[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hunting Rifles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 15

File: Winchestermodel70.jpg (144KB, 1920x415px) Image search: [Google]
Winchestermodel70.jpg
144KB, 1920x415px
Hey /k/, I'm thinking of getting into hunting and I wanted to ask some of the Fudds on here a couple questions about suggested rifles. First, what would be your recommended bolt action deer rifle? I've read the Remington 700s were good, but quality has gone down substantially. I've also looked into the Winchester model 70s, and they look fantastic pre 1964. Second, optics, what would be your suggestions, I literally have no fucking clue about that shit. Third, and lastly, any advice on purchasing a hunting rifle, what to look for? Thank you.
>tl;dr
Good hunting rifles, post 'em.
>>
>>34959319
Pre-64 model 70 in 30-06. Weaver K series scope.
>>
>>34959319
Old Remingtons and Winchesters are good.
Although the best deal on Bolt guns would have to be Savage. Either the Axis line for ultimate poorfag or get a model 10 or 11.

As for caliber .308, .30-06, .270, 6.5 will all suffice.

Optics. Just find a decent mid tier 3-9x or similar. Stay away from anything less than $300. Dont bother with anything over $1k.
>>
A Tikka T3 will do you just fine.

Remington is shit. Im serious, aviod post Fergus acquisition Remington like the fucking plague.
A ruger precision rifle, and any savage or howa offerings are also superb options.

As far as glass get an SWFA super sniper. (I know, it's the most cringe worthy product name in history) but it's a fantastic product line fielded by most of the western militaries under different names. I would also recommend you get a fixed power scope in the 6x 10x 12x or 16x depending on your needs, until you learn A LOT about optics, dont get a variable power scope.

Is there anything particular you are looking for?
>>
If I could turn back time, I'd probably have gone for a stainless Sako 75 in .308 and paid up for a Swarovski z6i 1-6x24. That said, I bought a Weatherby Vanguard in .308 with a Zeiss Conquest 3-12x50, and have nothing real to complain about, aside from it not being very Gucci, and on the heavier side.
Optics-wise, try before you buy. Find out what the lighting will be like when you hunt. If you're still young and have OK eyesight, you don't need an x50 to hunt in daylight. Same thing with magnification; does the nature of the hunt call for high magnification? You might do fine with a lower power scope, which tend to weigh less too.
>LMAO Anon do you even fucking lift
I do, and I hope you do too, but even Ronnie Coleman would think it stupid to shoot something weighing 6+ kilos from a standing, kneeling or sitting position instead of a supported prone position, instead of a 3-4 kilo gun. Your goal isn't to hump a big gun into the woods and let off one or two shots and then hump it back out again.
>Better to have and not need than to need and not have
You might need a 338 LM gun with an IOR Crusader and a gallon jug suppressor on to shoot from your sniper grade tripod if the world has ended and you see a buck in the next county over, but it will be a bit much for the typical encounter with game, which happens well within 100 metres. The most important thing (shooting wise) is being able to get on target fast, and assessing the shot with particular regards to safe background and your own limitations. Buck fever is real, you don't want to be bogged down with overly heavy gear on top of that.
>>
I'm not sure why this isn't mentioned more, but maybe someone can chime in, it seems to me that the whole "pre 64 Winchester 70" thing is basically akin to saying "Mauser 98 sporter". I would say if that's in your radar you can find sporterized 98s for much less money and get in essence the same function.

I've never owned a pre 64, but I have many mausers and have personally inspected the 70, I was incapable of seeing any significant difference outside of looks/finish.
>>
>>34959319
NEW winchester 70 featherweight 30-06. They are buttery smooth, finish and fit is excellent, and uses a modern version of the pre 64 action.

And as for optics, it depends how much you want to spend, if you want to use mil adjustments(1/10 measurements) or moa adjustments(inches).

On the cheap end for less than 300, get a swfa 6x with mil dot reticle and mil adjustments. OR, get a Primary Arms 3-9x, OR get a Primary arms 1-8x. You dont really need to spend more than 500 on a high end optic for hunting(ill get flak for this comment).
>>
>>34959319
can you hunt deer with a rifle in your state? hit your state's dnr web site and download the hunting/trapping laws [probably a pdf]
>>
File: IMG_0873.jpg (36KB, 686x214px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0873.jpg
36KB, 686x214px
Go with stainless and synthetics. You'll thank me later. Look into maybe getting a tikka t3, also optics really depend on your environment. Some people can get away with a 1-4 with good lenses, others want high magnification and precise windage and elevation.
>>
>>34959319
I'm gonna be using my PTR91 for squirrel this coming fall. Should be a blast!
>>
File: 20160408_153117.jpg (541KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160408_153117.jpg
541KB, 2560x1536px
>>34959366
I can confirm I love mine
>>
>>34959319
Call me a fudd if you want, but I'd recommend a shotgun. You just started hunting, so chances are you won't be shooting ultra far. A shotgun would also allow you to fuck around with skeet/trap shooting and hunting ducks. I hunt with a Remington 11-87.

