[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/meg/ - Military Enlistment General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 364
Thread images: 19

File: IMG_1948.jpg (470KB, 1400x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1948.jpg
470KB, 1400x1000px
Dudeboatslmao edition.

>Discord
https://discordapp.com/invite/ZJPxxTj

>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

>http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/prerequ/woft.shtml
US Army High school to Flight school

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

>Should I go Navy Enlisted Nuke???
No.
http://i.imgur.com/FZ0Q9q4.png
tl;dr: Long hard school, to do shitty work, and the job prospects are a lie.

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253
>>
>go infantry
>use GI bill when I get out
My recruiter thinks this is a bad idea so he wants me to go Embassy Guard or do something in finances.

My idea isn't a bad one right? He's just bullshitting so he can hit some quota, right?
>>
>>34988948
why do you want to go infantry in the first place?
>>
>>34988948
>infantry
>peace time
What do you think you'll be doing?
>>
>>34988948
>He's just bullshitting so he can hit some quota, right?
You can safely assume this is true for everything your recruiter does, most of the time.

Your plan is fine. That being said, make sure infantry is what you really want to do. You typically need more motivation than "I want free college" to endure the bullshit.
>>
>>34989015
would you say that is true for the chairforce as well? what about the reserves?
>>
>>34989020
Which part are you referring to?
>>
>>34989058
sorry, "more motivation than free college"
>>
>>34989106
No. Practically any Air Force job would have a higher quality of life than 13b/0311. The reserves suck but you don't have to deal with it every day. Either one of those options is easier to handle than active duty infantry.
>>
>>34988948

It IS a bad idea, but it is also your choice to make.

Most of the reasons people have for going infantry are stupid teenager reasons. It has almost no redeeming qualities in peacetime.
>>
How much will getting EMT quals before going Corpsman help an individual. Plus having an Associates degree.
>>
To Open Contract-anon from the last thread: make sure to keep us updated on what happens!
>>
Any recruiters in with some insight? I want to re-enlist after I got an uncharacterized discharge from basic 4 years ago. I didn't have a behavior issue or anything, I just had a panic attack, (my first and only ever) my battle buddy ratted on me, and my drill sergeants made me feel like I had done something wrong and convinced me that if I didn't quit I'd get sent to Leavenworth or they'd keep me in an HQ unit for my 4 years of service. It's been eating at me like a plague ever since then. I have an RE3 JGA on my 214. I've been told it's doable but hard. I would want to enlist into the infantry as active duty- my first attempt was military police in the army national guard. If I'm really hard charging about this, you guys think it would work? I'd probably have to get a couple tats lasered off as well.

I feel like I need this. I feel like I had been cheated of my original dream and even though I've had a stable and well paying job for the last 2 years, I always wonder what could have been and the idea of furthering my career in what I currently do doesn't excite me at all.

I can elaborate more if need be as well- I understand this stuff is highty situationally dependent

What do you guys think? Are there any tips that you have for me to maximize my chances of success? I figure if I just keep hammering at a recruiter or 7, eventually I can hit paydirt.
>>
What do Infantry officers in the Army do? Both in war and peacetime?
>>
>>34989486
>panic attack at basic
>panic attack
>at basic
fuck off, you're a liability to everyone around you
>>
>>34989564
I've never had one before or after, and I've been in way more stressful situations since then. I was fine right after it happened, but my leadership pushed me towards the discharge and I was a scared 19 year old kid with no life experience. Please dunk your head in a vat of aids if you're just gonna shitpost
>>
>>34988948
Haha, are you the guy from a few threads ago saying infantry is lucrative because of the GI Bill? If it wasn't you someone else was saying the exact same thing.

Welcome to the real world kiddo, where college alone means jack dick and you ought to use your military years doing something better than cleaning shit out of toilets. Be thankful you have a recruiter who is willing to be honest with you.

You aren't going to be larping CoD anyway, so get over it.
>>
Graduated from Navy OCS on Friday.

Ask me things if you want.
>>
>>34989579
Can you explain the circumstances of the attack?
>>
>>34989805
I was in cls class, and was taking notes and trying not to drift off into sleep because lolprivate. I started to think about home, and the situation there when I left was it was looking like my folks were gonna get divorced. I got into a vicious cycle of worry because I was a 19 year old kid and I thought they were gonna leave each other and my brothers would be screwed, etc etc . So all of a sudden I found myself breathing really fast and silently freaking out. I managed to keep it together but my battle buddy noticed and called a drill sergeant over and by the time I he took me into another room with my battle buddy, I had gotten it together but they gave me a counseling, moved me to another platoon, and then started giving me all that "I'm gonna keep you at an hhc unit forever" and "you're gonna go to Leavenworth" shit and after a point, I just wanted out because as far as I knew at the time, my only other option was fucking military prison- so I rolled with it and got an uncharacterized general discharge under chapter 11 with an RE3 code and a JGA
>>
>>34989864
So you had it "together" in front of the drill sergeant and all that shit still happened? Find it hard to believe
>>
>>34989893
Yeah. I was a little shaken, but I wasn't freaking out at that point. They asked me what happened and like a retard I told them the truth. This was back during the cutbacks as well, so could that have had something to do with their decision to troll me out of the service?
>>
>>34989775
What next?
>>
Would they care about a broken ankle?
>>
>>34989009
>>34989010
>>34989015

I want to go infantry because it's something you can only do within the military. Why would I do something in the military I can do without being in the military? If I wanted to go into a trade I would have gone into a trade school.

With infantry I feel like I'd be able to have a true military experience. Also the pride of being in infantry seems pretty cool too.

>what do you think you'll be doing?

Probably a lot of shooting and drill

>>34989344
How long has the United States gone without a war? I guarantee you the United States will be involved in something in the next couple of years.

>>34989714
I am not that person.

>cleaning shit out of toilets

Why would the infantry do this
>>
>>34988948
If you want to do infantry, then do infantry. Just remember no matter what you do in the military you'll qualify for the GI Bill all the same.

I think you're recruiter probably is just trying to meet quotas, but at the same time there is some logic behind it. I suspect that a good portion of people join infantry because they think it'll make them a bad ass and they'll be a war hero or something, or maybe they just think it would be fun, idk. Either way, if all you care about is college, then the smart thing to do would actually pick a good job so you aren't hating your life for 4 years. You might even develop some skills that can transfer into the civilian world by doing something in finances as your recruiter said, because infantry doesn't offer much in that regard.
>>
>>34990240
Infantry notoriously does janitorial duties during peacetime.

By all means, go for it. Someone needs to do the shit details.
>>
Why the hell would anyone want to join the Navy?

>no other Navies are even comparable in power so no chance of any real action
>stuck on a boat for 6 months of the year
>cramped
>surrounded by nothing but water
>basically cheuffeurs for the Marines
>have faggoty white dress uniforms
>>
>>34990341
Don't forget
>get to sail around the world fucking foreign trannies with your best bros
>>
>>34990138
Report to my ship.
>>
>>34989775
How stressful was it?
How much physical activity did you do and what baseline were you at when you went (use the entrance PFT scores)?
What would you recommend studying beforehand?
What was the best part? The worst?
How did you feel after you graduated?
Any random tips or gouge for someone going soon?
>>
>>34990218
Is it still broken? Who is "they"??
If you're going to ask a question you need to include the relevant details you mong.
>>
>>34989864
>>34989911

>I told them the truth.
That's where you really fucked up. You have to understand how big of a problem suicide is with the military, the people trying to force you out were just covering their asses. Same goes for any recruiter you talk to, or the MEPS people that have to approve your waiver; if anything ever goes wrong with you it comes back to them. You can always try but without an active war they can afford to be picky. If something kicks off you'll likely have a much easier time getting in.
>>
>>34990240
>Why would the infantry do this?
Who else is going to do it? The aircraft mechanics that need to keep everything up in the air for flight hours? The medical staff that always have patients? Most jobs in the Army still have shit to do when there's no war. The infantry don't.
>>
>>34990240
>Why would the infantry do this
There is no janitor MOS.
>>
>>34990240

Your daily reminder that infantry rarely get to shoot and the military does its best to take the fun out of shooting.

I got to shoot more as an ultraPOG than any of my infantry friends.
>>
>>34990240

>We gotta be due for a war any day now.
>Gamblers fallacy.

Yup, you're too dumb to be anything but infantry. Good luck.
>>
>>34990391
It's a pretty high stress environment but the staff starts to ease up on you in the final phases of training.
PT was actually pretty easy. We'd run three days out of the week and do cardio stuff for the other two days. I lost about 20 lbs. I scored around a good low in all the categories for the first PFA we took.

As for stuff you should study beforehand, you should memorize the general orders of a sentry, articles of the code of conduct, and the Navy/marine corps enlisted and officer ranks (plus collar devices and insignias).

The best part was getting off base liberty in the tenth week. Worst part was going to the sand pits.

It felt pretty great after graduating but now I'm going straight to the fleet not knowing much.

Tips: learn how to shine shoes well and be in good physical shape.
>>
>>34990390
We'll bang, ok?
>>
>>34990451
Thanks for leveling with me. I found a recruiters office that has a couple reviews stating that they're helpful with difficult re enlistments.

As much as I'm not a fan of our current president, I'm somewhat optimistic (ironically) that he'll get us into some shit- be it with NK, or Syria, or with the increased presence in Afghanistan- maybe I'll be able to get my foot in the door. I probably have to get my small hand tattoo lasered off before I even get considered as well, so I've got some time to kill while I work on all of this.
>>
I graduated college in May with a pretty useless degree in History. My job prospects are looking pretty slim and my parents are bitching that I don't have any sort of plan. Would joining the military and choosing like an accounting MOS or something like that help me at all in the long run?
>>
What's better 1N4X1 or 35F?
>>
>>34990543
Tell me the last time the USA has gone 5 years without being in a war.

I'll wait.
>>
>>34990559
What did you go in as?

