[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Outdated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 10

File: MaDeuce.jpg (34KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
MaDeuce.jpg
34KB, 1200x800px
>Heavy ammo, carry less of it
>Recoil is all over the place, like a broken washing machine clanking back and forth
>HEAD SPACE AND FUCKING TIMING
>No quick barrel changes
>Shitty little peep sight that is impossible to use when engaging full auto
>Worthless at night because of the fuckhuge muzzle flash that washes out Nods
>Heavy as a building
>Military still servicing receivers from WWII that have long since warped
>HEAD SPACE AND FUCKING TIMING
>Pain in the dick to assemble/disassemble
Is it time to move on to another platform? New round? What happened to the upgraded M2's that were supposed to take service?
>>
50 cal fire is 50 cal fire
>>
>>34942377
>Heavy ammo
That's the whole point you absolutely fucking mongoloid
>>
>>34942377
Good thing you don't have to worry about head space and timing on new(er) 50s, huh?
>>
File: 1493317072168.jpg (50KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
1493317072168.jpg
50KB, 480x600px
>>34942414
That still doesn't refute the rest of the talking points
>>34942392
I'd much rather have the M240 if I'm not shooting at fucking aircraft, APCs, or tanks desu
>>
You a retard or just a Marine? The new M2A1 fixed the head space and timing issue. Army has had them for some time now
>>
>>34942424
I didn't know that. Notice I mentioned at the bottom of the OP what happened to the updated M2s? Is that what you're referencing and are they being issued en Masse? I had a receiver dated 1945 when I was in. 19 FORTY FUCKING 5 for fuck sakes, you can change internals all day but that fucker is long warped. Most of our .50s didn't work, or didn't work to enough effect to have confidence in it. Granted this was 2007 so maybe shit has since changed
>>
>>34942426
Guess I'm just old. Probably retarded a bit as well
>>
>>34942444
What are you, a POG? Nasty Girl? Stop making posts about shit you know nothing about, fuck boy.
>>
File: Hello.jpg (2MB, 2304x3072px) Image search: [Google]
Hello.jpg
2MB, 2304x3072px
>>34942519
I was 11bravo got out in 2010
>>
>>34942519
>Fuck boy
What are you credentials besides a BA in Urban Linguistics?
>>
>>34942377
03 here. I've been in one engagement with the M2 in Iraq in 06. It lasted only 5 mins, and was around 800m distance with some shit-tier insurgent "sniper"

I enjoyed it a ton; Was able to punch through walls, the recoil did not throw off the accuracy (even at 800m). Just a beautiful gun in general. I'd be sad to see it go.

Maybe there's a better version of a 50cal on the horizon, which would be cool.....but to do away with the 50 entirely would be foolish.

If interested, I can provide stories from my platoon when the 50 anti-material qualities came in handy.
>>
>>34942377
03 here again. I've also never heard of an engagement where a barrel change would really be necessary. I mean, the firing position would have to be stocked with a fuckkkkkkk tonnn of ammo to even be able to throw enough volume of fire to warrant a barrel change.
>>
File: AbsoluteKino.jpg (274KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
AbsoluteKino.jpg
274KB, 750x500px
>>34942833
>>34942812
Sure go ahead. The only time I attempted to engage with one was in the middle of the night chasing a car through some muholla in Baghdad in our 1151s. Fucker jammed on me when I tried to shoot through the back of the car we were chasing. Like some episode of Cops Baghdad, chasing cars and shooting .50 at them in tightnit streets. I was lead gunner alot, told my TC I don't feel comfortable with the .50 up top, he agreed and I rolled 240 the rest of the tour
>>
>>34942377
M2A1s are replacing all M2s you dumbass.

>Recoil is all over the place
Mk 93 mount dampens recoil you dumbass.

>No quick barrel changes
Not needed just like on 20mm guns you fucking dumbass.

>Worthless at night because of the fuckhuge muzzle flash that washes out Nods
M2A1 has a flash suppressor you dumbass

>Military still servicing receivers from WWII that have long since warped
M2A1s are not from WW2 you dumbass.
>>
>>34942875
Hey relax now I've been out awhile I didn't know they were transitioning to M2A1s. That's why I even brought it up at the bottom of the OP...dumbass
>>
File: maxresdefault (7).jpg (86KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (7).jpg
86KB, 1280x720px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Medium_Machine_Gun
>>
>>34942874
So I should say, full disclosure: I never operated with them in convoys, so mine wouldn't get too shitty. My unit was actually augmented to a boat company (SURCs) and we patrolled the Euphrates.

