[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Realistically speaking, how long must we wait until ballistic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 15

File: 9.jpg (247KB, 660x466px) Image search: [Google]
9.jpg
247KB, 660x466px
Realistically speaking, how long must we wait until ballistic weapons are replaced with something else?
>>
>>34974075
Lol check out the nolasers faggot
>>
>>34974075
Already. Rumor are that ISIS DYI drones with grenades produce 90% of casualties in Syria and Iraq.
>>
File: Fox girl 1911.jpg (129KB, 607x800px) Image search: [Google]
Fox girl 1911.jpg
129KB, 607x800px
>>34974075

I have faith that in a thousand years, when humanity has spread throughout the stars, someone will shoot an alien in the face with a 1911 chambered in .45ACP.
>>
>>34974075

As everyday carry weapons , lasers maybe in 30 years if batteries keep on improving. But then again maybe Gauss needlers might be more practical use of that battery energy. I don't know the science.
>>
>>34974157
I laughed more than I should.
>>
>>34974164
The only issue is lasers that could hurt something are fucking bright, good luck trying to defend yourself from melanin enriched individuals when your blind.
Although they would be blind too, and anyone looking in your general direction would be blind too.
>>
File: 1-Right1[1].jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1-Right1[1].jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
>>34974164
Let's see. A gaus gun needs:

>coils
>batteries electric power
>capacitors

I'd say gauss guns in form of small arms will be a thing as soon as these three things weigh about as much or less than the ammunition + magazines on a conventional firearm.
>>
>>34974157
>1911 chambered in .45ACP.
>not the M2
M2A2 update program in 3017 confirmed.
>>
>>34974157
That's a wolf retard.
>>
>>34974206

This.

Even my little 2w handheld laser is dangerous to look at for even a second. I couldn't even imagine a genuinely dangerous laser weapon.
>>
>>34974075
realistically, after we are able to compress kilojoules of energy into something the size of a D battery. Even still, a hypothetical plasma weapon would have minimal penetrating potential since its only mechanism of transferring energy into the target would be through thermal conduction or radiation. tissue is mostly water which is really effective at absorbing and dispersing heat, think about people getting struck by lightning and besides the heart problems and burst eardrums they usually only have surface level burns, and were talking gobs of electricity and temperatures that rival the surface of the sun, so i think "arc caster" type weapons are pretty much out. so even with a huge breakthrough in energy storage capacity were going to need a quantum leap in some other kind of technology. I think even if we did come up with that technology traditional firearms would still be most commonly used because they would be much cheaper compared to some other crazy sci fi shit. My guess is the next leap in firearms technology will be a gun that is able to adapt from one round to another without changing parts or more likely the world will standardize on 2 or maybe 1 universal cartridge for small arms for maximum compatibility
>>
File: IMG_0173.jpg (46KB, 500x303px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0173.jpg
46KB, 500x303px
>>34974231
>M2A2
This thing?
>>
Ballistic weapon shave been along for far longer than Homo sapiens. They've shown themselves to have a tremendous development potential. Don't expect them to be surpassed within your lifetime.

>>34974229
And how is that not a ballistic weapon? Still, if you want to use batteries instead of gunpowder it's a much better choice than lasers. Kinetic energy is a much more efficient way of causing damage than heat.
>>
>mfw personalized force fields become a thing and warfare reverts to hand to hand combat with knives and swords
>>
File: paul.jpg (35KB, 1011x427px) Image search: [Google]
paul.jpg
35KB, 1011x427px
>>34974372

Forgot my face
>>
File: ................jpg (47KB, 615x410px) Image search: [Google]
................jpg
47KB, 615x410px
>>34974157
>>
>>34974372
>>34974384
Banned by order of the God-Emperor. Learn to enjoy your laser rifle, a "fishing accident" ain't gonna impress his "sufficiently omniscient" Imperial highness.
>>
you could do a rail gun. if you tether it to an exoskeleton that is powered by a JP8 burning micro turbine.
>>
>>34974372
>>34974384
>80's hair styles everywhere when in the books almost every male wore a crew cut or shaved their head.
At least Sting almost got it right.
>>
>>34974438
>Banned by order of the God-Emperor.
More like everybody learned to stop using them after the millions nuclear explosion from the God Emperor's troops firing las guns indiscriminately.
>>
>>34974438
Good thing no one ever figured out that laser+Dune shield = atomic explosion.
>>
File: MaudDib[1].jpg (168KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
MaudDib[1].jpg
168KB, 1920x1080px
>>34974469
neither adaptation has been completely correct with the visuals. Though at least the later SyFy one did the Weirding Way correctly.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>34974497
>you'll never have a private army of lesbians that view you as god.
>>
>>34974075
Honestly I don't see us moving away from kinetic energy weapons period, barring some major advance in technology that can't be predicted or forseen.