I'm gunning for SNA in about 2y, but I'm a little late to the party since I'm a CC transfer, so I might not make the age cutoff for flight school, comes down to me not fucking up any classes at all for the next 6 quarters.
>>
>>34990683
1945 to now you fucking idiot

If you are hoping to get deployed to fight an insurgency, I have some bad news for you the only action you'll ever see if when you lose a limb to an IED from an unseen enemy and end up screaming for your mother

You won't be a badass anytime in the next 4 years dude. The only people killing ISIS are artillery and drone guys
>>
Any tips for navy boot camp? I leave in a week, I'm getting nervous
>>
>>34990622
>with a pretty useless degree in History.

The CIA analyst who interrogated Saddam Hussein after we found him was a History major. Go to law school or get a masters or something
>>
>>34990702
I'm swo-nuke. There's usually one class every fiscal year that is filled with nukes and I was in it.

The rest of my class was mostly SNA and SNFO. I hope things work out for you. I've ran into several people that have gotten disqualified from aviation while at OCS due to medical reasons.
>>
>>34990709
>1945 to now you fucking idiot
I guess Korea, Vietnam, and Iraq/Afghanistan never happened.
>>
>>34990709
>the USA hasn't been in a war since 1945
You just gone full retard
>>
>>34990774
Those weren't actual wars as you specified. So actually, yeah it's been a long fucking time since we've had a real war and we won't have one before your enlistment is up.

>hoping to fight in drawn out insurgency without a real enemy that will accomplish nothing just like Korea, Vietnam and Iraq/Afghanistan

Better you than me
>>
>>34990702
>tfw fucked up all through college and won't graduate until I'm 26

At least I'll have a high GPA. But RIP flightschool dreams
>>
>>34990778
Not that anon but the last time the US actually declared war was 1941

>>34990683
Yeah depends on your definition of a war. We haven't really been in one from 2011 to now by any real stretch of the term. Afghanistan is a half assed occupation at best
>>
>>34990240

Nigger DO NOT fucking do it. If you want to do Infantry stuff wait for a real war to kick off, because I can speak from personal experience that garrison life as an 11-series sucks fat fucking cock. Picking up cigarette butts, cleaning bathrooms, cutting grass and trees and shit. There was no pride. Most depressed in my entire life.
>>
>>34990731
That's what I keep reading, and while it worries me, I would still want to serve even if "muh flight" has to be with a private license.
>>
>>34990906
Honestly don't discourage him dude, we need retards to do the shit work
>>
Redpill me on loan deferments.
>>
>turned 18 yesterday, no close friends, kissless virgin
>Spend my time getting intoxicated and then regretting it
>Only thing I'm good at is distance running
If dubs I will drop out of uni and join the army tomorrow, 11b. I tried to join the Navy when I was 17, and I was a dumbass and told them about all my concussions/surgeries, but I didn't join and withdrew all my medical records, although I did take the asvab(I got 97th percentile but mummy wouldn't sign off). I plan on telling them nothing this time. I have a surgery scar on my arm but I want to just tell them it is from falling on a rock, and I didn't get stitches. Also I've smoked weed within the past week. Will they drug test me? Thanks for the help in advance.
>>
File: igb698wp49hz.jpg (76KB, 712x641px) Image search: [Google]
igb698wp49hz.jpg
76KB, 712x641px
Ask a marine in a sigint holding platoon anything.
>>
>>34991098

Please stay out of my Army, it's not a refuge for losers that can't make it as adults.
>>
>>34991098

You'd still have to go to MEPS and do a urinalysis. It'll take a while to build a packet with the recruiter and get to MEPS though. You should be good. Why do you want to do 11b, man?
>>
File: British_Army_Logo.png (140KB, 233x200px) Image search: [Google]
British_Army_Logo.png
140KB, 233x200px
Any brit anons here?

Thinking of going for officer training. How long does it take from application to day one of phase one? Any tips or tricks to know going in? Which corp/regiment are the ones to aim for?
>>
>want to fly fighter jet (no prefrence just wanna go supersonic in a badass plane) for the USAF
>probably wont pass physical/knowledge tests
>settle on looking for an IT job and playing with guns and getting a pilots license
>cant find a fucking it job anywhere
>see ad for coast guard

should i join it lads? what goes on in this branch, i need a job
>>
>>34991098
Chances are if you feel disillusioned by college, you're not going to have a great time as infantry right now in peacetime.
Pick a job that truly interests you, and research each branch too.

I'd wait until you know you're clean to get the ball rolling, since the last thing you want to do is blow your career before it even begins.

If you have questions about the AF or military in general I can answer them.

>>34991113
>Please stay out of my Army, it's not a refuge for losers that can't make it as adults.
My fucking sides. 10/10 lack of perspective.
>>
>>34991263
>want to fly fighter jet (no prefrence just wanna go supersonic in a badass plane) for the USAF
>probably wont pass physical/knowledge tests

Why not? Are you stupid?

Here's a little known trick if you're dead set on being a pilot in the USAF:
>be young, preferably right out of high school
>enlist
>immediately begin working towards LEAD program (allows enlisted to go to USAFA)
>170 slots are reserved for enlisted, they often have a hard time filling them
>make it in

Most pilots come from the academy, so that's where you want to set your sights on.
>>
>>34991320
i had a 2.3 gpa in highschool, and have shit eyesight

im 18, so i should join this year, but i know only officers get to fly, so id either work towards being an officer or graduate from college and enlist but i have no money for college
>>
>>34991158
>How long does it take from application to day one of phase one?
That depends on a whole host of things. Most people are delayed by medical.

>Any tips or tricks to know going in?
Just smash the fitness. Most of the selection tests at Westbury are fitness based. It's so incredibly rare that they defer or Cat 4 someone for reasons other than fitness, that you may as well just spend five days a week working on your phys. Get good at running 10k comfortably and work on the pushups and situps. See further on for details*

>Which corp/regiment are the ones to aim for?
That depends what you want to do. Some have a small intake and will be extremely selective. Int Corps, for example, takes in 4 Regular Officers a year. You probably aren't going to be one of them. Guards and Parachute Regiment attract the best Infantry candidates, generally. Gurkha officers are weird and you don't want to join them as it's a shit show. The rest of the Infantry varies massively, but generally speaking you'll need to be fit as fuck.

*Westbury and Sandhurst are very modern these days. You will not be expected to have a subscription to the Telegraph and own half of Gloucestershire, even if you aspire toward the Foot Guards. What they, rather sadly, forget is that they can have all the applicants from the working and middle classes they want - the whole thing is dated. If your school was a state one then you will need to work on archaic things, like being able to jump over a high stick. No, I'm not joking. They do recruit from as wide a background as possible but a lot of it is still very old hat.

Smash the phys, make sure you have good hand writing and give 100 percent effort. Show up on time, for fuck's sake, and learn how to use an iron. Don't do what dozens do every time and pretend to be a minor aristocrat. Chances are there will be lots of minor aristocrats there and they'll see through it. For some reason, this seems to effect female candidates the most.
>>
>>34991353
I'll expand, because I'm feeling all eager and nostalgic.

Attend CHAMPION events if they still do them. Ask your recruiter. You'll go to Grantham and do all sorts of young officer's japes for the weekend. It'll give you an insight into the planning exercise and basically all the tests you will do at Briefing and Main Board. This may be for Reserve Officers only at the moment, but there is probably a Regular equivalent. You can also mingle with other aspirants, and realise that you're a lot brighter than most of them.

Practice the bleep test. They love the bleep test. The rest of the Army does the 1.5 mile run, but Officers are expected to run between cones in a dusty old gym whilst a man who has never seen a mirror he didn't like shouts encouragement. The higher the better. Corps, made up of people who will never see the enemy, will fight over you based on your bleep test performance. There is no sense to this, but there isn't to anything else either.

If you smoke, leave the fags at home. It doesn't look good. Even if you get 13 on the bleep test and set the record for pushups at Briefing, someone will spot you smoking and point out that you could do better if you quit. Paradoxically, smoking when you're actually in is actively encouraged.

Forget about senpai visits for now. If you want insight into that particular part of the Army, join a Reserve unit if you have the time. It's another application but you can get a good idea of what you're getting yourself in for and they might even like you.
>>
>>34991340
Did you not read what I just wrote?
You enlist, and then use the program that allows enlisted to go to the Academy.

The Academy is where the Air Force makes most of it's pilots.
>>
>>34991320
Elaborate on LEAD would you?
>>
>>34991353
Baller response, thanks

Assuming I don't have any medical problems, if I want to be out of training before I'm 21 and I'm 4 months of 20 now, are the odds good?

Been doing all the fitness I can. I'm training 4 days a week. I could probably do some more cardio, but other than that I think I'm covered on that front.

Jumping over a high stick? I mean it sounds simple enough to understand but why exactly? I won't complain, I'm sure I can do it, but is their lots like that? How do I prep for it? Is it just good physical fitness or should I go out and try to jump over things?

>Good hand writing
Found my short straw. Is that a real thing to considered or should I take it with a pinch of salt? I know cursive script, but I can be a little scribbly sometimes.

No problems not acting posh. I'll just try to be myself :^)

Thanks again for the response. No one in my family has any sort of military background. My consideration of joining the army has really thrown my family for 6. I need all the advice I can get.
>>
>>34991120
Thanks senpai, I'll get clean beforehand. I want to do 11b cause I have a friend who went in as infantry (enlisted) and now is going airborne, which I am interested in, along with rangers. Either way it's an alternative to suicide.
>>
>>34991413
Thanks for the advice.

I used to love the bleep test in school. It'll be fun to do it again. What sort of score should I aim for? I don't smoke, so thats a non issue. I really ought to get my arse down to a recruiter then. Thanks again.
>>
>>34991431
USAFA is required to reserve an amount of admission slots for enlisted members.
They struggle to fill all of those slots every year, since most enlisted are either too old or have no desire to go to the academy.

