[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New Jersey Gun Registration

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

File: map.gif (20KB, 258x364px) Image search: [Google]
map.gif
20KB, 258x364px
I don't post on /k/ too often, but I've decided to become a gun owner. I live in a shit tier state, New Jersey, where I need to file heaps of paperwork to register for firearms. I'm requesting some words of wisdom from those who can impart it, regarding the potential for being denied my right to bear arms. I'm scheduled to get finger printed and questioned in two weeks.

I'm 20 years old and commute to college. I also work, and I live with my mom. I'm curious about a few factors that may get me denied, if anyone knows.

>I used to visit a psychiatrist for depression in my mid teens
>my mom has had several DUIs, and is losing her license for a bit

Will either of these factors get me denied? Will they ask if I have visited a mental health professional? Do I need to tell them?

If thread doesn't die I'll also ask some advice for buying first firearms. I've done some homework and visited a local shop, and will probably get a Bushmaster AR and a Browning 20 gauge as my first two.
>>
File: 6q8uvmnijyoy.jpg (37KB, 634x416px) Image search: [Google]
6q8uvmnijyoy.jpg
37KB, 634x416px
self bump
>>
>>35011344
No they will not
>>
>>35011398
Are you sure? I thought they took into account who you reside with. The main thing I'm worried about is my mom's DUIs, which they could use to "prove" that there's an alcoholic in the residence

Appreciate any help
>>
>>35011412
Neither your moms DUI or your depression or therapist will affect your ability to get guns in NJ. Only if you got a DUI or if you were committed for mental health, not if you seek help voluntarily
>>
>>35011412
Your mom isn't you, so you should be fine. Just don't be a diagnosed alcoholic or do crimes.
>>
>>35011344
Fellow NJ anon here. Nothing you told us should prevent you from getting a FPID as of right now (when Murphy gets in is another story all together).

As far as getting a Bushmaster AR, they are banned by name. Same with Colt. Any other company is good to go (just follow the feature bans). For magazines, Hexmag makes an affordable 15 round magazine that are relatively easily convertible for when you escape the state.
>>
File: 2dd.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
2dd.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
>>35011438
Good, cause I got a high when I held that AR for the first time my man. I was gonna be seriously pissed if my mom's fuck ups got me denied. Or some depression after a stupid highschool break up.

What's the consensus on Browning shotguns? I always hear about Mossberg or Rermington, but haven't heard much on Browning. Worth it for first shotgun? It's 450.

>>35011475
That's good. I've got a clean record besides a speeding ticket and a parking ticket
>>
>>35011482
>Bushmaster is banned

Is that true? The store I went to was willing to sell me a Bushmaster with a laser sight for 850. Little mom and pop shop hidden in my town
>>
File: Njstateconstitutionmeme.jpg (218KB, 926x771px) Image search: [Google]
Njstateconstitutionmeme.jpg
218KB, 926x771px
>>35011344
Hello fellow /eternalsufferer/. Firstly, no your mom's record doesn't have any effect on your ability to get a gun, neither does visiting a psychiatrist. Finallly, get a 12 gauge instead of a 20.
t. I'mInImmensePainPleaseHelp
>>
>>35011502
They probably don't know or it has been in the state forever and no one has noticed yet. Here is the exact law, it lists many different guns by name.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/062408_title13ch54.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiP6bXRq_3VAhUMBcAKHT9lDoIQFgglMAA&usg=AFQjCNFwyYNkHr0J3wgJItGuwBfmB-VdnA
>>
File: 1481280713847.jpg (7KB, 219x219px) Image search: [Google]
1481280713847.jpg
7KB, 219x219px
>>35011523
>mfw I've never seen the NJ version of this

I thought about that, but I figured I'd get a cheaper 20 gauge first that I can practice with and have in my closet until I decide to upgrade. Figured the lower recoil would make it good for practice, and even if I don't have the 12 gauge and someone tries to break in, 20 gauge buckshot will down them
>>
I grew up in Bergen County, NJ and moved to California when I was 20. All I can say is that NJ gun laws give me a deep appreciation for California. Bad as things may be here, they ain't *that* bad!
>>
>>35011604
From a born and raised Californian, our laws suck in different ways and we have some shady ass politicians in Sacramento. Still glad we don't have all the same rules as NY/NJ.
>>
>>35011604
>Californian is grateful to be out of New Jersey

We're really that fucked aren't we?
>>
>>35011552
Thunder Mountain in Ringwood is a good place to shoot skeet and see what you like as far as shotguns. I used to shoot there as a kid.
>>
>>35011680
We really are. The FPID card system is completely corrupt in how long they act take (until the NJ2AS went at it, over a year was not heard of). I have a friend from college that got his pistol permit the day it was to expire, after he was repeatedly told it was not ready, even within the 90 days of the permit being "signed" (the permit was dated well before he was able to pick it up).

There is no way to get a carry permit unless you are a cop, judge, politician or know the second two.

Our AWB has not gotten worse because for some reason Christie thought he had a chance at a bigger political position.

Our own antique law is ignored by the state police (they literally interpreted the "or"s to be "and"s).