Also this >>34961233
Make sure it's legal in your state AND IN YOUR COUNTY.
>>
>>34959333
Fuck, I'd love a pre 64. My m70 is a '76 but I still love it
>>
>>34961440
This, OP trust me, quality synthetic stocks are waaaaaaaayyy better then wooden stocks. Put aside your need for aesthitics, guns are tools.
>>
I vote for a Mauser 98 (yugo is like 300 dollars) with a NDT scope mount (80 bucks) and any 3-9
>>
>>34959319

These
>>34959366
>>34959379
>>34959397

If I had to suggest a nice deer rifle to shoot accurately, last a lifetime, be upgradable to something really nice, and not be overly expensive I'd suggest a tikka t3x in 308. It's one of the few rifles under a grand that's guaranteed to be an moa gun out of the box, has a very well built action, and good aftermarket support. 308 because they're cheap with good performance and it means your gun will be a short action model so you can get a high quality stock that accepts AI magazines and a 6.5 barrel later on if you ever feel like splurging. Pic related.

>>34961531

Mate, he isn't necessarily just getting into guns, he said hunting, it doesn't take years of experience to heart/lung a deer at 200 yards with a 243 and up.
>>
>>34959319
What do you REALLY want it for? To hunt or is it for the dick waving contests among friends. To hunt anything 270 308 30-06 7mm 300 is fine even a 300 dollar savage. Its really not that critical. If you live in the eastern us a 30-30 may be better for punching through bushes. Don't overthink it. Also check out pawn shops. Some great deals on hunting rifles to be had there.
>>
>>34959319
Go to a pawn shop and find a used Savage in your caliber of choice.
I paid $150 for my Savage 110 in 30-06 and I came with a pretty cheap/shit (but it still had one) scope.
I'd suggest either .308, .270, .243, 30-06 for a good deer rifle
>>
get a savage or a ruger american matey
>>
>>34961794
Come on, half the fun in hunting is campfire banter about gear and guns with old people while drinking nasty coffee.
>hurrr Anon I don't see your three aught eight killin anythin but squirrels why ain't you got a thirty aught six
>this here 416 Rigby will kill the moose so dead, we'll be takin next year's tag too
>you best hope it's a big one, your cowboy gun couldn't hit a sleeping barn door at ten paces
>what's this semi automatic Rambo nonsense you got, you best believe you'll be hauling it out when the iron horse breaks down on account of the animal being full of lead
>why ain't you got a wood stock, are you legit too lazy to dab a few drops of oil on your stock every year
>suppressor? Electronic ear pro? You fancy little shit with your precious little faggot ears say WHAT
>your camo is shit and I can hear it rustling when you breathe
>it ain't a Swarovski, it's fuckin SHIT and you might as well be looking through a half full glass of Coke
>fuck your fancy Goretex neoprene mumbo jumbo boots, leather is where it's at
>>
>>34959319
>First, what would be your recommended bolt action deer rifle?
Winchester model 70 with Timney trigger.
>>34959319
>I've read the Remington 700s were good, but quality has gone down substantially.
They are shit.
>>34959319
>optics, what would be your suggestions
Swarovski Z3. If you can't afford that, get a Leupold VX 2 until you can.
>>34959319
>any advice on purchasing a hunting rifle, what to look for
Look for a Winchester Model 70. They have them on Budsgunshop.com. You want a reliable, easy to use, accurate, powerful rifle. That's what the Winchester is.
>>
>>34959319
Try out a Browning Medallion. The trigger is perfection. It's also a beautiful rifle. Pic related.
>>
File: 0809172059~2.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
0809172059~2.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>34961205
This guy knows what's up
>>
>>34964493
Thank you, I do.
>>
Browning AB3 is solid. Just got one in 308 last week
>>
File: tikka.jpg (54KB, 1090x491px) Image search: [Google]
tikka.jpg
54KB, 1090x491px
>>34959379
>Tikka
This. 100% this. I fucked around buying a Mossberg, then a Remington, then a Ruger American, and finally got a Tikka CTR and I fucking love it. The T3 lites are nice hunting guns too.
>>
>>34961832
Savage stocks are beyond terrible though.
>>
File: 20170808_175018.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170808_175018.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>quality classics
Model 721 .30-06
>>
>>34961561
The prices on pre 64s are dropping.
>you will never hunt human beings in the jungle with a pre 64 on the government's dime
Feels bad.
>>
Jumping in here.

I've looked at Mossberg MVPs, specifically Scout in .308. I really like iron sights. Are they shit rifles for hunting, or in general?
>>
>>34959319
>Winchester model 70s, and they look fantastic pre 1964

Post 2008 Winchester 70 is objectively the best. A return to controlled round feed across the whole line, but they have an anti-bind tab that improves cycling, and the extractor is modified so you can drop a round directly into the chamber. Also, you're not taking a collectible rifle out into the field. I have a sporter in .30-06 as my primary hunting rifle, and I have 0 regrets. Would recommend to anyone.
>>
I'm thinking of buying a Ruger American Predator in .308 and putting a SWFA Super Sniper or Vortex Diamondback on it. What do you think of that choice, /k/?
>>
>>34965815
not a bad choice. Ruger American is probably one of the better cheapies. if you can toss a little more cash at it, I would recommend Tikka though. Another brand that often gets overlooked it Thompson Center. I shot one of their compass rifles and it was actually pretty nice.
>>
>>34965759
I thought they went back to a controlled feed in the 90s? My 2005 is CRF. In any case, I agree, the pre-64s are for collecting, the new model 70s are for hunting.