So it's kind of a "back door", if you will, to get into the academy.
>>
>>34991619
Interesting, what are the requirements? I know the USAF offers something similar to bootstrap program, and like two other programs to go to college full time while enlisted, but USAFA seems like the best ticket among those
>>
What jobs in the military have the most/most lucrative job opportunities after serving?
>>
>>34991465
You need to get 10.3 I believe. Do the application online first then go in, because they'll just talk for a while then say go online.

>>34991438
More cardio. Really, it should be the biggest thing you do in terms of exercise. The jumping over the stick is a sort of running high jump. There may be some videos, it's very weird.
Your handwriting should be clear and consistent in everything, even the notes on the planning exercise.
>>
>>34991655

ATC (air traffic controller) in any branch. Always in demand and your certs/experience transfer almost directly over.
>>
anyone here navy enlisted? or have a lot of knowledge of navy enlisted?
>>
>>34991665
Cheers man, appreciate the advice, I'll go for a run first thing tomorrow morning, start applying sometime after that.
>>
File: question mark.jpg (183KB, 787x1000px) Image search: [Google]
question mark.jpg
183KB, 787x1000px
Is it even worth getting a 4-year degree for the military if you don't plan on making a career out of it?

I really need that tuition assistance, even if it's for one or two classes a semester, but I don't necessarily want to do it for the rest of my life.
>>
I want to join the Military, serve, and then leave to have a well paying career in the civilian world. Don't want to work a desk job while I'm enlisted though.

If I joined the National Guard instead of the Army, would this be doable?

>>34988948
Literally in this same exact scenario right now.
>>
>>34991857
Why do you want to join the military?
>>
>>34991882
The GI Bill providing a debt-free opportunity to attend College. The experience it provides in regards to physical and weapons training.

I'm soon to finish high school, but I don't know what to study, and I don't want to be a NEET leaching off my family after I graduate.
>>
Does the navy have many hands on mechanical jobs? I dont know if id want an actual mechanic job, like fixing the engines and ships and all that, i just dont want to sit below deck at a computer for the majority of my contract. I was looking at mineman but i cant find any new videos or anything about it, everything ive found is 4+ years old and just shows people sitting below deck at a computer usually
>>
>>34991918
I'm the infantry anon you replied to

This is my situation too. I have absolutely no idea what I want to study and what I want to do with myself career wise. I don't want a boring desk job or any of that bullshit so infantry appeals to me a lot.
>>
>>34991650
https://www.academyadmissions.com/admissions/advice-to-applicants/enlisted-airmen/
The big sticking points are that you can't be married or have any children.

I honestly can only recommend the Academy if you're looking to become a pilot. If you just want to be an officer, ROTC is the best way to do it.

OTS is best if you already have a degree.

Academy life can be a bit much, since you play all the fuck fuck games as a cadet for 4 whole years. That said, cadets from the academy are almost guaranteed a pilot slot. Many ROTC and OTS officers are non flying officers.
>>
>>34991942
any mechanic job is going to be below decks or indoors. that's where the navy keeps all of its easily breakable shit.
maybe you're looking for bosun's mate? they work with the deck gear
>>
I think aircraft carriers are the coolest shit and would like to work on one but the OP says nuke school is for hosers. If I try for SWO instead of enlisted is it any better?
>>
>>34991955
I dont mind being below deck too much, sitting down and not moving much is what gets me. Thats why i asked about hands on jobs, i figured they would be more active than others
>>
>>34991942
>>34991973
AM
You'll most likely find yourself fixing fighter jets or helicopters. You definitely won't just be sitting at a computer.

>>34991829
In life, it's worth having a 4 year degree.
You can use the military to pay for that degree in 2 main ways:

ROTC:
>little extra time commitment during college to get college paid for
>do 4 years as an officer, and officers make good money

GI Bill/Tuition Assistance:
>Do 4 years enlisted
>Use tuition assistance while you're in, work a desk type job where you can do schoolwork at work
>Finish the rest after you separate as a full time student, getting E-5 housing stipend
>>
>>34991759
Navy enlisted here, what u need

>>34991942
We have literally tons of shit in every mechanical field you can think of. If you like to get your hands dirty, there's a Navy rate to fit you.
Enginemen, Machinist Mates(with about a billion specializations), Gas Turbine Mechanics, Electricians Mates on the wiring side, you name it.
>>
>>34992047
thinking about enlisting with crypto (technical or network) or intel. any info on either of those? or any comparative rates?
>>
>>34992063
I'm not in those fields, sorry man. If you're really interested, talk to a recruiter. They're pretty good at matching people with rates that fit them, IME Mavy recruiters try not to fuck you as much either. What was your ASVAB score?
>>
>>34992139

92. only the civilian one, though. and thank you for your help
>>
>>34992139
>>
>>34991104
Shouldn't you be cleaning your room for reinspection later?
>>
>>34992152
Is your ASVAB still valid?
>>
>>34992241
should be. i took it the fall of last year
>>
>>34991918
>>34991946

What you're saying is perfecty reasonable. HOWEVER! You are both seriously underestimating how shitty peacetime infantry is. You will NOT be doing cool operator shit innawoods. You WILL spend most of your time sitting around waiting, cleaning, and doing random bitch work.

If you want to do cool stuff you have to be more than just infantry, you need to be airborne/RANGER/recon/etc. If you are just infantry; to the Army you will be like every other retard hick that joins up with a GED. JANITORIAL STAFF!
>>
File: 1490070893870.jpg (86KB, 455x675px) Image search: [Google]
1490070893870.jpg
86KB, 455x675px
>>34990586
I just want you to know I completely lost my shit. Well done.
>>
I'm planning on starting my joining process in November (Canadian Navy, MARS Officer is what I'm looking at at the moment. I'll finish my degree next year).

Can anyone with experience in the Canadian Navy tell me how they deal with medical records? Will they specifically ask me anything in particular? The only thing that worries me is that I had Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome (a very minor heart defect I had corrected with a minor procedure. Now it's completely gone).

If they ask me if I've ever been hospitalized, do I say no? I'm not planning to volunteer information, but I'm assuming lying will fuck me.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>34991439

Don't marry to the idea of going Airborne or Rangers before you've even completed the MEPS physical. Something medical might crop up and make you ineligible for jump school. Happened to me and I was crushed, 'cause I thought there'd be nothing to stop me. Got stuck as a leg for the duration of my contract, which isn't the end of the world if you wanted to be any type of infantryman from the get go, but it can put a damper on things for ya if that's what you've been dreaming of.

Seems to me you don't have any direction and hope that by opting for infantry it'll provide you some sorta purpose. Am I right, or am I off the mark?

Just wanna provide you with the best advice I can muster. This is not a decision you wanna make without being tempered by the guidance of guys who have been there.
>>
How long does a medical waiver take to clear for the Air Force? I had surgery to correct my pectus in 2011 and still have scars. My recruiter said it would take 4-5 days but it's been three weeks now.
>>
>>34991439
>>34992421

You've gotta be honest with what you hope to get out of this commitment, what you're interested in, where your skills lie, how you see yourself adapting to the environment, what you expect it to be, etc. Lotta guys go in thinking it'll straighten them out, but what they don't realize is that the onus is on you to straighten yourself out, and if you're still an emotional and mental fuckup then you're gonna get out after 3 or 4 years and have no fucking clue how to cope, because the military didn't actually fix you, or you stay in as a careerist because the prospect of getting out and not having the government take care of you is frightening.
>>
>>34992421
Not that anon but I'm also gonna try for the infantry. I like to think I understand that it's gonna suck balls a lot, but also that you make some of the best friends of your life. I mostly just want in as a grunt because I'm young and dumb and feel a calling for it.

Sure rangers and airborne would also be really cool but I'm fine with the idea of just being a leg- and I'm also okay with the fact that peacetime infantry sucks.

What was your time in like? What was OSUT like?
>>
>>34992486
i have a question completely unrelated to anything else: do you read a lot?
>>
>>34992313
Does artillery do any cool shit in peacetime or is it pretty much like 03? That would be my second choice after Infantry
>>
I'm not thinking of doing this, but is it illegal to join any army outside of NATO? Like, could I get my citizenship revoked for joining the russian army?
>>
>>34991948
That's good information, thanks. I'm single no kids but I'll be turning 23 next month, no college time, and have minor corrective glasses. I'll look at the link in a bit.
>>
>>34992510
Yes. Why?
>>
>>34992516
Got your ip. Enjoy guantanamo.
>>
>>34991774
What Regiment/Corps are you looking at?
>>
>>34992528
you sound (or read, i guess) intelligent.
>>
Alright /meg/, help a man out

Army 11b here, looking to transfer to an MOS/RATE/AFSC that will help me become an Aerospace Engineer when I'm out and done with college. At least, something similar so I have some kind of experience. I'm expecting the Navy and Air Force to have more on this, any Squids or Airmen willing to point me in the right direction?
>>
>>34992543
I was thinking something in infantry or armored. I don't know about any specific ones, but I thought it was a good place to start.
>>
>>34991857
>>34991918

National Guard is a part-time job with part-time benefits. You won't be getting a debt-free education without going full-time, unless your state is one of the more generous ones.
>>
>>34988948
Not a bad idea, but pursue a bachelor's degree while you're still in. That GI bill money won't pay for your entire 4 year degree, anon.
>>
>>34991946

>I don't want a boring desk job or any of that bullshit so infantry appeals to me a lot.

Infantry is, easily, one of the most boring jobs in the military.

People think that when you don't have a desk job you do cool shit, but the reality is that most people without a desk job literally just stand outside doing nothing for most of the day.
>>
>>34992627
from what i've heard, the more boring it sounds, the less boring it actually is. any truth to that?
>>
>>34992631
It depends.
Infantryman here. People ARE still seeing combat, sporadically though. It's a huge gamble. Peacetime, all you do is dick off in training cycles and wait around until another one picks up. I spend probably two months bullshitting then a few months doing actual training and shooting, repeat until deployment/ETS. Don't get me wrong, the bullshit months are spent working out, studying and getting the younger Joes up to speed, so it's not constant pick up parties like all the super POGs ITT say, but you will do gay shit like that from time to time.
>>
>>34992631

It depends on your mindset, this is absolutely true for some jobs though.

