[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Real AK

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

File: mfak4701.jpg (64KB, 800x460px) Image search: [Google]
mfak4701.jpg
64KB, 800x460px
Alright, so I'm a little confused. Sorry for not being fully educated on the subject, but I have to start somewhere.

I have a bunch of guns, but no AK. Always wanted one, but the thing is that I want the closest thing to a 'real' AK that I can get. I like NPAPs for what they are, but they are new production and ffs have "read safety manual blah blah" stamped on the side

I want an AK that lives up to it's legacy and is a true piece of history. Made in Russia during the Cold War, but still a good shooter. Where can I find this? And if not made in Russia at least in a former part of the USSR.

It's just confusing to me because they were so heavily mass produced, why are they not so easy to find?
>>
>>34926219
Vepr's and Saiga's are made in Russia, but the ones you can find stateside are neither cold war pieces nor are they "true" AK's, being somewhat sporterized.

The guns you can buy such as Arsenal's, etc that are closer to a "real" cold war AK are neither of the appropriate vintage nore are they Russian.

And thanks to 922r, even your most autistic parts kit build using a Nodak Spud receiver and the remnants of a de-milled authentic cold war ruskie rifle will STILL have a US-made receiver and likely a barrel/FCG to stay compliant as well.

So you're pretty much stuck choosing which of those three appeal to you the most. I went with Veprs due to the 100% Russian provenance and the fact that they are great shooters that are also built like tanks, even if they are more sporterized RPK's than straight AK's. Your mileage may vary.
>>
>>34926299
so why do all veprs have such gay thumbhole stocks???
>>
File: sam-7.jpg (42KB, 777x298px) Image search: [Google]
sam-7.jpg
42KB, 777x298px
AK-47s like in your picture weren't actually produced in that great of numbers. When people think "AK", they're usually thinking of the modernized AKM. The primary improvement the AKM had over later AK-47 variants was the use of a stamped receiver, making them much cheaper and easier to mass produce, hence their proliferation. Very early AK-47's had a stamped receiver, however the manufacturing process wasn't quite figured out yet, so the milled design was used as an interim solution, until stamping was perfected.

Getting Russian AKs in the US has historically been spotty because of politics. Due to recent restrictions, Russian AKs are once again hard to get (short of paying out the ass).

The closest thing to a Russian AK-47 you can readily get is probably a Bulgarian SAM-7. They're basically just a modernized AK-47 featuring a few AK-74 parts (90° gas block, thin style bolt stem, etc). They're pretty close overall though, seeing as they have a forged receiver, double hooked trigger, and double tanged stock. They've seen use in a bunch of conflicts, and Bulgaria was formerly Warsaw pact. So Bulgarian AKs are usually regarded as the 2nd choice for collectors, next to Russian AKs. Owning both, the Bulgarian AKs usually have a slightly better fit and finish than their Russian counterparts, though they're practically the same thing.
>>
Just buy a WASR
>>
>>34926485
this is where I'm a little confused. Are all WASR's new production? i could have sworn that i held one years ago that had a stamped date of like 1973 or something on it.

I don't know a lot about AK's, and to me, that's okay, but i just want one that is a bona-fide commie gun, and looks like a classic ak with the wooden stock etc, that's all.
>>
>>34926874
Some are new production, some are built from old parts kits. They were the bottom of the barrel AK for a long time (until domestic US AKs took that title from them), so they're basically a grab bag of parts.

Now let me be clear, WASRs are perfectly functional AKs, and there's nothing wrong with them from a practical standpoint. Their fit and finish is just poor. Unlike US AKs, which are complete garbage.
>>
>>34926332
Thank 922r for that. There are adapters for them, though.