Although, they are made in Portugal or some fucking place now which really chaps my ass.
>>
>>34959333
>>34961561
>>34965374

New production (post 2015) Model 70s have the controlled feeding bolt that pre-64 models had, plus a couple features that make them more reliable than pre-64s.

Buying a pre-64 gives you a rifle built by a series of craftsmen. Buying a post-2015 gives you CNC-level precision and a warranty.
>>
>>34966003
I'd wager the pre 64 rifles are more reliable than new ones. I trust milled steel trigger components more than stamped tin and metal injection molded. I'd also place one piece bolts over multi piece.
>>
>>34965815
Get a Winchester Model 70 or a Tikka t3x in .308 or .30-06; whichever is more available to you.

As for scope, buy the best scope you can afford. You can Find Nightforce NSX models for ~$1300, and Leupold Mark 4s for ~$800
>>
>>34966045
Not being confrontational, serious question: you would keep the factory trigger? I consider the cost of a Jewell trigger to be a part of the cost of a new rifle. As forthe bolt, I honestly thought they still made a solid bolt.

You could always get a rifle from Montana Rifle Company.
>>
>>34961713
Anyone who buys a milsurp rifle these days to hunt durr with is a fool. Spend about the same and get something that came new from a factory, has a warranty, uses a cheap and widely available caliber of ammo, and has a wide variety of spare parts and aftermarket options around for cheap. Milsurp is for collectors only.
>>
>>34966045

Bolt bind, broken extractors, 60+ year old wood stocks that are usually cracked and warped...

At this point, you either have a "shooter" pre-64 that's well worn and well used and starting to pay for it, or a pristine one that shouldn't get hauled around in the field. And none of the components you just listed on the new M70's are at all failure prone.
>>
>>34965759
>Post 2008 Winchester 70 is objectively the best
This. I have one, and it's better than sex.
>>
>>34966095
Get a Timney. They are flawless.
>>
>>34965998
What really pisses me off is that most brandnames dont make scope mounts for the FN built winchesters. Badger ordnance doesnt even make em. I tried one from egw that they said worked and it didnt. Eventually got a brownells one that was crooked but fit. And recently said fuck it and ordered winchester brand talley rings direct from winchester that were poorly made. Luckily i knew how to bed mounts and lap rings otherwise my scope would be all over the fucking place.
>>
>>34966292
Use Talley rings. They are the best money can buy. Be sure to use the correct length screws.
>>
>>34966305
I agree. Conversely, Leupold rings were designed by someone that has never mounted a scope
>>
>>34966095
The Model 70 trigger is actually pretty good. The pre-2008s are hella reliable and can be tuned pretty easily. The new triggers are supposedly pretty good as well and similar to a Timney (mine are all pre-2008 so its just what I've heard).
>>
>>34966305
I did, i said i got them direct from winchester. Unfortunately they cost 30 bucks more than if i were to just order from talley, but i didnt want to get fucked over again. I got the integrated ring mount. And they are solid, now that i bedded and lapped them.
>>
>>34966400
Agreed. New trigger is as good if not better than my timney. Only negatives is mine had the trigger adjustment screws glued over with strong ass industrial glue, so i cant make my trigger lower than 3lbs.
>>
There's a LOT of used bolt-action rifles in the racks these days.

Used Remington 700's from the 70's thru the 90's were good- they just need action bedding, a crown, and a trigger job- but I'd probably put a decent aftermarket trigger in it. Don't overpay- do your comps.

The less practical and more obscure the caliber the cheaper it should be. I'd probably stick with .243, .270, .308 and '06. Keep in mind you're gouing to spend the cost of that rifle on glass.
>>
>>34966529
If you're hunting with your rifle, it's safer to keep your trigger between 2.5-3lbs. Mistakes can happen, and most shots should be taken as close as ethically possible. Hair triggers on mountain rifles are bad mojo.
>>
I want to get into big game hunting (and my state allows bear hunting, black but a bear is a bear), and I've been looking for a Ruger M77 in .300WM to accurize and customize into a dream build. Anyone know of a reputable retailer that has some in stock that isn't Armslist or GB? I know there's one on Armslist in my state that I can afford, but I'm not driving 8 hours to find out it's been abused. (Seller won't post/send any more than the 3 shitty pics on the page that looks like their in 480p and shot in shitty lighting.)
>>
>>34966045
>milled steel trigger components
The post-'15 triggers are all wire-EDM barstock steel. No MIM in them.
>one piece over multi piece bolts
If you break either, you have ROYALLY fucked up somewhere down the line. Such as dropping the bare bolt from great heights onto concrete, repeatedly.
>>
Browning XBolt my guy
>>
>>34966696
If you don't torture test your rifle like you're SOCOM in 1991 and it's a Mark 23 you're wrong.
>>
>>34965561
They're both.

