[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My desires are...antiquated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: bess1.jpg (35KB, 918x167px) Image search: [Google]
bess1.jpg
35KB, 918x167px
Ever since I was a little kid who saw a reenactment of the battles of Lexington and Concord, I have wanted my very own Brown Bess. Anybody own one or a similar firearm? Anybody know the cheapest place to get a decent reproduction? Currently looking at getting a demilled one and drilling out the touch hole.
>>
>>34989841
Pedersolis the only one i know of
>>
>>34989869
Add Miroku of Japan
Kits are available from The Rifle Shoppe and Track of the Wolf.
>>
File: long musket is looooooooong.jpg (38KB, 940x150px) Image search: [Google]
long musket is looooooooong.jpg
38KB, 940x150px
Here's some solid entry-level muskets for not-stupid prices. No gunsmithing needed. I've seen some vids of them being used, they work fine.

http://www.veteranarms.com/ReproductionMuzzleloadersandFlintlocks/Muskets.html
>>
>>34989983
>Indiashit

Enjoy your bandsaw muzzle finish.

Buy a Pedersoli if you want a good gun out of the box, OP. The Rifle Shoppe makes the best kits, but they sell said kits as unfinished castings. So unless you want to do all the finishing work yourself, the Pedersoli will be cheaper.
>>
File: matchlock1.jpg (36KB, 996x181px) Image search: [Google]
matchlock1.jpg
36KB, 996x181px
>>34990024

OP asked for cheap, I gave him cheap. Still shoots fine tho.

Also enjoy waiting an entire fucking year for the The Rifle Shoppe to finish your order

>tfw I wanted to get a matchlock kit from them but heard about the wait times
>>
>>34990024
Honestly I'd just be dicking around with it I'm fine with a bandsaw muzzle finish. I'm not a reenactor and most of my range time will still be with modern firearms. Thanks for the input tho.
>>
>>34989983
Thanks for the link. I'm inherently skeptical of "Veteran Arms" but we'll see. I'm surprised at how much even the cheap ones are desu.
>>
File: MEL_right.jpg (27KB, 1565x365px) Image search: [Google]
MEL_right.jpg
27KB, 1565x365px
>>34990297

Yeah I feel you on the name there but from what I've heard they're alright. The other option is Middlesex Village Trading Company, but they are slow as fuck. I ordered pic related from them back in January. Been watching my name inch its way up their waiting list since then. Expect up to a year turnover time from them.

I've heard Veteran Arms is about the same in terms of quality but has better customer service and ships much faster since their whole operation isn't one old guy in a shop by himself.
>>
>>34990361
I prefer Middlesex Village. They check for reliability and utility, so you get something that actually works. Veteran Arms might do the same, but I can verify that Middlesex definitely does.
>>
>>34991356
Did you order anything from them? How long did you have to wait?
>>
>>34991903
Yeah, I bought a bronze barrelled blunderbuss and a fusil de chasse from them a couple of years ago. The wait, at that time, was maybe one week plus shipping time. After replacing the teak stocks with walnut (for weight savings and to guard against cracks), I've had no problems with them at all beyond normal flintlock stuff. However, like the other anon mentioned, they've recently downsized their employees, so I have no idea what the wait time is now. Best way to find out is to give them a call and ask.
>>
>>34989983
India repro. Get a kit from Jim Chambers or pecatonica rifle
>>
>>34993062
Ah, I'm on my third week of waiting for a doglock blunderbuss from them and I've only moved about 10 spaces on their shared order list. Seems like it might take months.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>34989841
I have an Indian made one
>>
Why can flintlock rifles be found for under 250 but muskets are 600+?
>>
Anyone know of one of the small shops doing Whitworths? Or is it jsut Parker-Hales/Penderlsoli?
>>
>>34993859
Where does one find flintlock rifles for under 250?
>>
>>34993848
Where did you get it from? I'm sorry, I'm pretty new to this.
>>
>>34994070
Pedersoli technically makes one, but I'd hold out for a Parker-Hale if you can find one. There is a noticeable difference in quality.

>>34993859
Interest in smoothbore flintlock guns is kind of a new thing. Until just a few years ago the only people who really wanted one were reenactors, and they all wanted a generic Brown Bess or Charlesville (?). Everyone else wanted a big fucking Hawken rifle. It's the same way with small caliber rifles and long barrelled fowlers.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.