[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know enough to be dangerous when it comes to firearms, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 18

File: e4dd2477125cf372ee87dc712db87ca9.jpg (339KB, 1200x1650px) Image search: [Google]
e4dd2477125cf372ee87dc712db87ca9.jpg
339KB, 1200x1650px
I know enough to be dangerous when it comes to firearms, but I'd like to know more about edged weapons, particularly European weapons from the crusades and feudal japan. Drop all your knowledge on me anons
>>
>>34957054
They were pretty cool.
>>
>>34957054
Swords/daggers
>good for stabbing and cutting and hitting and stuff
>not so good for throwing or long-distance work
Maces/Blunt weapons
>good for hitting things
>not great for cutting stuff
Bows/Arrows/Javelins
>decent for hitting stuff from a distance
>not so great for hitting up close like a sword

That's about all you need to know OP. Get a gerber if you're trying to RP as a knight. Fag
>>
>>34957168

I just wanna know more about weapons :(
>>
A good place to start is Osprey Man-At-Arms. They can be somewhat iffy, but they're a good starting point. You can find all of them in the Historical Wargame General I think.
>>
>>34957218
Forgot where I am. That general is on /tg/.
>>
There's a good documentary here, it's pretty basic stuff but a good place to start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03E7aSD9j8A
>>
>>34957320

Thanks man
>>
File: munich-goth-3.jpg (33KB, 432x304px) Image search: [Google]
munich-goth-3.jpg
33KB, 432x304px
>>34957054
One of my goals is to buy a sword from Albion Swords. They seem to make the highest quality.
>>
>>34957203
>>34957203
>Google Fichtbook
>DL anything that's titled MS XXXX
>Join ARMA
>Join SCA (to learn armor and smithing)
>Search Amazon for "swordfighting books"
>Buy stuff
>JewTube "ARMA" and "Sword Training"
>>
File: CS88ITSB_l.jpg (157KB, 530x1534px) Image search: [Google]
CS88ITSB_l.jpg
157KB, 530x1534px
>>34957670
Cold Steel isn't too bad. I have a italian longsword I got for only $75. The quality is incredible for such a cheap sword.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I6ulWwB99E
>>
Here are some good books on medieval armor, if you want to dowload them in pdfs they should also be on libgen.io or avaxhome

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=186347
>>
File: O6x1zhO.jpg (191KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
O6x1zhO.jpg
191KB, 640x640px
>>34957054
I got ya. All you need to know right here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk59imFr6yI
>>
>>34957054
https://www.youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria/featured
Covering a wide variety of topics about melee weapons and combat. Not so much historical info about the middle ages, more early modern, but a lot about the general way combat works. Guy's a hema instructor and historical sword dealer and doesn't talk out of his ass (so will sometimes refer to others with more info about the actual time period).
>>
you are an autistic pol underage edgy fag op
>>
File: nathan_collection001.jpg (152KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
nathan_collection001.jpg
152KB, 1200x1200px
>Drop all your knowledge on me anons

That could take a bit longer than either of us can be arsed to sit around here. So instead, start with these:
http://www.myarmoury.com/home.php
http://www.koryu.com/
http://www.armourarchive.org/
http://www.armsandarmourforum.com/forum/
http://vikingsword.com/vb/
Read, lurk, go back years through the archives.

I've uploaded some material that may be of interest to mediafire. https://www.mediafire.com/folder/wgpi9t8xto2qc/Weaponry
Most is archives of pictures, which can help at times. "Manuals" contains a number of old fighting manuals (you won't learn it on your own,. but you can learn about it). The most digestible information will be in the pdf folder so read all of that.

>>34957320
That looks horrendous.
>>
File: Gruppbild 7.jpg (400KB, 1359x1067px) Image search: [Google]
Gruppbild 7.jpg
400KB, 1359x1067px
Then it's time to hit the books.

