, how does it only last 50 hours worth of wear time? Backpacks do that shit and last for years only costing $20
>>
>>35017034
Because all 10 lbs is pressing on ~8 square inches of fabric, where as a backpack has the objects that make the weight more spaced out, and less dense.
throw a plate in a normal backpack and watch it rip a hole in it in a few days/weeks.
>>
>>35017052
And you're telling me the difference between a pc that can and can't take that pressure for 'extended use' is $100? This seems like a fucking scam
>>
>>35017084
Believe what you want, I just hope the day doesn't come where your life depends on it.
>>
Eh, I got decent plates, I'll just get a better plate carrier when the time comes. lol
>>
File: 1IfV22t.jpg (40KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1IfV22t.jpg
40KB, 500x375px
>>35017084

You can think whatever you want, man, none of us actually care about you or your situation.

The request was for, "whatever experience you have with Personal Armor" and that experience was Condor PCs are cheap and don't last a long time.

No on has even explicitly stated what they're using for a PC, but I can probably guess it's not a Condor from the tone of the thread.
>>
File: DSCN9274.jpg (125KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9274.jpg
125KB, 800x600px
>>35016136
I have an osprey mk4 that I impulse bought. Not a big fan, it feels quite cheap and its overly reliant on velcro, collar is crap and an afterthought, so are the brassards, plus no dick protector, you have to get dem stupid ballistic diapers the brits make

I have a 6b43 and I absolutely love it, i love that it can close without velcro, the collar is pretty good considering it can be folded down (much better thought than the osprey's) and even has a quick release system. Plus the ergonmics are great, thanks to the weird cushion thingies on the sides i can honest to god handle my rifle better with the armor than without, back ridges help with the sling on marches. Soft body armor coverage is pretty cool and while i dont have them yet, i am told western hard plates will fit so it's preety awesome. Only negative is protection for arms and groin is next to impossible to find (the pockets yes but not the armor).

Also I a currently waiting for pic related that is being shipped to me. I can't give you direct experience but on paper it looks pretty cool. It's cut similar to the CIRAS but they threw in ancilliary protectors, and i like how well thought out they are: brassards are pretty low-pro and one piece with the collar, rigid but also removable, also they have ridges for the rifle sling. The dick protector can fold up and just get tucked inside. You also do get a quick release system. seller couldn't confirm me if it would fit us sized plates, but if it does (and i think it will) we could have ourselves a winner here
>>
>>35016136
The plares will stop rounds but they are gonna fuck you up when they do. Have some good padding between you and the plate. Closed foam works and wont soak up as much stink when you sweat. Second, realize that after the first hit or two the antispall coating is going to delaminate from the plate which means on any subsequent hits it's going to throw copper jacketting and lead bits into your arms, legs, and face. A soft armor insert in front of the plate can help with this. All that being said you're now wearing six inserts in you pc which is gonna hurt your movement. It's a game of compromises, no armor is perfect. Good luck op.
>>
>>35016136
Can someone tell me how HTC belts are not just a meme like fast food chains selling less food for a higher price, saying it tastes better?

CCW belts already do this super secret low profile garbage without the retarded added bulk
>>
>>35016233
Enjoy your heat stroke.
>>
>>35016882
Just save up and get a Mayflower APC.
>>
Also, I briefly wore a condor pc for lack of better options. After about 20hrs one of the side buckles sheared right off. Their stitching is abysmal.
>>
almost pulled the trigger on that AR-500 sale but
>condor
the plates weren't even marked down, just the made in china vest and accessories
>>
>>35017528
bulletproofme
level 4 ceramic plates, $118 per plate 12 pounds. For triple curved its around $340 for both plates. Basic standard plates at $118, there is no excuse not to use those.
>>
>>35017369
Are you talking about the whole system? You are mostly paying for kydex.

If you're talking about just the belt, they aren't very expensive.
>>
>>35017560
Well, I am going on mainly the idea of the HTC belt itself and that it is a solution trying to find a problem, especially sitting at less material for twice the money.
>>
>>35017544
Varustaleka carries some.decent plates that weigh half that and protect just as well.
>>
>>35017643

Nigga I just went there and the one Level IV plate they have is 250 euro PER-PLATE and each one weighs over 6 pounds. What are you smoking?
>>
>>35016752
>Dat weight tho..
Literally a non-issue, unless you're a anorectic girl.

>Rather get a soft vest and a plate carrier.
Armor carrier literally does the same, and can weight as little these days. Because, you know, it is practically the one and the same thing.

>>35017461
>Enjoy your heat stroke.
Drink more water / don't fool around in Fuckenistan countries.
>>
>>35016136
>>35016173
>>35016686

