[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is there no honor in war anymore?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: adamantium jaw.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
adamantium jaw.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
Why is there no honor in war anymore?
>>
>>34979969
There never was moron. Stop idealizing something that never existed in the first place.
>>
>>34979987
yes there was
>>
>>34980037
No, not really
>>
>>34980087
yep
>>
File: But muh honor.jpg (99KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
But muh honor.jpg
99KB, 1280x720px
>>34979969
>honor in war
huehuehue
>>
>>34979969
There should be no honor in war. It's war. You do everything you can to win. If you don't, you're going to lose.
>>
File: 1468268923615.png (4MB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1468268923615.png
4MB, 2048x1365px
>>34980236
you don't have to be ISIS levels of evil though. there are ways to do things
>>
>>34980241
If you're not willing to wipe your enemy off the face of the earth by any and all means available to you, then they're not your enemy.
>>
File: e2e.jpg (72KB, 680x671px) Image search: [Google]
e2e.jpg
72KB, 680x671px
>>34980236
>>34980257
>>
File: dersturmtruppen.jpg (121KB, 952x704px) Image search: [Google]
dersturmtruppen.jpg
121KB, 952x704px
>>34980241
>you don't have to be ISIS levels of evil though. there are ways to do things
Sometimes that involves firebombing and sawing some people's heads off. Read Clausewitz, understand the ideal never meets reality.
>>
>>34980268
See, that's where you're wrong about me. I don't condone violence. I don't even like it. I've never been in a fight. But I understand that if I ever do, I need to do whatever it takes to win that fight. If not, then why fight in the first place?
>>
>>34980241
That's different though, they do that shit off the battlefield where its unnecessary. Targeting civilians and torturing people as punishment.

That's less about honor in war than it is about corruption of people in power
>>
>>34980290
It's a form of propaganda and sending a message. It's all part of war.
>>
>>34980290
Plus, their battle is with civilians. It's with anyone who doesn't share their religious views. That's their battle. Religious based wars are different that conventional warfare.
>>
>>34980296
Then historically war has been much less honourable than it has been for the last few hundred years in the west
>>
>>34980306
Yes. War is not honorable. That's a product of hollywood. There have been times where soldiers have been honorable during war, but war as a whole is not honorable.
>>
>>34979969
No, but that doesn't mean you're not allowed to use it. which has always been the case.. all Honor does is show that you're willing to give the enemy or yourself a chance to be stronger than resorting to basic asspulls that every dick with a brain thinks makes him better just because he won.
>>
>>34979987
Meh. Maybe a little. We never gave the hadjis much respect when I was overseas because those donkey fuckers fight as dirty as possible.

However I watch a lot of war documentaries and in ww1 and even early ww2 many air fighters would say if they got into a dogfight with another plane, and that plane could no longer fight due to running out of ammo, they'd let them go away. It was thought unfair to shoot an unarmed component. Notice I said early ww2, after a while the gloves came off.
>>
>>34979969
Honor was only between nobility/officers of european nations. Rank and file troops were expected to rape loot and summary execute any poor bastard they found.
>>
>>34980236
To be fair the WWII Japan concept of war was that mercy was disrespecting the foe
>>
>>34979969
The industrial revolution.

Like most of the rest of society, war stopped being a noble pursuit by the upper classes and became a numbers game acted out by the lowest common denominator.
>>
>>34979969
Honor is a tool used to make it harder to win wars.

Keep in mind, the USA probably wouldn't exist if we didn't slit the throats of our enemies on Christmas while they sleep.

Ask all those dead people how honorable they feel. I'll wait.
>>
>>34981676
I'll ask a former POW instead mate
>>
Stand in the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters
>>
Honour can be a thing in war between rough equals, where no one expects the war to result in more than a bit of land here or there to change hands. In this case both will be about equally hindered by fighting honourably, and loss of face from not doing so can be as bad a thing as loosing the war. But when you start fighting to complete, crushing victory, where the entire existence of the nation is at stake, then the loss of face from fighting dishonourably becomes nothing by comparison, and you start looking for dirty tricks. And in the modern day of asymmetrical warfare, for the weaker part to fight honourably would just be plain suicide. Standing tall with your banner held high works poorly when your enemy has a Predator drone looking for you. Those who try are quickly weeded out.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.