It's a good idea. They're accurate rifles. Mossberg just can't into centerfire rifles and you will have problems with one.
>>
>>34959319
Go for Ruger American chambered .270
Steady budget rifle that holds up Ruger's promise to save money and not compromise quality. I abused mine through mud, snow and rain and it held up well. It shoots smooth, steady recoil, beautiful action and with the .270 you are assured to drop most four legged things in most conditions. If you are looking for a basic hunting rifle that can be used well go for it.
>>
>>34966613
>2.49lb trigger
>hair trigger
nigga....

I've got a 12oz Jard in my hunting rifle. Sometimes I wish it were lighter. Never had a negligent discharge, ever, with anything. Never will, 100% guaranteed, because I'm not a mouthbreathing chromosome hoarder.
>>
>>34966305
Warne is a very close second, especially their QD rings.
>>
>>34959366
would add .243 as excellent deer round
>>
>>34966833
Depends on if it's legal in the state he hunts in. While barely legal in GA to use .243 on deer, nowhere near legal in IN to use it on deer. Yotes, yes. Deer, no.
>>
>>34966854
5.56 is legal to use in GA... have seen it perform very well with soft tip rounds - just sayin
.243 is ample to drop a deer
>>
>>34966887
GA has top tier hunting laws most other state residents can only dream of. its like you guys are awash in whitetail.
>>
>>34966854
IN has fucked up laws about having to be a straight-wall caliber to "reduce range".

No state requires larger than 6mm minimum bore diameter for deer and only 2 states do for any other game animal.
>>
>>34966854
>Yotes, yes. Deer, no.
in illinois its open season on yotes except when deer season is open. then shit gets locked down and anything not legal for deer is very much illegal to carry.
you can even spotlight yotes. terminate with extreme prejudice.
>>
>>34966887
>>34966911
GA is awash in whitetail but they're nowhere near the size of other states until you get onto the west or north side of the state. Go hunt in the Midwest and let me know when you find a full grown buck on the east side of GA the size of a 2 yo buck in OH/IN/IL. Spoiler, it won't happen.
>>
>>34966613
I use mine for precision shooting, and .5lbs is noticebly different to me. But thats just a preference. Where its stuck at now is still fine.

Btw, mine is set up as a modern take of the vietnam version. New m70 featherweight in 30-06, with an swfa 10x hd, scope level, and montana leather sling.

Featherweight barrel, to make it as light as possible to carry. 30-06 to give it an extra boost. Swfa 10x HD for durability and reliability. Montana sling for faster adjustment than the 1907 sling.

I just finished my dope book last week for actual adjustments for every 20 yds out to 1000yds. Took me a long ass time, because of weather, and waiting 10min every 2 shots for barrel to cool. I have a spot in nevada thats just one long ass ravine about 6 feet deep and almost exactly the same depth for 1300yds. No wind and relatively straight. I set up colored flags and targets every 20yds using a laser range finder, and every time i completed 100yds, i moved the targets further to the next 200yds etc. Took me 7 weeks to complete it. I did 3 different loads. 175gr black hills match for distance shots, remington core lokt 150gr for hunting out to 500yds, and a 178gr handload for when I run out of the blackhills match ammo. My best group is .34moa at 100yds, and 7 inches at 1000yds.

I will say the m70 rifles have really good barrels, you just need the right load. Unfortunately they make their 308 rifles with a 1:12 twist so youre gonna have to handload sub 170gr ammo if youre wanting to reach out to 1000+. I mean its a good twist rate for hunting, just not for precision shooting without breaking the bank.

I would post a pic, but i would have to download the pic onto computer to resize it.
>>
>>34966887
think it 8 does and 2 bucks where I hunt lol.
The state is overrun with them... farmers are given permits to kill upwards of 50 a season to protect crops. Story goes they gut shot deer on their fields so they dont have to move em
>>
>>34966920
I always use a shotgun in IN anyway. Just my personal preference.

>>34966931
Yeah, IN is year long, no limit, any weapon. We used to run bets on who would bag the most, the biggest, and best quality of pelts. It was a madhouse.
>>
>>34966911
this >>34966951 was meant for you
>>
File: IMG_5496.jpg (522KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5496.jpg
522KB, 2592x1936px
>>34966937
pic taken sunday before last on my nature walk in the chicago burbs
excuse the potato quality as my tablet is 6 years old now
>>
>>34959319

What do the hunters of /k/ think of .300blk as a deer round? I got a bolt gun in it mostly for fun at the range and a suppressor host, but I was wondering if it was any good for non shtf practical purposes?

I'm getting ROUGHLY the same arcs as my Wasr, but I'm not sure how much energy is really left in the projectile at the end of it. For someone hunting in NW Pennsylvania woods (never even heard of a shot over 300m in our terrain, and probably wouldn't even take that myself), is it viable enough?