Some stuff that sounds cool like CBRN, missile defense, and most combat arms tends to be actual garbage. Meanwhile there's a ton of interesting billets for all kinds of desk jobs, if you've got the mind for it.

Generally the more likely you are to do your job, the better life is.
>>
>>34988889
Took the asvab a while ago and did well, 87 afqt , 120+ line scores

If you dont have much time to study definitely bone up in math and vocabulary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0brxMViHuk&t=2s [Embed]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLHEJWe_0kI&t=14643s [Embed]

these are pretty good, the majority is not on the test but its good to get used to the subject matter (formulas, Orders of operations, variables, fractions etc. )

some anon posted a thread ( Thanks man ) with this practice website that had me learn a few new problems that were on the test to my relief.

http://asvabpracticetestonline.com/

If you have more time to prepare , delve into the other subjects more deeply. In my opinion the ASVAB for dummies book ( though I didnt use that book specifically ) is worth the money seeing as it will aid a score that will determine what you are going to do for the next 4+ years of your life.

goodluck fellas
>>
>>34992722

just took the DLAB ,Passing score is 95 , I got 103 and the max I think is around 160.

though you only need a score of 110 to " qualify " for the the most difficult category of language.

the tests auditory segment is the 75% of the test and its most difficult aspect is that you can only listen to the answers ONCE, then choose an answer.

I took the computerized version which im sure most will. In my version ( i dont know if they switch up the auditory categories ) the first section was the worst for me but as the test goes on and you will quickly get the hang of it.

In my case the first section was identifying which word out of the four fake language words had a different stressed syllable. Im sure I got most wrong in this segment since it wasn't until later that I started to see and hear what they meant. The next 3 segments are fake language given rules that you must translate in your head, then play the audio to listen which answer was the correct one. Since each one is only said once and right after one another. I used my mouse to hover over whichever one sounded correct and skipping over which one was obviously wrong. It is easy to immediately forget which one is which and was said which way. It sounds more difficult than it is but it is definitely not easy from the get go.

Lastly my advice is simply research some videos that give SIMPLE examples of stressed syllables, what is a noun, adjective, possessor, subject. Becuase you will be given a sentence in english then have to orginzing correctly in your head apply the rules. For example : Every verb will start with " Ju " , run = Jurun, or/and a verb cant come after a subject etc.

Goodluck fellas
>>
>>34992729

While the structure is still fresh in my mind heres an example Ill make up. of a section

Rules:

1. the subject word has an " oo " in the middle

2. Verbs start with " Ju " and cannot end in " s "

3. adjectives and their nouns must end with the same vowel. Adjectives and thei nouns can only end in " a " or " u"

Sentence: The perfect Glock blows up.

Correct translation: The perfectu Glooocku jublow up.

( when you listen to the Answer audio for each letter , the words can be in any order as its specified they do NOT have to follow english sentence structure IE: The Glooocku jublow up perfectu ; could also be correct since it fits the rules )

Now that you have the translation In your head, you listen to the answers and try to pick the one that sounds the most correct.

The last audio section is similar to this but with a couple more rules I think. The last section is picture-word association. you are shown some pictures of things that are given fake language words, then also on the screen are pictures without their word, you must deduce their word using the context of the above pictures.
>>
>>34992516
Yes. Depends if that military/group are enemies of the United States past, present, or future.
>>
>>34992660
Is it true that peacetime infantry spend a fuck load of time doing janitorial work?
>>
>>34992551
I dunno about that but the comment is appreciated anon
>>
>>34992830
Yes
>>
>>34990677
Pls respond
>>
>>34992830
Don't worry scro, cleaning my bacon filled shit out of the side of the bowl is part of the "military experience"
>>
I'm told force recon actually has less people in it than marsoc and isn't a great start, so i've been looking at other MOS's.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/2015/08/08/10-in-demand-moss-offer-marines-a-shot-at-quick-promotions/

These and auditor don't look available to random enlistees with no degree, so what SHOULD I do as my first mos? Looking to survive the first four years cleanly and maybe rejoin the service with the GI bill.
>>
Has anyone had medical in meps for months,I'm having the longest freaking time with meps.
>>
File: 800px-thumbnail.jpg (76KB, 800x575px) Image search: [Google]
800px-thumbnail.jpg
76KB, 800x575px
Anyone know anything about billets in the navy?
Looking at GM and was wondering how easy it would be to get one to a smaller boat or something on land.
>>
What does artillery do in peacetime?
>>
>>34993149
The same stuff the rest of the military does but about a mile or two away from them
>>
>>34992511
Artillery does more and you have a better chance of deploying/killing people. I don't know very much about it beyond that so you'll want to research it on your own.
>>
>>34992985

>Article from 2015

Military recruitment policies change sometimes daily. If you're reading an article older than about six months it's usually completely useless in terms of current policy and demands.
>>
>>34992596
Are you specifically interested in planes? Because Army 15 series MOS tend to be pretty decent and you'll have an easier time finding a job in the civvie world fixing helicopters than fixing planes. Army Aviation is one of the "easier" routes to warrant as well if you decide you want to say in. Could also go 15E or 15W if you want to work on UAVs; it's a growing field and soon Amazon and other shipping companies will have fleets of them.
>>
>>34993019
Could you rephrase that question? I went to MEPs recently.
>>
>>34993366
Can confirm this. Even 6 months is a stretch.
>>
>got permabanned from the discord
fun
>>
File: 1503620760008.gif (1MB, 296x218px) Image search: [Google]
1503620760008.gif
1MB, 296x218px
I'm thinking about joining the Navy because I know that they can get the best jobs out of the service such as working with all the various defense contractors like as Lockheed or research labs. My question is, can you find love in the military? I'm gay and I love pounding ass. Can you be active duty in the Navy and still find time for sweet man love? Thinking about asking my recruiter
>>
If I don't wanna be a janitor in the Army, what's being 18b like?

>>34992313
>>34992613
What can you guys tell me about 18x?
>>
>>34993800
If you drop out of 18x, which is more likely than not, you'll be a grunt instead. Not a terrible deal, but just something to remember.
>>
>>34993815

>If you drop out of 18x, which is more likely than not, you'll be a grunt instead.

This is misinformation. 18X drops go needs of the Army. Right now pretty much none of them are ending up as grunts.
>>
>>34993833
My bad- I was going off old info I suppose
>>
>>34993744
Go submarine
>>
Just got finished with USMC boot camp. Are there any other marines on here? What is MCT like?
My mos is communications but I do not know the specific job, just know that it is in the comms field.
/spoiler/semper fidelis/spoiler]/
>>
>>34992421
If you don't mind me asking, what prevented you from going to jump school?
>>
>>34994004
>>34994004
MCT is pretty much 4th phase of boot camp. You'll shoot a lot, hike a lot, and learn about ieds. The BSRE at the end is pretty fun.

Don't be a shitbag and you'll be fine.
>>
Anyone know where I can get a Hotspot that works in Africa? I heard Orange was aight.
>>
>>34993721
Were you the ponyfag?
>>
>>34993800
You have to want 18x. This is not something you do for free college.
>>
>>34990341
>>34990366
>no real action
thats 95% of all military jobs
>stuck on a boat
As oposed to stuck on a base in a desert shithole
>cheuffers
Thats only amphibs dude
>white dress unis
iconic plus you never wear them and its not a big deal either way
>>34993123
You can def get GM but your orders come after school
>>
>>34993437
medical clearence taking forever to process, had cancer when I was 3
>>
>>34994206
yes ;c i was starting to enjoy the server too
>>
>>34993366
>>34992985
Well shit. Guess i'll just apply to intel/airfield and cross my fingers? I take the asvab monday so I have time, but official sites arent good for research since they shy away from the billet question.
>>
Corpsman here. Studying my ass off to make second class, advancement rate is absolute SHIT. About to reenlist on Friday as well.
>>
>>34991619
is this program only for USAF enlisted? Could, say, a Marine get in using this program?
>>
>>34994418
Gotta draw the line on degeneracy somewhere bud.
>>
>>34994564

All academies have slots reserved for enlisted. As a Marine you'd probably be applying to Annapolis though, not USAFA.
>>
>>34994558
What mos?
>>
>>34994429

Or join a branch that guarantees your job. No crossing your fingers involved when you sign up for intel or aviation in the Army or Navy.
>>
>>34994646
I'm not a Marine, just curious. I was mainly wondering because I want to do a job only the Army has, and also be a fixed wing pilot later.
>>
>>34994657
I'm too shy to back out now and i'm desperate for deployment.

Gee wiz, youd think with EVERYBODY saying dont go marines itd make the position better due to supply and demand but nope...
>>
>>34994649

It isn't an MOS. The Navy has "rates", or jobs, and within each rate can be a specialty. My job is essentially a medic for the Navy, and it has many specialties like Lab technicians, preventative medicine techs, etc.
>>
>>34994713

>Desperate for a deployment

Well, the Marines are most likely to deploy after the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard.
>>
>>34994713
The Marines are a meme.
>>
>>34994558
Why do so many people say that advancement for Corpsman is slow as shit? I'm interested in being one and would like to know.
>>
>>34994720
Fellow navyfag here, imho the rating system is 100x better than other branch's MOS shit. "FT2 Dickhead" tells you a lot more about someone than "Sgt. Fuckface" with whatever the fuck his MOS would be
>>
Does anyone know the British armed forces policy on tattoos?

I REALLY want a sleeve tattoo, but I am afraid they'll say no
>>
>>34990341
Don't forget playing tag with commercial ships, reefs, and running aground. That's just 2017.

