[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Caliber Diversification vs. Unification

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: Common-Bullet-Sizes-1024x568.jpg (183KB, 1024x568px) Image search: [Google]
Common-Bullet-Sizes-1024x568.jpg
183KB, 1024x568px
From a SHTF perspective, I've been trying to minimize the number of different calibers in order to stockpile. Currently hoarding 5.56, 9mm, and 12GA since they seem to be the most plentiful, common calibers in the US.

Amount that I'm willing to invest in new guns is really the key factor, but would it make sense to also include some meme calibers that may not be as plentiful, but would be sought out less than others, or am I better off owning multiple guns in the same caliber?
>>
>>35008213
I personally would skip 9mm, add .22LR and .308 and reloading supplies. I'm not a big PREPPER guy but if SHTF I don't see much use in a handgun, if you've got a pistol carbine then that would probly work fine anyway.
>>
stock up on 22lr. lowest common denominator and due to its price and small size, it's the easiest to stockpile. makes a great currency after SHTF.
>>35008289
I think reloading supplies would be useful, too, after the stockpiles of factory ammo get used up. Diversity is strength lole!!
>>
>>35008213
Just stockpile the chamberings you like the most.
>>
>>35008289
>in SHTF I don't see much use in a handgun
Are you fucking retarded? Rethoric question.
>>
>>35008464
Handguns are dumb, if you can carry a long gun there is absolutely no use for them.
>>
>>35008471
Oh, you're LARPing.
>>
>>35008483
They exist solely for recreation and defense without a long gun on your person. Completely pointless if you are actually carrying one.
>>
>>35008520
I'll bite, then why does Delta, MARSOC, SAS, etc. All carry a side arm?
>>
>>35008520
And what are you going to be using your long gun for during """""SHTF"""""? Offensive purposes?
>>
>no 13mm tankgewehr
Tsk
>>
>>35008552
I honestly don't know, I can't imagine they fucking use them outside the range.

>>35008558
Same shit you'd use a handgun for, plus everything else. Why wouldn't you carry a rifle if you needed a gun and could openly carry a rifle without getting hassled?
>>
>>35008471
SMGs
>>
>>35008792
Are SMGs handguns now?
>>
>>35008213
>not hoarding as many different types of ammunition as you can and owning at least 2 guns for every caliber
what happens if you start an apocalypse family and only have one(x3) guns you stupid shit.
>>
>>35008801
Technically those would be called a machine pistol
>>
Handguns and Rifles are Passe its all about the SBR
>>
>>35008812
>>35008816
I've considered one of those select fire glock mods in a carbine kit but I dunno if it'd be worth it. Those things fire too fucking fast.
>>
>>35008552
Ahh the classic "appeal to current times" fallacy

Why DO they use them? Or do you really think a force on force fighting unit needs the same loadout as a SHTF prepper.

It's like you don't even know what specific mission loadouts are and just want "The army man loadout"
>>
>>35008834
Ah the classic "I'm a LARPer pretending Fallout is real life fallacy"
>>
>>35008213
In most SHTF scenarios (in the US), you are looking at just being armed is enough deterrent to keep anybody from fucking with you. It really doesn't matter what you have, as long as you have something. Also you won't be scavenging anything if you prepared anywhere near enough, instead you will be more worried about losing what you have.

An example of a realist scenario woul be right after a hurricane hits, you may end up with looters wondering around looking to get whatever. If you are armed and they see it, they will most likely move on to the next house, as they don't want to get shot.
>>
>>35008213
Mainly this depends on what kind of scenario you want to prepare for. If you're looking really long term, as in back to BP it makes sense to look at things like 45-70, 45LC. When we're back to BP a lever action 45-70 is worth more than an AR and a 45 revolver more than a 9m pistol. On the other hand if you're looking at a hard brief scrabble, more mags and more 5.56 is probably a better choice. How much do you see yourself shooting? Is another question, if you're shooting enough you might start casting. If you start casting, pistol bullets are more forgiving than rifle bullets. A PCC might even be cheaper to feed than a 22. Better for training and you can keep it fed longer.

Really this gets too complicated for any one answer. Your base answer of 5.56, 9mm and 12 gauge is a solid start. I'd add a full size rifle cartridge and concentrate on mastering them and keeping them fed. And if you don't have a lot of training, attend an appleseed while you're at it. Making noise is less useful than using to good effect.
>>
>>35008213
It really depends on your own collection and needs. If you want to maximize availability in a low ammo environment, stick with NATO rounds. 7.62x51, 5.56, 9mm, 12 GA. Civilian hunting rounds like .22 are useful for practice and small game, and maybe scaring looters, but against even lightly geared adversaries is likely inadequate.

Older rounds like 45-70 and anything designed for black powder would be ideal for a long term supply chain disruption, assuming you are able to make your own black powder, and have reloading gear. Ammo is just one part of a long term preparedness equation however, simple things like rifle cleaning supplies and oil can act as force multipliers in the right circumstances.

Ex, many insurgents in the ME never clean their AK's, much less remove literally years of copper buildup in some cases. They're lucky to hit a house sized target at long range, meanwhile US troops are shooting 2-4MOA all day every day because they keep their rifles maintained.
>>
>>35008816
good luck penetrating anything
>>
>>35008213
There's two main routes in my head.
>stock up heavily on your most used caliber(s)
>diversify so you can always find ammo for at least a few of your guns
I like the latter myself more because the only realistic scenario is another ammo panic, in which case the more common calibers you shoot the better IMO. I've never had a time when I can't find at least a few of the main 5 centerfire rifle calibers or 12ga, and at pretty normal prices.
But preferably do a combination of both where you have some diversity to start with, but mostly stockpile for your most used/useful guns.
>>
>>35008213
>From a SHTF perspective
>>35008213

You need to spend more on anxiety treatments go out and range shoot more and make some buddies and get off the fucking net reading doomer crap.

There's your diversification.
>>
>>35008213
40 is still in use in a lot of places. It hasnt been phased out completely just yet and it's only a few cent per round more than 9mm. Can also have a barrel for 357 Sig but I doubt handguns will be used so much that you're down to a 357 conversion barrel because you've used ALL your 9mm and 40
>>
It depends. Hoard ammunition for your common calibers for sure. But you can also have other calibers that you only hoard ammunition for after you've hoarded ammunition for your common calibers. You'll never be able to scrounge ammunition. The last panic proved that. But that's no reason not to have a shitload of different calibers.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.