[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spanish 1916 mauser barrel canted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: mauser sight picture.jpg (329KB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
mauser sight picture.jpg
329KB, 1152x2048px
I just got this spanish 1916 mauser and it looks like the entire barrel including both sights is canted a few degrees clockwise. Is there a way to fix this?

The gun is otherwise beautiful with very little wear. I'm willing to pay for a gunsmith.
>>
>>34983323
Take it to a gunsmith and see what he says. I don't know why it would be canted like that. It's possible that the barrel was removed from the receiver and screwed back on impoperly. Is it chambered for 8x57 or something else? If that's the case then their could be a headspace issue as well. Get it looked at.
>>
it more likely the stock is installed improperly or the bedding was fucked up
>>
>>34983323
Are you sure your eye isn't just canted?
>>
Also, have you shot it yet? If it shoots normal groupings then just don't even worry about it. If your grouping drifts like 10 inches to the right or something, then you have a problem.
>>
>>34983516
I can see it I think. Especially the rear sight looks like it's leaning to the right.
>>
>>34983476
I don't think milsurp stocks are "bedded" and the inletting is done by a machine so they should all be exactly the same. If it were sporterized then I might agree. Plus, the inletting being off wouldn't make the barrel/sights not line up with the receiver.
>>
>>34983575
its surplus someone could have bedded it or shimmed it. its been in circulation for a century. just cause it left a factory one way doesnt mean its the same now.
>>
File: resized.jpg (143KB, 576x1024px) Image search: [Google]
resized.jpg
143KB, 576x1024px
>>34983536
Yeah I can see it too.
>>
File: mauser.jpg (243KB, 675x1200px) Image search: [Google]
mauser.jpg
243KB, 675x1200px
>>34983419
It's chambered for 7.62 nato.

>>34983519
Haven't shot it yet but canting will mess up shots on longer ranges. Also the rifle is so nice I don't like the sights being canted.

>>34983536
It is.

>>34983476
Do you think taking it out of the stock could fix it? I haven't been able to yet because the front barrel band retainer is stuck.
>>
>>34983778
>Do you think taking it out of the stock could fix it? I haven't been able to yet because the front barrel band retainer is stuck.
couldnt hurt
you have to do it anyways to inspect and troubleshoot the gun
>>
>>34983778
>It's chambered for 7.62 nato.
F
>>
>>34983805
They were rechambered by the Spanish. It's not a sporter or anything.
>>
>>34984635
I'm not sure what else you're looking for m8. You can take it out of the stock and see if the inletting is the issue, but you said the barrel band is stuck. I kind of doubt that's what the problem is though. Your best bet would be to take it to a gunsmith.
>>
>>34983323
look at it with your other eye.
>>
>>34983323
From the pic, it looks like just the rear sight is canted. I've also got a 1916 in 308 and my rear sight was wicked wobbly. I cut up some soda cans and made some shims to sight it in, although I can't slide my rear sight back and forth anymore.
>>
>>34985170
I know what I need to do to unstick it, I'm gonna try tomorrow. Taking it to a gunsmith soon.

>>34985212
What exactly are shims for and how do you make them?
>>
File: sights.png (533KB, 654x1032px) Image search: [Google]
sights.png
533KB, 654x1032px
>>34985230

shims are flat slim peices of metal used to make something fit properly, here is some more information on what you might be interested in not exactly same problem you are having

http://forums.thecmp.org/archive/index.php/t-88217.html

possible sights for sale https://www.mojosights.com/sample-page/mausers/
>>
>>34983476
Action is straight tho. If it was a bedding issue, the action would also be canted.

I'd make sure the barrel is fully tightened. If it is, take it to a gunsmith. Provided they have a lathe, they can adjust the shank to make the sights straight.
>>
File: 2017-08-26 21.05.29.jpg (1MB, 1060x1883px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-26 21.05.29.jpg
1MB, 1060x1883px
>>34985230
I had to remove the slide adjuster to get a 100m zero, but I placed shims on the left and right side of the sight so my shots weren't going everywhere.
>>
>>34985435
Mine doesn't wobble at all. Doubt this will help, but thanks.
>>
>>34983323
That's what you get for buying a Spanish gun. Fuckin spainish taking our jobs.
If you wanted a real rifle should have gotten a Remnigton 30-06. Doubt that piece of shit would drop a deer from 500 yerds
>>
>>34985435
I bet that not having a slider isn't helping
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.