Instead of joining for what you imagine a service to be, I strongly suggest you ask vets and find out the current real deal. Keep in mind that no matter what the job some G.I.s will hate it, some will enjoy it, and most just do it.

If you are smart, do everything as if you are going career even if you think you will not. You aren't in yet and know nothing. Once you have a couple or three years of experience you might have learned a bit.

>>34990622
Join the Air Force. Most people here aren't retired career vets. I am. You can knock out twenty easy, stay more for da pay bumps, then never have to work again for the rest of your life. Let that sink in. You'll be a lot freer than most people. If you wish to start another career you'll be well equipped, your active duty and retired income are essentially recession proof, and the medical and edubennies are outstanding.

I suggest choosing a medical AFSC for corporate comfort and killer civilian employment options. I was an aircraft maintainer but I fucking love technology, aircraft, and machines in general. That's not for everytbody but I detest office jobs.

The finance fields etc are being outsourced and unless you speak and think in ebonics I doubt you'd want to be an Admin troop.

Military careers often lead to civilian government careers. Contracting can be a very good field and most people don't know about it. I have contractorbros who loved it, retired and work as Federal civilians. Your military human network after a career can be quite large. That shit's the brotherhood you don't hear about on TV.

Of course war can be brutal. I still remember clear as day when the heat pump broke on my tent during Desert Shield. It was down for more than twelve hours before CE swapped it out.

The horror....
>>
>>34995216
If a tattoo is more important than a career you have feathers for brains and don't belong in any military.
>>
>>34995412
Nice projection
>>
>>34995347
No him but thinking of becoming a pilot , would you say is a comfy enough occupation to stick to it and retire after 20+ years? I'm planning on flying helis ,retire and then possibly keep flying for a police department or a hospital, how bad/good of a plan is this?
>>
>>34995441
Is the truth bird brain
>>
>>34995216
Sleeves are fucking gay, but you are already British
>>
>>34995484
>>34995488
Woah @ these projections
>>
>>34995538
You having a giggle m8
>>
File: Karl.gif (98KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Karl.gif
98KB, 500x281px
>tfw can't decide if I want the military job where I do nothing and at no risk or if I want to be in a tank and live the dream
>>
>>34995615

Easy decision, since if you join as a tanker you'll hardly ever actually use your tank. That's just the environment we're in.
>>
>>34991857
What state? GI Bill in the Guard isn't available right away after you join, but some states pay most/all of your tuition. Remember that you can join a different state's Guard if your state sucks and you really need the money for education.
I'd recommend taking a gap year after you graduate high school and working while you research the military more in depth and deciding if it's for you. You'll get the physical training you want, but unless you join an SOF unit your weapons training will leave you disappointed. You'd be better off in a job that will give you skills you can use after the military while also having time and money to take civilian firearms courses on the side.
>>
>>34995347
You say you were an aircraft maintainer, for 20 years, is it not that bad on your body doing 12 hour shifts then?
>>
>>34995347
What do you think of the new retirement system coming in next year? How is it better when the payout is reduced?
>>
>>34995824
It's better if you get out before 20 years, if you stay 20 or longer it's worse
>>
>>34995893
Neat. How long does an elistment process take for example to get in on the old system? You are "in" so to speak as soon as you ship for bootcamp correct?
>>
>>34995725

No chapter of the gi bill is available immediately after you join regardless of whether you're active, reserve or guard.

Just saying so no kids reading will get confused.
>>
>>34996205
>get in on the old system
That ship sailed in 1986 anon
>>
>>34995126

Former Marine, current air force here and I totally agree.

I just commissioned in the af a couple months ago and I am liking the occupational badge thing the af does so far. You can immediately see what someone's job is and the ABUs don't have ten thousand fucking things on them like army utility and dress uniforms do.

I hate air force blues but at least they don't look like a dress up doll like army blues.
>>
>>34996205
>>34996235

Anyone who gets in before the new fiscal year (starts October 1st) is grandfathered into the old system.
>>
>>34996235
wut
>>34996205
As long as you ship before the new year you are grandfathered in
>>
>>34996276
>>34996278
I stand corrected. I'm actually shipping Sept 12, so I'd be good right?
>>
>>34996286
that's funny, I ship the 11th. What branch and job?
>>
>>34996286

You'll be eligible for the new system, but you should probably voluntarily join the new one. It's better for the 85% of people who don't retire.
>>
>>34996302

Eligible for the old system*
>>
>>34996296
Army, FLW
>>
>>34996250
How friendly is AF OTS to prior service? How old are you?
>>
>>34996319
well shit, too bad. I'm going to Benning.
>>
>>34995347
So would time in the service lead to contracting opportunities? Or would that be completely separate? I've applied to jobs around me at Lockheed Martin and Boeing but haven't heard back since the beginning of the summer.
I've also always had an interest in joining the Air Force ever since I was a little kid but I don't know what I would want to pursue as an MOS, especially during peacetime. SOF was always a dream, and I'm sure I could handle the punishment but I don't want to wash out and have to do something I don't want to. (I also wear glasses :/)
>>
>>34993400
I want to build spaceships, but the military doesn't have much in the way of getting my foot in the door. Jets is the closest thing, so that's what I'm after.
>>
>>34988948
Actually listen to your recruiter. It sounds like good advice.
>>
>>34996333

OTS is a joke for anyone who is prior service. Anything you may have read about it being "mentally stressful" or whatever was likely written by someone who was a full retard.

The tests are just mindless memorization and there is practically zero pt, I think I did some mandated physical activity like ten times during the program and it was just a super easy run.

Once you're selected to go provided you didn't do something criminal since you've been in the military, ots is a guaranteed commission - everyone makes it through.
>>
>>34992217
>actually field daying
still passed reinspection
>>
>>34995216
It can't be further down than your wrist. It can't have anything stupid on it either and for your sake it better not be military related.

You'll look a cunt but you do anyway so crack on
>>
>>34994822

Sorry for the late reply.

It's due to the fact that everywhere you go, there is a Corpsman. Medical is everywhere. Not every duty station has an aviation mechanic, for example. We are the largest rate in the Navy simply because of the nature our job entails, so we are needed everywhere. Couple that with tons of subspecialties, like lab tech, pharmacy tech, field medicine technician, etc. and the fact that the advancement exam encompasses questions from ALL of these areas, it makes the test harder (even though it's graded on a curve) due to the vast amount and breadth of knowledge we are expected to know. I mean, you have to know everything from how many lobes your lungs have to the dimensions of a pissing trench in the field, specific treatment for things such as Anthrax, as well as some odd things like how many non-referral visits are authorized for you to see a phychologist out in town. It's unbelievable how much information you are expected to know, but honestly if you study it isn't all that bad. Most people don't study.
I took the second class exam for the first time in March and scored a 72, which was in the 99th percentile, so I scored higher than 99% of everyone else that was E4 trying to make E5. The tests are scored based off of how well you do on the exam itself, award points, past performance on exams, and what kind of evaluation you get from your chain of command. I had an MP, which isn't bad at all, but if I had an EP (it counts for a lot more points towards your test) I would have made it. The problem is that you have to volunteer and all this other crap at shore commands so it's somewhat unappealing to people, myself included. Thankfully I bit the bullet and earned an EP, so I'm going to make it this cycle.
It sucks, but it's a good gig. You truly earn it when you advance as a Corpsman, and I wouldn't consider any other rate if I had to start over.
>>
>>34994643
but horse pussy is life ;cc
>>
>>34990720
It's a fucking joke. Literally. Just roll with it.
>>
is usa national guard mp a good choice if i want to become a cop later?
>>
>>34993955
>be onna sub
>start a manlationship
>it goes sour
>can't avoid the motherfucker for 6 months because you're stuck inside a 300-ft steel tube with him
Bad advice desu
Better off onna carrier or large amphib
>>
>>34991353
Help me now plz.
I want to join the military, as a foot soldier. Not too sure if to do RM's, Paras or regulars.
I'm 18 now but was going to join around 21 because that's when my apprenticeship ends, also I'm still growing and that.
Are there many differences between the three? Can I straight up ask to be in one and get put through, or do I start as a regular then get put up if I'm good enough?
Many thanks.
>>
>>34997881
having gone through most of a cop process i'd question not just going and being a cop asap over doing military or anything else first. it shouldn't hurt but if you want to be a cop go do that?
>>
How do I know if it's actually a good idea for me to join the military?
>>
>>34998737
You don't. What's your end game?
>>
>>34998811
Get rid of all this fuggin student debt and hospital debt and then have a degree and maybe be a school teacher or bartender
>>
>>34998909
Fuck off. How about you get some pride in your country and serve for that you degenerate.
>>
>>34998811
Feeling like I have contribute to my country and family
>>
File: Or Saudi Pedophiles.jpg (64KB, 382x497px) Image search: [Google]
Or Saudi Pedophiles.jpg
64KB, 382x497px
>>34988889
>>
>>34996235
Is it possible to "transfer" between branches?

Like for example could a Navy officer near the end of his commitment reapply but as Marine officer? Could an Army enlisted halfway through his commitment become an Air Force enlisted?

After this transfer are you no longer considered to be a member of the former branch or is are you now a "former Sailor/Marine/etc."?

