[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Faxon barrel or shit shooting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: Lightweight20AR1.jpg (30KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Lightweight20AR1.jpg
30KB, 480x360px
Just built my first AR 20" with a pencil weight taxon barrel and an SJC TITAN. If it matters I ha e an auto bolt and with Hornsby training ammo I get massive fireballs and gas coming out the side of the bolt. It runs just fine though and ejects out a 45 angle.

The problem is that its all over the place. I shoot 55 gr out of a 1:8 barrel which I read wasn't a problem. At 50 it shoots in foot groups,quarter sized groups or some as big as 6" and at 100 its a good 3 feet.

I have done both one eye closed and both eyes open but I havent had much range time with it
>>
Fuck
>faxon
>have
>hornady

It isn't 3 foot if I think about its still 6"
>>
>>34935555
>New AR
>not having multiple brands of ammo ready to diagnose troubleshooting issues

Try some other ammo first, your barrel could just hate the Hornady bullets.

Slightly off topic: if you're using a 20" upper I hope you have an H or better H2 carbine buffer to more closely replicate the rifle buffer weight and reduce the impact on your bolt carrier group.
>>
>>34935623
Do you have any brands of cheap 55 gr non magnetic? Hornady is literally all ive found for .34/rnd
>H brand ;
>>
>>34935682
Where the fuck do you live where you cannot find anything but hornady?
>>
>>34935682
Wolf Gold
PMC Bronze .223
PMC X-Tac M193
Federal .223
Federal XM193
American Eagle .223
American Eagle XM193

How the shit can you only find Hornady?
>>
>>34935555
There is a certain amount of break-in time that a new barrel goes through. I had a new FN barrel that took about a hundred rounds before the groups became consistent. However, it was not shooting minute of van before then.

Fire should not be coming out of your ejection port. You may have have a headspace issue due to assembly error or parts defects.

Your 50% A1 build looks weird. Good luck, guy.
>>
File: 1475387235016.jpg (92KB, 662x687px) Image search: [Google]
1475387235016.jpg
92KB, 662x687px
>>34935705
>>34935784
Yes every thing steel core 62gr is near .75 a round and only federal. Everything 55 gr is .34 and Tula or hornady.
>>34935878
I meant to say I have huge muzzle blast. According to this i couldve been overgassed if not for the heavy auto bolt.
>>
>>34935555
I've used 2 Faxon barrels in recent builds and they've performed far, far beyond my expectations. One is a 20'' GUNNER, it's a great barrel. Honestly, it sounds like you're either fucking up shooting it, fucked up assembly, or are using ammo it just doesn't like.
>>
>>34935555
>I get massive fireballs and gas coming out the side of the bolt.

...and nobody suggests checking headspace.
>>
>>34936842
Bad head space would make it spit fire from the chamber instead of the bolt gas ports. As a brand new build it's more likely that fire out the gas vent ports is due to flammable preservative or lubricant inside the gas system that hasn't all burned off.
>>34935555
Take your muzzle device off, see if that helps.

If it doesn't, take a pin gauge to your gas port, it should be 0.0935 inches give or take .001 or so.

Third, get someone else to shoot it.

If none of this proves a problem, contact Faxton.
>>
>>34935555
If switching ammo doesn't work out, try re-torquing the barrel nut with a torque wrench and follow the installation directions.
>>
>>34937078
>>34936961
op, these.
>>
>>34936777
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R3FDLiWMUTc

Q&A with a rep from faxxon. Your rifle is likely overgassed; many manufacturers drill a larger gas port to ensure reliable function with a wide variety of ammo. The faxxon guy says the same thing.

Overgassing isn't that big of a deal for semi-auto shooting. You can try a H buffer, but I wouldn't go heavier than H in a 20" barrel.

As far as muzzle blast goes, I would think you shouldn't be having fireballs out of a 20" barrel.
>>
Something is seriously fucked up and the rifle is not safe to shoot. Have it looked at by a gunsmith.
>>
>>34937241
He's getting fireballs out of the gas vents, not the muzzle.

Something ain't right here.
>>
>>34937241
>I wouldn't go heavier than H in a 20" barrel.

>H buffer
>3.8 oz

>H2 buffer
>4.7 oz

>H3 buffer developed to add M4 stocks to the M16A2 and M16A4
>5 oz

>A2 rifle fixed stock buffer
>5 oz

No.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.