[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is $2.20 per round of .308 a reasonable price? I currently have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

Is $2.20 per round of .308 a reasonable price?
I currently have 100 (one hundred) rounds. How many should i be expending on every range trip, and how many should i stockpile in case of emergency?
>>
File: G3 and horse.png (265KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
G3 and horse.png
265KB, 480x720px
>>34956289
fuck no, at least not in America
>>
http://www.bulkammo.com/bulk-308-win-ammo-308146grfmjmalaysian-540

http://www.bulkammo.com/bulk-308-win-ammo-308146grfmjhirtenberger-960

IDK where you live, but that's pretty overpriced. If you're in the US, most states let you order ammo online and you get it shipped to your door, honestly it's better than shopping in most big box stores for the rates. I only buy ammo at my LGS when I get a new gun or a transfer since I like supporting local business, even then, it's competitively priced.
>>
>>34956289
Jesus dude, that's like 5x too much.
>>
>>34956289
>How many should i be expending on every range trip, and how many should i stockpile in case of emergency?

What the fuck kinds of questions are these?

Shoot however the fuck much you want when you go to the range. If you're happy going and only shooting a box then do that, if you want to blast through 600 rounds and can afford to, do that.

Stockpile whatever you think you'll need. 500 to 1000 rounds per rifle is generally a good amount. If you're worried about SHTF once you get a good rifle and a few hundred rounds of ammo, you're better off investing in medical classes, food and buying a large plot of land to stash it all on. If you're worried about ammo prices shooting up, just buy in bulk when you find good deals.

Unless you're shooting all match grade ammo, $2.20/round is fucking robbery.
>>
>>34956289
Here In oregon, I can get 20 rounds for my Ruger .308 for 12$
>>
>>34956289
>Is $2.20 per round of .308 a reasonable price?
fuck no, you shouldn't pay more than $.75 a round
>>
>>34956289
>Is $2.20 per round of .308 a reasonable price?
if i wanted to shoot $2 bills out of a gun, i'd be using .45-70 government.
taste the rainbow. shoot the rainbow.
>>
>>34956406
>>34956365
>>34956304
0:<
I knew it was fuckin unreal to be paying upwards of $2.50 for a single bullet
I live in Guatemala, and not many people here own rifles, so i guess it's a combination of niche market and shitty govt. regulations that have me coughing up a quarter of my paycheck for a single box of .308
How i envy you people of freedom
>>
>>34956500
>I live in Guatemala
well that's a horse of a different color. you would need to ask other guatamalans
>>
>>34956524
I just wanted to compare with americans because i've heard the "1000 rounds per rifle" advice thrown around, but 1000 rounds of my chosen caliber are worth about half a year's worth of minimum wage, no rent, no bills.
>>
>>34956289
Just buy 7.62x51mm in bulk. You shouldn't pay more than a dollar a round.
>>
>>34956556
>https://ammoseek.com/ammo/308-winchester
good luck finding someone that'll ship to guatemala. i highly doubt they will. but if you ask really really nicely, who knows.
>>
>>34956556
You sure you're converting to freedom bucks correctly?

The questions to answer your "how many rounds a year" question are "what are you doing with the rifle?" and "how gud do you want to git?" A more objective way to think about this would be to ask yourself how often you want to practice and what drills you'd want to practice when you go to the range. You can total up the rounds for the courses of fire you select, add some extra, and multiply that "range trip total" by the amount of times you go to the range in a year. You might look up appleseed matches or high-power (read: centerfire, and thus dominated by M16A2 spec AR-15s) matches, and use that to aid your decision for range trip ammo budgeting.

>556 get
>>
>>34956556
Most American gun owners don't have 1000 rounds for all their firearms combined, much less per rifle. That's prepper talk. And most American gun owners don't shoot anywhere near 1000 rounds a year. They go to the range maybe once every few months and shoot a few dozen rounds. People who are serious about practicing use cheaper calibers like .22lr, 9mm, and .223, and buy in bulk when prices are good.