>I know, I know, "Shot placement," but I'm talking real world margins of error and impact energy on center mass
>>
>>34966980
Thing is, down here and GA, that's considered a monster. When I moved here from IN, people thought I was lying through my teeth when I told them that we used to shoot deer that were over 150lb on the hoof. The biggest I've heard of locally was like 90lbs or some shit.
>>
>>34959366
>Stay away from anything less than $300

Some cheaper optics are fine, but you really have to know what you're looking for. Prostaffs, for example, are pretty good for hunting purposes. I wouldn't push one to 1000yds, but for almost all practical hunting they're reliable, sturdy, and clear enough. Usually had at around 200ish.
>>
>>34966982
People overestimate the lethality of gsw's in my opinion. Place the shot well and it's not going to run more than 20 feet.
>.300blk meme round is meme but probably still gtg
>>
>>34967002

Can confirm. Stationed in GA at Fort Gordon. Deer there were like german shepard sized. It was sad.

Same in California, for whatever reason.
>>
>>34966982
Shot placement is King, but you already know that. .300BLK has roughly the same energy output as 7.62x39, so I would say it's fine for deer. Know your arc, know your range, have fun.
>>
>>34967002
a few years back when chronic wasting disease was more prevalent they increased the bag limit to 2 per season
its back to one per license per season now and holy fuck the hoops you gotta jump through to register a kill
>>
>>34967011
>>.300blk meme round is meme but probably still gtg

Oh, it definitely is, but even out of my homemade (but DEFINITELY REGISTERED MR LAWMAN, RELAX) 4003 suppressor, it's QUIET. That's reason enough to keep a hundred rounds on hand for some bullshitting at the range and a spot in my safe.
>>
>>34967002
>Move to GA from OK fer muh schoolin
>The fucking bag limit is 10
i was wondering what was up with that
>>
>>34967021
Dude, the first few deer I saw down here I actually thought were goats until I got closer. Freaked me the fuck out. But, now I have a new goal. Kill a deer with a revolver. My .357 BlackHawk should work wonders for that goal as well.
>>34967027
Oh shit. We were pretty good at keeping that shit out of our herds, thanks to lots of DNR guys and people volunteering to help the DNR with that. Only a few cases of it in the county I used to live in. Got stupid lucky.
>>
>>34967047
someone at coca-cola hated bambi
>>
>>34967047
It's because they're all fucking tiny, dude. Unless you go to the western border and find one that's been fattened up on a field it's whole life. But then you risk stepping on the toes of a hunter whose "been watching that one for years".
>>
>>34967064
>But then you risk stepping on the toes of a hunter whose "been watching that one for years".

Fucking a.

For as much as we pick on fudds, you do not mess with Bubba's deer.
>>
>>34967047
they make for excellent crock pot roasts ;)
>>
>>34966045
Post '64's are better rifles than you think. The whole CRF argument really doesn't matter for bambi.
>>
>>34967072
Oh lord no. No no no. I had an extended family member who hunted on our land (in tight with the DNR, kept fuck heads off the property) and he actually knew every deer on the property by sight and knew how old they were and knew where they liked to bed down and eat and all that shit. It was kind of obsessive stalker ish.

>>34967073
I don't think I've ever in my life had a beef roast as good as a venison roast. And now when I make burgers I mix 50% venison with 50% beef. You would not believe how much better a burger tastes with that mix. Dear Fucking God.
>>
>>34967097
or bison or boar or ostrich yes ostrich i shit you not its the best red meat ive ever had
>>
>>34967112
Had a bison steak once, cooked by a woman who had no business cooking any steak. Holy fuck was it awful. Now, fried Gator tail. . . Shit yes. And now that I'm in GA, I can say wild boar is awesome. So much fun to hunt, good meat if you pick the right sow to blast, and cooks just like farm raised. And I think I had Ostrich once. But it was mixed with something else to give it a more familiar taste. Oh and Iguana. Those things taste good too.
>>
>>34967072
>"been watching that one for years"
from a stand in a tree, sitting still for hours to no avail, soaked in deer urine in hopes of attracting one, but i still havent bagged it

fuck him. shoot it.
and i say that being #fudd4lyfe
>>
>>34959319
get a marlin 512
is a rifled 12 ga. designed for slugs
>>
>>34967149
>from a stand in a tree, sitting still for hours to no avail, soaked in deer urine in hopes of attracting one, but i still havent bagged it

Waiting for it to mature, grow, and be worthy of a story someday.

You're an idiot.
>>
>>34961674
>quality synthetic stocks are waaaaaaaayyy better then wooden stocks.
Why?
>>
>>34967193

They hold up to the elements better, they don't flex as much (weight for weight. A heavy wood stock is still more stable from mass alone), they're harder to damage, you don't have to worry about cosmetic issues, lighter, easier to bed correctly, QC is more consistent and less prone to 'bad trees'

Not even that guy.
>>
>>34967187
not legal to stalk deer in illinois
>>
>>34967230

wtf are you talking about?
>>
>>34967213
wood is more aesthetics imo. Besides, makes for a fun project of refinishing after 30 years of use
>>
>>34967252
which word doesn't make sense to you
>>
>>34967213
That's sort of in line with what I expected. I bought my first rifle and it's no joke bruising my shoulder. I've been considering getting a wood stock for it just so I can get better with it.
>>
where im coming from
https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/documents/HuntTrapDigest.pdf

your states laws are better, i know.
>>
>>34967279

What caliber is it? If it's bruising your shoulder, you're not holding it right, or it's WAY too big for how you're shooting it. Not all rifles are comfortable to shoot, but unless you're loading up with some serious magnum shit it shouldn't be physically hurting you.

