[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A genuine, good-faith AK critique question.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: AK-74.jpg (680KB, 2560x1554px) Image search: [Google]
AK-74.jpg
680KB, 2560x1554px
Is it possible that maybe we grade AK production a little too hard? I mean some of these torture tests are beyond insane. Just asking.
>>
>>34935239

no, it is sad when the standard is a high quality AK is literally Russian or Chinese military spec. You see the videos of AKOU and Iraqveteran888, that is what an AK is supposed to do but for some reason American craftsmen can't do what combloc nations have been doing for 70 plus years
>>
>>34935288
>American craftsmen can't do what combloc nations have been doing for 70 plus years

They can totally do it but they cut corners so they can keep the cost low for the retarded casual gun owner.
>>
>>34935239
I smell an I.O employee...
>>
File: 1503250660027.jpg (77KB, 750x734px) Image search: [Google]
1503250660027.jpg
77KB, 750x734px
>>34935409
Lol. Yep I'm totally an I.O. employee. Ya done got me anon.
>>
>>34935400

But there is a market for high quality AK's, I think a major thing was that while the AR went through a "Call of Duty" phase with people associating high quality AR's with the amount of railz and magshit you could put on it, all the improved versions of the AK kinda look the same as all the other AK's that came before it. So to the average person, a VEPR that uses a heavy RPK receiver and barrel to make a more durable rifle looks just like a shitty I.O AK
>>
>>34935288
Kek it took the commies to do complex stampings 20 years after the Nazi, who did it in ww2
>>
File: littlepenis.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
littlepenis.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>34935513

Meanwhile I.O. exist in 2017 America.....
>>
>>34935483
>But there is a market for high quality AK's
Now that's a fucking joke.
>>
>>34935239
No. CNC tech and metallurgy is at a point where it should be able to compete with Combloc industrial stamping at the same price. Even minor changes to the design are forgivable if they can still except traditional AK furniture and mags, but we've yet to see an American-made AK that can stand up to an Izhmash before it's altered so much that it isn't even an AK anymore.
>>
>>34935552
accept**
>>
>>34935552

the biggest thing the AK has going for it is economy of scale, combloc countries can use its existing arms factories to churn out AK by the thousands to where they can make a profit with a rifle costing 240 dollars (the amount of money spent by the Russian military per rifle) while the U.S. lacking the proper equipment has to make up the process from scratch which drives up the cost per rifle (along with higher labor costs and all the jazz)

Look at PTR for an example of this, they were alot like Century making parts kits until they got actual HK tooling and design specs and even then it took them years for them to get the PTR to where it is today
>>
>>34935239
Whants insane about it? Robskis test are pretty fair if you ask me especially when it comes to the 5000 round or whatever test.if your rivets or barrel or even your sights are backing out at sub 1000 then something is fucky.
>>
>>34935748
Yeah because every gun should fire flawlessly after 5000 rounds of ammo in one sitting and people often find themselves tying their guns to a golf cart and driving 10 miles off road.
>>
>>34936876
except its not one sitting you dumb fuck. thats retardvet4444 burn testing. AKOU spaces shit out
>>
>>34935288
American craftsmen don't have the boon that is state ownership and QC. They COULD make a fantastic AK, just not competitively
>>
>>34936876

If you consider "milspec" to be the standard then yes, a standard AK should be able to fire 5k rounds without any irregular deformation other than wear you can expect from use

The sad thing is, most AK's in America thanks to companies Century Arms and I.O. are not up to spec but try to hide with by throwing magpul furniture on substandard rifles
>>
>>34936921
Go to bed rob ski.
>>
>>34937073

like I said before, its very hard to tell a quality AK from a shit one especially with all the Magpul shit bad companies are using to mask substandard rifles
>>
>>34936921

>WASR dies at 250
>VEPR 47 "died" at 890 then came back after he smashed it against a table a few times
>VEPR 74 never dies but gummed up because of the laquer on the milsurp ammo

Gee, I wonder which of these AK's are better?
>>
>>34937512
250 what?
>>
>>34937534

250 rounds
>>
>>34937545
That doesn't seem right
>>
>>34935288
>for some reason American craftsmen can't do what combloc nations have been doing for 70 plus years
Because no one is going to pay a 200% price premium for "made in USA"

Molot, Izhmash, Norinco, Radom, Cuigr, etc have paid for their tooling ages ago and have access to lower cost labor, so their entire production cost would be equivalent to roughly 60% of the cost of just a hammer forged AK 47 barrel blank in the US.

Hammer forging is a low cost process, if and only if your order quantity is vast, and there is not vast demand for US made AKs.
>>
>>34937586

>3 sanctioned companies, one that has a history of sending post soviet collapse garbage and one that sends garbage now
>>
>>34937512
>a full auto burn test (which you, Anon Anonson U.S. civilian will never have the opportunity to do because full auto is de facto illegal) is proof of "gudnez" of a gun
>>
>>34937644

When one brand goes 4-5x longer than the other, its a pretty good indication of quality
>>
>>34937628
Still better than US made AKs at the same price point.

If you can convince me that there's 10,000 units a year demand at $1,800/unit, I could make basic bitch AKMs to full Russian milspec, and by 150,000 units, the price would probably fall in line with a milspec AR.

But there isn't.
>>
>>34937512
AKM pattern vs RPK pattern vs RPK-74 pattern
>>
>>34937675

Springfield still makes the M1A do they not?
>>
>>34937696
And they're shit, plus the tooling is paid for, the fan base is automatic (funds cold war nostalgia), and even then, they realize that they can't rely on it forever (Saint).

But talk about another gun that's expensive to make right, fuck a M14 clone that isn't a JRA or Fulton.

At least the chinkies could afford to use a high grade steel in their receiver casting, but the receiver is the only good past of a norchinko M14.

Literally SA uses the milspec steel, but casts it instead of forging, with exactly the results you'd expect.
>>
>>34937692

While it is fair that the VEPR uses RPK receivers and barrels, Rifles from Cugir are known as lowest bidder rifles that often find thier way to the middle east in the hands of terrorists via Saudi or Iranian middlemen (depending on the faction)
>>
>>34937512
wasr had a u.s shit barrel , according to iv8888
>>
Might be a stupid question, but how hard or expensive is it to import some soviet-era AK tooling into the US?
>>
>>34938382
AKs are not made on fancy special tooling, except the barrels are hammer forged.

And even that, they mostly bought that equipment from thing west, often from Steyr.

The problem isn't the tools, the problem is the limited run sizes and western machinist and gunsmith wages.
>>
File: 1497382831038.jpg (122KB, 728x391px) Image search: [Google]
1497382831038.jpg
122KB, 728x391px
>>34935540
>But there is a market for anything high quality
>>
>>34935239

>tfw can't just buy a real commie AK (Russian/Chinese) because politicians never consider the wants of their people and instead just get into dick duels or serve their own interests

I've resigned myself to just being content with my Chinese military SKS. It's durable as a mountain and shoots accurate enough for my needs. I would kill for a real military issued AK though.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.