[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shooting through walls

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

Hello fellow /k/ommandos,

What are the best rifle rounds for shooting through walls that can still reliably kill a human target standing behind it?

Are there any other than .50 BMG that are suited for such an application? What shape and material composition would make a given bullet ideal for this purpose?
>>
>>34946973

Pretty much everything will go through interior house walls and remain lethal.
>>
20mm is pretty good at defeating material and isnt a .50 BMG
>>
>>34946989

I was thinking something that could reliably penetrate brick or concrete at a distance without altering the trajectory.

>>34946997

True, but they're overkill for soft targets behind those obstacles. I'm looking for something a little more portable.
>>
>>34947070
7.62x54r
Big enough to bast through most bricks and a REASONABLE amount of concrete
>>
>>34946973
7.62 REAL FUCKING NATO will go through anything short of brick or concrete with decent reliability.
>>
>>34946973
.22 won't penetrate walls, but if there's an open door around it'll eventually bounce through it and kill whoever's on the other side.
>>
>>34946973
.22lr, it has only enough energy to penetrate one wall and will bounce around inside and liquify everyone.
>>
>>34947070
30-06
>>
>>34947366
goddamnit
>>
>>34947115
>>34947298
>>34947415

How reliably would these rounds penetrate your average concrete wall at their maximum effective range?
>>
>>34947479
30-06 will penetrate about 2 cinder-blocks if FMJ and not hitting the center reinforcement. Accuracy will be affected.

You can always run AP ammo though and be good for a building.
>>
File: 20170421_183215.jpg (794KB, 1161x2064px) Image search: [Google]
20170421_183215.jpg
794KB, 1161x2064px
>>34946973
I bought a semi-auto 308 with the idea that I'd be able to magdump through my front door or an attacker's vehicle after a string of local home invasions.

I wanted to see what kind of penetration I could really get out of the mag of 175gr HPBT Match King I had set aside for "That moment", and found it would reliably go through medium sized trees at 100m without issue. I tried out the bulk milsurp, and even the cheapass 147gr ammo would reliably penetrate, but it would be tumbling on the far side. The heavy (expensive) match shit would go straight through six inches of tree and continue flying true.
>>
>>34946973

M855 maybe

.300 Winchester Magnum definitely
>>
>>34947361

>Bounce through it

>There's a home invader
>Shoot from behind door with 10/22
>Rounds bounce off door towards me
>Rounds bounce around door towards home invader
>Round bounces off of door into home invader and bounces around his skull and bounces out of his head and into my head
>Round bounces around in my skull
>Bounces out of my head and into my family's heads
>We all die
>Bullet continues bouncing around house for eternity
>>
>>34947616
>five centuries later an archeologist digs up a ruin and opens the door
>bullet escapes the house
>millions die
>>
>>34946973
9mm will go through a brick wall and multiple interior walls before stopping so any rifle round will do the same
>>
>.44mag if it's loaded hot enough
>.454 casull, especially from a (most likely, lever) rifle
>.45-70 most notable would be the extreme penetrator rounds
>.338 lapua magnum
>.375 Holland&Holland Magnum, if you want to reliably kill a charging rhino through a wall
>7.62x54r with a steel core would punch through a single layer of brick or hollow concrete without any problems
>>
>>34946973
get a .177 caliber air rifle. the most deadly round in existence. even isis thinks it's overkill.
>>
>>34947616
>>34947695
oh you two
>>
How many walls could these rounds penetrate before losing enough energy that they either stop or tumble? Would AP ammo make a difference?
>>
>>34946973
When Dirty Harry needed a rifle he used a .458 winmag.
I wouldn't settle for anything less.
>>
File: firecracker.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
firecracker.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
.338 lapua
>>
>>34947115
I happen to have a few armor piercing incendiary 7.62x54R.
>>
>>34947070
>I was thinking something that could reliably penetrate brick or concrete at a distance without altering the trajectory.

no you weren't. you weren't thinking at all, dumb fuck. how do you intend to hit your target when you cant see the target through brick/concrete

shouldn't you be on the school bus
>>
>>34946973
>ITT: OP plans how to "accidentally" kill his loud as fuck neighbors with an ND or 30
>>
>>34951588
>>34952025

OP here. This thread was actually inspired by a debate with friends after seeing the movie Eraser (classic 90's Arnie action flick). If you haven't seen it, there's a rifle that fires some kind of ultra-light, super-high velocity bullet that can shoot straight through homes/buildings, and it's equipped with an X-ray scope that allows the sniper to see through walls. Since the latter is science fiction and the former seemed to violate the laws of physics, we were arguing about what real life bullets are able to penetrate multiple barriers while staying on target.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.