[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /k/ give me the skinny on black powder revolvers. Good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: tfwonly36cal.jpg (179KB, 1920x855px) Image search: [Google]
tfwonly36cal.jpg
179KB, 1920x855px
Alright /k/ give me the skinny on black powder revolvers. Good idea for someone who can't purchase a pistol or demonstrably bad idea? Moreover post 1851 Navy pics, they give me a half chub.
>>
While technically legal for felons and people who otherwise can't legally purchase firearms, I wouldn't recommend it. If you get caught with it odds are you'll face the same charges as if it were a cartridge weapon, and even if it gets dropped you'll be fucked by legal fees. That said my Walker is probably the most fun gun I own
>>
>>34985063
It's a gun and like any other gun it spits lead—perfect if you have nothing else. Loading is a process but is simple. Finding actual black powder can be difficult and expensive, so make sure whatever you buy also works fine with black powder substitutes.

Also, be sure to read about chain fires. Here's a good website for explaining them and how they can be prevented.

http://www.geojohn.org/BlackPowder/bps2.html

Happy shooting.
>>
Some dispensary workers carry them here in Colorado, since they can't have firearms in their pot shops. Saw a guy with a chest bandolier with 3 loaded black powder pistols. Actually looked like a badass pirate, knappy hair and shitty breath to boot.
>>
File: longjohndickweed.jpg (44KB, 419x313px) Image search: [Google]
longjohndickweed.jpg
44KB, 419x313px
>>
File: 20170328_180809.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170328_180809.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>34985063
They're great. If you find labor intensive things related to your hobby to be enjoyable, you'll love black powder.

I bought pic related Uberti 1860 Army because I was bored of my cartridge firing guns, and this pistol really added a fun new dimension to my gun hobby. I think they're very relaxing to load, fun as hell to shoot, and way easier to clean than the memes suggest.
>>
>>34985063

They're as deadly as they ever were, as long as you recognize they are totally outclassed in every way by cartridge firearms. If you get all the right stuff, practice a bit, and take your time. You can get good at loading and get one loaded up with high confidence that it'll fire all 6 even after it sits for a while. I would load it up fresh at minimum every week or two though. If you want the most capable, practical version for modern use if there is such a thing, get an 1858 replica or a Ruger Old Army. The Colt replicas are great fun and top aesthetic, but realistically not as good a design for "combat" use.

>>34986617

All these are true. That said, I would like to get a cartridge conversion to use sometimes. Love shooting the gun, but don't always want to go through the entire ritual.
>>
>>34985226
Wrong. Felons are prohibited from owning ANY kind of firearm, including BP. I've heard of people getting seriously fucked over because of this misunderstanding. Muzzleloaders are just exempt from most regulation, but they are still legally firearms.
BTW, in most states you can buy a BP pistol at 18. My first hand gun was a Pietta 1858 Remington I bought when I was 19.
>>
>>34985807
That is fucking awesome. Weed cowboys.

>>34987101
BP guns aren't classified as firearms in a lot of stuff, not sure about federal laws though.
>>
I'm 19
What's the cheapest modernish bp pistol I can get?

Im really sad!
>>
>>34987287
get an 1858 remington, the toppest of BP revolvers
>>
>>34987101
This depends on the state, actually. Federally they are not classified as firearms.
>>
>>34987327
That may be true in a technical sense, but you either love them or hate them when you hold one. I've handled both before buying, and that's how I knew I was a Colt man, otherwise I would have gone with the 1858 on technical merit. I just can't stand how they feel in my hand though.
>>
>>34987535
Personally i wish we could get repro adams revolvers
>>
Fun and cheap to shoot.

Had one for a while in .44 for a while. Got myself a cylinder conversion, and for 10 cents a round, I was shooting cowboy loads.

Just used bulk BP, good brass that almost lasted forever, unless I didn't clean them in time, never needed trimming, all thanks to the low pressure of BP, and because you can only use lead bullets, I just cast my own.

It was a lot of cheap, fun shooting.

You really do end up feeling like a cowboy if you're also wearing a holster.

My grandpa found it was a blast too, having grown up on westerns, and still watching them to this day.

Had to sell my dragoon for school, but while I'd love to have another one, I'm thinking I'm just going to get a repo SSA or some other kind of revolver and roll my own .357
>>
>>34987101
This is false
>>
>>34987838
In some states, BP guns are considered firearms. However, in most cases with a Felon, if they're caught with a BP firearm, it's treated similarly as a lethal weapon and they get fucked by the long shlong of the law either way.
>>
>>34987101
This depends on the state. I know for a fact that it's true in California. As for whether it's true in Nevada or Vermont, I couldn't tell you.
>>
>>34985236
Chainfires don't need long explanation. A wad between powder and ball or grease put on loaded chamber will prevent them in 100%. Grease has the advantage of being, well, grease and oiling the barrel(making fouling little bit less of a problem.
>>
>>34985063
Good idea
Make paper cases prefilled with powder and lead balls
>>
>>34985063
https://youtu.be/9WO2hK0Wwco
>>
>>34985063
Can load quick too

https://youtu.be/-2HUcfAyaaQ
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.