[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cheap .308 Bolt Action for a Eurofag.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Winchester XPR.jpg (1013KB, 5434x1335px) Image search: [Google]
Winchester XPR.jpg
1013KB, 5434x1335px
Hello /k/ommandos, I recently brought a friend of mine to the range and he shot my Mauser and my range buddy's Remington 700. He's now quite interested in getting a rifle himself. He's looking for a cheap, realiable, scope mountable .308 rifle, probably with synthetic stock. We've been looking at the options and something like a Winchester XPR seems to be what we're aiming for. You can get one of those new for ~550€. He plans on spending around 300€ on a scope for it. You guys have any recommendations? Keep in mind we're in Austria so some rifles that are cheap in the US aren't cheap here. Pic related is the XPR and roughly what he wants.
>>
If you buy cheap shit, you're going to regret it. 308 isn't 22, the barrel heats up very quickly and precision takes a toll.
Bare minimum to have fun with a 308 rifle is Rem 700 with a heavy barrel. Same thing for scopes, don't buy chinkshit. Aim for Vortex/Leupold/Bushnell Elite series.

700s are customizable with competition and tactical stocks down the road.
>>
>>34989407
>>34989407
Hm, from what I've read the XPR seems pretty good. He's also thinking about a Howa 1500. Doesn't Remington have some quality problems since their takeover? My buddy's 700 is pretty nice but I think that was pre-takeover. I know that cheap scopes are shit but around 300 should get him something decent. It's not like he's aiming for perfect accuracy. He just wants something decent that works and is good for weekend paper shooting. He wants to spend around 900€ on Rifle+Scope around christmas. He's going to use his bonus to buy it. He's considering the XPR because it costs right around 900€ from a reputable gun store with a Walther PRS 2,5-15x50 scope. That decent?
>>
>>34989534
The Howa 1500 is a really good option. Get one with a thicker barrel, and you're set. You can doll it up with all manner of aftermarket parts to turn it into what he wants.
For a scope,
...Then he'll shoot it for a while and wish he had paid extra for a Blaser R8 and a Swarovski scope instead of the no doubt perfectly fine one he has, but that's buyer's remorse for you.
>>
Anyone have experience with musgrave rifles. It's a South African brand, and I think it's build from a Mauser 98k action. Similar price to tikkas
>>
>>34989692
Sorry, for a scope, consider what his needs are. Smaller scopes with lower magnification will be lighter, cheaper and less good in low light, while the opposite is true for larger scopes with high magnification.
That said, a scope isn't just a scope, and glass quality will matter. Vortex is good and can be had for rather cheap, even new, but a used Zeiss Diavari, Conquest or Victory, Swarovski, Leica or Schmidt und Bender will be better.
>>
>lives in austria
>doesnt buy Steyr
Spend 600~ Euros more and get a good 308 rifle.
>>
>>34989733
Even used Steyr rifles cost like 2000 euros. You'd think they'd be cheaper, but they're not.
>>
Tikka is probably the best mid range bolt gun on the market
>>
>>34991644
Yeah they make some excellent rifles, but they overshoot his budget by quite a bit. I'd say he has around 600-700€ available for a rifle and 300-400€ for a scope. Shouldn't really exceed 1000€
>>
>>34989390
Milsup rifles are available in Eurostan for cheap, even if they're not in 308 he could get cheap a cheap mosin or k31.

Howa are great considering what you get for what you pay for. Also :
T I K K A
I
K
K
A
>>
>>34991863
Oh I'm already on the Milsurp train. I got an M48A, which I'm currently selling to get a K98k.

I can't recommend him to get a mosin, I handled one and they just aren't that nice. Ammo price for 8x57, .303, 7,62x54R, .30-06 and such is roughly equal so there's not even the cheap ammo incentive.

I actually really want a K31 but GP11 is unicorn tier here, even though we actually share a border with Switzerland. Thankfully S&B is bringing 7,5x55 Swiss FMJs to the market now so K31 is probably my next purchase after the K98k.

Thing is, he's not really a fan of milsurp and iron sights. He wants something modern, low price, with scope and synthetic stock. The Winchester XPR and the Ruger American would be in budget and fit that, that's why I mentioned the XPR. Tikkas start at around ~1500€ without scope so they're out.
>>
>>34990406
literally 850 for pro hunter 308
>>
>>34991980
That's the US price.

Sadly us Austrians don't get that. I can't even find the Pro Hunter on the Steyr website, only the Pro Varmint. I looked around and even if I can find a listing for the Pro Hunter it costs around 1600€ without scope. The Pro Varmint isn't any better, actually more expensive. There literally isn't a Steyr, Remington or Tikka available under like 1300€.

It's retarded that we pay more in Austria for Steyr than people in the US. We get pretty shafted with new small arms prices.

Milsurp is still pretty ok though. Can get K98s, K31s, Mosins, Enfields, M95s for under 500€. Can also get Lugers under 700€ and P38s under 400€.

Although, some people think their fudded old Mausers are worth over 1000€.
>>
>>34992106
oh wow, didn't really assume you would have to overpay for a product made in your own country. Good luck on the rifle hunt anon.
>>
I do not have any experience with the Winchester XPR. But I do have some with the Savage Axis. However I do not know if it is on the European market. It feels and looks cheap but shoot well. The Ruger American would be a step up from the Exis in my opinion.

As for Scopes I am familiar with most US brand optics so I could recommend lower end Vortex, Leopold, Nikons and Bushnells. Stick to big names when it comes to low price scopes.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.