Amdur, Old School
Berg, Svenska Blankvapen, vol 1-4
Capwell, Armour of the English Knight 1400-1450
Capwell, Masterpieces of European Weapons and Armour in the Wallace Collection
Capwell, The Noble Art of Fencing
Edge & Paddock, Arms and Armor of the Medieval Knight
Fiorato, Boylston & Knüsel, Blood Red Roses
Hall, Weapons and Warfare in Rennaisance Europe
Hand, English Swordsmanship: George Silver Vol. 1
Jaiwant, Arms and Armour
Jensen, Norberg och Järnet
Jernkontoret (publ.), Järnet och Sveriges Medeltida Modernisering
Kapp, Kapp & Yoshihara, The Craft of the Japanese Sword
LaRocca, Rediscovering the Arms and Armor of Tibet
Lendon, Soldiers & Ghosts
Manouchehr, Arms and Armor from Iran
Meyer, The Art of Combat
Molloy, The Cutting Edge
Nagayama, The Connoisseurs Book of Japanese Swords
Needham, The Development of Iron and Steel Technology in China
Oakeshott, European Wepaons and Armour
Oakeshott, Records of the Medieval Sword
Oakeshott, The Archaeology of Weapons
Oakeshott, The Sword in the Age of Chivalry
Ogawa (ed.), Art of the Samurai
Ôtake, Katori Shinto-ryu
Peirce, Swords of the Vikign Age
Pyhrr, LaRocca & Ogawa, Arms and Armor; Notable Acquisitions 1991-2002
Sachse, Damascus Steel
Sato, The Japanese Sword
Seitz, Svärdet och Värjan som Armévapen
Sinclair, Samurai
Skoss (ed.), Keiko Shokon
Skoss (ed.), Koryu Bujutsu
Skoss (ed.), Sword and Spirit
Takawa, Kapp & Yoshihara, The Art of Japanese Sword Polishing
Waldman, Hafted Weapons in Medieval and Rennaisance Europe
Williams, The Knight and the Blast Furnace
Williams, The Sword and the Crucible
>>
File: 411959DSC92141reduite.jpg (387KB, 2537x3809px) Image search: [Google]
411959DSC92141reduite.jpg
387KB, 2537x3809px
For TV, documentaries and the like there really doesn't seem to be much worthwhile out there. "The weapons that made Britain" isn't awful at least. Tod's stuff has some good bits of material on crossbows up on Youtube.

Add in some history books and general reading up on battles and whatnot for context, as well as some HEMA, Kendo etc practice to help get more of a feeling for how these things flow and handle, visit to auction viewings to get to hold a number of these objects in your own hands and feel them, as well as running around to a decent number of museums to see even more of it all in person.

That'll get you started.
>>
>>34960622
Natgeo made a nice documentary on medieval fighting tactics by Talhoffer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=johsROyZLSk
>>
File: Filename Pending (45).jpg (326KB, 2730x1890px) Image search: [Google]
Filename Pending (45).jpg
326KB, 2730x1890px
>>34957054
Here's the downlow on swords;
Type XIIIa is king.
>>
>>34957054
swords are kind of awkward
they require good foot work and strong wrists to be really effective

parrying and blocking is possible
it just has to avoid the edges and focus more on defection

when dealing with an equally armoured opponent
one method is to get in close and overwhelm them
take them to the ground and use a dagger to get into some gap or weak spot

helm number 1 has a smaller helmet inside of it
the outer helm sits on top with a liner
great helm is supported by both his head and his sholders and to some extent his hips
their are four straps that secure the helmet to his chest girdle both on front and back
for a better view the helmet can be worn on his back by using the straps

>>34957168
chain mail is kind of weak to slashing motions
>>
>>34958796
https://youtu.be/j_6bmrqIsP8
>>
File: fry.png (220KB, 604x452px) Image search: [Google]
fry.png
220KB, 604x452px
>>34960858
Talhoffer has gotten a relatively large amount of exposure in what counts as the mainstream here due to Mark Rector publishing a translation, along with some extra material. Unfortunately Talhoffer doesn't seem to be all that good a source on Lichtenauer tradition, being perhaps more of a fancy shit sales pitch. Add in John Clements and his very, well, "special" approach to all of this (sure, he might be or have been good at hitting people with a sword, but we want it to be historically accurate as well here) and I wouldn't feel comfortable putting someone who hasn't gotten a good deal of other material in him first as ballast before that documentary.
>>
>>34960878
>parrying and blocking is possible
>it just has to avoid the edges and focus more on defection
Edge to edge parries are everywhere in fighting treatises though, even a lot of japanese styles do parry edge to edge when they bother to parry (they are much more focus on counter-cutting techniques).
The edge is much stronger than the flat, thus why it's what you want to use to parry.

But of course dodging and beating the blade is better if you can do it...
>>
>>34961208
plus most people don't realize how FLEXY most swords are. parrying on the flat will flex the shit out of your blade and be a weak parry/block. you *could* use that to your advantage, but generally not advisable.
>>
>>34957054
OP I'll give you two youtubers with good info.

Skallagrim is entertaining and mixes a lighter education on medieval style weapons with modern cutting tests and other fun/stupid shit. He's entertaining and just knowledgeable enough.

Next is Scholagladiatoria. He is much more knowledgeable than Skallagrim on historic weapons/techniques, and also more knowledgeable on HEMA fighting practices. But he's generally long winded and less entertaining. I find it all entertaining and educational though.

Both of them will also break down movie sword fights, GoT fights, etc... with historical perspective on fighting styles if you like that kind of shit.