Any branch applies to this question.
>>
File: air force services.jpg (138KB, 1680x945px) Image search: [Google]
air force services.jpg
138KB, 1680x945px
>>34998909
Go Air Force. The job you choose doesn't matter, Services is a good choice because you'll have lots of time on your hands to do school work. Your uniform is often just a polo shirt.
>>
File: USAF services uniform.jpg (8KB, 219x225px) Image search: [Google]
USAF services uniform.jpg
8KB, 219x225px
>>34999237
>yfw this is an actual uniform for the Air Force

Confused me the first time I encountered an entire squadron of them.
>>
>>34999223
You'll lose rank every time you make the jump. Also all USMC enlisted start in the junior enlisted ranks.
>>
>>34999281
>You'll lose rank every time you make the jump
So (going off my first example, considering Marines are technically part of the Department of the Navy) if a Lt. Commander in the Navy transferred to the Marines he would not be a Major? Would he have to go through Marine OCS or would he just have to go through TBS and all that other Marine specific training?
>>
>>34990559
Thanks for the reply man, I really appreciate it. You mentioned in another post that many people looking to become SNA or SNFO flunk out of that pipeline halfway through OCS due to medical issues. Is that the NAMI Whammy I hear about? What was the most common reason for failure?
>>
>>34990588
lol cuck they dont want you
>>
I got a 95 on my ASVAB. Is army enlistment a good way to "rebuild" your life? Like saving up for a vehicle and apartment, learning to drive and so on while enlisted?
>>
>>34999429
How old are you? Do you actually want to be in the military? Do you love your country?
>>
File: air force uniform - polo.jpg (923KB, 1505x1288px) Image search: [Google]
air force uniform - polo.jpg
923KB, 1505x1288px
>>34999276
The Air Force uniform doesn't look that bad in action and it makes more sense than the ABUs. A fat guy in a polo is less ridiculous looking than a tiger striped ABU fat guy.
>>
>>34998972

So I assume you aren't actually in...

That anon is like 99% of the people you're going to encounter - people who can't do anything else and need the government to save them.
>>
>>34999429
People who lives are a fucking disaster before they join end up being disasters while they are in.

If the 1SG knows your name, understand that you are turning into the unit fuckup. Don't be the unit fuckup. If you are prone to fuckups, keep your personal life and your military life as separate as humanly possible.
>>
>>34999602
>spotting with one hand above the bar

whut
>>
>>34999276
>>34999602
Thank you for your service, Jake from State Farm.
>>
>>34999691
I assumed she was going for the opposed grip
>>
>>34999691
>using gloves + spotter to bench lmao1plaet
embarrassing
>>
>>34999223
If you went from Navy officer to USMC officer you'd have to be within the typical requirements, apply to OCS, graduate, and do all necessary training. Being prior service gives you little advantage for commissioning in the Marines, unless you were a prior enlisted Marine then you just have way more experience than OCS civies.
>>
>>34998972
*tips*
Indubitably
>>
If my career end goal is working counter-terrorism for a federal agency is the military a good way to start that? Assuming I'm a smart man with good scores and a college degree
>>
>>35000203

No, join a three letter agency.

You'd just be wasting a valuable 4-6 years of your life sitting around raking sand in the military.
>>
>>35000203
it's ok. there are worse paths.

intel officer = good. CID agent = good. infantry officer or supply clerk = meh. cook is probably not the MOS of choice.
>>
>>35000251
>>35000228
I was hoping to aim for intel or CID for the experience. The FBI for instance requires a graduate degree or three years minimum full time work experience and I didn't want to be a cop and then hope to join with all the other cops applying after those three years and thought maybe Navy or AF intelligence would help me stand out if that makes sense.
>>
What's /meg/s opinion on motor T?
>>
>>35000286

My bad, didn't know you've never had a job.
>>
>>35000203
>If my career end goal is working counter-terrorism for a federal agency is the military a good way to start that?
If your career end goal is doing that, why not START at a federal agency like the FBI or CIA?
>>
31 years old married with 2 kids.. going in to infantry in the army. Good idea or did I mess up??
>>
>>35000469
Congrats, you just uprooted your family's life to go play soldier. How shitty was your job that you felt compelled to do this?

Please tell me that you're at least going in as an officer. Otherwise you really dun fucked up.
>>
>>35000498
No degree.. job with no future. Just enlisted not officer. Trying to get my life going figured this was a good way to start.
>>
>>35000464
Can't just pop into those agencies straight out of undergrad unless there's some intern program to do so which I would have missed out on. You need a grad degree or work experience. I know some of the other federal agencies might take college grads and I haven't written those out, but gaining experience as an intelligence officer in the military isn't something I want to write off either. The extra years I'd give up to serve isn't really an issue to me so I just want to find out if that path actually leads to where I want it.
>>
>>35000523
>Trying to get my life going
At the age of 31 with a wife and 2 kids? Dude, come on.

What are you going in for?
>>
>>35000532
Infantry 11b. Had a bunch of shit jobs and didn't do shit with school that's my fault I know. But now I'm at the point where I either work for 11 an hour with no future and struggling or army which is what I did. Thought it was a good start to something. Guess I fucked up.
>>
>>35000557
I was thinking of doing law enforcement after since PD's waive education requirements with 4 years military.
>>
>>34998972
>>34999623
>dont have money for college
>need a loan from a (((bank))) to save you
makes much more sense i agree
>>
>>35000469
Look dude, shit happens I get it. I won't scald you for going in the Army with dependents.

You are fucking up ROYALLY going infantry. You have a fucking family dude. Do something a) lucrative and b) something less likely to make your wife a widow. Seriously dude, fucking grow up. Infantry is for kids.
>>
>>35000557
when do you ship?
>>
>>35000523

Meh, gotta do what you gotta do. Being in the military is stupid and you make shit money but so long as you don't permanently injure yourself or you get fat you will at least have a steady income to take care of your family.

Hopefully you'll have the discipline to take tuition assistance and get your degree so you aren't stuck in it like so many people.
>>
>>35000657
September 4
>>
>>35000633
I already signed my contract.
>>
>>35000557
Nah you did alright then, if you had exhausted all other options. It's going to be very rough on your family though. That is what I would worry about most.

But man don't go Infantry, go something with applicability to the civilian world. Once you get out you won't have many skills necessary to thriving in the private sector. Also your body will disintegrate, being 31 years old. Guys who enter as infantry when they are 18 have fucked up knees and backs by the time they are 28. How do you think you're going to feel?
>>
>>35000664
Thanks. I just want to take care of the family. Insurance and steady income
>>
>>35000203
Not the original anon but just to chime in,I have a master's degree and was unable to get work in a 3 letter agency without relevant experience or being a vet. I'm shipping in a few weeks under a street-to-seat CID Special Agent contract. Selection works similar to OCS but turn around is quicker because they have continuous boards monthly but requirements are more strict than officer programs to be honest.

>>35000464
They don't hire bucks out of college. Mind you, working in intelligence and getting an 1811 gig are apples and oranges. 1811 series is highly coveted and there are far less of them available.

>>35000286
If you want to actually be an agent instead of being in a support role get the FBI out of your head. They hire 1 in 50 (qualified) applicants and their Phase I testing is not something you can study for or control. It's a crap shoot.

Dozens up agencies now do counter terrorism shit anyway. When and if I leave military CID I'm personally looking at HSI for my top choice.
>>
>>35000685
I would try to re-no another MOS. Not sure how it works but infantry was a poor fucking choice. You are going to be in the same situation in 4 or more years.
>>
>>35000685

Good luck. I hope your knees don't explode before you can get benefits/gi bill/etc.
>>
>>35000669
I ship just a little after that, maybe we'll see each other. Good luck, old man.
>>
>>35000703
Can't back out now. I'm gonna try to make the most of it and maybe get into law enforcement.
>>
>>35000723
Smoke some pot and then walk into your recruiters office. I assure you, you can back out now.
>>
>>35000723
Dude, I'm pretty sure you CAN back out until the day you ship. Stop being a fucking idiot and at least look into it. Or do infantry and spend the next 4 years being a janitor and getting no skills to help support your family.
>>
>>35000704
Thanks I guess. I'll try not to explode my knees.
>>
>>35000716
Infantry?
>>
>>35000723
Seriously, try for another MOS. Just about anything else will give you more experience and education in SOMETHING besides being a janitor. And 4 years of infantry will help you become a cop.
>>
>>35000723

You can back out all the way until you get on the bus. If you want to get technical, in basic you can refuse to train and get an entry level separation, but of course you'll get a funky reenlistment code if you did that and you'd have a very slim chance of ever getting in.

I totally agree with the people telling you to get it changed. Infantry is worthless; even back in the early 2000s when I joined 03s and 11bs couldn't find jobs after getting out because being infantry teaches you absolutely nothing.

You're just going to ruck a bunch and then be in the same spot four years from now except your body is going to be destroyed... you'd be lucky to be in decent enough shape to be allowed to reenlist at age 34.
>>
>>35000767
>And 4 years of infantry will help you become a cop.

Not sure what anon said they wanted to be a cop, but the best MOS to get into local cop shit is 42A or anything administrative. This is what helps you climb the ladder in departments.
>>
>>35000767

>And 4 years of infantry will help you become a cop.

This depends on which county and state you live in. Some places give vet preference and many do not.
>>
>>35000775
I've accepted it. I'm not going to be a bitch and cry my way out of a contract. So it's happening, infantry it is. Like I said best I can do is be positive and make the most of it.
>>
>>34990622
Go intel, do your 4 years, then go for a civilian alphabet agency. Having a clearance already and almost any degree will help a lot, especially if you network while you're in. CIA, DIA, NSA, NRO, all open to you if you play your cards right.
>>
>>35000832

K, remember this thread in four years when you're having an uncomfortable conversation with your wife about how you're going to take care of your family.
>>
>>34990683
Iraq 1 to Afghanistan was 10 years with some token deployments.

2014 to now, when we pulled everyone but SOF and support out of Afghanistan.
>>
>>35000781
>>35000796
I typo'd the fuck out of that, meant will not help you become a cop
>>
>>35000832
>I'm not going to be a bitch and cry my way out of a contract

You sound like some stupid 18 year old.

You aren't "crying your way" out of anything. You have a family dude. You need to do what's best for them. If you seriously think going to play CoD (which you won't be doing anyway) is in their best interest, you are mistaken.

The Army gets what it needs from you either way. Wanting to change an MOS is normal and it a lot of cases, a smart move.
>>
>>35000893
I thought so, but honestly MOS is mostly irrelevant for a lot of departments as all they are about are veterans points.