Buy Condor, restitch with high test fishing line. If you have a decent sewing machine this is very simple, or just stitch over what is there.
Mine is still fine 3 years later.
>>
>>35017643
that weight I gave is both plates together, not a single plate. Also, the price there is retardedly high compared to what I just listed.
>>
>>35016686
Blue Force Gear
>>
question here - is there any way that soft armor will stop rifle rounds if you use enough of it?
they don't really sell steel armor in my country
>>
>>35018336
There used to be demonstrations at shooting events where they would actually do this. It would take, SAFELY, 5-6 whole vests worth.
>>
>>35018353
Let me back up - I should say 6-8.
>>
>>35017368
>plates will fuck you up when they stop rounds
lrn2newton
>>
>>35018365
spalling
KYS common core retard
>>
>>35016136
Don't listen to these memeing shits
I've had a condor carrier for almost 2 years with zero issues
No my MOLLE isn't "irregular"
No the stitching isn't giving out
Yes it's comfortable
>>
>>35018386
Spalling was brought up separately in the post, the post also spoke of padding, implying "fucked up" from the impact.
either poster is an idiot, or bad a paraghaph construction.
>>
>>35017704
Switch the sight to usd and the price actually drops (no VAT). It's worth it.
>>
>>35018407
did you just read the first sentence of his post? he actually explains what he is talking about thoroughly in the following sentences. The plates in question, AR500, will stop rounds but they will fuck you up when they stop those rounds - statement > description > explanation
>>
>>35018357
is that really impractical?
how thick would that be?
>>
>>35018444
Yes, very impractical. kevlar is kinda shit against rifle rounds. it may even take more than that, and the type of vest, brand, and even rifle round shooting it changes how much you need
>>
>>35017544
>>35017643
>>35017704
No lie, I've found some sweet deals on plates from ebay. I got a pair of Armor Designs level 4 ceramics for $120 that are brand new and I got a TAP gamma plus for $36, that shit is level 3+ and weighs only like 2.9 pounds it's ridiculous.

Also OP, AR500 is shit and Condor is shit.
>>
>>35018537
Damn man, you got lucky as fuck. Anytime I look its always basic bitch level IIIs
>>
>>35018519
hm, bummer
i really would like to have something to protect myself against rifle rounds that wasn't steel
>>
>>35018594
Get ceramic plates then, even Aliexpress has them these days
>>
>>35018594
Ceramic rifle plates, man. You can get a set of IV plates for front and back for $240 which weighs a total of 12 pounds.
>>
>>35018601
>>35018614
interesting, thanks for the advice
now, i don't really want to wear a fuckhuge armor carrier, what's the smallest and most minimal you can go with ceramic plates?
>>
>>35018658
It depends on your size. You have to measure the plate sizes around your chest area. 8x10, 10x12 see which dimensions cover your chest from your collarbone down to the bottom of your sternum, or in the middle of your chest all the way down until the cartridge/bone area stops. After you know the right plate size, you can get an idea of plate carriers. Banshees used to be 1,000d cordura which was thick but heavy duty, but its down to 500 like all the rest now. As for what you should get? There are so many different types with so many different prices you should take the time and look them up for yourself. I tend to buy off of skdtac.com
>>
>>35018658
You can get a kevlar armor carrier that has pockets for plates, I know a lot of older vests have 6x6/6x8/8x8 pockets that cover basically just your heart and some of the lungs if you want super small. Otherwise look at "slick" plate carrier options from LBT/Ferro/Beez/etc.
>>
>>35017921
Or just don't buy trash? God damn

try AWS Inc for low cost options that aren't shit
>>
>>35018743
>>35019435
https://www.awsin.com/products.asp?id=104
OCPC
1000d
$150
>>
>>35018743
SKD TAC are major faggots and make you do a background check before selling you plates.
>>
File: 15428_2_am_ret.png (643KB, 1020x714px) Image search: [Google]
15428_2_am_ret.png
643KB, 1020x714px
>>35016173

What the DCS from Warrior ? Is Warrior a good company ?

pic related its the DCS from warrior
>>
>>35018658
Get a slick carrier
Pretty easy to find on Google
If you can't get ceramics from the US try China or Russia
>>
Any pc reccomendations for a turbo-manlet?
>>
>>35018365
Are you saying that the transfer of energy is completely absorbed by the plate? Are we making plates out of Captain Americas fucking shield now? Dumbass.
>>
Anyone here use a MAR-CIRAS?
Do the flaps overlap eachother when wearing balcs?
Do you wear sideplates with it? What size?
Do they overlap still with sideplates?
>>
>>35020956
>>35020989
>>
>>35021091
no shit nigger, maximizing my potential for answers.
>>
>>35020122
DCS is great and WAS is great as well. You really can't miss with the brand. Got my own for a few years now and never let me down. Plenty of PMCs use them.
>>
>>35018743
>tfw still have original 1000d Banshee I bought new for $120.

It's built like a tank.
>>
>>35017819
>don't fool around in Fuckenistan countries.

Not the Anon you replied to but our military has a current hard on for the sandbox so we don't really have a choice you larping faggot
>>
>>35023105
sucks to be you.
My country's temperatures are below zero 75% of the year, so I'm good.
>>
>>35020122
This is what I use and I love it. The quailty is very good. Bought one for my dad since his was a condor. Right away he said he could feel and tell the DCS was far better then Condor shit.
>>
>>35025503
enjoy your larping fantasies yurocuck
>>
>>35025912
a reservist's "fantasies" are all about preparing for real deal occupation attempts of a hostile nation. Which is not too far fetched once again this day and age.
>>
>>35026106
big daddy merica got you :^)
>>
>>35026182
I highly doubt that.
If anything, yer big daddy is just one of the many potential assaulters. Feels good to be on a pre-emptive 2-B-Nuked lists in case of Soviet tank-rush.
>>
>>35017544
You should consider checking out Armour Wear. They have a sale going on right now for 2 multi-curve level 4 ceramic/PE for $200, thats only $100/plate. The plates are 10 x 12's but are actually pretty close to medium SAPI cut and only comes in at 7lbs. Also, its made in america and appears to pretty solid with pretty minimal back face deformation when shot.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.