[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Duck Hunting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_20170816-031054.png (206KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170816-031054.png
206KB, 800x480px
Hey /k/ I'm hoping to go duck hunting this fall but I've never shot/owned a gun what advice do you have for practicing and what type of gun to buy
>>
>>34952657
Does Canada not have a hunter saftey requirement.
would be a good place to start and is probably required.
lots of good basic info when i took mine.
>>
Thx
>>
>>34952657
105mm Gau would be the safest OP
>>
Go shoot clay. Made it a little easier, ducks can move pretty quick so clay isn't 100% but you get use to following through.
>>
>>34952657
Single shot 12 gauge, 2 3/4" no. 7 steel shot.

All of that can be had for less than $150, and will kill ducks just fine. Later you can get buckshot and slugs for deer. If there is only 1 gun you can have, a 12gauge is a respectable choice since it can do a lot for cheap.
>>
>>34952657
any twelve gauge will work fine. look for something with a detachable choke or an improved choke barrel. might want to look into a recoil pad or padded vest to help you with the recoil; being as you are a noguns. make sure you hunt with steel shot shells too. using cheaper lead shot should probably only be used for skeet and trap. plus if you wound and don't kill what you shoot at, they could be poisoned by the lead.

duck calls could be a viable purchase. if you're not hunting with anyone more experienced, buy a call and start practicing now. meme's aside, duck commander really does make a good duck call. decoys are a damn good investment if you take to the duck hunting genre. you get what you pay for though.

extremely long term, you might wanna consider getting and training a dog for retrieving your kills. don't think that'd be viable at the moment though. camo however is. buy something that can blend in locally and is seasonal. there's too many brand options to narrow down, so you're gonna have to shop for it. your biggest thing would be a duck blind. some people buy them from the store, others make them. just make yourself a small structure where you're hunting that is covered in fresh branches. big enough that you're comfortable sitting in, and small enough that it's not like similar to a cabin. think like a personal dog house with an open roof.

as for practice, just shoot clays. some ranges throw them fast enough to mimic waterfowl. you can buy a cheap thrower and clays from wal-mart for like $30.

no joke and if it particularly interests you, look into the duck commander dvd's. you'll learn a lot. there's other duck hunting vids and the like. but it's just easier to watch the duck commander stuff as they're more watched and easier to find.
>>
>>34952657
Also, Geese are a bit easier than ducks. They are larger and a bit more aggressive, so they dont get spooked as easy, meaning you can get closer to them without them flying away.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.