For weapons platforms like ships (wet and space) and fighters (atmospheric and otherwise) we might eventually move to laser weaponry, in fact in space combat I'd say it's a must, but not for a while. I seem to remember the Navy having been working on a laser weapons system, but I can't recall any details.
>>
>>34974264
Memeing on how the M2A1 update came almost one hundred years after the M2 was designed.
>>
>>34974548
100 years of a screw on barrel that needs to be properly timed every barrel change.
>>
>>34974497
>>34974504
His original troops preferred the crys knife. But sure, with the breeding programs resulting in an aged paper pusher tossing Duncan Idaho around like a toddler, feel free to force the fish speakers into close combat. I'm sure that'll work out just great for you.
>>
>>34974542
>>34974542
>in space combat I'd say it's a must
I'm not so sure about that...
Once you obtain a firing solution, it'll be extremely difficult to track and subsequently deflect/avoid a kinetic energy attack.
I think kinetic weapons will still be extremely useful in space, especially in planetary orbit.
>>
>>34974534
>dem feels
>>
>>34974164
>>34974229
Gauss is still ballistic though. I reckon you make gyrojet and gauss practical by combining the two. Or try to add a chemical part to the propulsion so that you have extra velocity.
>>
>>34974534
The fish speakers had husbands. Leto II did run a selective breeding program on them. The men just didn't fight.
>>
>>34974075

even if/when technology on earth advances to star trek phaser type stuff, there are still what 500 million guns around ?

the lesser developed countries will still use them
>>
>>34974075
another millennia.
>>
>>34974075
Until energy weapons that are more efficient are made, both in lethality and costs, bullets aren't going anywhere

You know what militaries are like; if it ain't a significant improvement over what they have now, it ain't worth upgrading
>>
>>34974075
they're just gonna be replaced with like telescoped bullets and shit like that. casings acting as a heat sink, brass is an important consideration.
>>
>>34974157
I've always dreamed of being in a distant part of the universe and killing an alien with a genuine Colt revolver that was manufactured at the original facility in Hartford, Connecticut.
>>
>>34974075

A couple of centuries at least. Ballistic weapons just work and they'll be used until something with greater range and lethality comes along. At that point it's hard to say what small arms would look like let alone be like.
>>
File: HAMMEROFTHEEMPEROR.jpg (58KB, 450x611px) Image search: [Google]
HAMMEROFTHEEMPEROR.jpg
58KB, 450x611px
>>34974438
THY EMPEROR IS FALSE
>>
>>34974075
You got it all wrong, OP. Ballistics will never die but the style will. Someday someone will make kraut space magic work and we'll all be packing caseless in our mass driver powered space wars.
>>
File: weaboofaggotsuace.jpg (17KB, 220x293px) Image search: [Google]
weaboofaggotsuace.jpg
17KB, 220x293px
>>34974137
Feel as idiotic as I look rn but source for rumor claims?
>>
>>34974075
THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN MY AR15 IS THE PINNACLE OF SMALL ARMS TECHNOLOGY I WILL NEVER EVEN SO MUCH AS SWITCH TO A BULLPUP
>>
>>34974075

Gunpowder weapons became a thing in the 13th century. They only fully replaced the bow and crossbow in the 18th century(in Europe).

Chances are if anything replaces the gun it will take cebturies to do it and at its infancy it will be shit and expensive.
>>
>>34974075
I doubt that but i could believe all IEDs combined (including manned and unmanned VBIEDs) making up that fraction.
>>
>>34977652
This is depressing. I'd argue that our advances in weapons technology has increased exponentially with time though. Hopefully we'll see the beginnings of some kind of new shit before we die.
>>
>>34977757
You're not seeing "new shit" because new shit is the same shit from your perspective. In the past century-ish we went from black powder single shot muzzle loaders to optimized smokeless powder in fully automatic dead simple machinery. You probly just missed all the improvements looking for some new special snowflake technology.
>>
Ok so what I'm getting from this entire thread is that the AR15s used in Alien Covenant would have been an accurate portrayal of space weaponry?
>>
File: stopping-power.jpg (204KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
stopping-power.jpg
204KB, 1280x720px
>>34974075
Probably here to stay in one form or another. It just so happens that displacing functioning matter with non-functioning matter is highly effective.
>>
>>34974164
>lasers maybe in 30 years if batteries keep on improving
You mean start improving right? We haven't got much of anything past being able to recharge our phones once a day for six months before they go to shit.
>>
>>34977957
Between ~1910 and ~2010 there were almost no improvements in battery tech. Now we've discovered some useful shit to improve batteries and it'll probly be 2030~ by the time that shit is on the shelves.