If you are caught with a gun in your car and you can not prove you are on your way to a range, gun store or on your way home from either of those two places, the cop can and often will fuck you up. The cops also will search your car, then look for a reason.

And for you out of staters, the state has repeatedly not respected the FOPA, and has arrested multiple individuals traveling throu the state with a gun in their car.
>>
>>35011680
You were fucked in 1981 when I also left Bergen County. Nothing in Jersey is good except Italian food, and that's not worth the hassle, the taxes, the traffic, the corruption or the insane and rising cost of living.
>>
>>35011482

NJ Resident, i have a bushmaster. It's not a problem, the list is vague and does not refer to a particular model number, only "assault rifle". All bushmaster needed to do was to not call it an "assault rifle" and *poof*, problem solved.
>>
>>35011844
When I was growing up in Bergen County in the late 70s through the 80s, there was still a lot of working class left there. That's all gone now - the whole place is just one big bedroom community for Wall Street. The Sopranos nailed a lot of what it was like in the old days - not as in mobsters running around shooting each other, but all the little touches of how it looked and felt. All gone, and not coming back.

Sadly, the same has happened to California. This isn't the same state I moved to in 1994. The state then was liberal but not crazy, diverse but not a refugee ship, pricy but not astronomical. That's all gone, too, and I'm thinking that pretty soon I should be gone as well. All my friends have left within the past couple of years - to Oregon, Michigan, Texas - and as much as I love what this place was, it just isn't that anymore. I spent part of the summer in eastern Tennessee around Gatlinburg and Sevierville, and I really liked it. I think another move is in my future soon.
>>
>>35011344
Wow are u guy fucked.
i'm in NC, they run a background check on you, if you clear, you can buy anything except full auto, and u can get that license too.
ccw permit holder here too, i can go to a gun store or gun show, show my ccw permit and buy a hand gun no prob.
You guys need to fix your unconstitutional state gov.
>>
>>35012186
I live in Somerset. It's really a crossroads. Some upscale affluent suburbs (that's me actually), some spic areas, driving distance (Newark, etc) to nigger areas. Working class/middle class white areas.

I always got along best with guys from the working class areas though. Never liked most of the folks in my exact neck of the woods.
>>
>>35012209
How long does the background check take?

Just curious
>>
>>35012255
Depends on your local PD, every one is different. They're supposed to have it to you in 30 days, you would be lucky to get it that fast in most towns. Some are 90 days and there's nothing you can do about it. Just plan and file all your shit in advance and you'll be fine. When buying long guns, stick to face to face sales through forums. You'll thank me later.
>>
The application asks if I've been observed by a Psychiatrist. Do I have to put down the psychiatrist I saw in high school? Will they find out about it if I say no?
>>
>>35011770
Black River in Chester has nice little out of the way range too. Just need to show up, set up and pew pew pew.
>>
File: 1503888156763.jpg (4MB, 3900x5008px) Image search: [Google]
1503888156763.jpg
4MB, 3900x5008px
>>35011344
Poorfag buyers' guide. Specifically for home defense, but if you want shotties or any firearm for cheap there's still some good shit here.
>>
>>35012255

Monmouthfag
Both towns I lived in took 30 days. But one town is DEEP Red and I work for the PD in the other but we usually get FID cards out in 30 days. Some towns have extraneous bullshit forms they want you to fill out (Wall), one call to the Troopers and that got sorted real quick. As much as NJSP Firearms can be real dicks, they like being the only dicks and don't take kindly to locals stepping on their turf

But yeah, face to face sales of long rifles.... And but an 80% lower now. It is still possible to ghost gun in NJ
>>
File: IMG_1586.jpg (58KB, 658x529px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1586.jpg
58KB, 658x529px
>>35011344
>>
What are the chances that your paperwork will be pushed through faster if you work for a federal agency? Asking for a friend
>>
Literally just left NJ to move to Oklahoma. The fucking piece of shit state can rot.
>>
fort lee here. my application took 6 months. this state really sucks. wish i could leave but my career currently keeps me here.
>>
>>35011487
>AR
>NJ

Got some bad news for ya...

>but they're by name
NJ doesn't care, even if it is a lookalike they might get you charged. I wish I was fucking joking.
>>
Similar story here anon. I am disclosing I visited a psych for depression. I got a 2a lawyer and a 2a psych to ramrod it through with an attestation that I am fit to bear arms from psych and lawyer threatening to sue if it took more than 30 days. I am going on a buying spree before Murphy gets elected.
>>
>>35015797
This is factually incorrect. So long as it complies with the "no more than one spooky feature" rule it's legal to own.
>>
File: unknown.png (545KB, 798x690px) Image search: [Google]
unknown.png
545KB, 798x690px
>>35011552

just shoot 12ga target loads and recoil will be manageable if you aren't a dwarf
>>
>>35011344
Jesus Fucking Christ! You should not be allowed to own a gun. And you have the balls to call New Jersey "shit tier state?" It's a shit tier state because of shit tier white trash like you. Just out of curiosity, you are not North East Jersey, right?
>>
>>35013039
If it was court mandated or the school was involved, it might be a problem but if you went on your own accord you should be fine
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.