[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Balisong/butterfly knife discussion thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: pirateskullbfly.jpg (46KB, 922x691px) Image search: [Google]
pirateskullbfly.jpg
46KB, 922x691px
I am noob so asking veterans and pros out there

>is balisong master race or a disgrace?
>(dis)advantages against other knife types
>are there different types of balisongs?
>what to look/look out for when buying one?
>can you, like, throw it like other knives?

Please discuss
>>
Master race? No.
Disadvantages are they're normally outlawed in most places for gang affiliation and they're pretty flimsy and are difficult to deploy.
I think there are different sizes and blade types, but still the same operation.
Find one that is well built and not made out of chinesium, maybe with a dull blade cause you're most likely gonna just sit at your desk or around the house flipping it around, since it's the classic edgy teenager's fidget spinner.
Just like anything, it can be thrown. Balisongs especially, into the trash.
>>
>>35011427
They are great fun.
>>
>>35011452
>>35011452
>and are difficult to deploy

Not particularly.

In the end you can fuck someone up with a Philips screwdriver but balisongs are cracking fun.

Into the thrash your post goes.
>>
File: Balisong_Trick.jpg (65KB, 749x562px) Image search: [Google]
Balisong_Trick.jpg
65KB, 749x562px
>>35011427
most times are slippery... donno wanna cut your wanking hando when stabbing something.
allso banned because people hurt themselfs, not because hurt others, see picture for trick move
>>
>>35011427
>(dis)advantages against other knife types
disadvantages: small, difficult and potentially dangerous to use, illegal in many placed
advantages: easy to conceal and carry around
>>
Disgrace, but fun toy and conversation piece
All, except maybe a butter or bread knife
Yes
Get a benchmade, end of discussion
You should never throw any knife for any reason except at a block of wood as a bar trick, and no, you cannot
>>
>>35013407
This isn't why they are banned. They're banned because they were in some popular 70s and 80s movies. Same reason all weapons are banned, at least in America.
>>
>>35011452
the trash joke made me chuckle. but if you try to throw it the latch will prbably undo and flail around like an autistic /b/tard
>>
>>35011452
>they're pretty flimsy
a well built balisong has arguably the strongest type of lockup since it's impossible for the blade to close without the handles or tang pin snapping, which is far less likely than a liner/framelock failing.

>and are difficult to deploy,
confirmed having never gotten even slightly proficient with one
>>
disgraceful but I own some anyway

>advantage
none now that most folding knives have thumb studs or similar. They were advantageous in ye olden days when most knives used nail nicks and needed two hands to open.

>disadvantages
less reliable opening. Like try opening one to do work when you're on your back and gravity is pulling the handles at a different angle. And slower opening - total time spent unlatching and flipping is longer than thumbing a spydie or flipping a flipper, despite how 'fast' the knife moves.

>what to look/look out for when buying one?
Any Chinese trainer first to see if you're actually interested in flipping. Ebay or aliexpress for under $5. I actually like the cheapo comb trainers because the prongs on the comb bite so I can feel when I mess up. Then Bear and Son for a budget knife. Benchmade for good stuff. Preferably get one with a spring latch, or mod on a spring latch, it's so much better not having the got damn latch get in the way of the handles closing.

Blade HQ actually just did a vid buying guide, which is basically just the leddit guide in video form. Still good. Tall Asian dude makes a good trainer that's popular in the community which is why he's a guest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erWzrzP_SIc&t=395s

>can you throw it
if it's pinned you're gunna wear out the pins early.
>>
>>35011427

They're fun to fidget with and do tricks with and that's the extent of their appeal. Other knives typically do knife stuff better than butterfly knives.
>>
>>35015387
In Europe often self inflictited injuries or gang affiliation are the reasons why they are banned in the countries
>>
>>35011427
>double-edged balisong

now THAT's edgy. And painful. Balisongs are single edged, or you can't do shit with them except a latch drop.

They're fun to fool around with (take that, fidget spnners), but compared to a modern folder, there are no advantages - balis are more troublesome to deploy, their blade geometry tends to be inferior, and modern locks are strong enough.
>>
>>35015479
>slightly proficient
That's the thing. Compared to a normal manual opener, you need to be a fucking expert. Any monkey can move his thumb forward but to open a balisong like one should be opened you need to train with it.
>>
>>35011452
>they're pretty flimsy
For a $20 yeah
>and are difficult to deploy.
Not at all

>I think there are different sizes and blade types, but still the same operation.
And here is where we really go off the rails

>Find one that is well built and not made out of chinesium, maybe with a dull blade cause you're most likely gonna just sit at your desk or around the house flipping it around, since it's the classic edgy teenager's fidget spinner.
Tape and trainer blades, also balisongs are general purpose edc blades in the Philippines

OP didn't ask for Ill informed shitposting
>>
>>35015346
They're no smaller or more difficult/dangerous to use than any other folding knife. The user is under no obligation to do 30 seconds of sweet shaolin choreography to open a box or cut an Apple. There's a bite handle and a safe handle, use them appropriately or use two hands
>>
>>35018582
>more difficult/dangerous to use than any other folding knife.
Literally any regular folding knife will require less effort and less instruction. Even the most basic flip requires more work than thumbing a folder.
>>
File: IMG_20141101_025100_218.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141101_025100_218.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>first time I ever posted on 4chan picture

Something about their shape makes them very easy to lose. They're a great fidget spinner, and the expensive ones are great all purpose knifes.
>>
>>35015479
>Confirmed blah blah you never even owned one
If you need to whip out a knife mid confrontation you are generally more screwed than with just about any other knife because it doesn't have a sturdy handle until you flip it open.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.