Getting a wood stock isn't going to help you shoot better. It'll just be more forgiving because it's heavier. You still need to learn how to get a good weld and posture.
>>
>>34967265

How is knowing the animals that frequent your property stalking?
>>
>>34966749
If you're not a mouth breather, you're the exception. I don't bullshit when it comes to safety, even on a Mongolian finger puppet exchange forum. I'm setting my 6.5 SAUM sheep rifle to 1.5lbs. I like a little tactile response to my triggers; 12oz is too light for me. Regardless, you do you man.
>>
>>34966982
Killed a deer last winter with a 7.62x39 which is very similar to .300blk. It was at 235yards according to our rangefinder, and the round exited on a broadside shot.
>>
>>34966941
Nice. I recommend triggers with a little weight to randos on the internet. Most hunters I've met are double digit IQ encino men.
>>
>>34966645
Anyone have any info on this one ?
>>
File: Vanguard.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Vanguard.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I use a Weatherby Vanguard Youth with a Redfield 3-9 optic. Saw the combo on sale for $300, and I couldn't resist.
>>
>>34967321
It's just 30-06 180gr. After 10 shots or so I just have a bruise on my shoulder. It's not too bad but I can't really do more than 10 per couple days.
>>
File: imgp4485.png (241KB, 1000x664px) Image search: [Google]
imgp4485.png
241KB, 1000x664px
Bump from the depths.
>>
>>34968114

Consider a recoil pad. They're not going to help with your form, but at the very least they'll save you some pain. Limbsavers are, well limb savers.
>>
>>34967003

Optics have improved so much that you can get functional glass at a surprisingly low price point now. I think it's a matter of keeping it simple more than anything else. I picked up a VX-1 for like 250 syrupbux a few years ago. 3-9x40, fixed parallax, simple reticle. Very clear and bright, no problems with it whatsoever.

>$199 CHINESE AMAZON 2.5-20X50MM ILLUMINATED RETICLE ADJUSTABLE PARALLAX MIL DOT RANGEFINDER

Strictly for optimists.
>>
>>34959379
Know of any fixed 6x scopes that aren't as large as conventional scopes?
>>
>>34969738
Youre gonna have to look at 22lr or pistol scopes, or ww2 scopes, or scout scopes. But each has their own issues
>>
>>34968114
Sounds like a feather weight rifle , you could add weight to the front or get a new stock if you wanted to go that route, Muzzle breaks work as well.

Or

>>34968373
Just make sure you're pulling the rifle into your shoulder with a hair more force than is required to pic the weapon up one handed.
>>
Is it worth the money to buy something like a t3 lite if I don't want to spend like $500 on a scope?
I don't plan on hunting or doing long range shooting for a while, but I've just been thinking about it. $500 too much for me rifle wise, but I don't seem myself spending more than $350 if that on a scope, at that point should I just be buying a lower end rifle like a axis or one of the savage 11 hunters that are $300 with scope after rebate? Or maybe a Howa 1500, since I like the fact it has the internal box magazine with the metal floor plate.
>>
>>34969961
I meant to say that $500 isn't too much rifle wise for me.
>>
Any VA anons here? I'm thinking of getting into hunting myself and don't know if i should pick up a bow or throw the extra money down for a rifle (looking at a tikkas T3 in 308) other than that what else would i need? Camo clothes? A good knife? I'm not really looking to get into it for sport, more for just adding a useful tool to my skill set
>>
>>34970232
Getting into hunting later in life can be daunting. Mainly because the guys that are serious about it were born with a deer rifle in hand. Personally I would pick up a rifle or shotgun (depending on state/county laws), either some Mossy Oak camo or Real Tree (again, pick what matches where you live), and a good skinning knife that's made for skinning/hunting. Don't skimp on a hunting knife either, because if you buy a good one, you'll keep it the rest of your hunting career. A Tikka will outlive you when handled correctly, solid choice. And personally I think .308 is Gods caliber for hunting (until you get into the really big animals). I personally went with a Benchmade Saddle Mountain Skinner as my new hunting knife. Yeah, it's a mouthful to say, but it works damn good and does exactly what I need it to.
>>
>>34970324
I appreciate the help amigo, i have an esee 4 already, think that'll work? I don't know if there's an optimal blade length or something
>>
>>34970232
Is there a hunting safety course you have to take?
Any clubs, hunts, or anything at all in the way of organisations for hunters?
Learning on your own is doable (if a bit overwhelming), so having someone to teach you and get you started could be a godsend.
I'm not an American, but after getting my hunting permit, I went to a target shooting competition hosted by the local hunter's union office and gathered what info I could. Lots of nice people. I ended up having a good few cups of coffe with one of them while working out what I needed and, almost more importantly, what I didn't need. Making a mean Oreo Fudge and bringing a bottle of Four Roses single barrel doesn't exactly make people regret helping you, either.
tl;dr be proactive, ask questions, show interest, and you'll get all the help you need.
Don't rush off and buy a bunch of junk you might not need at all.
I'm loath to share my gear list with you not because I'm a stingy fuckin dickhead, but because it was made for what's likely a fairly different way of hunting than what you'll be doing.
>>
>>34970474
You want something with a relatively thin edge, I prefer a deep belly in the blade, and if possible some jimping on the spine. I've used "combat" purposed knives for skinning hogs out before, and while they do work, they're normally a little thick for delicate work. My Skinner is roughly half as thick as the blade I used before, and it works wonders for all the different parts of breaking down an animal if you need it to.