I honestly may keep the thumbhole stocks on mine though, they're really just THAT comfortable. The only thing more comfortable that I've shot, in terms of stocks, was an anschutz target rifle.
>>
>>34927160
I can second this. The stocks may be ugly as hell, and there strictly for compliance reasons, but they are very comfortable.
>>
>>34927084
>>34927084
thank you for that.

so, from the pure standpoint of functioning quality, npap or wasr?

i still can't see the point of buying an AK that's not made under communist rule
>>
Arsenal Sam 7. Commie as Commie gets. we are going to see less and less of them.If things do.not change with the administration.
>>
>>34927325
but no wood stock though
>>
>>34927310
WASR, the chrome lined barrels they come with are actually pretty nice. Their BCG is also forged.

You'll probably wanna scrap the furniture it has on it though, for a nicer wood set. They used to come with decent surplus Romanian stock sets, but new production ones have crappy balsa wood furniture. You can still get original Romanian stock sets pretty easily/cheaply though.

>i still can't see the point of buying an AK that's not made under communist rule

Galil and Valmet would like to have a word with you.
>>
>>34927084
what is with the whole meme of 10rnd single stack mags; get cut from wasrs or some shit. is this still being done today?
>>
>>34927441
It's a hack to get around unconstitutional import infringements. They come in as "single stack" guns, then they're converted back into nearly proper double stack form (they don't have the receiver dimples).
>>
>>34927467
so fuckin' dumb. if you buy a wasr, should you be concerned of wobble or badly cut tolerances?
>>
>>34926219
>Made in Russia
>Real AK
Well, You can find Saigas and VEPRs, maybe even an Izhmash. But "Real AKs" as to how you specify them are growing in price and being sold less due to 922R and sanctions on Russia.
Your best bet is to find a WASR, Zastava or Arsenal as they are the closest to your "real AK" definition.
>>
>>34927496
What do you mean? WASRs are extremely well built. Most 922R compliant parts also tend to be well made. Its locally made rifles that are entirely fucked up like IO, DDI and CAI.
>>
>>34927520
ok thanks for that. i really want a wasr but i also really want an npap. WHY CAN'T MILO MAKE A CHROME LINED BARREL? FUCK MAN!
>>
>>34927496
No, magazine wobble is inherent to all AK pattern rifles, even those that were always double stack. It's a purely cosmetic attribute, Kalashnikov personally detailed to trigger /k/'s autism.
>>
>>34927530
The yugo stock angle is kinda annoying, and chrome lined is the shit, stick with the WASR.
>>
>>34927541
>>34927555
thanks qts
>>
File: Bulgy74.jpg (648KB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Bulgy74.jpg
648KB, 2448x2448px
>>34927555
ehh, I have a Yugo, and the chrome lining doesn't really matter. I have some 10k rounds through it, mostly shit, but I live in AZ so it's not a lot of humidity. I'll agree with the furniture and so I added an ACE folder skeleton stock as well as a hogue grip, but let the food front stay on. It's a comfy little franken shooter.

OP, You can get a parts kit, to meet your specs. Seriously, a Childers or Nodak receiver and have someone build for you. It will be about the same price, and you can choose exactly what you want.
>>
>>34928409
eh i really don't want to do a build though, that defeats the purpose.

i just really want a relic of soviet russia. you know what my favorite part of my nugget is? the hammer and sickle and the year 1943 stamped into the receiver. It's amazing to me to hold it and know what was going on around it when it was made. I love how it may have seen action and otherwise sat in a warehouse in commie land until the soviet union fell and then i got it.

I want the same feeling with an AK. I know it has to be converted to a certain extent, but I want the closest thing to the real thing as possible
>>
>>34927375
That's what legionUSA, apex, or the guys on AKfiles drop-shipping surp stock parts are for.

If I ever ditch the (beautiful, tiger-striped, and incredibly comfortable) furniture that came on my Vepr 5.45 for something legitimately wood, I'm going to go the AKfiles route so at the very least I'll have a stockset that actually removed Kebab in Chechnya.
>>
>>34927541
Can attest. My Vepr's wobble even with the OG Molot waffle mags. I think it's part of the AK pattern's wonderfully agricultural "charm"...
>>
File: AK-47.jpg (398KB, 666x1000px) Image search: [Google]
AK-47.jpg
398KB, 666x1000px
WASRs aren't that bad. Even though my AK technically isn't a WASR, its a GP 1975. I haven't had a single problem from it.