I learned about 42A being a good MOS for cops from a state trooper at MEPS joining the reserves for it, saying it's usually what sets some people apart when trying to make lieutenant or something.
>>
>>35000832
>Having a family
>Wanting to support family
>I'll join the Army!
>Pass up on jobs with 20-40 thousand dollar bonuses that are more lucrative to be a janitor

holy fuck dude
>>
>>35000755
yup.
>>
>>35000664

>Shit money in the military

You aren't doing it right, anon. I was ballin' outta control in the Army compared to any of the jobs I had before.

Dude has a spouse, which means he pretty much immediately gets great comp thanks to bennies.
>>
>>35000948

This

My friend's son joined as a 13D last year and got 25k. He got a clearance and all he does is run cables and set the system up.
>>
>>35000832
You're literally letting your own pride dictate you and your families future. Don't be so fucking stupid, fight for a rate change, nothing is set in stone until you get on the bus for basic.
Call your recruiter right fucking now.
>>
>>35000994

Compared to other people who did life correctly and are now in their 30s, yes, e-3 pay is a pile of shit.

I'm now over 100k and I am by no means an intelligent guy, I barely graduated college with a 3.0. I did one enlistment as a 5942 and immediately got a job paying almost double what I got as a sgt after getting out.

In any case I already prefaced the "shit money" statement, so it is kind of silly for you to even mention it as a talking point.
>>
>>35001020

I was making 70k~ as an E-5 by the end of my first enlistment, and living much better than that. That's probably more than that no-prospects 32 year old anon is going to make anywhere else.

LeStemMeme aside, most people in the US don't make more than enlisted military do.
>>
File: 223px-MinistryofDefence.svg.png (90KB, 223x325px) Image search: [Google]
223px-MinistryofDefence.svg.png
90KB, 223x325px
Hello lads, I'm a brit anon who has posted here a few time, I'm thinking of applying for officer training in the army, going to call my recruitment center tomorrow and get an appointment just to answer a few questions I had, but I thought I'd also bounce them of you lot to if you don't mind.

If officer training for people intending to stay in the army longer than 4 years?

How important is the choice of regiment/corp?

My parents are worried about me joining, anything I should know that might reassure them?

How long does it take for applications to be processed? Is wanting to start anytime from 1st of January realistic?

Where can I expect to be sent?

How much combat can I expect to see?

How long are tours?

What do officers get up to in peace time?

Should I learn how to drive before I enlist?

Will dyslexia hinder my ability to work effectively? (I wouldn't say I massively suffer from it but if I have to do heavy writing by hand day after day that might be an issue)
>>
Any Reservists here? Do you regret not going Active Duty? Would it be more worthwhile to become a Reservist if I don't want to stop my schooling but I need some financial assistance?
>>
>>35001044
All I can help with is your question;

>How long does it take for applications to be processed? Is wanting to start anytime from 1st of January realistic?

Most likely not, from personal experience, probably abit after depending on how well the process goes for you.
>>
>>35001042
Yes, recruiter man. Nice how you "accidentally" left out that MOS associated with that 70K.
>>
>>35000696
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that CID had something like that. How long are you going to stay in the military before trying to join an agency?
>>
>>35001020
You aren't wrong by any means. People have bad guidance and generally aren't mature enough to make good choices regarding the military in their 20s. They either don't see the true value or pick a useless MOS. If done right the military in the United States is a fucking gold mine.

>>35001042
Also true. Benefits in the military cannot be matched by anybody, and quite frankly it's impossible to measure how much a military contract is actually worth. From the PX to health insurance to discounts everywhere to mortgages, etc etc
>>
>>35001097

Intel analyst, DC area. The extra $30,000~ in untaxed allowances go a long way.
>>
>>35001085
I don't really mind if it later than that, just my 20th birthday is in December, I wanted to have Christmas with the family and I still have my fitness to work on, but once the new year started I really just wanted to start cracking on with it
>>
>>35001042

I'm not arguing the money point, I'm just saying that you don't have to settle for that amount of money if you just suffer through college for a little while.

70k was nice to live comfortably but now I have enough to basically never have to even think about money again.

I'll never tell someone to aspire to mediocrity, that is why I didn't bother to make the point of arguing that at least you'll make more than the average American does, especially since the average household is only at 50k.
>>
>>35001106
I signed a 5 year contract, which was the requirement. I'm the first one through my district to meet the reqs and be selected so it's been a pretty lonely process. The program is actually 5 years old now believe it or not.

After 5 years I'll have just turned 34. If I stay in military Army CID there is a warrant officer career path available. Military CID agents can get into civilian 1811 CID easily but their work is limited; they mostly deal in fraud and cyber crimes.

I'm either going to do one of those, apply for a commission with OSI, or apply for a number of civilian 1811 agencies and maybe do a career in reserve CID for the two pensions.

I'm trying to focus on one thing at a time, but it opens a lot of windows. Just google CID pilot program for more info.
>>
>>35001136

>If done right the military in the United States is a fucking gold mine.

It really is.

Like the other anon was saying, an 18 year old isn't going to be able to get 40k to sit around jacking off and playing video games anywhere besides the military.

My one mistake was that I let my clearance lapse after I got out because I wanted to try non-defense industries, I was lucky to get into civil service before they started with the hiring freeze and other shit so I could get it back. I did a year with the government and then got scouted by a very large company for a stupid amount of money - not bad for a guy who left high school with a 2.5 and college with a 3.01.
>>
File: 1409285062431.jpg (40KB, 477x477px) Image search: [Google]
1409285062431.jpg
40KB, 477x477px
About what percentage of school is paid for if I were to enlist in the Marine Reserves rather than going active?
>>
>>35001380

>reserve anything
>pay for school

You get utterly fucked out of almost all of your bennies while being paid jack and shit, and you still get deployed.
>>
>>35001380
>>35001391
Additionally the other Marines will basically scoff you and you need to work a shit job in between drills. Go active, also avoid Marines.
>>
File: 1434049290763.jpg (132KB, 610x717px) Image search: [Google]
1434049290763.jpg
132KB, 610x717px
>>35001391
>>35001404
Well that sucks, since I'm not really keen on stopping school, but I guess there is always a catch.

I asked because there's a reservist base here in Tampa, Florida and I've been looking into transferring to USF for the last 2 years.
>>
>>35001391
>>35001404

Note that this is what one would say to a kid with nothing going for them. Since you're a college student with a future it doesn't really apply to you.

Look into the guard in Florida. Many states pay 100% tuition for public universities to guardsmen, the only thing is that for some schools you have to do a certain number of active duty days or be in for a year or more in order to get that benefit.

In my opinion, whatever you do, do not quit school. If you are out of money I would take a loan for a public school rather than waste 4-6 years of my life sitting around in the military and being forced to wait until I was out to return or get some online degree from a for profit school that isn't accredited.
>>
>>35001492
Thank you for your input! I will absolutely take that into consideration. Especially given the relatively close proximity (about 45 minutes) if I could rent an apartment in the middle then it would be exceptionally hard to pass up.
>>
>>35001492
>>35001507
>get some online degree from a for profit school that isn't accredited

Well military isn't going to pay for anything that isn't accredited

Depends on your goal. A lot of B&M schools have online programs that are not only accredited but is exactly the same as if you got classroom instruction. TA also a viable option if you wanted to do school and military at the same time and not get loans.
>>
>>35001172
So I'm looking at the Army website and it says you have to be enlisted before you can join CID, how did it work that you got a contract straight away? Is it because you already have your masters?
>>
>>35001549
You need to scroll down

If you are a college graduate interested in joining the Army and having a career as a federal law enforcement officer, you may be interested in the CID Direct Accessions Program. Successful applicants must complete 31B Military Police One Station Unit Training (OSUT) and the CID Special Agent Course (CIDSAC). Due to the nature of work required of CID Special Agents, strict qualification must be met prior to enlistment:

Requirements:
U.S. Citizenship
21 years of age or older
Bachelor's degree or higher in: Criminal Justice, Forensic Science, Computer Science, Computer Forensics, Digital Forensics, Legal Studies, Accounting, Finance, Psychology or Biology
3.0 GPA or higher
Normal color vision (no exception to policy authorized)
No physical limitations and no history of mental or emotional disorders
Speak and write clearly
Favorable credit history
Valid driver’s license and favorable driving record
No felony or court martial convictions
Eligibility for Top Secret clearance
Suitable character, integrity, reputation, sobriety, discretion, and stability as established by a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI)
>>
>>35001562
Right I just saw that, what was your major if you don't mind me asking
>>
>>35001562
>>35001549
Also the degree requirements and GPA are not waive-able. For reference my undergrad GPA was only 3.2 in a listed degree and I got selected. Master's was 3.6 in a different field and it may or may have not helped.

It used to be only 4 degrees and they expanded it. May or may not again in the future.
>>
>>35001601
Damn so looks like I'm out of luck for CID lol
>>
>>35001597
My undergrad was in criminal justice. It was one of the original 4 available. Basically the most generic degree you could have for it, but it got me in.
>>
>>35001044
>If officer training for people intending to stay in the army longer than 4 years?
Yes. Even if you have no intention, say you want a career. It's easier that way.

>How important is the choice of regiment/corp?
Worry about something else for now. That's a long way away. Generally speaking you should know before you start Sandhurst, though there is no guarantee you end up where you want.

>My parents are worried about me joining, anything I should know that might reassure them?
No. You're an adult. They have every right to be worried, but that's as far as it goes.

>How long does it take for applications to be processed? Is wanting to start anytime from 1st of January realistic?
No. Wait depends on a whole host of things. Fill in an online application.

>Where can I expect to be sent?
Have a look at the current commitments of the British Army. There are some not listed there, obviously. Use your imagination.

>How much combat can I expect to see?
That depends entirely on what part of the Army you are commissioned into, along with what the future holds for UK foreign policy.