But the real purpose of a skinning blade is just that, skinning. Fillet knives work well for processing meat off the bone, and most out door stores sell butcher kits that will have a pretty solid set of knives and cleavers in them. And yes, you will use the cleaver and bone saw that comes in the kit.

I also personally hate a gut hook on my skinning blade. I want it to be its own separate tool, because I feel like it makes the knife too busy and most of the time the hook is on the wrong part of the blade. But again, just my preference.
>>
>>34969976
There's no point in buying an accurate rifle if you're just going to put a piece of shit cheapie scope on it. You might as well buy a Ferrari with a 4-cylinder engine.
>>
File: 557043.jpg (29KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
557043.jpg
29KB, 880x660px
>>34970474
Sorry, didn't see this post.
Yes, it will do beautifully for field dressing most animals. Only thing you need to BEWARE of is puncturing the animal's guts - They'll spill bile(? Stomach contents anyway, acidic and presumably don't taste none too good) and nasty misery fuckin everywhere and can ruin the fuck out of the meat. For this reason, having water and a good roll of paper towels handy is real nice. DO NOT, as in under no circumstances, scrub bile off the meat - There's a film over the meat that protects it, but it gets ruined if you scrub it. If you cannot clean up the bile, wipe off as much as you can with fistfuls of grass and what water you have and get the meat to somewhere you can clean off the rest.

I find that the best way to open up an animal for a beginner is to use a ball knife after making the first incision. Ball knives have, as you'd expect, a ball on the tip, to keep them from ripping up guts and other internal organs. People more experienced in field dressing will make a first incision, then turn the blade horizontally and finish the cut that way, as to not have too much of the knife point prodding around in the animal.
Now, unlike my general list, I'll gladly share of my "hey, I actually shot something and gotta prep to haul it out" list.
>Paper towels, a good roll
>Water for cleaning off blood (carcass and knives)
>Disinfectant for knives and you when you're done
>Gloves
Disposable latex gloves or anything blood/water/chemical proof will do beautifully. I have a pair of heavy duty PVC half elbow-length ones I got from work.
>Knife or two, bone saw, maybe a hatchet
Hatchet doesn't have to be surgical grade, use the one you use to split firewood for your camp fire with.
>Sharpening stone/honing iron to keep the knife sharp.
Dressing larger animals with tough hide dulls your knife fast.
>Game bags
These are bags you can put the meat in that will keep flies away from the meat, but still let the meat "breathe", so it doesn't sour.
>>
>>34970474
Also, this dude >>34970824 brings up some good points. If you have a local shooting club/range and have the time, ask the fudds for info. Or go to your local outdoors store (not a gun store) and ask the old guy behind the counter that's lived there his whole life. Those guys normally have a well of knowledge about the area and when they see that you are showing genuine interest and this isn't a passing fad, they're pretty cool about sharing trade secrets.

Also, his thing about not sharing a gear list: on the one hand I see where he's coming from about his and your hunts being different, so you wouldn't need everything he has and vice versa. But a few things that everyone needs in their backpack (if they take one) is: a solid skinning knife (see above posts), flashlight, batteries, snacks, water (enough is not enough bring more), extra ammo (preferably in a water proof box), extra pair of socks (you'll thank me after stepping in water that's deeper than you thought), rope (unless you bring a deer sled or have instant access to your vehicle), latex gloves, gut hook, GPS (again, depending on area and how well you can find your way out), and depending on area either a small camp axe or a machete. There is nothing worse than missing a vital and getting a gut shot on an animal because one tiny limb in your way made your bullet go just far enough off course to miss the lungs.
>>
>>34971068
The Alfa Romeo 4C is pretty fucking neato though.
>>
>>34971082 >>34970474

Shit I completely forgot paper towels in my list of things everyone needs. And toilet paper, always keep a roll handy. And if you don't have a honing iron/ stone, Like I said previously, a game processing kit should have a Honing Iron, if not both depending on what kit you get.