Also, $2.50/round is expensive by US standards, but some of the above posts are misleading. Ammo quality matters too. 30 year old Malaysian milsurp is going to be dirt cheap compared to new-production hunting or match-grade ammo from a reputable company.
>>
https://www.wikiarms.com/group/308win
>>
39 cpr for the surp malay. 45-48 cpr for the germ or aust surp. 40-50 cpr cheap commercial depending on deals.
>>
>>34956818
>Most American gun owners don't have 1000 rounds for all their firearms combined, much less per rifle

I hoard calibers I don't even own guns for. I do it show dominance over the rest of the gun community.
>>
>>34956730
It took me half a year of a minimum wage job to afford the Q14,000 rifle, amd 1,000 rounds of ammo cost Q16,000
It's pretty fucked, yeah
Tanks for the advice though, and i guess if i get my friends to come to the range with me i can get them to shell out the money for a box or two
>>
File: IMG_0493.jpg (960KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0493.jpg
960KB, 2592x1936px
>>34956850
>>34956818
I'm positively jelly
Pic related, my very unwise financial investment into a hobby i can't afford yet
>>
>>34956871
sounds like your next save-it-up-for is reloading equipment
>>
>>34956871
Why did you pick a .308 then? 5.56 would have been cheaper unless the ammo market down there is completely upside down.

I know some countries do that bullshit where you can't own "military calibers" but .308 is a NATO round just like 5.56 so I doubt that's it.
>>
>>34956891
There's no 5.56 down here
That's only for "competition" ar15s and fuck me sideways if i can afford one of those
I picked .308 because i wanted something that would kill a man dead in one shot, because we're limited to bolt action rifles for any caliber above .22LR
Plus, the scout is very sexy
>>
>>34956909
What is a "competition" AR like down there if you can only have bolt actions for calibers bigger than 22lr?
>>
>>34956909
Get a .22lr and shoot 100 rounds of that for every round of .308 you shoot. Then if you ever need to use the .308, you'll actually be good enough to do whatever you need to do with a bolt action.
>>
>>34956871
>if i get my friends to come to the range with me i can get them to shell out the money for a box or two

That's always worth trying. I would use the rule "bring the ammo that you want to shoot," and explain how much you shoot and let them gauge for themselves what their wallets can take.
>>
>>34956289
For the expensive high end stuff, yeah, but for most cheap stuff it's like .35 cents per round. But that is in the US. I'm not sure if we're you're from should be different. Try brands like wolf, bear, and tul.
>>
>>34956881
Don't call it unwise yet anon, I've bought plenty of guns despite being working class, you just have to budget for them. Is it at all possible to order ammo online where you are?
>>
>>34956556
If you already own a .308, just invest slowly over time in some quality ammo and some cheap stuff to get accustomed to the firearm.

Otherwise, you're honestly better off buying some kind of 9mm carbine or a 556/7.62x39 rifle. Something with a ton of surplus ammo lying around, or something that you can just afford to feed.

Good luck guatemalabro
>>
>>34956950
Oh sorry, i mean you need a special (and expensive) "sporting license" to own an ar15 or anything of the sort, and i don't even know how to get registered with a shooting club
>>
>>34957074
Not that i know of, no.
And i really don't want to deal with customs regarding anything firearms related- what a nightmare
>>34956964
I'm in the army reserves and we've had our shooting qualifications- so i know i'm not completely useless with a rifle
Anyway, i plan on doing 80% dry fire practice and 20% live fire practice, that way i can get to know the action before i go blowing my money on ammo
>>
>>34956524
How hard was it getting the gun? I'm in Mexico but it's a long ass process to get even a handgun in .22 here.
>>
>>34957114
Thanks freedombro ;)
>>
File: 1474163450212.jpg (666KB, 666x666px)
1474163450212.jpg
666KB, 666x666px
>lives in fucking Guatemala
>doesn't state this fact in the OP

dumbass.
>>
>>34957169
I went to a gun shop, picked out a rifle
Two days later, came back with the money, my photo ID, and my phone bill
I paid them to handle the paperwork, so they got copies of my ID, and took the address from the bill and, without many hiccups, the rifle was ready for me to pick it up about a month and a quarter later.
It usually doesn't take that long, though, because there was a problem with my birth certificate about halfway through, so we had to start from the beginning.
>>
>>34957196
I just wanted to know what citizens of freedom paid for their ammo :(
>>
>>34956524
> mfw I'm on a Guatemalan firearms enthusiast imageboard
>>
>>34957205
Aw man Guatemala has much more lax laws than here.

Apart from only having like 2 (legal) gun stores in the whole country we have to get a license first which already takes a long time and can only get certain guns in certain calibers and even need a permit just to move the gun from one place to another.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.