>How long are tours?
Variant. Emergency tours may be as short as two weeks. Others may last years. Tours and postings are different. Tours are your HERRICK, TELIC, BANNER, etc. Postings are where you're based - your HQ, be it Regimental, battalion, squadron, whatever.

>What do officers get up to in peace time?
Skiing, lots of skiing. Promotion, planning, admin, backstabbing, listening to the RSM, sorting out your men (or women)

>Should I learn how to drive before I enlist?
You may as well. Driving slots aren't guaranteed.

>Will dyslexia hinder my ability to work effectively?
No.

Most of the above is Regiment/Corps dependent.
>>
>>35001606
Sorry, you can still transfer from any MOS if it's something you wanted to do in the future. I assume you are younger than I am so it may be the way to go. Also OSI works similiar from taking enlisted agents.
>>
>>35001627
I didn't even know it was a thing until you mentioned it but it sounds like something that's extremely interesting, I just don't know what I would want to do until I qualified for a transfer
>>
>>35001645
Are you the anon who wanted to work for a three letter agency?

Intel, hands down. Intel -> CID would get you in anywhere.

Bad thing about CID to be honest, is they mostly do felony level crimes and hand off most counterintelligence work to Army CI. So CI and CID are two different things.

Air Force has OSI which is BOTH, so a better agency for experience. Problem is there is no front door for enlisted, and commissioning for it is extremely hard bordering on impossible.
>>
>>35001546

You can use TA and retraining to pay for non-accredited schools, this is common knowledge. Also, federal employees can use the TA program to get degrees from schools like phoenix.
>>
>>35001624
Thanks for the comprehensive response. I tell myself I'm not going to apply straight away but the more I learn the more I want to go for it. Thanks again.
>>
>>35001684
Phoenix is accredited isn't it? Just because a school is crappy doesn't mean it isn't accredited, and honestly I thought the VA and military had cracked down on diploma mills

Either way, takes a 30 second search to see a school's accreditation status
>>
just got my 18x contract from MEPS, am i gon die?
>>
>>35001741
Prior service or first timer?
No bs are you in shape?
>>
>>35001722
Just stick the application in. It takes ages.

I can highly recommend the Reserve Officer route, if your heart isn't set on a full commission. You can take FTRS positions which is basically where you do a year or two with the Regulars as an officer, or in a Regular role. It requires you to do Reserve enlisted training first but you really have a lot more flexibility. That's sort of replaced the old "Short Service Commission".

If you are after a Regular Commission, then read up the thread for advice I gave to another poster in regard to fitness and the like.
>>
>>35001822
I understand that my first question might have been a little misleading. I do fully intend on making a full career out of the army. I just wanted to make sure that officer training was the right direction.
>>
>>35001741
You won't make it. 18x is the best way for the army to put you somewhere they need you. Because you most likely won't make it. Have fun being a cook or fuckin cav lol.
>>
>>35001663
Not the Anon that you replied to but I am the first guy you were talking to about it. Thanks for the info, at least now I know what to ask for when I talk to my recruiter.
>>
Am I gonna get DQd at MEPS for admitting that I smoked weed the one time? I'd rather not lie since the position I'm looking at requires a polygraph
>>
>>35002247
You'll have to get a waiver, if it's not in your system or whatever dont say anything about it lol.
>>
>>35002247
Yea you would get DQd.
>>
>>34989775
How much sleep did you average during your time at OCS?

I know Marine OCS uses sleep deprivation as a culling tool to weed out those who aren't motivated enough, and most candidates average ~4 hours a night. I haven't been able to find any info on sleep at Navy OCS though and any info would be appreciated.

Sending my completed package to NRC soon for SNA/SNFO.
>>
Marine OCS actually doesn't do this - on paper.

Except for a few nights in the field, you are "able" to get 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep. You just don't because you are expected to get so much done on your own time, and there isn't a lot of other time to do it. It's supposed to be an junior officer simulation, like the billets are and some other parts of the course. Plus firewatch.

This is actually something you ought not worry about. It's a hard part of any military training but not something that can be avoided or trained for.
>>
>>35002734
>>35002586
meant to reply, sorry
>>
>>35002734
>or trained for.
Hohoho, all those late nights in highschool and college should have been plenty of training
>>
>transfer my paperwork from AF to Army
>Recruiter tells me my medical paperwork is in some weird limbo where I'm currently not in the AF nor the Army right now
He's submitted it like 3 times and says usually takes like 3 days max, but MEPS people aren't doing their job or some shit.

Anyone deal with this BS before?
>>
>>35002247
I just went through MEPS. I smoked weed once, didn't lie. No DQ. No waiver.
>>
>>35003033
>I just went through MEPS. I smoked weed once, didn't lie. No
How the fuck did that happen?
MEPs flip out at everything.
>>
>>35003029
Yep, recruiter needs to do a SPF. It takes 2-3 days. I'm 99% sure that's the problem.

t. someone who wanted in limbo months for a problem that could have been resolved in 2 days
>>
>>35003056
Don't know, I have heard that different MEPS are more lenient or more stringent. I need a Secret clearance so I didn't want to lie when that could bite me in the ass.
>>
>>35003076
He did do the SPF.
It got me out of the AF process but can't get me in the Army process for some reason because it's processing at MEPs or some shit.
Any idea what could be wrong?
>>
>>35003133
He probably didn't do the SPF

Not to be dickish, but I swear to God same thing happened to me.

>same problem transfering docs from Marines to army
>"Need a SPF"
>weeks go by
>turns to months
>recruiter gets cycled out
>new recruiter "they never did the SPF"
>>
>>35003153
Well he was the one that said he was doing a SPF right when we did the process, unless it did it wrong?

But if he did it wrong how would I have been taken out of the AF data base thing?

If it is a SPF thing, any idea how I could suggest him to redo it without looking like a dick?
>>
>>35003200
Tough call dude. Did you talk to the boss? The guy who runs the station? Usually an E-6
>>
>>34999527
I'm 20, love my country, and have been considering enlistment for 5 years now.
>>
>>35003217
The recruiter is really cool, (unlike my dickwad AF recruiter) he's talked to his higher ups about the problem to try and fix it.

I always assumed talking to a higher up wasn't a great idea for any branch when trying to join? It's why I left the AF because my recruiter didn't do shit to help me but I figured a higher up wouldn't care because I had 'medical problems' and they have so many people always trying to join.
>>
To all OCS applicants: how long have you been waiting for?
>>
I hurt my knee slightly like 2 months ago by doing squats wrong.
The pain is only 3/10 and I am fine when running, should I ignore it until I do basic training, or get it checked out, and risk the doctor wanting to do something about it?
I already went through medical history hell for MEPs so I'm scared of them thinking I am accident prone.
>>
>>35003033
>I just went through MEPS
Where? Please say Houston so I can hope I get the same guy
>>
>>35003033
bull fucking shit lol
>>
>>35003377
OKC, come on up from the flood!
>>
>>35002247
>>35002549
>>35002582

>Just try to beat the polygraph about something that will not even get you DQ'd.

Idiots.

>>35003033

The only right answer.
>>
>>35003420
I went to OKC, they wouldn't have allowed you to I don't believe that shit hahahah
>>
>>35003424
Polygraphs are just a bunch of fake shit anyway. You'll fucking pass one trust me
>>
>>35003420
Can't, my house is surrounded by water and I didn't air up my floaties.
>>
My friend joined the Marines and admitted to smoking weed, she was able to join, but had to have paperwork of the day she smoked weed. She made up a day because she couldn't remember the exact day but now has to always remember that day.
>>
>>35003448

Said like someone that has never actually had to take a polygraph for government employment.

They're really shitty lie detectors, but that's not what they're being used for in this situation anyways. With a well-trained polygrapher they're excellent interrogation tools, and the best you can hope for to "defeat" them is generally an inconclusive result. Guess what an inconclusive result gets you when you have to pass a polygraph for the job you want? It gets you kicked to a different job.
>>
File: 1444261471579.jpg (60KB, 450x472px) Image search: [Google]
1444261471579.jpg
60KB, 450x472px
>>35003432
Well shit I believe it. Because I'm fucking shipping in January.
>>
Good APFT, but 3-4 pounds over my max weight regularly. Didn't really come off like I hoped.

I can make weight eating light for a few days, and maybe fasting the day of.

Shipping next week. I know they weigh me at MEPS, but do they weigh you at reception too? If yes, how many times over the in processing period?
What if you are over?
>>
So consensus seems to be that I don't lie and just admit that I smoked weed one time years ago and hope they let me sign a paper for it? I'd rather not get caught in a lie on a polygraph, that's for sure.
>>
>>35003466
I think it's sooo dumb that polygraph test are used for government jobs when they have been totally debunked as fake. They can't even really tell if you're lying. Can you fail even though for a fact you aren't lying and nothing is wrong with you?
>>
>>35003475
Enjoy it man, shit fucking sucks. What you going for?
>>
>>35003511
13F
>>
>>35003500
>I think it's sooo dumb that polygraph test are used for government jobs when they have been totally debunked as fake

Again, they've been debunked as lie detectors, but trained polygraphers don't use them as lie detectors so that's entirely irrelevant. They're very effective at what they actually do.

> Can you fail even though for a fact you aren't lying and nothing is wrong with you?

Failure is extremely rare. Failure has significant consequences, including getting your whole clearance yanked. An inconclusive result is much more common, and generally means you just don't get the job, or you might get another chance to try and pass.
>>
>>35003524
I went as 11x, reception is the worst part. Everything else is manageable.
>>
File: 1499897999615.jpg (33KB, 325x332px) Image search: [Google]
1499897999615.jpg
33KB, 325x332px
>>35003552
Thanks for the the advice my man.
>>
>>35003270
>>35003217
>>35003200
>>35003153
what does SPF stand for?
>>
>>35003552
where did you go to OSUT?
>>
>>35003843
Sandhill, Ft Benning.
>>
Why does MEPS want us to lie? Surely they should appreciate our honesty more.
Thread posts: 364
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.