> What state will you be hunting in ?
>>
>>34971116
I really appreciate the whole breakdown man, I'm in Virginia so I'm gonna do some research about local clubs. Is it a bad idea to carry a sidearm for defense just in case? All i have is a 9mm but i figure it's better than nothing. Also, what kinda scope should i put on the t3? 3-9x, 1-6x? Thanks for taking the time to help out a newbie m8
>>
>>34967003
Got a prostaff 3.5-9x50 BDC for $230
>>
>>34967147
Had a bison steak at ted turners restaurant outside Denver. Fantastic.
>>
>>34971314
I would personally do the 3-9. I use that on my .308, and normally leave it somewhere between 4.5-6. But I love having the ability to see a little further out with that 9x. A sidearm is never a bad idea, because snakes are a real thing, and you have ones that can kill you. I've only ever used my pistol on snakes, but I also keep it with me for hogs just in case they try to get squirrely after they go down.
>>34971372
I had one recently in a little mom and pop stop in the middle of nowhere. Absolutely fantastic. She said she cooked it with just melted butter, worchestershire sauce then put just a smidge of ground pepper on top. Holy shit was it good.
>>
>>34971487
That's for the recommendations man, is there a specific 3-9 that won't break the bank? Also am i good with 9 or should i pick up something bigger in case of bears/hogs/whatever?
>>
>>34971503
PA makes a good cheap one. Nikon is always good.
>>
>>34971503
Nah, 9mm will be fine dude. You gotta think, your .308 will be fine for most things in your state, the 9mm is just for snakes and shit. I would personally go with Vortex, just because of their amazing warranty/customer service record. Friend of mine got one that had a slight drift in zero, called them, they sent him a pre paid box to send it back in, sent him a free replacement, a hat, a shirt, and a letter stating their apologies and they hope they keep him as a customer. But once i get my .300WM I'm slapping a NightForce on it, because that's the dream.

Also, PA, Nikon, and Leupold are all amazing choices.
>>
>>34971503
Depending on the size of your bank, Zeiss's Conquest line might fit the bill. The newer Conquest scopes (V6, I believe), will be a fair bit expensive for a while longer, but older ones should be fine. A used Victory line scope would be even better. Used scopes can be good in general. With a bit of careful shopping, you might find last version of Swarovski/Zeiss/Leica scopes at a really nice price because hunters are a bunch of gear queers who have no qualms about throwing thousands of bucks at new scopes because they're, well, new.
Zeiss's Terra line, however, is less than optimal, but I'd expect it to be out there with Nikon and other budget scopes. Granted, if you can cut through the snobbery, there's nothing wrong with a budget scope if you're just out to hunt rather than counting every single tooth in the mouth of an animal on a moonless night at five hundred yards.
>>
>>34971597
Well damn, that's good CS. That settles it then. Is it worth getting an aftermarket chassis? I saw them mentioned earlier in the thread, any upsides to them?
>>
>>34971727
I have no personal experience with those. Just the base scopes. I have my Vortex and my dads Vortex on QD mounts on both our ARs.
>>
Tikka is the best value in hunting rifles, IMO. .308 or .30-06 are both solid choices.

Anyone have experience with Sig Sauer scopes?

http://www.opticsplanet.com/sig-sauer-whiskey-5-hunting-riflescope-3-9x40mm-second-focal-plane-quadplex-reti.html

$169 is a great price if the scope is halfway decent.
>>
File: boyds.gif (40KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
boyds.gif
40KB, 800x600px
>>34959319
I'm getting a complimentary Ruger American Predator (caliber not determined yet, probably.308). What's the best stock to bed and drop it in? I've been looking at getting a real fancy one from Boyd's somewhere in the $300 range, but I like to keep my options open.
>>
>>34971503
See
>>34971353
>>
>>34971757
Who makes your qd mounts?
>>
File: 20170711_122132-1440x1080.jpg (641KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170711_122132-1440x1080.jpg
641KB, 1440x1080px
What's a decent price to ask for my Savage 10FM Sierra? It's the ultra lightweight .308 and has a Nikon Prostaff scope on it.

I've been listing it for $450 and no takers. Am I asking too much? Should I just take the scope off and try to sell the rifle alone?
>>
>>34971914
manners, or mcmillan are the best of the best. But if you dont want to wait 6 months for the stock and bed job, get a chassis, XLR makes good cheap ones that are as light as my synthetic stocks.
>>
>>34972560
youre listing it at the right price, its just not selling because the brand name is not remington or winchester.
>>
>>34959319
Hey can anyone recommend me some good air rifles? Or at least tell me what should I look for
>>
File: 1493239078467 (1).jpg (696KB, 2051x885px) Image search: [Google]
1493239078467 (1).jpg
696KB, 2051x885px
>>34971727
I got an aftermarket stock for my rifle because my mile long chimpanzee arms and oddly deformed head didn't allow for a good length of pull nor cheek weld. It's a smidge heavy, but it works like a charm. Pic related, it's my (>>34959397) Weatherby in a GRS stock.
>>
>>34961494
I see your scope and barrel, but where's your gun?
>>
Which model t3 should i get? Looking for 308. How available are mags?
>>
>>34967193
Looks worse but is better in almost every other regard. You can submerge the stock and not worry about it. Also way lighter and you get a good stock every time. One problem I do have is that synthetics warm up alot during the summer, makes it uncomfortable to hold. Also if youre shooting alot (and I mean alot) the. you can melt the stock. But trust me, synthetics better for guns that actually see use.
>>
>>34959366
>Although the best deal on Bolt guns would have to be Savage.
This OP.
But I would strongly recommend a 10 or 11, they are better quality for not much more cost. They are basically the same gun though so just get what you like more, the model numbers are literally just numbers.

Axis 2 is okay though, get the hardwood stock Nikon package if you're gonna get one. They are like 400 bucks, sometimes less.
Thread posts: 148
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.