Last point, unrelated to the youtubers:

Swords are sidearms generally. Think of them as a pistol. Nobody wants to go into battle with a pistol. Soldiers will generally be equipped with a longer range weapon for battles. Spears and other polearms reign supreme compared to swords. Swords are a backup, or they are your personal weapon while traveling, in town, etc. They are generally inferior to battle type combat as a main weapon, despite Hollywood's fascination with them.
>>
File: 1302787732371.jpg (3MB, 2338x1501px) Image search: [Google]
1302787732371.jpg
3MB, 2338x1501px
>>34961249
That flexibility is somewhat directly connected to strength, and this in turns is a big part of why we don't want to block like that. Think of how you'd break a plank.

Another factor is biomechanics. You are a lot weaker trying to push back against pressure on the side of the blade, and you're at your strongest pressing with the edge. Here too you can just think of how you normally push, punch and hot things, be it with your bare hands or with a hammer, mallet, whatever. The wrist is built to work primarily in one direction.

B y now the only major person still dismissing the edge parry is John Clements, which is a large part of why I dismissed him like I did above. Unfortunately he's the one that all the "documentary" makers go to...

>>34961290
>Think of them as a pistol. Nobody wants to go into battle with a pistol.

I have a feeling that this analogy may be taking things a bit too far. While swords were inmost cases sidearms on the battlefield (not that you'd be less dead being killed in a back alley robbery), it seems to have been a pretty good idea to being one along to most battlefields, judging by how many would bring one or even two (for cavalry) along. Perhaps melee combat simply was much more likely to move past polearm range to sword range than modern combat is likely to move past assault rifle range to I'd-rather-have-a-pistol range (however short that'd be). Another possibility is that the various polearms and whatnot had a worryingly high rate of breakage in combat (a good ash shaft will take a lot of punishment, but violently smashing it into things is kind of the point of the exercise), making a backup much more desirable. Either way, the value of side-arms appears to have been rather greater "back then".

And taking your posts backwards and ending on youtube, I'd recommend getting an "ignore youtube channel" addon to your browser, all for lindybeige's sake.
>>
>>34961444
yeah my analogy of swords as sidearms is knowingly exaggerated. but to get the point across.

I think they were often widely used as you state, but still often as backups, as you state. But yeah after the initial clash of spear/poleaxe and things are getting tighter, I can definitely imagine dropping it and drawing your sword to be widely done on the field.

Also, I'm not super up to date on youtube shit, or what /k/ likes and I'm not quite grasping what you're getting at on the last comment.

Thanks for extrapolating though
>>
>>34961249
Even with not so flexy blades like the japanese ones, you don't want to parry with anything else than the edge, it's just mechanically speaking the strongest and safest part of your weapon, if you're down to damaging it, better be useful at least.
>>
>>34957203

Half the tards on here haven't handled an edge weapon in their life unless you count a butter knife as one.

Go do your own damn research.
>>
File: Pretzel 2.jpg (933KB, 1296x972px) Image search: [Google]
Pretzel 2.jpg
933KB, 1296x972px
>>34961527
>yeah my analogy of swords as sidearms is knowingly exaggerated. but to get the point across.

Sadly it seems to me that it's often the exaggeration that gets across, not the point.

>Also, I'm not super up to date on youtube shit, or what /k/ likes and I'm not quite grasping what you're getting at on the last comment.

Don't watch his shit. It's shit.
>>
>>34961798
>Don't watch his shit. It's shit.

him being lindybeige? Never watched him. heard a bit of his name though.

I don't have enough time to really follow youtubers, I'll watch the beginning of Skallagrim or whoever when taking a shit if a new one pops up though
>>
>lindybeige hate
I thought I was the only one who thought he was a load of shit.
>>
>>34963654
Lindybeige is bit-rate archaeologist who spent most of his youth larping with losers in the woods, and has somehow convinced people that he knows all about these various historical topics, when in reality he knows absolute fuck-all.

Case in point, see his absolutely pathetic "Bren vs Spandau" video. Better yet, don't give him the views. He basically insisted on calling the MG34/42 a Spandau because "that's what all the British soldiers were calling it in WWII," even though nobody fucking called it that, and he even went as far as to say the MG34 and 42 were the basically the same gun. You know, except for the receiver layout, locking mechanism, fire control group, and barrel assembly. He got called out by pretty much every single person with even a cursory knowledge of firearms, then had the audacity to make a follow-up video to explain why he was actually correct.
>>
>>34957054
it is sad that nobody recomended knyght Errant
https://www.youtube.com/user/neosonic66/featured
>>
>>34961444
The "I'd rather have a pistol range" is basically, "this dude is strangling me, I wish I had something to shoot him with," range.