Recover date of 1990.
>>
Just get a kit built if you want as authentic as possible. Go ask around /akg/, one anon there just finished getting a 1983 Soviet AKS-74 kit built, one anon is in the process of getting a 1988 Soviet AK-74 kit built, and one trip is in the process of getting a 1987 Soviet AKS-74 kit built and a 1968 (I believe that's the date) Soviet AKM kit built. There are a few guys there who are all about kit builds and clone builds, one guy is in the process of building his second RPK-74 from a Russian parts kit and that's serious dedication as that's like $3k+ and years of time spent waiting on stuff. They'll be able to really help out any questions you have on getting an as authentic as possible AK to your liking.
>>
>>34927084
>Some are new production, some are built from old parts kits.
Since when is Cugir building WASRs from parts kits? Are you confusing the WASR with the GP1975?
>>
>>34926463
The Type I IS the AK-47, so both the AK-47 and the AKM have stamped receivers.
>>
File: b0bf66f6d5075aa6a39be3deeeeab992.jpg (553KB, 1600x790px) Image search: [Google]
b0bf66f6d5075aa6a39be3deeeeab992.jpg
553KB, 1600x790px
Get one of these instead
>>
>>34930285
Holy fuck, you're being such a faggot
>>
>>34930285
You realize that the Russians didn't serialize their receivers right? Their serial number was on the front trunnion. So even if you use a US made receiver for a kit build you could just buy an autistic clone receiver with correct markings and still look the part. All of the markings you're after will already be visible on the front trunnion.
>>
>>34932880
Not him, but initially the 10/63s were factory rebuilt from machineguns into sporting rifles for export.
Since ~2008 they dropped the /63 and make them will all new components.
>>
>>34933933
>Not him, but initially the 10/63s were factory rebuilt from machineguns into sporting rifles for export.
Oh, yes. I don't consider that really a 'parts kit', though, and they weren't old. They were rejected new production.
>>
>>34935029
>They were rejected new production.
>Trunnions dated in the 70s-80s
"No"
>>
>>34926219
>>34926219
This question is classic tiptop newbie
>>
>>34935740
>OP admits he knows nothing about the subject
>you still have to point out his "newbieness"

I bet you're a hit at all the parties
>>
File: 1447371012321.gif (4MB, 344x203px) Image search: [Google]
1447371012321.gif
4MB, 344x203px
>>34931358

>melts after 250 rounds
>>
>>34927325

still isn't a VEPR
>>
>>34927160
>Thank 922r for that.
It's not 922r, it's that they have to be sporterized to be imported.
>>
okay, so from what i've gathered, it's not actually possible to buy an ak that was made in soviet russia and taken from said area of the world and brought over to the usa, tweaked slightly to meet gay laws and sold?

everything is either new production or complete frankenstien guns with mis matched parts?
>>
>>34936986

Depends on what you mean by AK

The Russian approach to firearms is to use the same AK action and switch out the furniture to something more fudd friendly when they want to sell a "hunting" rifle. So Saigas and VEPR's are the closest thing you can get to an AK (or in the VEPR, an RPK shorten down into a AK length rifle)
>>
>>34937021
okay so the answer is no i can't buy an AK, the most abundantly produced firearm in history, that's just been converted from full to semi auto. so where in the world can I buy that if not in the united states?

it's like saying hey lets take this bolt from a mosin nagant that is real and then fabricating all of the other parts including the stock and maybe finding a sight from a real mosin and sticking that on there and saying look! a mosin nagant! just like stalingrad!....when what you would be holding is not a mosin nagant at all, it would be a gun that looks like one

these ak's aren't actually ak's. they are guns that look like ak's

will there be a day that we can actually buy them? i mean aren't there warehouses full of them somewhere?
>>
>>34937102

by that definition you can't really buy real M4 rifles and everyone is making clones
>>
>>34937144
uh well yeah
>>
>>34926219
Norinco Legend. Bring your wallet.
>>
>>34936448
But he didn't say he didn't know anything
>I bet you're a hit at your alternative school
>>
File: image.jpg (19KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 300x225px
>>34926874
Alright. Lets start in on this.
Like you anon, im obessed with finding a legitimate AK47.