In ~2150 lasers will still be shit because lasers are not useful at any range (in atmosphere).
>>
>>34974164

>Lazers
Memes. Lazers lack the tissue damage and hydrostatic shock of a gun.

If any energy based weapon is to replace the gun it's going to be something like a micro wave gun that will cook the enemy.
>>
Let's say the treaty against blinding laser weapons didn't exist. Just how effective would they be with today's technology if efforts were made to develop antipersonnel laser weapons?

AFAIK hobbyist handheld 5w lasers can easily cause permanent eye damage from two miles away. How does a shoulder fired 100w infrared laser sound? Damn, it sounds like it would be so easy to sweep an invisible IR death ray around burning retinas from miles away. If the ban didn't exist it seems like ballistic antipersonnel lasers would already be considered obsolete.
>>
>>34978636
*if the ban didn't exist it seems like antipersonnel lasers would already render ballistic weapons obsolete

Sorry for that fucked up last sentence.
>>
>>34978648

>Blinding is killing
M8 if they really became common people would do shit like fit helmets that covered the eyes with a display and use caneras.
>>
>>34979109
If it'll blind your eyes it'll blind your cameras. I'm still waiting for VR to develop some non-shit head displays though.
>>
>>34974206
Laser is racist because redguards reflect less than imperials.
>>
>>34974229
>having to bring sealed kraut spess mageick driver for when inevitably something goes bad in the electronics during a firefight
>>
>>34974676
>it'll be extremely difficult to track and subsequently deflect/avoid a kinetic energy attack
Not really tho. All you'd have to do is change your orbit a bit and in 10 minutes that it takes for the attack to arrive it'll be passing 3km below you. I'm not talking homing projectiles
>>
File: 1480295087632.jpg (80KB, 960x594px) Image search: [Google]
1480295087632.jpg
80KB, 960x594px
>>34974137
I call bullshit.
Despite the famous bombing campaigns and huge air battles that capture the imagination, the snipers, the tanks and MGs, and all other classical imagery 65% of casualties in world war 2 were caused by artillery. Similar stats for Korea and Vietnam, and even Desert Storm artillery racked up a healthy killcount.
Have you seen how many artillery pieces have been involved in this conflict? Maybe the drones are a force multiplier for reconnaissance and spotting. In fact they almost certainly are. But are you seriously trying to tell me tiny improvised bombs dropped by commercial class drones are responsible for more casualties than all the grad / Chinese rockets, mortars, howitzers combined?
In a war that was stalemated and static for so long people were building fucking trebuchets?
Ye nah
https://youtu.be/1OmGDtOa0L8
https://youtu.be/vtWjxzGcXaI
>>
>>34981562
Also for
>>34977531
>>
>>34974157
You should shoot it in the squeedlyspooch if you want a kill.
>>
>>34974157
Thats a fucking wolf idiot. If your going to post hot chicks get the fucking species right you faggot
>>
>>34974350
I think "rail guns" as they are now are balistic weapons. But the idea is at a certan point the "bullet" transitions from solid mass to plasma by the speed and energy dumped into it. Then when it hits a target it suddenly becomes solid mass again and that phase transition releases pure energy and fucks the target up.

Thats how i understand it as explaned to me by a professor who drew furry comics with a bunch of sexy naked mech driving kangaroos

Damn dirty placentals
>>
>>34977992
"Between ~1910 and ~2010 there were almost no improvements in battery tech." Lol lithium ion batteries were invented in n the 1990s kiddo.
>>
>>34983328
they were actually from the 1970s, they just weren't viable til ~2010ish.
>>
>>34983076
That's retarded, why would a solid mass become pure energy mid flight and then resolidify it self when it hit?
>>
>>34979125
>If it'll blind your eyes it'll blind your cameras.
lol
>>
>>34983448
It dosent become pure energy. It becomes plasma. Super heated matter with mass. When it hits something the speed drops it becomes solid again and the the phase change from plasma to solid releases the exextra energy from the original solid to plasma conversion

If anyone can find me that web comic i would be grateful. It has been over 10 years.... fuck im old
>>
>>34981562
>Have you seen how many artillery pieces have been involved in this conflict?

Fewer then what has been on most conflicts before hand in the area. Or rather less firing of it. They mostly ran out of shells for conventional artillery and had to make stop gaps. For that reason I can see artillery making up a smaller share of casualties.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.