Aside from being inside a vehicle, I can't think of any time I'd prefer a pistol over a long gun.
>>
>>34963654
Go to /his/, mention lindy and watch the fireworks.
>>
>>34957752
ARMA is a meme in the HEMA community. They run their clubs like super secret bullshido dojos and consequently their interpretations are probably the least accurate out of any serious fencing organization. They don't deserve the amount of popular exposure they get at all. And let's not even get started on Clements himself.
>>
>>34957054
>When the sword hits the Saracen just right.
>>
>>34965466
>Aside from being inside a vehicle, I can't think of any time I'd prefer a pistol over a long gun.
Matix and Platt called from 1986, you also want a long gun inside a vehicle...
>>
>>34960607
actual...books? That I'd have to ...read? Invest hours in learning?

Can't I just watch a documentary and know everything?
>>
>>34960878
>weak to slashing motions
you mean stabbing yes?
>>
>>34961798
Hey KM, I know you know your shit. You say youtubers are not to be trusted - How knowledgeable and trustworthy are Scholagladitoria and KnyghtErrant about their stuff? I heard someone says they're just hobbyist that sometimes talk from their ass when they face something that they don't actually know. Did he just shittalking, or did his saying holds water?
>>
File: Pretzel 3.jpg (323KB, 917x540px) Image search: [Google]
Pretzel 3.jpg
323KB, 917x540px
>>34969674
Yes, that's where we are at the moment. Also, I forgot one.

Adolphson, The Teeth and Claws of the Buddha
>>
>>34970002
I haven't bothered with much of Easton's stuff, but he seems to be in a position to have a clue at least, so hopefully his videos may be somewhat reliable.

I had never heard of KnyghtErrant before. A quick look at a pair of his videos and he may have a clue as well. That he seems to have a relatively tight focus helps here too, he may be clever enough to stick to what he knows.
>>
File: 1472818821876.png (513KB, 470x483px) Image search: [Google]
1472818821876.png
513KB, 470x483px
>>34960888
>this is a cringe thread now
>>
>>34970002
Matt easton runs a hema school and generally knows what hes talking about.
>>
>>34970031
was actually making of the anons who think everything is on the interwebz

Lot of good knowledge that isn't on the web. Youngfags don't get that. Appreciate the list.
>>
>>34970878
making fun of*
>>
>>34960607
Any Turkish or Eastern European centric sources you're familiar with?
>>
>>34969680
no
later on chain mail is used to cover gaps in plate that are vulnerable to stabbing
.eg arm pit and elbows
>>
File: 1502759826355.jpg (105KB, 640x852px) Image search: [Google]
1502759826355.jpg
105KB, 640x852px
>>34971010
Unfortunately not. I saw this one mentioned in a thread a little while back, it might have something, but otherwise the book on Iranian weaponry is as close as it gets. And that one unfortunately has a large gap starting at the introduction of Islam until the shamshir as we know it is fully developed.
>>
>>34970277
I also watch Tod Todeschini, he seems to know his stuff.
How about Shad? Metatron? Yes, his vids are pure cringe, but do he at least knows something on what he's talking about? If not I'll stick to Euston, Todd, and Knyght.
>>
>>34970814
generally?
>>
File: Lindholmgård Mose_sværd.jpg (102KB, 1200x634px) Image search: [Google]
Lindholmgård Mose_sværd.jpg
102KB, 1200x634px
>>34971195
>Shad?

Searching youtube for that gives me this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX2MCQB715E&list=PLk_hDVBdrbjtihwG1i0b3PqEOuV1gV1a-

How very Eurovision.

>Metatron?

I do see where you got the cringe angle, though there's plenty of room for further distilling IMO. Doesn't seem terribly focused topic-wise Checking a video on semi-random, his samurai armour comparison video seemed like it existed largely to be an ad for the armour selling company, but jumping around a bit I didn't trip on any lindy style nonsense at least.
>>
>>34971357
I think he means Shadiversity
>>
File: 1499018467027.jpg (27KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1499018467027.jpg
27KB, 400x400px
>>34964329
>>34963654
>double majored in archaeology in college because it was interesting
>embarrassed to bring it up because 99% of people with any interest in the field are cringy retards

Archaeology is Monongahela burial patterns and ceramic analysis through hundreds of hours in the lab and poring over impossibly dry factory records, not fagging out over swords and battles all day.
>>
>>34970002
Matt Easton cites primary sources almost every time he makes historical claims and is always clear about when what he says is conjecture. He also buys and sells antique swords for a living and did archaeological work related to some medieval battlefield, as well as wrote the foreword in some books about historical swordsmanship like Kinsley's ''Swordsmen of the British Empire''. So I'd say he is probably the most trustworthy person on the internet where historical swordsmanship is concerned.
>>
>>34960878
Here we have the meme-educated "expert"

Edge on edge is shown in all the fight books I'm aware of.
>>
File: 1501796699572.jpg (142KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1501796699572.jpg
142KB, 1024x1024px
>>34960878
>chain mail is kind of weak to slashing motions

This is how people know to ignore you.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.