[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I get a bolt action .308 or 30-06?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1163.jpg (41KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1163.jpg
41KB, 640x480px
Well, lads?
>>
>>34961225
Do you handload your own ammo?
If yes, go .30-06 since you can utilize the extra case capacity.
If no, go .308 since factory ammo is negligible in difference between the two options.
>>
>>34961225
.300winMag for when you really want to reach out and touch someone
>>
>>34961225
whats it for? I have a .308 and I shoot 168/175gr SMKs.
>>
>>34961253
What, at 100m?

You need at LEAST .338 to even hit anything beyond what you can throw a rock at.
>>
>>34961245
I do not load my own ammo. I have a buddy that reloads his own .308 though.

>>34961292
Mostly I would just use it for hunting deer. Never been hunting before though so I wasn't sure what to go with
>>
>>34961407
keep in mind ammo commonality there are more options as far as 308 rifles are concerned, with the fact you can get a ar10 for $500, and the popularity of ptr's it might be worth it to stockpile 308 and use it for various guns instead of having another odd caliber you buy but don't use much.
>>
>>34961407
I don't hunt myself but if it was between those 2 calibers I would say go for .308. I think it can reliably kill anything up to elk, but other people can chime in their opinions (inb4 some autist says you can take a moose with a .22lr). It also has less recoil so you can target shoot more if you also want to do that.
>>
>>34961407
>Never been hunting before though so I wasn't sure what to go with
can you hunt bambi's mom in your state with a rifle? check your local laws.
>>
>>34961407
For deer it's 6 one way 1/2 dozen the other. I use 270 for deer. All 3 will give you similar results.
>>
>>34961407
>Mostly I would just use it for hunting deer. Never been hunting before though so I wasn't sure what to go with
If thats the case, go to the local fudd shop and browse used guns and go with whatever it is chambered in. Hunting is not for everybody so there is no real need to go and spend a bunch of money only to find out you don't like it.

>>34961441
Also this. In my home state, you can only hunt with a shotgun or primitive weapons.
>>
>>34961407
>Mostly I would just use it for hunting deer. Never been hunting before though so I wasn't sure what to go with
I'd get the 308. Both are beyond adequate for deer.
And with 308, there's a huge range of ammo options, right down to cheap plinking/practice ammo that's barely over 30c/r before shipping. Pic related.
If you have zero interest in shooting your gun past hunting, then I guess it matters FAR less since it doesn't even matter whether you are paying 25c/r vs $2 a round because you only take a shot or three a year after initial sight-in.
>>
>>34961225
I was about to go precision autist then I saw

>>34961477

This anon is 100% correct, with those calibers especially 30-06, there's no reason to buy new. None of the stock basic guns on the used rack have more than a hundred rounds through them, they'll shoot as well as a new one, and youll spend 20-40% less than a new rifle if you shop around just a little bit.

Buy a nice rifle model with a decent looking barrel in any of the common deer calibers and you can make it work to 300 yards.

7-08
*7rem mag
*30-06
*300 win mag

All are common and will get the job done cheap and efficiently. It's normally a good idea not to buy used custom or tactical looking guns because they're much more likely to have a high round count than a classic unmodified model.
>>
>>34961430
That is a very good point. Didn't even think of it. I'm a new fag with guns so I'm still learning.
>>
>>34961441
In my state I cannot hunt with a rifle, but if I drive 4 hours North it is perfectly legal.

>>34961496
I would definitely do target shooting as well. I'd like to develop overall good marksmanship.

>>34961477
>>34961644
This is probably exactly what I'll do then. There are a few shops In my area that I'll check out this weekend.
>>
>>34961696

Good luck anon. Some pointers for you:

>7 rem mag, 300 win mag, and to a lesser extent 30-06 will hurt to shoot without a muzzle break and you may develop a flinch. The average gunsmith can thread your barrel and build you one for ~200$ and it makes a significant difference.

>your specific gun will have a different POI with different ammunition than another of the same exact model. Find the round that shoots best at a good price for yours.

>3-9x with 30mm tube for mounts is largely the most commonly used. Brand makes a difference, vortex brand is the way to go for cost/quality for what you're doing.

>research free floating your barrel, never lean it on something to fire as it changes POI.

>if you get a wood stock wet it will change the POI

>sight your rifle in for the one ammunition brand you will plan to use and use a lead-sled on a calm day to mitigate error
>>
>>34961850
Thanks for the help, lads. Truly appreciate it. Now time to go get me a rifle.
>>
>>34962078
Tikka T3x.

You won't regret it.
>>
30-06 is more effective but 308 is more common and cheaper.
>>
>>34961225
30-06 will put hair on your chest. Also the round tat killed krauts, japs, and gooks.

308 isn't a bad round but 30-06 is better if you ever decide to get into hand loading. You'll be able to take down anything in North America with either one.
>>
>>34961225
is that mr bean?
>>
8mm mauser

http://www.southernohiogun.com/mauser-m48-rifles-8mm.html
>>
>>34961225
.308 for cheaper ammo and does most things that a 30-06 can do for less recoil. Unless you have grizzlies, moose, and other big game in your neck of the woods.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.