[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Armslist scammers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: Screenshot (75).png (127KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (75).png
127KB, 1920x1080px
I've gotten multiple messages in a similar vein about a gun I'm selling
>I'm not in the area
>Give me your address and I'll send a cashier's check
>Then you can mail my FFL your gun
Is this coincidence or is there something nefarious here?
>>
it's BS don't fall for it
don't waste time with anyone who won't be willing or able to meet in a PD parking lot
>>
nah bail on that. keep everything local.
>>
>>34956436

go for it & tell the buyer you will have to wait until check clears before sending gun

cashiers check from major bank should be reputab le
>>
>>34956436
Wait they want to send the check and when it clears you send the gun?
>>
>>34956472
So whats the end goal, I guess they can get my address but they're not asking for money, or does that come later?
>>
The way this scam works, they send you a check for extra, beg you not to cash it, and ask them to send them back the difference first.

Then their check bounces. I won't actually be a certified check.

Don't go for it.
>>
>>34956436
Yes
I'ts a scam
How new are you?
>>
>>34956501
the check will be processed, appear to go through, and then bounce leaving you with no money and no gun
>>
>>34956514
Huh, seems like a lot of work for not that much money, had the same thing earlier and the guy was going to send $50 extra, for the amount of time and pain it takes to get $50 you could earn more from a minimum wage job.

>>34956525
Been here a while but I've never heard of this particular scam before
>>
File: mfw shatan is a woman.jpg (71KB, 947x675px) Image search: [Google]
mfw shatan is a woman.jpg
71KB, 947x675px
>>34956514
>cashiers check
>bounce
>>
>>34956501
Example 1: Dr. Dipo Morgans of another wants to buy your used gun for $500. His friend, Mr. Okuta, will be sending you a cashier’s check for $800. You are to keep $500 for the gun and send the remaining $300 to Dr. Morgans.

Example 2: Dr. Dipo Morgans of Nigeria wants to buy your used gun for $500. He will be sending you a cashier’s check for $800 on the understanding that you will forward $300 of it to the company that will be transporting your gun to his location.

The cashier check for the larger-than-necessary amount arrives and is duly deposited in the seller’s bank account.
Three days later, the check appears to clear, and any freeze the bank had placed on these funds is removed.
Satisfied that the check was good (the bank had released the funds, after all), the seller wires the overage to the person it’s owed to and waits for shipping details.
No shipping details arrive.
Two weeks later, the seller is informed by his bank the check was a forgery.
The seller is now out the amount he wired to someone else.
>>
>>34956548
How will it "appear to go through"? Doesn't it go or not go?
>>
>>34956552
Google cashier’s check scams. It happens quite a bit more than you might think. These are really common.
>>
>>34956572
Huh, interesting, glad I double checked. Still surprises me one only wanted to go $50 over, thats a lot of effort for so little money.
>>
>>34956573
Depends on the bank:
When you deposit a fraudulent check in BOA, it will show as "pending" but the amount is pre-credited to your account (or at least $300 will be). This is a service they provide, but it's really just a credit.

The scammer will try to convince the seller that this pending transaction is actually finalized, since they can see it online. It doesn't always work, but at most they're out a fake check.
>>
>>34956572
>Two weeks later, the seller is informed by his bank the check was a forgery.

Being that the bank cleared it, is this now not the fault of the bank?
>>
>>34956621
Maybe. The scammer wins either way.
>>
>>34956621
No, the bank will not take the blame.
>>
>>34956488
This. Actually had an armslist sale today and it went 10/10. Kept it local, did bill of sale, etc
>>
>>34956720
I actually made a friend on my first armslist buy, he sold me some brand new Bakelites for a fair price and still sells me mags and has invited me to go shooting with him a few times
>>
>>34956436
Why is it that nobody in this thread so terribly certain that it's a scam can't type worth a fuck? Do we have a surplus of Nigerian princes advising op or something?
>>
>>34956708
They cleared it. That's on them after that point.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.