[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the most accurate semi-auto rife ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: SVD_Dragunov.jpg (43KB, 1200x483px) Image search: [Google]
SVD_Dragunov.jpg
43KB, 1200x483px
I know that long range shooting requires not only a full power cartridge, but also a improved accuracy, that's why bolt-action designs are prefered for "sniper rifles". The French army learned the hard way with the MAS 49/56 that putting a scope on a rifle doesn't make it a sniper rifle.

The only semi-auto "sniper rifle" i'm aware of is the SVD. Are they any other semi-auto rifles adaquate for long range shooting ?
>>
>>34979533

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgrVdNqfDfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBYfbtoSHxo
>>
>>34979533
The SVD is considered a DMR, there are a lot of comparable guns out there.
>>
>take SR-25 or AR-10 pattern rifle
>put scope on it
You now have a sniper rifle
>>
>>34979551
This

Weren't SVD made for the 300-600m distance?
>>
>>34979566
Up to 800m
>>
The Army is currently looking at .300 winmag AR pattern variants, and there are whisperings of 6.5 mememoore being looked at too (but that that with a grain of salt)

You asked what the most accurate is, but please understand that being accurate does not inheritly make it a good military weapon. With no bias I can tell you that a competition rifle of custom nature will beat the shit out of any production rifle. As far as production rifles, the M110 is likely the most accurate current production semi automatic production rifle fielded by a military. However many civilian offerings are contenders if not superiors.

On the subject of what is a sniper rifle, I need a sniper rifle as "I am going to look at something for a long time and fire 1, maybe 2 shots, and engage an HVT" whereas a semi auto rifle is used to "I am attached to a platoon sized element in a fighting position and I am going to repeatedly fire accurate rounds at an enemy element to suppress them while our assaulting element closes with and destroys the enemy. However this is subjective and other people have valid differing opinions. But what do I know, I was only an 8541 for nearly a decade and my school of thought might be outdated.
>>
PSG-1
WA2000
M89SR
M110
>>
The PSG1.

M110 is pretty accurate though.
>>
>>34979533
bolt action rifles aren't inherently more accurate but easier to accurize because you can easily have a free floating barrel and not have to worry about any other parts interfering with barrel harmonics. a bolt action lock up is almost inherently more accurate than something like a semi automatic tilting or dropping bolt locking mechanism, but an AR-15 or AR-10 type rifle can be very accurate because of its consistent multi lug lockup and possibility for freefloating.

so that said, the AR-10 is probably the most accurate and ubiquitous semi automatic precision rifle on the market right now, given you have a good accurized AR-10.
>>
>>34979597
>definition of a sniper rifle
I just asked for accurate, long range semi-auto rifle. That's why i put "sniper rifle" around quotation marks.

>custom more accurate mass produced
Of course. I shall have specified that it must be a purchasable, reliable rifle, not a custom snowflake. Civilian rifles are ok though. Winchester Model 70 was used by the army but never adopted.
>>
>>
>>34979533

SVD is not a sniper rifle it's marksman's rifle.
>>
File: springfield_m1_left.jpg (20KB, 745x226px) Image search: [Google]
springfield_m1_left.jpg
20KB, 745x226px
M1A Super Match
>>
>>34979735
Anon, see >>34979709

SVD is a precision rifle. Can't say that of an FAL or a MAS 49/56. But yes, better not rely an SVD for a 1000 m shot
>>
>>34979533
>>34979648

AR-10 variants with Krieger Barrels consistently 1/4-3/8 MOA
>>
>>34979762
at 11 fucking pounds with no optics and no mag in it LOLOLOLOL
no thanks ill take an ar10
>>
>>34979533
H&K G28
>>
>>34979786
24" Heavy Match barrels and oversized wood stocks weigh a ton.

The Knights SR-25 20" SPR also weighs 11lbs without scope or mag
>>
>>34980017
you can get an accurate ar10 for less than the astronomical prices that springfield charges, that also weigh less. Aero precision, Savage, Armalite etc.
>>
>>34979538
>>34979551
>>34979566
> i watched inrange
> Ian is gun Jesus
>Karl is my husbando
educate yourself, fag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiqfgAFHikg&t=1770s
>>
>>34980043
Oh I know that.

Just comparing apples to apples. The weight of SPR's and DMR's (10+ lb territory) should not be compared to Battle rifles(8-9ish pounds) without scopes.
>>
File: 4thTankDivisionOpenDay17p2-26.jpg (3MB, 2250x1500px) Image search: [Google]
4thTankDivisionOpenDay17p2-26.jpg
3MB, 2250x1500px
>>34979533
>. Are they any other semi-auto rifles adaquate for long range shooting ?
there is the SVDM

heavier barrel
free floating barrel
1913 rail
>>
>>34979725
What was the MOA of those old accuratized M14s/M21s, probably pretty bad compared to something modern like a M110
>>
>>34980101
the problem is they'd walk out in their stock the more you shot after every time you bedded them properly, the accuracy wasn't that bad on the first shots but it would have to constantly be readjusted
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.