I (think) I saw a real russian ak in the used bin of my gun shop. Once. It had a star on the side of the reciever and russian writing. i was 15 and it was 900$. Sadly I did not get it.

This was the only "legitimate" ak47 ive ever seen my entire life. And Ive never seen another.

However, if you ask me, a wasr is the next best thing below a real russian AK.
WHat you want is a 10/63. They have bayonette lugs, and generally have better quality. The best wasrs you can find have an armory mark triangle with a date between 1960-1978. Make sure they are STRAIGHT and arent beaten to shit, and they will last you 3 lifetimes. Ive seen wasrs get run over by soviet flatbeds, get bent to shit, and finish off a full magazine. These shitty Npap, zastava, IO, and c39 americunt remakes fail after being dropped from waist height. Fuck modern productions.

The ak market is dying. i remember when I could reliably find a wasr in a pawn or go to the show.

I cannot find armory marked ones anymore, and if they are, its some gay, buttfuck ugly underfolder, or some piece of shit that someone stuck polymer crap to.

Look for a wasr. They are an end of the world gun that still holds the asthetics of the originals, and are almost as durable, provided you get a good one.
>>
>>34936466

with a american barrel

the wasr in the video was a re barreled gunsmith special
>>
>>34939290

still a representation of an American AK that has to deal with out of spec murican triggers, cast trunions etc
>>
>>34936466
I actually tried to to that once, but the handguard almost caught on fire so I stopped, but that was well past 250 rounds.
>>
>>34926463
If you're not a collector or particular about it, I'd still recommend a Bulgarian AK over a Ruskie Saiga or dare I say it, VEPR any day.

>>34936477
Bulgy's have better fit and finish.

Good luck finding one in 5.45, though.
>>
File: h6HtdDM.gif (999KB, 500x236px) Image search: [Google]
h6HtdDM.gif
999KB, 500x236px
>>34940433

Bulgarian AK's from Arsenal have been slipping in quality lately, little going down to WASR tier quality with canted sights, triggers that break after 2k rounds and a finish you can take off with rubbing alcohol
>>
>>34940458
How many instances of the canted sights and breaking triggers exist? I've really not heard of either problems, though I do know of that batch of 107's that had finish issues.

I'm honestly sure there have been outlier issues with Saigas and Veprs too, not that I'm trying to downplay Arsenal being shit. They haven't been producing as much.

>having to convert a vepr though
no
>>
>>34940488

go compare the Arsenal and Vepr tests by Rob Ski, the VEPR clearly holds up alot better

>inb4 muh RPK receiver and barrel
>>
>>34926299
Nobody actually follows 922r unless they're actively selling their products.
>>
>>34940512
At the same time literally no one here's ever going to do what Rob Ski does to his.
>>
>>34940569

true but if you buy a rifle because of its reputation of being rugged and reliable, its nice to know you are getting what you paid for because really with your logic, we should all go get mini-14s
>>
>>34940581
A mini-14 being comparable to what, an AR-15? They aren't comparable. They really, really aren't, save for the cartridge they fire.

And my SLR's been perfectly rugged and reliable. I feed it shit, almost never clean it and I've never had a single FTF or FTE after 4k rounds. Bitch and a half when I DO clean it, but that's the point. I bought an AK for the namesake that they're both of those, because I am certainly getting what I payed for.

>money's worth
>paying an extra $500 on a Russian because muh pre-ban
>>
>>34940616

you pay the same for a SAM7
>>
>>34940633
>implying I bought a SAM7

I went the meme dream 5.45x39 bud. And no you don't.
>>
>>34940569
Except for taping the pistol grip, because that shit is teh sex.
>>
if I had the money I would get an opap underfolder
also known as the gun the ak shouldve been as said by kalashnikov himself
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.