[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Savage 10P or Remingotn 700 SPS? The person in question wants

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: spst6.jpg (99KB, 640x406px) Image search: [Google]
spst6.jpg
99KB, 640x406px
Savage 10P or Remingotn 700 SPS?

The person in question wants to play "Sniper" and has the bankroll to buy either, as well as good glass.

I don't know much about bolt rifles so I'm asking you guys.

>Disclamer

I own a 10P Threaded Heavy bolt, barrel. So my opinion is skewed.
>>
>>34949979
Remington*

Jesus.
>>
>>34949979
>being a push feed pleb
http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-70/model-70s-in-current-production/model-70-coyote-light.html
>>
>>34950009
>http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-70/model-70s-in-current-production/model-70-coyote-light.html

>jeweled bolt
Groce. But what's this about push feed? Also I'm not asking for myself.
>>
>>34949979
I'd get the savage or a tikka/sako.
>>
>>34949979
Short game? Savage 10p, you will be happy playing sniper with it for about a year ,get bored, and move on

Long term

Remington, upgrades are miles better than savage, and while not as "good" (all factory rifles are shit pretty much unless you start spending stupid money.) out the box, it will be easier to improve upon.

tl:dr

Savage for "lul snipper riffle"

Remington for " Its like a boat."

Are you looking for suggestions on other rifles or just the two?
>>
>>34950012
Pre 64 and current production Model 70s have controlled round feeding, this means that the extractor claw grabs onto the rim of the cartridge and holds it as soon as you press the bolt forward. Rifles like the Model 700 are push feed, the extractor doesn't grab the rim until the cartridge is chambered. This mainly matters for dangerous game hunters, when a mistake with a push feed rifle means a double feed, the same action with a controlled feed rifle results in successful chambering of the cartridge.
>>
>>34950027
>Are you looking for suggestions on other rifles or just the two?

This isn't for me, so sure. Like I said earlier, I already have a 10P with a heavy bolt and a threaded heavy barrel. I told him I'd research before I suggested what I got(I got it for a good deal, private sale).

>>34950045
Ah. Learned something. Thanks anon.
>>
>>34950052
a Weatherby Fibermark Mark V might be worth a look, as are the Tikka T3's , Bergara has some interesting rifles as well that are of nice quality
>>
>>34949979
bergara is very similar to a r700 action in that it will also take 700 footprint stocks, triggers and scope bases. they also have a pretty good rep online, but they are running around the same price as the r700 police models.
>>
>>34950133
>Weatherby Fibermark Mark V

He wants .308, so that's not gonna fly.

>Tikka T3's

Could work.

>Bergara
http://bergarausa.com/bergara_premier_series_stalker_rifle.php

This is probably going to be my primary suggestion. Thanks guys.

>>34950172
I checked them out, see this post.
>>
>>34949979
>wants to play sniper
>has money
Texas Brigade Armory M40A1 or Tac Ops Tango 51
>>
>>34950180
I've never fucked with a Bergara but I can honestly say the T3 had one of the smoothest actions I've ever had the pleasure to feel. Have him at least look at one of the variants.
>>
>>34950182
>Texas Brigade Armory M40A1 or Tac Ops Tango 51

Jesus Christ I didn't even know these existed.

>>34950195
Will do. Are these special order guns or do you think a gunstore would stock these?

That's probably the most difficult part of all this. Most gunstores stock entry level shit, like Ruger Americans, Savage Axis and other standard "Hunting" rifles.
>>
>>34950209
>Jesus Christ I didn't even know these existed.
Do you like what you see?
>>
>>34950318
I do, but I can't afford it senpai.
>>
>>34950209
It depends because I've been to gunstores that have almost every model while others won't even have one. I've had more luck finding them at bigger stores like scheels and sportsmans warehouse while my LGS only had one of the basic bitch variants.
>>
>>34950336
Hmn.

I'm in Georgia, so I'm stuck with small gun stores and shit like Cabellas
>>
>>34950343
What region?
>>
>>34950348
As low as Fayettevill to as high as Marietta/Suwanne.
>>
>>34950343
Yeah I'm in the Midwest so I don't really know what you got out there but I do believe cabelas carries some models of Tikkas.
>>
>>34950343
Go to the cabelas gun room thing. They always have cool shit.
>>
I'm considering a 5r milspec for a halfway m40 "clone". With the rebate going on it'd be $650 for one, then I'd get it cerakoted black and swap the stock.
Am i going full retard here? It'll be my first bolt action
>>
>>34950359
Die Muslim faggot and die fir being a trip fag
>>
>>34949979
>Savage 10P or Remingotn 700 SPS?