First week my unit was there (after the transition) the CO decided to push way up into territory the previous unit had not gone into. On the way back down the river my unit was hit by multiple ambushes. Estimated enemy killed 8-10. We took one casualty (saw gunner shot in hand and neck)

> The section of river we're on is littered with ancient aquaducts...like some Ottoman empire shit.
> One ambush ends.
> As the unit is pushing away my buddy, another 50 cal gunner on another boat says he thinks he saw an insurgent pop behind one of the aquaducts about 100m away.
> Gets permission to fire
> Can't see the guy so he just unloads 20 or so rounds in the area of the aquaduct.
> Aquaduct falls, crushing him

Same day, different ambush.
> Same gunner thinks he sees an insurgent behind a bush 50m away
> Brush too thick to see
> Asks scouts on the boat if they see anything
> Nope, but throw some rounds in it, see what happens.
> Throws two bursts in.
> Scouts see visible pink mist fly out the back of the bush.
>Yup, a bad guy was in there.

Point being, these are two situations where anything less than 50 probably wouldn't have either killed (in the 1st story) or given a visible confirmation of kill (the 2nd). Without a 50 cal, you don't get a visble pink mist at less than 10 m (at least, not that I know of). And 7.62 sure as hell couldn't knock down a stone aquaduct.
>>
>>34942812
Theres been a better version of it since shortly before the end of the cold war, Noone wanted to buy it after the SU fell so development stopped.
>>
File: SURC Ramadi.jpg (42KB, 600x294px) Image search: [Google]
SURC Ramadi.jpg
42KB, 600x294px
>>34943464
Here's a SURC
>>
File: Ductwork.jpg (235KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Ductwork.jpg
235KB, 1280x720px
>>34943464
And here's one of those aquaducts I was talking about. Though in my memory, they were made of bigger blocks...but I could be wrong.
>>
File: mfw.png (572KB, 600x580px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.png
572KB, 600x580px
>>34942572
>being in the Army
You're lucky they trusted your downie ass with a machine gun at all
>>
>>34943478
>>34943492
The horror, the horror
>>
>>34942444
Yeah. About that.
>what happened to the ugraded(?) M2's?
They entered service 11 years ago and all active duty units have completely replaced the older receivers with them.
>>
>>34942572
Then assuming you were active duty, you had the M2A1 for 4 years.

Active component had 80% issuance at the start of FY07 and 100% issuance by the start of FY09. Combat Arms units in the NG had 90% issuance by FY11, I can't find stats for combat arms in the Reserves, and CS/CSS units in the NG aren't getting them at all.
>>
>>34943464
Thats pretty awesome, thanks for sharing.
>>
>>34943579
I never used the M2A1, there wasn't one in my company. Two tours to Iraq, got out in 2010. Active duty. You don't know quite as much as you think there high speed
>>34943501
Son don't make me put my boot straight up your ass
>>
File: Long_Trang.jpg (9KB, 297x350px) Image search: [Google]
Long_Trang.jpg
9KB, 297x350px
>>34942377
>Recoil is all over the place, like a broken washing machine clanking back and forth

>In 1967, Hathcock set the record for the longest sniper kill. He used an M2 .50 Cal Browning machine gun mounted with a telescopic sight at a range of 2,500 yd (2,286 m), killing a Vietcong guerrilla.
>>
>>34942377
>heavy ammo
You want it to not do it's intended purpose then?
>recoil
It's a big bullet
>headspace and timing
Kind of important if you don't like exploding
>peep sight
It's a HMG, tracers are a thing that exist
>worthless at night
Tracers
>heavy as a building
It's a big gun
>serviced since WWII
Still gets the job done
>Headspace and timing
Having 10 fingers and an intact face is a good thing
>assembly
Compared to?
>>
>>34942425
>if I'm not shooting at fucking aircraft, APCs, or tanks desu
Isn't that its main purpose? Its not really an anti-infantry weapon right?
>>
The US military needs 50 cal. guns that operate on open bolt gas-operated mechanism. Recoil operation for larger cals are defunct.
>>
File: plastic-50.jpg (19KB, 179x300px) Image search: [Google]
plastic-50.jpg
19KB, 179x300px
>>34942377
>heavy ammo
We're working on it ok?
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.