[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tomahawk thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

Thinking of picking up a H&B medium camp Hawk for my new camping/hiking axe. Haven't owned a 'hawk before, but I'm thinking I will prefer it to a hatchet for multiple reasons, but admittedly one reason is for its prowess as a historical weapon, and potentially for some 'hawk throwing for fun.

Anyone have good 'hawks they recommend, or prefer hatchets/boys axe/etc over a 'hawk?
>>
How are tomahawks when it comes to processing firewood? I have a hatchet I take camping but I think tomahawks are neat, I just can't justify getting one when I already own a perfectly fine hatchet.
>>
>>34961543
generally inferior, but it can be situational.

Tomahawks have lighter heads with a narrower edge geometry which makes them excellent cutters, but that edge geometry couple by the immediate flaring out at the eye of the axe makes them worse for splitting. which is really where hatchets shine around the camp.

Their shafts are generally a few inches longer than hatchets, but overall weight is often the same or less. I actually like the longer shaft and lighter head for certain wood work, it keeps the work farther away from your body. You can also easily pop the head off and use the cutting edge in a variety of ways, or simply choke up on the 'hawk itself for processing meat/game, and finer wood working uses.

Also, if you are truly out in the field away from it all, if your shaft ever breaks it's quite easy to secure the head to a new shaft with just some whittling. The head is put on from the butt of the shaft, which slowly tapers wider until it's held on by friction. The natural swinging/chopping motion of the axe keeps pushing the head further "out" where it's tightest, so it naturally lends itself to staying tight when you need it to.

This is all based on modern usage of 'tomahawk'. Tomahawk really just meant axe. And back in pioneering days a tomahawk could have been a hatchet(modern style axes are hafted from the top, and a wooden wedge holds it in place), a modern style 'hawk, a larger camp axe, etc....

Nowadays the biggest difference is tomahawk has a round eye, and is hafted from the bottom, which was the early method of making most axes. You can still make a splitter, heavier edge geometry axe this way.

Modern axes are hafted from the top, have a narrower eye, and are held secure with wedges pounded in the top.
>>
>>34961635
Throwin some knowledge at me, thanks man
>>
>>34961678
np.

'hawks are also better for throwing, which is fun but I haven't done in years.
>>
File: 14754063352091.jpg (488KB, 1400x933px) Image search: [Google]
14754063352091.jpg
488KB, 1400x933px
>>34961374
Russian military Spade is more useful, and they look way cooler

they can do everything a tomahawk can
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.