The SPS doesn't even freefloat the barrel when you rest it on a bipod...

>The person in question wants to play "Sniper" and has the bankroll to buy either, as well as good glass.

Euhm, if he has the cash (in accending price range):
Tikka T3
Sig Sauer SSG3000 / Sig Sauer 200 STR
AI AT308 / Sako TRG
AI AXMC
Custom gun, Surgeon/Badger/Tiller/etc.

>>34950381
>I'm considering a 5r milspec for a halfway m40 "clone".

I've only known one guy who bought a 5R and he had to send it the fuck back because it had a damaged bolt and a huge fucking gash on the chamber.
I have no fucking clue what Remington QC people are doing if that kind of shit goes out to customers, especially for their more higher end weapons...
>>
"Tactical" bolt guns with decent performance at a decent price:
Ruger Precision Rifle
Savage Ashbury
Mossberg MVP-LC

Ridiculous quality nail drivers:
Cadex CDX-30 Lite
Surgeon Scalpel Short Action Custom
Surgeon CSR
>>
>>34949979

McMillan A3 stock.

Remington 700 XCR II chambered in .300 Win Mag.

High quality glass.. Nightforce, Zeiss, Swarovski, Schmidt & Bender or Steiner.

Buy enough ammo to practice a lot or get into reloading for higher precision.
>>
>>34950027
If you're going to buy a Remington, you might as well flush 600 dollars down the drain because the only thing you MIGHT end up using is the receiver which even then is going to be completely rebuilt. Its better to build a Remington now, than it is to buy one and throw everything out. Fuck, with the money saved, fucking spend it on a Krieger barrel then.

Their barrels are horrific trash, grossly inaccurate, which is an easy 3-400 dollars immediately being thrown in to get a gunsmith to swap it out because you're not going to be able to do that much shooting with a 2 moa barrel, their stocks have gone to shit, their triggers are ass but that doesn't matter as that's one thing you're universally going to be replacing.

At least with the Savage 10 FCP, for 600 you get a heavy fluted threaded barrel that gets sub moa with 168 hp boat tail.
>>
>>34950013
>>34950027
>>34951533

I'm with these anons.

Tikka t3x is one of the few guaranteed MOA guns you can buy stock and will spoil him with the action, if I was going to suggest anything for a hunter or just someone trying to out-do their friends cheap that would be the one. Though theres not as many aftermarket parts for it as remmy, its one of the models that's more largely supported in the short action calibers like 308. The remington 700 will be the most aesthetic but the entry models are going to be shit in comparison to either without spending enough to buy at least another. The r700 AWR (underrated pretty gun), Sendaro, and to a lesser extent their "long range" gun will do well and not be overly expensive. The latter two will have the look he's probably after.

Shame he wants 308, there's been a pretty big shift away from it with precision shooters. Pic is a 6.5 lapua t3x in an KRG x-ray chassis
>>
>>34951804
Please re-read the third line of text, focusing on the bit in parentheses.
>>
File: 1502906244536.gif (2MB, 380x285px) Image search: [Google]
1502906244536.gif
2MB, 380x285px
>>34949979
I went the 700 sps route when I first got into guns, I like the rifle a lot and it is quite nice and very accurate...but it didn't come that way from the factory. It needed a new stock, the stock had to be bedded to the action, it needed a new trigger, it needed a rail, and something needed to be done about the bolt handle...it is awful to use once you have optics on ( krg bolt knob cover is the best choice in my opinion because to the ease of installation and your not losing any strength by chopping the factory knob off) and after all that your barrel still isn't threaded. Also the finish on the gun is by far the most prone to getting surface rust of all the guns I own. Anyways, I probably had about 1300$ into my 700sps before optics to turn it into a good rifle. I think there are better options out there. Honestly, if I was doing it over today knowing what I know now, I would probably just get something else. For me personally, I would probably go with a Ruger PR in 6.5 as it roughly the same price as what you'll have in the 700 after fixing all the deficiencies, but there are alot of other options too...that is just my pick because it is basically turn key.
>>
>>34951804
I agree with everything you said...besides the factory barrel being 2 moa...my factory 20in SPS barrel shoots sub moa easily after doing everything in >>34952224
>>
>>34952273
I've seen a number of 700s that were honest to god, 2 moa+ rifles.

I wish I knew where it was, but I've got a folder loaded with photos of Rem 700s he's worked on, of just the barrels being horrifically unfinished. My two favorites were one comparing a Tikka barrel being smooth, having beautiful rifling, a polished crown, and the Remington having a literal unfinished crown on the barrel, the second being a bore camera shot of the rifling that was so inconsistent i'd pass for something someone cranked out on their home made barrel cutter.
>>
>>34949979
I recommend the winchester 70 another anon suggested.

If friend has the money like you say, he can get a GAP rifle. They usually have a few in stock if you call them, if not the turn around is a few months. They are equivalent to tac ops tango in terms of quality. Tac ops is just more special in that it is handcrafted, is built to crazy specifications, and has an awesome finish. FYI tac ops has a 2 year waitlist. Ive been waiting 4 months now on mine.

If youre friend cant bankroll a GAP, either get a ruger precision rifle, or build a remington up.

Quick way to build up a rem 700 is to get a 700 sps aac sd model. It has a 20in heavy contour barrel, 1:10 twist, and get it in 308. Then purchase a xlr envy chassis, so that you free float the barrel and dont need to wait a year for a mcmillan or manners stock to be fitted, you can do it yourself. Then buy a badgers mount, badgers rings, and get one of the following scopes depending on how rich your friend is, in this order; Schmidt and Bender, Nightforce, Vortex Razor, Athlon Cronus. Then get a bipod, harris if your cheap, atlas if you can afford it. Then get a scope cant level, this helps with accuracy. And lastly, get a bunch of aics mags and factory match ammo to test what ammo your rifle likes.
>>
If you plan to throw an optic on it, and keep it stock, go with the savage. If you are gonna spend time and money on upgrades, the Remington is the way to go.
>>
>>34949979
Remington is out of the running as far as out of the box precision rifles are concerned. Remington shouldn't be considered as far as any firearm goes, quality control has become notoriously shitty. Dont be fooled by the fact that the M24 is from Remington. That's actually built by hand by competent gunsmiths. The rest of their line is not.

Savage 10P or FCP or FCP-SR are good contenders. Bergara's B14 HMR excites me, but I dont have any real experience with it. The Ruger Precision Rifle is probably the most popular out-of-box precision rifle these days. Tikkas are also known to be good. Basically what I'm saying is he should get anything with a heavy barrel that isn't a factory Remington 700.

While .308 is very popular, it is markedly inferior to 6.5 Creedmore. If he wants the best short action round, go 6.5. If he's only going to shoot match grade, go 6.5. If he wants access to plentiful, cheap or match grade ammunition, go .308.
>>
>>34949979
If he's got a "bankroll" then:

Remington 700 PSS
Remington 700 LTR
>>
Dont be a fag op, prairie gun works timberwolf
>>
>>34953691
I wouldn't be surprised if I just got lucky...it's no different than Marlins going to shit after Remington bought them up.
>>
>>34949979
I have both, The Savage is best
>>
File: 15035442893821759096307.jpg (2MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
15035442893821759096307.jpg
2MB, 2160x2160px
I started off with a Remington 700 ADL rifle and have been building on it . I wouldn't have it any other way
>>
The 700 Police line is relatively well put together. I'd go there for Remington, and I'd go Remington over Savage unless you're DIY building at home off a stripped action.

My 700P LTR is solid AF. The bolt knob needs to go, but other than that I have no complaints.

I don't understand the draw of a modified Ruger American in a fancy chassis (RPR) but that's just me. People who have them love them for the most part.
>>
>>34957307
Send your Rem700 bolt to Badger Ordinance and they will install a better bolt knob
>>
>>34957307
Check out KRG bolt lift or bolt lift sv, they go over the factory knob. I like the sv because it smaller and textured...the original is a little to large for my taste. It is a nice alternative to chopping of the factory knob, drilling out the arm, then soldering in a threaded stud. Plus your knob retains all it strength instead of only being attached by a 1/8 threaded bolt
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.